MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by as tough as it gets

363 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (h) sponsored by as tough as it gets

by bcubed » 13 Dec 2020 17:29

Hound
Snowflake Royal His only role is really as a free roaming attacker with little responsibility. He's at least started to put the effort in and chase down, which is good for harrying defenders into a mistake, but not so great for stopping a chance.

Unfortunately, for a free roaming attacker, he simply isn't good enough at creating chances. Yeah he's scored a goal, and done some nice hold up play, turned a few people and put in some decent crosses, but very little he does actually ends in a good chance. His crosses rarely pick anyone out.

He's got no assists, averages half a key pass a game and 80% of his crosses don't reach a Reading player.

He has done ok in parts this season. I’ve liked his attitude and he has had a couple of good displays. But realistically you don’t want him having too big a part if possible

His effort is clearly better than last season but that's it really

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 13 Dec 2020 19:41

Ascotexgunner
Sutekh Both Joao (hamstring) and Meite (knee) are out until the new year.

And Puscas.
Just wondered if there is someone we could push up top......out of position to to speak.

That could be a blessing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Dec 2020 21:36

royalp-we As weird as it sounds I think the best player that is fit and able to hold the ball up bringing others in to play and also hands down actually beating a player in front of him is Ejaria. Probably an awful idea playing him up top but he’s wasted on the wing at times.

Is Ejaria good? He might look pretty with the tricks but he doesn't actually get us any further up the pitch or put in a delivery.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 13 Dec 2020 22:18

John Smith
royalp-we As weird as it sounds I think the best player that is fit and able to hold the ball up bringing others in to play and also hands down actually beating a player in front of him is Ejaria. Probably an awful idea playing him up top but he’s wasted on the wing at times.

Is Ejaria good? He might look pretty with the tricks but he doesn't actually get us any further up the pitch or put in a delivery.

He’s frustrating at times but when you consider he has just turned 23 and being played out of position; you can’t really question if he’s a good player. Clearly one of our most talented players.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 13 Dec 2020 22:21

royalp-we
John Smith

He’s frustrating at times but when you consider he has just turned 23 and being played out of position; you can’t really question if he’s a good player. Clearly one of our most talented players.

Talented =/= good

Being a tricky step over show pony is all well And good in the right place and time and not too often.

Frequently he tries to take one man too many on

One thing he is good at is slowing down play to reset

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2020 08:56

Rafael

Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Gibson

Rinomhota
Laurent

Esteves
Olise
Ejaria

Baldock

Bench: Southwood Watson McIntyre Bristow Tetek Onen Aluko Semedo Melvin-Lambert

From what I can remember of Norwich, their fullbacks get up pretty high to provide the width, therefore we’ll need discipline from our wider players

Esteves isn’t the best option there but I’m hoping he’d be more secure defensively unlike Aluko who’d no doubt lose his man throughout the course of the game or Olise who never really has the same impact out wide than he does central

Don’t feel too comfortable starting two CB’s at FB but really don’t have much choice at the moment

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2020 09:14

looks the right team to me Urrzz. Think Semedo will start though

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Dec 2020 09:30

Simmops
royalp-we
John Smith Is Ejaria good? He might look pretty with the tricks but he doesn't actually get us any further up the pitch or put in a delivery.

Talented =/= good

Being a tricky step over show pony is all well And good in the right place and time and not too often.

How is Ejaria's record for goals and assists this year? I can think of a few moments. Free kick for Joao against Sheff Wed, setting up Meite's opener against Rotherham when we were looking 2nd best against Rotherham. Goals against Derby and Bristol City. Setting up Aluko for a 2-0 lead against Bournemouth. I'm sure I'm missing a few chances created too.

I understand he is young, sometimes frustrating and can still improve. But listening to some people on here, you'd think he is all tricks and no substance, which is demonstrably not true.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2020 09:33

yep moaned about the lazy criticism of Ejaria on here the other day. He's been very good this season. Obviously room for improvement, and he's had poor games no doubts (Birmingham for example). But generally a big plus.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Dec 2020 09:36

Hound yep moaned about the lazy criticism of Ejaria on here the other day. He's been very good this season. Obviously room for improvement, and he's had poor games no doubts (Birmingham for example). But generally a big plus.

Olise has had some poor games too. Obviously he's younger and you can cut him more slack, but the past 18 months or so has been Ejaria's first experience of sustained first team football week in week out. Definitely needs more appreciation for what he brings. And I'm pretty certain opposing defenders and managers don't look forward to facing him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Dec 2020 09:42

Hound yep moaned about the lazy criticism of Ejaria on here the other day. He's been very good this season. Obviously room for improvement, and he's had poor games no doubts (Birmingham for example). But generally a big plus.

Agreed 100%. There has been a significant improvement in both ability and contribution from Ovie compared to last season.

That isn’t to say there isn’t room for improvement, but that is the case with any player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Dec 2020 12:02

Same situation as always with him isn't it. Looks flash, but doesn't produce quite enough, slows down too much (getting better at that) and a touch too many potentially costly turnovers.

If you compare with Meite on the other flank they're chalk and cheese. Meite quickens things, delivers end product, but rarely looks particularly skillful.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2020 12:04

WestYorksRoyal
Simmops
royalp-we

Talented =/= good

How is Ejaria's record for goals and assists this year? I can think of a few moments. Free kick for Joao against Sheff Wed, setting up Meite's opener against Rotherham when we were looking 2nd best against Rotherham. Goals against Derby and Bristol City. Setting up Aluko for a 2-0 lead against Bournemouth. I'm sure I'm missing a few chances created too.

I understand he is young, sometimes frustrating and can still improve. But listening to some people on here, you'd think he is all tricks and no substance, which is demonstrably not true.

He has talent, but the key to unlock the best potential from him is improving his decision making which has admittedly improved from last year but still quite a bit to be worked on

He seemed insistent on dropping deep and central again on Wednesday and he was poor, was better on Saturday but really needs to trust Rino and Laurent to do the transition part from the defence to the attack, no need for him to do it

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Dec 2020 13:05

Ejaria has two goals and three assists this season. He’s only played a third of the minutes he played last season. If he got to six goals and nine assists that would represent a really exceptional season for someone who doesn’t take set pieces.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Dec 2020 13:10

SCIAG Ejaria has two goals and three assists this season. He’s only played a third of the minutes he played last season. If he got to six goals and nine assists that would represent a really exceptional season for someone who doesn’t take set pieces.

I'd say good rather than exceptional. If you want exceptional, look at the stats for the likes of Maddison and Eze before their moves.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Dec 2020 14:36

If you could only keep Olise or Ejaria it would be no contest for me.

Olise obvs

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2020 14:37

bcubed If you could only keep Olise or Ejaria it would be no contest for me.

Olise obvs

which is why Olise is valued at 20m+ and Ejaria isnt

Still doesnt mean Ejaria isn't a very good player at this level

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Dec 2020 15:00

WestYorksRoyal
SCIAG Ejaria has two goals and three assists this season. He’s only played a third of the minutes he played last season. If he got to six goals and nine assists that would represent a really exceptional season for someone who doesn’t take set pieces.

I'd say good rather than exceptional. If you want exceptional, look at the stats for the likes of Maddison and Eze before their moves.

Fair point - they each got 14 goals and 8 assists. Ejaria doesn’t have that sort of goal threat but is starting to appear to be just as creative, particularly considering Maddison was a set piece taker (I’m not sure about Eze). I think good is underselling him, but exceptional was overselling.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Dec 2020 16:46

I'd be setting Ejaria a target of at least 15 goals and assists (total) this season based on his potential and experience.

The reason Olise is on set pieces is because he's good at them. And he got on them at 18. Don't buy an excuse of doesn't take set pieces... get good enough to be on them. Obviously got the talent that should be doable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2020 16:57

Snowflake Royal I'd be setting Ejaria a target of at least 15 goals and assists (total) this season based on his potential and experience.

The reason Olise is on set pieces is because he's good at them. And he got on them at 18. Don't buy an excuse of doesn't take set pieces... get good enough to be on them. Obviously got the talent that should be doable.

Ovie took the one against Sheff Weds for Joao's goal didnt he?

He also has taken a number of shots on goal from free kicks recently - none particularly successful

363 posts