BFTG Norwich

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG Norwich

by Lower West » 16 Dec 2020 23:54

Must be the poorest Championship in years. Norwich are a long way short of being a premiership team. Far better team though on the night.

Same old problems. We sit deep , cannnot get out of own half then gift a slopppy careless goal.

As Birmingham did. Norwich on the offensive had players wide out on either touchline. Then double up on the fullbacks. Ejaria, Aluko, Semodo , Olise drift all over the place (normally centrallly) leaving huge spaces for the opposition to play in.

Thank goodness we've points on the board. As going to be a few barren weeeks ahead. Unless we find a way of playing with the players currrently available.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Norwich

by CountryRoyal » 17 Dec 2020 00:04

Pretty damming assessment. Just watching on sky I didn’t think we did too badly, in fact given the players available that was probably just about as good as I thought we could play, bar a couple of silly mistakes here and there which is frustrating. I didn’t and don’t expect us to really create chances with the way we play and the players we have at the moment. I think I saw enough all round decent play to suggest that we deserve to be fighting at the top end of the championship, we just need our players to do it.

We’ve lost over two thirds of our goals in Joao and Meite, not to mention all the work they do for our style of play in addition to scoring, and one of the best attacking left backs in the league (and that’s just the recent injuries). Any team with those sorts of injuries will struggle, unless of course you’re a Norwich or Watford with good squad depth and largely the same players they had in the premier league.

So long as this period doesn’t affect us mentally too much I think we will be ok and in for a decent shot of the playoffs.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Dec 2020 00:16

Norwich were the better side but it was 1-1 when they were given a gift by yet another very poor referee. It was never a penalty irrespective of whether Moore lunged in. It was a clear dive and yellow card offence.

We started both half’s very slowly and paid the penalty. We played as if we were the away side hoping to catch them on the break and but didn’t have a striker to capitalise. I really am done with Baldock who imo goes down as one of the worst value signings in our history. Twice tonight we broke and both times he wasn’t up to it. The first time he strayed offside. The second occasion he was in a great position on the edge of the box but instead of attacking the defender he went away from goal. He offers nothing but workrate.

I thought Norwich were decent but if we hadn’t been so badly hit by injuries we would have got something from tonight.
Last edited by Zip on 17 Dec 2020 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Dec 2020 01:04

I don`t get this hype about Norwich being a good side, decent and tidy footballing side yes, but take away Pukki and they would only be challenging for the play-offs, they hardly hurt us tonight, a defensive shocker (where have I head that before?) and a dubious penalty were our undoing.
Rafael made a couple of stops he would have been expected to make and a deflection against the post was all they had, I`m more than convinced with a full strength side we would have got at least a point.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Dec 2020 07:32

Zip Norwich were the better side but it was 1-1 when they were given a gift by yet another very poor referee. It was never a penalty irrespective of whether Moore lunged in. It was a clear dive and yellow card offence.

We started both half’s very slowly and paid the penalty. We played as if we were the away side hoping to catch them on the break and but didn’t have a striker to capitalise. I really am done with Baldock who imo goes down as one of the worst value signings in our history. Twice tonight we broke and both times he wasn’t up to it. The first time he strayed offside. The second occasion he was in a great position on the edge of the box but instead of attacking the defender he went away from goal. He offers nothing but workrate.

I thought Norwich were decent but if we hadn’t been so badly hit by injuries we would have got something from tonight.

I don’t see why the Norwich player would dive when he had a clear shot on goal. If you’re being generous then maybe he slipped, but it’s hard to argue that Moore didn’t cause the slip. Tripping or attempting to trip an opposition player is a foul. I don’t think Moore is lucky that he didn’t end up in the book either for the foul (which on another day could very easily have been ruled as reckless) or for dissent.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Dec 2020 08:55

windermereROYAL I don`t get this hype about Norwich being a good side, decent and tidy footballing side yes, but take away Pukki and they would only be challenging for the play-offs, they hardly hurt us tonight, a defensive shocker (where have I head that before?) and a dubious penalty were our undoing.
Rafael made a couple of stops he would have been expected to make and a deflection against the post was all they had, I`m more than convinced with a full strength side we would have got at least a point.

You can’t just say “take away x player and they’d be lower down”. He’s part of Norwich and part of the reason they’re where they are.

Take away Joao and we’d be mid table/fighting relegation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2020 09:04

CountryRoyal
windermereROYAL I don`t get this hype about Norwich being a good side, decent and tidy footballing side yes, but take away Pukki and they would only be challenging for the play-offs, they hardly hurt us tonight, a defensive shocker (where have I head that before?) and a dubious penalty were our undoing.

You can’t just say “take away x player and they’d be lower down”. He’s part of Norwich and part of the reason they’re where they are.

I'm not sure that's true

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Dec 2020 09:07

Hound
CountryRoyal

I'm not sure that's true

Where would we be without Joao’s goals? He has scored a number of goals this season that neither Meite or Puscas would have buried.Without him we are mid table at best.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2020 09:10

Zip
Hound
CountryRoyal

I'm not sure that's true

Where would we be without Joao’s goals? He has scored a number of goals this season that neither Meite or Puscas would have buried.Without him we are mid table at best.

Mid table possibly but certainly not fighting relegation. If Puscas had played every game, he may have scored goals that Joao wouldn't have scored? Likewise Meite will score goals that Joao wouldn't have.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Dec 2020 09:17

SCIAG
Zip Norwich were the better side but it was 1-1 when they were given a gift by yet another very poor referee. It was never a penalty irrespective of whether Moore lunged in. It was a clear dive and yellow card offence.

I don’t see why the Norwich player would dive when he had a clear shot on goal. If you’re being generous then maybe he slipped, but it’s hard to argue that Moore didn’t cause the slip. Tripping or attempting to trip an opposition player is a foul. I don’t think Moore is lucky that he didn’t end up in the book either for the foul (which on another day could very easily have been ruled as reckless) or for dissent.

I don’t think Moore actually made any contact and certainly not sufficient to result in a delayed, theatrical dive. Their player should have been booked for diving.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2020 09:24

Agree with most other comments. Given the personnel we had available that was about the best we could do.

The obvious problem without Joao and Meite was that we did not occupy Norwich's back four allowing them to push up and press us high which led to the first goal.

VAR may have ruled out their pen but we would have wanted it at the other end so swings and roundabouts on that one.

I find it shocking that we do not possess a single full back in the squad deemed good enough to deputise for either Richards or Yiadom, a big problem which must be addressed in January. I thought before the game that Arrons would get joy on the right for Norwich as he is a top young player who likes to attack and is quick. So it proved.

The difference between the squads was illustrated when Norwich brought Cantwell and Hugill off the bench, two players who would be first choice in any other championship team with the possible exception of Bournemouth.

Love to see young players getting a chance but bit too much last night. I really hope Jayden Onen does well and has a good career but you can imagine the call he had with his mum last night.

Jayden: 'Hi mum, I played for the first team tonight for the first time ever.'

Mum: 'That's fantastic, I'm so proud of you. How did you get on?'

Jayden: 'I got booked by the referee before I touched the ball.'

Mum: 'Oh.'

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 17 Dec 2020 09:27

Shows how far we have come under Paunović that I thought we did alright last night, despite the first team squad being depleted with injuries. Imagine if Bowen was still in charge.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Dec 2020 09:42

SCIAG

I don’t see why the Norwich player would dive when he had a clear shot on goal. If you’re being generous then maybe he slipped, but it’s hard to argue that Moore didn’t cause the slip. T

Watch the replays, particularly the one behind the goal which shows that he clearly launches himself into the air. Why did he do that rather than shoot? Because he had taken a poor touch and was struggling to get the ball back under control in time. Also Rafael was well positioned.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Dec 2020 09:43

Been pretty positive after most of our defeats this season but was left slightly disappointed last night, the first 60 minutes were OK but our approach was really poor in the last 30 minutes. I know we’ve got injuries but it almost felt like we were taking the 2-1 loss, didn’t seem bothered in trying to equalise

Rafael 7 - some decent saves

Holmes 6 - did OK, but we need a proper RB in
Morrison 6
Moore 6
Gibson 6 - did quite well, but made the error for their second goal

Laurent 7
Rinomhota 5

Aluko 6 - wasn’t doing tons but shouldn’t have been taken off so soon
Olise 6
Ejaria 6

Semedo 5 - he was poor but he was clearly out of his depth as a striker

Baldock 5 - should have started. No threat off the bench
Esteves 5

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2020 09:45

Mostly a very good performance that was surprising given the line up.

A couple of errors cost us bad and we were unsurprisingly rather toothless without any actual goalscorers and strikers playing.

We competed pretty well with a very strong Norwich side and bar the error driven goals they didn't actually get much change out of our back line.

Got to learn to play a different way with Baldock. Also frustrating we put as many, if not more, crosses in than when we've had a striker capable of getting on the end of them. Crosses with that starting line up are pointless. Needed to test the keeper and try to pepper shots at him, because we sure as hell weren't going to be winning any headed shots on goal with Aluko, Semedo, Olise and Ejaria as the attackers.

Overall disappointed, but pleasantly surprised.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2020 09:59

RoyalBlue
SCIAG

I don’t see why the Norwich player would dive when he had a clear shot on goal. If you’re being generous then maybe he slipped, but it’s hard to argue that Moore didn’t cause the slip. T

Watch the replays, particularly the one behind the goal which shows that he clearly launches himself into the air. Why did he do that rather than shoot? Because he had taken a poor touch and was struggling to get the ball back under control in time. Also Rafael was well positioned.

To play devil's advocate and mentioned elsewhere - there were few complaints from the team and Moore could be clearly seen on one close up saying "Sorry boys" as they set up for the penalty. He knew he had screwed up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2020 10:23

Said elsewhere but no real complaint on the pen. Not sure if he touched him or not - he certainly made a meal of it - but it looked a pen, and was a poor tackle (though tbf as a defender you have to do something in that situation

7 Rafael, Laurent, Holmes, Olise
6 Moore, Gibson, Esteves, Baldock
5 Semedo, Aluko, Rino, Morrison, Ejaria

We tried hard but looked toothless. Couldn't get and keep possession in good areas, esp in the second half, and the relatively poor performances from Ejaria, Semedo, Aluko and Rino a big part of that. We needed to have better possession closer to their goal and force more free kicks, corners etc. Obvs Norwich have real quality in the middle - Skipp and Buendia are just simply Prem quality players playing down a level. Aarons is likewise and have Ejaria and Gibson a hard time.

Norwich knew what they were doing, pressed the midfield well, gave no space to Olise (who did well despite that) and to be honest looked a better side than us. I'd loved to have played them with Swift, Joao, Meite and Richards available mind you, and the balance may have turned.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Dec 2020 10:42

Norfolk Royal Agree with most other comments. Given the personnel we had available that was about the best we could do.

The obvious problem without Joao and Meite was that we did not occupy Norwich's back four allowing them to push up and press us high which led to the first goal.

VAR may have ruled out their pen but we would have wanted it at the other end so swings and roundabouts on that one.

I find it shocking that we do not possess a single full back in the squad deemed good enough to deputise for either Richards or Yiadom, a big problem which must be addressed in January. I thought before the game that Arrons would get joy on the right for Norwich as he is a top young player who likes to attack and is quick. So it proved.

The difference between the squads was illustrated when Norwich brought Cantwell and Hugill off the bench, two players who would be first choice in any other championship team with the possible exception of Bournemouth.

Love to see young players getting a chance but bit too much last night. I really hope Jayden Onen does well and has a good career but you can imagine the call he had with his mum last night.

Jayden: 'Hi mum, I played for the first team tonight for the first time ever.'

Mum: 'That's fantastic, I'm so proud of you. How did you get on?'

Jayden: 'I got booked by the referee before I touched the ball.'

Mum: 'Oh.'

Araruna looked like a useful deputy for Yiadom, good delivery. And Holmes has largely done well, while neither Gibson nor Esteves have been disastrous. Three or four specialists seems about normal?

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 17 Dec 2020 10:54

Forgot to add, I have no idea why Aluko was hooked off so early.

AND

Semedo is not a footballer.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Dec 2020 10:59

They're gloating on their forum on how they managed to make high flying Reading look ordinary. In fairness our squad is paper thin but if one of Meite, Joao or Richards plays the result is different. Thought they looked very ordinary especially so considering the side we fielded. Leeds over the last couple seasons would have hit 8 past that side last night.