MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h)

336 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h)

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2021 14:26

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Disagree. He’s too slow to threaten many players in behind (although obviously there have been exceptions). Hold up play is a major part of his game, and he’s reasonably good at it, particularly in comparison to someone like Baldock. See e.g. his goal earlier in the season when Holmes fizzed a pass into him, he turned his man and scored.

He's not very good at either IMO. His hold up play improved in his few appearances this season, but to suggest it's a major part of his game is baffling. His first touch was consistently poor last season and very little stuck with him at all.

He needs to show a lot more to be a decent lone striker in the Championship. Lots to like in a pair, if we had the right partner and played 2 upfront. But the closest to that is Baldock and we don't.

And yet he scored 14 goals last season which were probably nearly all scored as a lone striker.

Unfortunately that isn’t quite true

He scored 7 goals as a duo (Cardiff X2, Wycombe, QPR, Wigan X3)

He scored 7 goals as a lone striker (WBA, Wednesday, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Luton, Charlton, Swansea) of which 4 of the 7 were penalties (sorry Hendo :wink:)

He improved last year as the season went on and had a v.good game against Watford earlier on this season so there’s hope but his holdup play and decision making really did let him down for too many games last season

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 14:38

URZZZZ
SCIAG
Snowflake Royal He's not very good at either IMO. His hold up play improved in his few appearances this season, but to suggest it's a major part of his game is baffling. His first touch was consistently poor last season and very little stuck with him at all.

He needs to show a lot more to be a decent lone striker in the Championship. Lots to like in a pair, if we had the right partner and played 2 upfront. But the closest to that is Baldock and we don't.

And yet he scored 14 goals last season which were probably nearly all scored as a lone striker.

He scored 7 goals as a lone striker (WBA, Wednesday, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Luton, Charlton, Swansea) of which 4 of the 7 were penalties (sorry Hendo :wink:)

He improved last year as the season went on and had a v.good game against Watford earlier on this season so there’s hope but his holdup play and decision making really did let him down for too many games last season

:D of those 4, which ones did he win as playing as a lone striker, as that would indicate good hold-up/forward play?

Also did well in his small cameo v Cov away this season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2021 14:44

I love Puscas but for a relatively big guy his hold up play is appalling. Any kind of “challenge” against him, defenders hustling him and what not and he falls over. For someone who’s 6ft2 it’s impressively unimpressive.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2021 14:46

Hendo
URZZZZ
SCIAG And yet he scored 14 goals last season which were probably nearly all scored as a lone striker.

:D of those 4, which ones did he win as playing as a lone striker, as that would indicate good hold-up/forward play?

One penalty was a handball

Other three were won by Rinomhota which surprised me actually, don’t remember him winning that many. Backs up Vic’s (think it was him) point that our two CM’s should look to burst forward and carry the ball forward with them and highlights how much of a waste it was playing Rinomhota as an out and out CDM

Back to Puscas though, I think he’s OK and harshly victimised last year but I do tend to agree with the view that the longer players don’t play, the higher they’re regarded

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 14:48

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

Other three were won by Rinomhota which surprised me actually, don’t remember him winning that many. Backs up Vic’s (think it was him) point that our two CM’s should look to burst forward and carry the ball forward with them and highlights how much of a waste it was playing Rinomhota as an out and out CDM

Back to Puscas though, I think he’s OK and harshly victimised last year but I do tend to agree with the view that the longer players don’t play, the higher they’re regarded

I remember Rino winning the pen against Charlton, but I can't seem to remember the other ones. Didn't he win the free-kick which led to the second goal v Bournemouth a few weeks ago? Seems to be a good part of his game that could be utilised more.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2021 14:53

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo

I remember Rino winning the pen against Charlton, but I can't seem to remember the other ones. Didn't he win the free-kick which led to the second goal v Bournemouth a few weeks ago? Seems to be a good part of his game that could be utilised more.

Agreed - good box to box midfielder

Yeah, he won the FK against Bournemouth with a driving run forward. The other ones were Swansea (similar one to Charlton IIRC) and S.United (shove at the back post)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 14:58

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

Agreed - good box to box midfielder

Yeah, he won the FK against Bournemouth with a driving run forward. The other ones were Swansea (similar one to Charlton IIRC) and S.United (shove at the back post)

Something Harper always did well, IIRC.

Ah yes, I remember now.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2021 15:00

CountryRoyal I love Puscas but for a relatively big guy his hold up play is appalling. Any kind of “challenge” against him, defenders hustling him and what not and he falls over. For someone who’s 6ft2 it’s impressively unimpressive.

Yeh, I like Puscas, but he's the smallest 6ft2 guy I've ever seen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Feb 2021 16:14

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal I love Puscas but for a relatively big guy his hold up play is appalling. Any kind of “challenge” against him, defenders hustling him and what not and he falls over. For someone who’s 6ft2 it’s impressively unimpressive.

Yeah was genuinely shocked when I found that out!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Feb 2021 16:31

Pepe the Horseman

Yeh that can't be right?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2021 16:35

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Disagree. He’s too slow to threaten many players in behind (although obviously there have been exceptions). Hold up play is a major part of his game, and he’s reasonably good at it, particularly in comparison to someone like Baldock. See e.g. his goal earlier in the season when Holmes fizzed a pass into him, he turned his man and scored.

He's not very good at either IMO. His hold up play improved in his few appearances this season, but to suggest it's a major part of his game is baffling. His first touch was consistently poor last season and very little stuck with him at all.

His tally was good. But his overall contribution wasn't up to it IMO. And his tally looked like it wasn't particularly repeatable on those performances to me.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2021 16:47

bcubed
Pepe the Horseman

He's definitely over 6ft. Met him in the hotel after a game once and was surprised by how tall he was.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Feb 2021 16:52

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Pepe the Horseman Yeh, I like Puscas, but he's the smallest 6ft2 guy I've ever seen.

He's definitely over 6ft. Met him in the hotel after a game once and was surprised by how tall he was.

Oh I thought you were casting doubts on his height from what you said!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Feb 2021 16:54

bcubed
Pepe the Horseman
bcubed Yeh that can't be right?!

Quoted as 188cm on OS. (6ft 1.6")

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2021 16:58

bcubed
Pepe the Horseman
bcubed Yeh that can't be right?!

Yeh, sorry, I meant he somehow makes himself look a lot smaller than he is.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Feb 2021 17:58

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Pepe the Horseman He's definitely over 6ft. Met him in the hotel after a game once and was surprised by how tall he was.

Yeh, sorry, I meant he somehow makes himself look a lot smaller than he is.

Gotcha
You've painted a picture of someone with very poor posture :D

336 posts