AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Meite as good as Percy Freeman

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 May 2021 19:41

Phoenix Force
Simmops Whose percy freeman?

Our Percy Freeman
if you need to ask, you are wasting your time even asking

Research is easy these days....it wasn't your fault that you weren’t old enough to actually see the great man.

But.....perleese
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 16 May 2021 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 May 2021 19:42

AthleticoSpizz
Phoenix Force
Simmops Whose percy freeman?

Our Percy Freeman
if you need to ask, you are wasting your time even asking

Im not 87 years old like you all

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 May 2021 19:47

Sometimes, it's better to stfu....just sometimes

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 May 2021 19:35

AthleticoSpizz Thanks for the clarification Faith Healer.
Sadly, the wall has possibly fared better than Percy, he died January 2016 :cry:

From Lincoln City LNER Train of Fame Bio: Percy Freeman

Percy Freeman

He played as Number 9 through David Herd’s management of Lincoln City, but when Graham Taylor took over as manager, Percy was sold to Reading for a reported £11,500.
Percy then returned to City two years later having had a mixed time at Reading. He spent time away from football and returned to [b]scaffolding work.[/b] He then re-joined the Imps for a reported fee of £10,000 less than what he went for.
He became an integral part of Graham Taylors’ Lincoln side who missed promotion by 0.04 of a goal on goal average in the 1974-75 campaign and the Division 4 record breaking championship winning team in the 1975-76 season.
Percy scored 23 times in his 35 appearances in the Championship winning season.
He went on to play one more season in Division 3 before retiring as a professional footballer to concentrate on his roofing business.
Played part time and subsequently managed several local teams.
Percy sadly died on the 5th January 2016.

Hope that clarifies it for you?.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 31 May 2021 20:59

karbota
Sadly, the wall has possibly fared better than Percy, he died January 2016 :cry:

Percy Freeman

He played as Number 9 through David Herd’s management of Lincoln City, but when Graham Taylor took over as manager, Percy was sold to Reading for a reported £11,500.
Percy then returned to City two years later having had a mixed time at Reading. He spent time away from football and returned to [b]scaffolding work.[/b] He then re-joined the Imps for a reported fee of £10,000 less than what he went for.
He became an integral part of Graham Taylors’ Lincoln side who missed promotion by 0.04 of a goal on goal average in the 1974-75 campaign and the Division 4 record breaking championship winning team in the 1975-76 season.
He went on to play one more season in Division 3 before retiring as a professional footballer to concentrate on his roofing business.

Ah! Goal average, that takes me back a bit. Did anyone on here manage to work out how the powers that be, worked them out? I know I could never grasp the mathematics that was needed.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 31 May 2021 21:09

The Royal Forester
karbota

Percy Freeman

Ah! Goal average, that takes me back a bit. Did anyone on here manage to work out how the powers that be, worked them out? I know I could never grasp the mathematics that was needed.

I think it was goals scored divided by goals conceded, or something like that, and that was before the days of pocket calculators.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jun 2021 08:41

karbota

Percy Freeman

it does indeed, thank you.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Jun 2021 11:58

oldebiscuit
The Royal Forester
karbota

Percy Freeman

I think it was goals scored divided by goals conceded, or something like that, and that was before the days of pocket calculators.

Yes - it was a simple division sum, goals scored / goals conceded...we were relegated on goal average in 1970/71

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2021 13:46

Mid Sussex Royal
oldebiscuit
The Royal Forester

Yes - it was a simple division sum, goals scored / goals conceded...we were relegated on goal average in 1970/71

Never understood why on earth the league used goal av. rather than goal difference.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jun 2021 10:35

So not that I would insult many of the old Reading fans out there but, I know nothing of Percy Freeman but considering he played for us when we were a lower league side and how much football has progressed since then, I feel pretty confident saying that Meite is substantially better.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Jun 2021 13:09

tidus_mi2 So not that I would insult many of the old Reading fans out there but, I know nothing of Percy Freeman but considering he played for us when we were a lower league side and how much football has progressed since then, I feel pretty confident saying that Meite is substantially better.

As an older fan, that assumption is entirely correct.

Freeman was limited even in division 4

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 04 Jun 2021 23:33

Mid Sussex Royal
tidus_mi2 So not that I would insult many of the old Reading fans out there but, I know nothing of Percy Freeman but considering he played for us when we were a lower league side and how much football has progressed since then, I feel pretty confident saying that Meite is substantially better.

I think the difference was that we could relate to Percy, and that he knew how important it was for him to perform for us. You felt that you might bump into him in the pub and that you could have a chat with him.
I don’t feel that you get that from Yakou.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 04 Jun 2021 23:33

Mid Sussex Royal

I think the difference was that we could relate to Percy, and that he knew how important it was for him to perform for us. You felt that you might bump into him in the pub and that you could have a chat with him.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 05 Jun 2021 00:05

I'm Percy Freeman!

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 05 Jun 2021 07:15

Given that even ordinary Championship players become millionaires quite young, the days of bumping into players and relating are over, even for Academy players IMHO.

But, I don't doubt that Yakou appreciates the platform Reading has given him and cares, and every goal he scores means something.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jun 2021 20:16

Dick Habbin's hairdo Percy was a tank with a really crap first touch - just like Yakou. :shock:

Yakou undoubtedly has more pace and he's good when he has a bit of space coming on from the right wing onto his left foot.

Percy had a thunderous shot and would muscle people out with power not pace - a true 1970s centre forward.

Very different players - and although Yakou has improved enormously this season I think he has found his level. Oh, and his brother is a gent - especially after our little chat in the Lower West a couple of seasons ago. :roll:

When Percy took a free kick I actually liked to see it hit the wall as it usually meant an opposition player was pole-axed!

Great in his time but playing at a lower level. Meite is, IMO, a far, far better player.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jun 2021 20:26

...and therefore, there is no comparison....never was....never will be

Great to see PF still revered here tho’

Worse than a Steve Death v Steve Francis (remember him?) comparison?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Jun 2021 19:38

oldebiscuit
Mid Sussex Royal

From what I've heard, I think that might be doing Yakou a bit of a disservice.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 Jun 2021 20:34

AthleticoSpizz Worse than a Steve Death v Steve Francis (remember him?) comparison?

Wasn't Steve Death meant to be a really great player, but just really short for a goalkeeper? 5'8" or something like that. A bit like Jimmy Quinn being very talented, but also incredibly slow, which limited him as a player more than his skill did.