England - the future....

3561 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by BR0B0T » 21 Jun 2021 22:05

Pepe the Horseman Posted on the other thread, but if Belgium or Denmark win, we're definitely through (I think).

Sweet...we're through!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 07:23

Winston buzzometer is firmly stuck at 0. Didnt even know the game was today, thought it was tomorrow. Meh.

ICH

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 07:53

Don't get that, I don't know how anyone can fail to be excited about an England game at a major tournament. There is a lot on tonights game, we need to go out there and send a message. We should go out there and try to dominate the game and smash the Czech's. We have great attacking players, lets make the other teams stand up and take notice of that. Instead of worrying about who we may or may not play in the next round lets worry about ourselves and making a statement.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 08:15

I don't care one jot for statements, I want us to draw tonight so we get an 'easier' opponent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2021 08:21

Portugal, France and Germany are all beatable. And we know we'd have to bring our A game to do it.

I'd rather we go for it against the Czechs to create a positive atmosphere and bit of form around the camp and the public and then go for it in a tough game, than going into an easier game trying to save ourselves for the later rounds, in bad form, with a sense of complacency.

We got to a semi with an easy run last time out. It only served to mask our deficiencies and not move us forward. Not again thanks. We're here to compete with the best in Europe so lets get cracking on that.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Jun 2021 08:23

Snowflake Royal Portugal, France and Germany are all beatable.

Not by England though

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 08:23

Getting further due to playing lesser opponents so your Euro's journey keeps going longer > going out early against decent opponents because 'you have to play them sometime if you are going to win it'

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 08:24

To then play a really tough team in the quarter finals anyway? We are going to have to play the best eventually, no point in delaying the inevitable. We might even play better against opposition who come on to us so we can hit them on the break. Coming up against one of the weaker nations will lead to a tepid and nervy display similar to the Scotland match. We aren't great at taking the game to the opposition.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2021 08:31

Silver Fox

Not by England though

England could certainly beat Portugal. Germany aren't the force they were and France have struggled for goals so far.

Italy are the only team I think is a guaranteed loss if we go for it. Our problem against scotland was we just didn't try to win.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 08:34

NathStPaul We are going to have to play the best eventually, no point in delaying the inevitable

I hear that a lot but its something that really baffles me. I see lots of point in delaying it. I would get much more enjoyment out of this if it is delayed. WC2018 was brilliant because it was delayed!!

Feels like too much of a doom & gloom attitude to me

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 08:36

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox

Not by England though

England could certainly beat Portugal. Germany aren't the force they were and France have struggled for goals so far.

Italy are the only team I think is a guaranteed loss if we go for it. Our problem against scotland was we just didn't try to win.

Agreed.

We don't need to fear anyone on current viewing. Italy are the best team I have seen but I don't particuarly fear them, just think we would struggle to score against them. Germany, France and Portugal have all given the opposition plenty of chances in their games thus far, they are far from dominant forces. We have so much attacking prowess we need to play to our strengths and give whoever we play a problem. We have to stop being typical England and stop being petrified of our opposition, lets go for it in games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Jun 2021 08:56

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul We are going to have to play the best eventually, no point in delaying the inevitable

I hear that a lot but its something that really baffles me. I see lots of point in delaying it. I would get much more enjoyment out of this if it is delayed. WC2018 was brilliant because it was delayed!!

Yeh likewise. I don't get it. Why would you want to go out earlier than you could? It's almost as if you're getting ready to say - Oh well we have it a good shot.

Is it that British plucky loser thing?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 08:58

Cool so lets fluke our way to a semi final, play a decent team, get humilated because we haven't been tested yet and then give all the players a pat on the back for being plucky losers. Again.

Same old English cycle. The supporters are a huge reason we fail as a footballing nation, happy to fluke our way to the latter stages of the competition then happy to fail once we get there.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Jun 2021 09:01

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox

Not by England though

I think Germany would destroy us

Italy deffo

Netherlands will be tricky

France would

Even Wales and Denmark

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Jun 2021 09:05

bcubed
Winston Biscuit

Yeh likewise. I don't get it. Why would you want to go out earlier than you could? It's almost as if you're getting ready to say - Oh well we have it a good shot.

Is it that British plucky loser thing?

I just want to play the best teams. That is how you win. If we lose then show some oxf*rd heart and put up a good fight.
Losing in the round of 16 to Germany >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Losing in the round of 16 to Denmark

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 09:11

NathStPaul Cool so lets fluke our way to a semi final, play a decent team, get humilated because we haven't been tested yet and then give all the players a pat on the back for being plucky losers. Again.

Same old English cycle. The supporters are a huge reason we fail as a footballing nation, happy to fluke our way to the latter stages of the competition then happy to fail once we get there.

why does it have to be about fluking things? be more positive!!!

ICH

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 09:13

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul Cool so lets fluke our way to a semi final, play a decent team, get humilated because we haven't been tested yet and then give all the players a pat on the back for being plucky losers. Again.

ICH

What can be more positive than wanting us to play and beat the best teams? As I said earlier I honestly believe we will have a better chance agaisnt the top sides, Southgate is set on playing a certain way and that way involves teams coming on to us and hitting them on the break using the obvious pace we have.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 09:17

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit

ICH

What can be more positive than wanting us to play and beat the best teams?

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but your posts have read as a kind of 'I want us to win the Euro's but if not then I want us to go out early' statement.

My buzzometer has kicked in for the day. Hovering around a 2 right now. It shall nudge up further throughout the day.

ICH

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2021 09:21

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit

ICH

What can be more positive than wanting us to play and beat the best teams?

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but your posts have read as a kind of 'I want us to win the Euro's but if not then I want us to go out early' statement.

My buzzometer has kicked in for the day. Hovering around a 2 right now. It shall nudge up further throughout the day.

It is largely a moot point, I think we all want the same thing here ultimately which is for us to win it regardless of how it happens. If we shithouse our way past all the crap teams I will be cheering as loudly as I would if we beat all the great teams and vice versa.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Jun 2021 09:22

agree on the mute point

ICH

3561 posts