356 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a)

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2021 10:42

Stranded
Westwood52
Nameless
You sound like you need to find another hobby !
You must have started trying to think of negative things to say before the game even started....

Sadly after 60 years of supporting this club,it is no longer a hobby;more a life style choice.I said a few iffy performances.Estevez and Ejaria.I don’t care what anybody says;I really do believe we need to be more ruthless in front of goal.The midfield are short of around ten goals between them.Otherwise we would be top two.Classic Ejaria when in the clear last night;he pfaffed around when anyone else would have just gone straight for their goal.If Brizzie go down,their goalie looks a bit useful.

Your opinion is naturally valid but not sure what else you would expect from us as an attacking force - we're the second highest scorers in the league behind Brentford with only Cardiff, Bournemouth and Blackburn even breaking the 40 goal mark.

If we have any issue it is at the back, as unfortunately we are still seeing the issue that letting in 1 tends to lead to a second or third coming. So whilst we have the 2nd best attack, our defense is doggedly lower mid-table right down in 16th.

Feels a bit harsh highlighting the back given we have only conceded 1 away goal in 500 minutes and no away second half goals since Bournemouth (nearly three months ago) but you’re right and I hadn’t really picked up on it, about conceding 1 leading to a second/third, normally in pretty quick succession too

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2021 10:51

CountryRoyal
Zip Sam Smith scored for Cheltenham tonight and getting some great reviews by their fans one of whom referred to Reading as a “great club”. I hope he can help them go up and join them in League One next season.

No fans is shit. I'm only 5-10min walk away from Whaddon road.

Can we crash at yours after the Cheltenham festival next year?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2021 10:53

URZZZZ
Stranded
Westwood52
Sadly after 60 years of supporting this club,it is no longer a hobby;more a life style choice.I said a few iffy performances.Estevez and Ejaria.I don’t care what anybody says;I really do believe we need to be more ruthless in front of goal.The midfield are short of around ten goals between them.Otherwise we would be top two.Classic Ejaria when in the clear last night;he pfaffed around when anyone else would have just gone straight for their goal.If Brizzie go down,their goalie looks a bit useful.

Your opinion is naturally valid but not sure what else you would expect from us as an attacking force - we're the second highest scorers in the league behind Brentford with only Cardiff, Bournemouth and Blackburn even breaking the 40 goal mark.

If we have any issue it is at the back, as unfortunately we are still seeing the issue that letting in 1 tends to lead to a second or third coming. So whilst we have the 2nd best attack, our defense is doggedly lower mid-table right down in 16th.

Feels a bit harsh highlighting the back given we have only conceded 1 away goal in 500 minutes and no away second half goals since Bournemouth (nearly three months ago) but you’re right and I hadn’t really picked up on it, about conceding 1 leading to a second/third, normally in pretty quick succession too

Didnt realise that - very impressive. That was Hudders right?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2021 10:56

Interestingly* last nights win means we have the same record after 30 games as we did last time we won the league. Admittedly we finished that season W12 D2 L2 and I don't see that happening again but shows all is not lost re the autos.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2021 11:06

Hound
URZZZZ
Stranded

Didnt realise that - very impressive. That was Hudders right?

Yeah but Huddersfield tend to score in most games

Makes a real change from 2/3 years ago where we just couldn’t seem to keep a clean sheet, remarkable improvement

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Feb 2021 11:30

Not much more to add.
A good professional performance-early on the Yiadom/ Esteves partnership didn't work but got better as the game went on.

Excellent simple Sky commentary from a guy that knew enough about both teams , so much better than our team at BBCRB.

Oh, before the game some posters went on about resting players, them being tired etc.
They didn't look tired last night and thank goodness Aluko was given a rest. :wink:

Bring on the 'Boro.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2021 11:37

Don't mean to alarm you but we're on the same number of points as we were at this point in 2011/12 :D

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2021 11:39

URZZZZ
Stranded
Westwood52

How much are the stats swayed by that short run of defeats where we conceded lots of goals ? Also how many of the goals we have conceded in quick succession have been very late goals where we were chasing a goal ourselves so we’re not actually defending ‘normally’ ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2021 11:49

South Coast Royal Not much more to add.
A good professional performance-early on the Yiadom/ Esteves partnership didn't work but got better as the game went on.

Excellent simple Sky commentary from a guy that knew enough about both teams , so much better than our team at BBCRB.

Oh, before the game some posters went on about resting players, them being tired etc.
They didn't look tired last night and thank goodness Aluko was given a rest. :wink:

Bring on the 'Boro.

Vic, you are obsessed by players being tired/not tired.

Just so you understand my point on it - us as fans are in no position whatsoever to say a player is tired or not. Thats what all the physios etc are there to do, along with all their tracking gear (those little crop top things the players wear all the time have tracking stuff in them).

If they see that their stats are dropping below what they think are optimum levels - stuff like distance run, number of sprints etc, then they might consider resting them rather than putting them through another 90 min game

Now thats up to the manager to decide. If they think they'd rather give the player more recovery time and a game off, they are being rested. Thats what likely happened to Richards on Saturday, whether you like it or not. If the likes of Rino, Morro, Joao and co can keep playing every game and their performance stats aren't being compromised, then they'll likely continue to keep being picked. The player might be down on his stats, but the boss chooses them anyway because player a) at 80% is still better than player b) and 100%. But they are also more likely to get injured. If the manager has chosen to rest a player, personally I think thats the right decision because he has based it on the stats he has been given by experts on the matter.

I know you like to reference eras when they had no subs, played every game and recovered down the pub with a pint after the game, but the game has moved on. Squads are bigger and the physical performance levels in each game are likely a fair bit bigger.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2021 11:53

Nameless
URZZZZ
Stranded

How much are the stats swayed by that short run of defeats where we conceded lots of goals ? Also how many of the goals we have conceded in quick succession have been very late goals where we were chasing a goal ourselves so we’re not actually defending ‘normally’ ?

Yeah, to an extent your first point, two quick fire goals vs Coventry, Preston, Stoke and Bournemouth

Not so much your second point, with perhaps the exception of Brentford’s third. I guess you could also argue Millwall’s second too but not sure how much we were pushing for the win

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Feb 2021 11:55

Hound

Bring on the 'Boro.

Just so you understand my point on it - us as fans are in no position whatsoever to say a player is tired or not. Thats what all the physios etc are there to do, along with all their tracking gear (those little crop top things the players wear all the time have tracking stuff in them).

If they see that their stats are dropping below what they think are optimum levels - stuff like distance run, number of sprints etc, then they might consider resting them rather than putting them through another 90 min game

Now thats up to the manager to decide. If they think they'd rather give the player more recovery time and a game off, they are being rested. Thats what likely happened to Richards on Saturday, whether you like it or not. If the likes of Rino, Morro, Joao and co can keep playing every game and their performance stats aren't being compromised, then they'll likely continue to keep being picked. The player might be down on his stats, but the boss chooses them anyway because player a) at 80% is still better than player b) and 100%. But they are also more likely to get injured. If the manager has chosen to rest a player, personally I think thats the right decision because he has based it on the stats he has been given by experts on the matter.

I know you like to reference eras when they had no subs, played every game and recovered down the pub with a pint after the game, but the game has moved on. Squads are bigger and the physical performance levels in each game are likely a fair bit bigger.

Amen

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2021 11:56

URZZZZ
Hound

Bring on the 'Boro.

Amen

Yep, +1 to Hound on that.

biff

by biff » 17 Feb 2021 12:29

Joao obviously doing the biz, but his constant frustration at not getting the pass worries me a little. Especially considering he's playing with Ejaria; probably have an aneurysm.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 17 Feb 2021 12:38

Zip
CountryRoyal
Zip Sam Smith scored for Cheltenham tonight and getting some great reviews by their fans one of whom referred to Reading as a “great club”. I hope he can help them go up and join them in League One next season.

No fans is shit. I'm only 5-10min walk away from Whaddon road.

I’m just down the road....15 min drive.

I'm on the other side of the Severn, but not very far away.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Feb 2021 12:44

Hound

Bring on the 'Boro.

So, if the medical side are so much on the ball why do you and some of the other posters keep on posting that players need a rest-leave it up to the experts.

From my experiences, on the mental and not the physical, I still maintain that if you put it in the heads of sportsmen that they are tired or should be feeling tired they will feel more tired..

Hmm, "physical performance levels in each game are likely a fair bit bigger"-really?
On perfect pitches?

Anyway, I'll drop it for now but this idea that the game has "moved on" is often quoted when it really hasn't changed that much on the pitch, it's still blokes kicking a (lighter) ball around and with all the preparation, recovery, diet etc. improvements should players be so tired that they can't perform?

Good to see them still looking as fresh as daisies last night-surprising what a win can do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2021 12:53

South Coast Royal
Hound

Bring on the 'Boro.

So, if the medical side are so much on the ball why do you and some of the other posters keep on posting that players need a rest-leave it up to the experts.

From my experiences, on the mental and not the physical, I still maintain that if you put it in the heads of sportsmen that they are tired or should be feeling tired they will feel more tired..

Hmm, "physical performance levels in each game are likely a fair bit bigger"-really?
On perfect pitches?

Anyway, I'll drop it for now but this idea that the game has "moved on" is often quoted when it really hasn't changed that much on the pitch, it's still blokes kicking a (lighter) ball around and with all the preparation, recovery, diet etc. improvements should players be so tired that they can't perform?

Good to see them still looking as fresh as daisies last night-surprising what a win can do.

I don’t think I’ve ever said an individual player needs a rest. If I have then yes that’s an error on my behalf which I’ll hold my hand up to. More that a game like the FA cup was a good opportunity to rest players if required

Yesterday was perfect for us - compared to Brentford for example it was so low tempo. And compared to millwall so much less physical. It was actually pretty boring because it was so easy. Just what we needed after those two tough games

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Feb 2021 14:09

LOl @ them sacking their manager after that defeat.

Is losing to little Reading really that bad?

They were woeful though.

We were the only team in it.

There's a real gulf now between top 6 and the rest (assuming Bournemouth win their game in hand) and really we should all be beating teams below who seem to be quite poor. Yeah wall beat us but they were quite poor too tbf.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Feb 2021 14:12

Vic the season is around a month shorter as it is. Players often playing twice a week are much more prone to injury. That’s a fact. No surprise Laurent was rested. Sensible to do if he was carrying knocks. The Championship is well known for being incredibly intense and physical which is why clubs like ours are picking so many injuries.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2021 14:12

Millsy LOl @ them sacking their manager after that defeat.

Is losing to little Reading really that bad?

They were woeful though.

We were the only team in it.

There's a real gulf now between top 6 and the rest (assuming Bournemouth win their game in hand) and really we should all be beating teams below who seem to be quite poor. Yeah wall beat us but they were quite poor too tbf.

Given the horrendous injury problems they have perhaps Mr Holden can regard himself as a tad unfortunate.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Feb 2021 14:17

Stranded Interestingly* last nights win means we have the same record after 30 games as we did last time we won the league. Admittedly we finished that season W12 D2 L2 and I don't see that happening again but shows all is not lost re the autos.

Yes - and I'm sure West Ham and Southampton were much further clear at least of us at this stage.

Think autos will be a bit lower this season - around mid 80's

356 posts