Brentford game postponed

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Brentford game postponed

by morganb » 12 Jan 2021 11:40

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 4946503680

Unfortunately, the game with Brentford this weekend has been postponed as a number of Bees players and staff need to self-isolate following positive COVID tests

The fixture will be rearranged in due course. We wish everyone concerned @BrentfordFC a safe and swift recovery.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Brentford game postponed

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2021 11:43

Shame as was looking forward to his one but safety first.

Will have been a good break for the first team game come the Coventry game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Jan 2021 11:44

There will be an EFL investigation as is standard but I don't recall Brentford exactly struggling with injuries so I doubt there's anything suspect about it. If anything it's a major inconvenience for them as they will have an even more compact schedule since they are still in the FA Cup too.

Meanwhile, providing we don't have any further injury set backs, we should be in a better position for the re-arranged fixture.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2021 11:45

:( :(

More time for team to recover I guess. Moore will be back soon. The policy seems inconsistent. We've seen weakened teams fielded, 3 points awarded for no shows in L1 & L2, and postponements. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd say this is a fair outcome. But I'd have wanted a crack at a weakened Brentford

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2021 11:46

Bearing in mind we would have largely socially distanced ourselves from the Brentford players during the game I don't see why it's called off.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jan 2021 11:50

It’s frustrating but another reason why it was sensible to field such a weakened team in the Cup because this may happen again and there could be fixture congestion in the months ahead.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2021 11:50

At least we should have a fit and raring squad against Coventry

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2021 11:51

It is what it is. Shame as was looking forward to it.

Still as mentioned gives a lot of our lads a proper mid season break, bit of recovery time and further time for the likes of Meite and Moore to get back fit.

Reckon we might be a bit rusty after 2.5 weeks without a game, but it should benefit us for the rest of the season

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2021 11:53

I assume these new cases are related to the positive case their manager had.

Looking at free weeks, this one will likely be Tuesday 26th - though doubt we will want to play Tues/Friday or 2nd or 3rd of Feb.

Otherwise will be 10th March at the earliest unless Brentford don't make the 5th round of the cup.
Last edited by Stranded on 12 Jan 2021 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2021 11:54

Some of the team will forget how to play at this point. :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Jan 2021 11:56

Snowflake Royal Some of the team will forget how to play at this point. :wink:

If only so many hadn't been rested last Saturday eh Ian? :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Jan 2021 11:57

WestYorksRoyal :( :(

More time for team to recover I guess. Moore will be back soon. The policy seems inconsistent. We've seen weakened teams fielded, 3 points awarded for no shows in L1 & L2, and postponements. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd say this is a fair outcome. But I'd have wanted a crack at a weakened Brentford

Sadly I think we are moving at a moderate pace now to a suspension and possibly curtailment of the season. There's no additional time in the summer what with the Euros. Brentford are going to be three games behind some teams before they play again - which isn't insurmountable on it's own, but will become so where other teams end up in a similar spot.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2021 12:01

Sanguine

Sadly I think we are moving at a moderate pace now to a suspension and possibly curtailment of the season. There's no additional time in the summer what with the Euros. Brentford are going to be three games behind some teams before they play again - which isn't insurmountable on it's own, but will become so where other teams end up in a similar spot.

I agree it's a risk. As you rightly point out, no slack to finish the season in this year with the Euros, so we may find some points per game method like L1 and L2 last year if necessary. Could say next few games are huge!

On the flip side, we're currently at the worst point in the pandemic as a country. Curtailing in a few weeks makes no sense.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 12 Jan 2021 12:25

Disappointing but as I said last week now that the EFL are doing twice weekly tests for the rest of the season I feared something like this might happen. But as has been suggested we may have a largely fully fit squad for the rearranged game, though may be a bit rusty for the Coventry game next week.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jan 2021 12:28

Along with the players, it also gives the pitch some extra time to recover.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2021 12:42

Feels a ticking time bomb until football is forced to temporarily stop. Hospitals in grave danger of being overwhelmed and our daily diagnosed cases statistic is very high at the moment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2021 12:57

If the cases start coming down they won’t consider it

Tbh if it was going to happen I think it would have by now. Not sure suspending it for a couple of weeks would make much difference to the pandemic but will cause a lot of headaches to the leagues

They really should crack down on the silly celebrations, hugs and stuff though

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2021 13:09

Hound If the cases start coming down they won’t consider it

Tbh if it was going to happen I think it would have by now. Not sure suspending it for a couple of weeks would make much difference to the pandemic but will cause a lot of headaches to the leagues

They really should crack down on the silly celebrations, hugs and stuff though

You under estimate the rashness of the government, they’re considering tightening the restrictions further at the mo and they are not happy with the COVID breaches in football whatsoever. Think it’s more of a moral decision whether to stop than anything else, if I recall correctly back in the spring/summer they said they didn’t care about getting ill themselves, for some they were more bothered about potentially passing it onto household members particularly Troy Deeney with his baby son being vulnerable.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2021 13:12

morganb https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/1348955384946503680

Unfortunately, the game with Brentford this weekend has been postponed as a number of Bees players and staff need to self-isolate following positive COVID tests

The fixture will be rearranged in due course. We wish everyone concerned @BrentfordFC a safe and swift recovery.

Shame the 14 “fit” players rule doesn’t apply in league games :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2021 13:21

Sanguine

Have to agree here. Interesting that the English league has had a lot more issues than the other major leagues - is this just a result of the prevalence of the virus, or that the protocols are either not strong enough or not being adhered to.

At this rate, and with the lack of midweek space, critical mass will hit shortly and we could end up with teams almost having to play Tues, Thurs & Sat to get through fixtures.