3567 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by URZZZZ » 09 Jun 2021 09:09

Simmops
Sutekh
URZZZZ
Not you, but it’s all over BBC etc etc. If people don’t get it after a year (or choose not to) then I doubt they’re going to now

Let’s focus on the competition rather than anything else

[devil’s advocate]
So if the players are into this knee thing shouldn’t they be speaking out against a World Cup in Qatar?
[/devil’s advocate]

Yes

Also URZZZZ.... Shirley by suppressing it, thats what the racists want?

People shouldn't boo. If they do, I think and hope they either get the shit kicked out of them or removed and banned from the stadium

If somebody did boo at the mad stad, I would flick beer at them for sure

Not necessarily - just find that the whole thing is rather futile - no point in trying to send out a certain message if people don’t understand it - and haven’t for nearly a year now

There’ll be fans that will boo at the Euros if England/other nations do take the knee, let’s not draw it up as a major talking point every single time

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 09 Jun 2021 09:19

URZZZZ
Simmops
Sutekh
[devil’s advocate]
So if the players are into this knee thing shouldn’t they be speaking out against a World Cup in Qatar?
[/devil’s advocate]

Yes

People shouldn't boo. If they do, I think and hope they either get the shit kicked out of them or removed and banned from the stadium

Not necessarily - just find that the whole thing is rather futile - no point in trying to send out a certain message if people don’t understand it - and haven’t for nearly a year now

There’ll be fans that will boo at the Euros if England/other nations do take the knee, let’s not draw it up as a major talking point every single time

I think it should be a major talking point every time personally, until it is stopped or people are banned

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jun 2021 09:44

This letter from Southgate on wider social issues is fantastic.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ros-soccer

I know people like to criticise his tactics and caution sometimes, but the England manager job is so much more than simply managing the team. In the times of Brexit and culture wars, Southgate is quite simply the best we could ever want at managing public messages and the culture.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Jun 2021 10:00

Franchise FC It's a really heartfelt piece but I fear that some of the target audience may not be able to take it all in

Some is a bit of an understatement. Its been made very clear why the players are doing it and it not being linked to any political movement but those booing aren't listening and aren't going to listen. Not hard to work out what anti-anti-racism is.
Southgate is a decent man and this group of players should be glad they've got him managing* them.

* off the field at least.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Jun 2021 10:01

Simmops Phil Foden has done his hair Gazza 96 style with a silver skinfade

It's coming home

<spoiler alert> It left home with the Germans.
He should've gone for a Bobby Charlton comb over tribute.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jun 2021 10:35

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jun 2021 11:12

6ft Kerplunk
Franchise FC It's a really heartfelt piece but I fear that some of the target audience may not be able to take it all in

Some is a bit of an understatement. Its been made very clear why the players are doing it and it not being linked to any political movement but those booing aren't listening and aren't going to listen. Not hard to work out what anti-anti-racism is.
Southgate is a decent man and this group of players should be glad they've got him managing* them.

* off the field at least.

+1 to that

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jun 2021 11:22

Stranded Very impressive writing from Southgate here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ssion=true

Yes it is and he handles this so well. As has been said by others there will be some who refuse to listen but let them be marginalised. If the players continue to wish to take the knee good on them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jun 2021 11:43

Zip
Stranded Very impressive writing from Southgate here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ssion=true

Yes it is and he handles this so well. As has been said by others there will be some who refuse to listen but let them be marginalised. If the players continue to wish to take the knee good on them.

You only have to look back at what these guys were rallying against in the 1990s and the opinion pieces and headlines that were acceptable to see that, ultimately, these voices lose in the long run. Southgate is right, and they will just be looked back upon as pathetic small people

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 09 Jun 2021 14:08

Maguire looking likely to be unfit for at least the first game. Joke of a choice to take him over JWP

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jun 2021 14:37

Simmops
URZZZZ
Simmops
Yes

I think it should be a major talking point every time personally, until it is stopped or people are banned

What more is there to discuss? Players kneel, some fans boo, pundits and players etc call them disgraceful and say they’ll keep kneeling to send a “message”. Those that boo will keep saying “keep politics out of football”. It’s a circular argument and isn’t achieving anything

And this isn’t me saying players shouldn’t do it as it’s all down to personal choice. Just getting to a point at which are people really surprised not everyone agrees with it?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jun 2021 14:52

Simmops Maguire looking likely to be unfit for at least the first game. Joke of a choice to take him over JWP

Hasn’t he already been ruled out of the group games ?
As I understand it, he’s looking unlikely to be fit for the first knockout game

You’re right, an absolute joke choice

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jun 2021 18:42

Zip

Yep winning so much respect from me. To be honest, I don't think England could hope for a better manager. Whilst their *might* be ones that could get slightly better results (though I doubt it) there isn't anyone who could conduct themselves with greater dignity.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Jun 2021 23:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yep winning so much respect from me. To be honest, I don't think England could hope for a better manager. Whilst their *might* be ones that could get slightly better results (though I doubt it) there isn't anyone who could conduct themselves with greater dignity.

you spend half the season associating the gesture with a political movement and then you just redefine it

"Stand up if you hate racism"

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jun 2021 09:59

Looking at Croatia's squad, it's a lot weaker than 3 years ago. But the midfield 3 of Modric, Brozovic and Kovacic could still run the game if we go for our 532 with 2 more defensive midfielders. I hope it doesn't happen, as their defence looks pretty weak.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Jun 2021 12:42

In the 19 major tournaments England have played in we have won 5 of our opening games

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Jun 2021 12:46

Winston Biscuit In the 20 major tournaments England have played in we have won 6 of our opening games

Corrected

ICH

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 12 Jun 2021 16:01

TBM
From what i've read/heard the following players should be exciting prospects

George Green (Everton) - apparently the next "Gazza"
Jordan Rossiter (Liverpool) - the next Gerrard
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) - Barca have apparently been tracking him
Izzy Brown (West Brom) - Considered one of the country’s best prospects.

Any update on these footballers :?:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jun 2021 09:32

ICH

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jun 2021 12:01

Rumoured team of:

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Trippier
Rice
Phillips
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

Risky from Southgate - could backfire hugely with Trippier (at LB), Mings, Phillips and Sterling in

3567 posts