Deadline day acquisitions

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Deadline day acquisitions

by LUX » 01 Sep 2021 13:54

can someone post up who we've signed please. It's very inconclusive over on rumours/gossip

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Deadline day acquisitions

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2021 13:56

LUX can someone post up who we've signed please. It's very inconclusive over on rumsours/gossip

Tom Dele Bashiru
Scott Dann
Alen Halilovic
Junior Hoilett
Baba Rahman
Danny Drinkwater

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2021 14:15

According to Casumo we have also bought Andy Carroll :lol:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2021 17:07

Zip According to Casumo we have also bought Andy Carroll :lol:

Lol @ casumo

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2021 17:08

Sutekh
LUX can someone post up who we've signed please. It's very inconclusive over on rumsours/gossip

Tom Dele Bashiru
Scott Dann
Alen Halilovic
Junior Hoilett
Baba Rahman
Danny Drinkwater

Not bad

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2021 22:27

Would have preferred signing Troy Deeney to the midfield overload we now have. The lack of pace in the team remains a major concern. There's little natural width. Unless Pauno has a plan to plan to play with wingbacks and Drinkwater as a holding defensive midfielder.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2021 22:32

Hopefully we have enough to avoid a relegation battle.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Sep 2021 23:30

Yeah interesting selection for the fake hoops.Not getting a striker in will bite us on the bum;but Man U couldn’t get a CDM in to replace Fred and Liverpool didn’t get anyone in.
We are not the only team that failed to rectify the bleeding obvious.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2021 08:33

Lower West Would have preferred signing Troy Deeney to the midfield overload we now have. The lack of pace in the team remains a major concern. There's little natural width. Unless Pauno has a plan to plan to play with wingbacks and Drinkwater as a holding defensive midfielder.

Deeny was never going to come here when Birmingham became an option, was never going to turn down his boyhood club.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Sep 2021 10:46

I assume Carrol didn’t fancy getting out of his mega sized bed for £8.5 grand a week ?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Sep 2021 10:50

Westwood52 I assume Carrol didn’t fancy getting out of his mega sized bed for £8.5 grand a week ?

As has been pointed out on about 50 ocassions in numerous threads, we had to offload players before we could sign anyone else. If he wanted to come here or not is a moot point. :|

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Sep 2021 13:02

NathStPaul
Westwood52 I assume Carrol didn’t fancy getting out of his mega sized bed for £8.5 grand a week ?

As has been pointed out on about 50 ocassions in numerous threads, we had to offload players before we could sign anyone else. If he wanted to come here or not is a moot point. :|

So we should have brought him in as our sixth acquisition and forgone a punt on someone else;given since Joao got crocked and after a LB,a striker was an absolute must.Very,very tricky.Dann,DWater and Baba are almost certain to start.Given Swift’s fragility,presumably Halilovic covers.Toilet gives us some wide cover.So it looks like TDB might be superfluous.Yet he was first pick.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Sep 2021 13:09

Westwood52
NathStPaul

So we should have brought him in as our sixth acquisition and forgone a punt on someone else;given since Joao got crocked and after a LB,a striker was an absolute must.Very,very tricky.Dann,DWater and Baba are almost certain to start.Given Swift’s fragility,presumably Halilovic covers.Toilet gives us some wide cover.So it looks like TDB might be superfluous.Yet he was first pick.

I did wonder if instead of selling one of our permanent players whether we could have terminated a loan such as TDB to open up a spacefor a forward.

Also, how come the club didn't already know the situation/know the rules about maximum number of players?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2021 13:17

not sure what to believe about a striker or lack of one coming in to be honest. lets face it, we didn't seem to try that hard. Bit of a half arsed effort to sign Carroll at the end but pretty sure if we'd really wanted one we would have prioritised it. Bit weird on the face of it.

I'm not against plenty of midfield options. I do feel its the one area where subs make the most difference (Pauno needs to use better than he did last year though)

Hard to know how we'll line up. I'm assuming something along the lines of

Halilovic -Drinkwater -Swift - Laurent - Ejaria

leaving Hoilett, TDB, Rino, Tetek on the bench. Decent options there, who can change the dynamic. Hoilett could play alongside Puscas I reckon as well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Sep 2021 13:19

morganb
Westwood52
NathStPaul As has been pointed out on about 50 ocassions in numerous threads, we had to offload players before we could sign anyone else. If he wanted to come here or not is a moot point. :|

I did wonder if instead of selling one of our permanent players whether we could have terminated a loan such as TDB to open up a spacefor a forward.

Also, how come the club didn't already know the situation/know the rules about maximum number of players?

Given Joao didn’t get crocked until after TDB arrived I don’t think the club can be faulted on that, more likely it was daft to bring in Drinkwater or Halilovic. That said having the defence doing regular comedy routines, culminating in their entry for “it’ll be alright on the night” at Huddersfield, really didn’t help matters.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Sep 2021 13:27

Sutekh
morganb
Westwood52

Given Joao didn’t get crocked until after TDB arrived I don’t think the club can be faulted on that, more likely it was daft to bring in Drinkwater or Halilovic. That said having the defence doing regular comedy routines, culminating in their entry for “it’ll be alright on the night” at Huddersfield, really didn’t help matters.

Yeah I think Velcro did not expect his CB s ;on paper the strongest part of the team ,to go down the drain.But because of that he had to bring in Dann.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2021 14:01

Westwood52
Sutekh
morganb

Yeah I think Velcro did not expect his CB s ;on paper the strongest part of the team ,to go down the drain.But because of that he had to bring in Dann.

yep. No one could really have considered we needed CB cover - but we absolutely do. bet he is far from happy about it himself

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2021 17:37

Hound not sure what to believe about a striker or lack of one coming in to be honest. lets face it, we didn't seem to try that hard. Bit of a half arsed effort to sign Carroll at the end but pretty sure if we'd really wanted one we would have prioritised it. Bit weird on the face of it.

I'm not against plenty of midfield options. I do feel its the one area where subs make the most difference (Pauno needs to use better than he did last year though)

leaving Hoilett, TDB, Rino, Tetek on the bench. Decent options there, who can change the dynamic. Hoilett could play alongside Puscas I reckon as well.

Depressing that it basically forces out the one consistent performer we've had in midfield for years and blocks the opportunities for an Academy graduate at the same time.

Whilst leaving us with a central midfielder at left wing, few actual wide options and shallow options at full back and paper thin options upfront.

Definitely think Drinkwater was a midfielder too far and TDB is unnecessarily similar to Laurent (who has been pretty arse)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2021 17:49

Hound not sure what to believe about a striker or lack of one coming in to be honest. lets face it, we didn't seem to try that hard. Bit of a half arsed effort to sign Carroll at the end but pretty sure if we'd really wanted one we would have prioritised it. Bit weird on the face of it.

Agree with all of this apart from the last part. I’m really not convinced about the Hoilett signing. Is he fit?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2021 20:31

Snowflake Royal

Depressing that it basically forces out the one consistent performer we've had in midfield for years and blocks the opportunities for an Academy graduate at the same time.

Whilst leaving us with a central midfielder at left wing, few actual wide options and shallow options at full back and paper thin options upfront.

Definitely think Drinkwater was a midfielder too far and TDB is unnecessarily similar to Laurent (who has been pretty arse)

Would happily swap in rino for Laurent based on performance. Agree Laurent has been poor so far (though a couple of assists) but Rino been pretty rubbish as well

Think Drinkwater was a case of he became available and they took the gamble. Undecided til I watch him tbh. Could be a master stroke or a total waste of time. He certainly was a fantastic player

Not too fussed about wide options - think Ejaria, AH, Hoilett cover it ok. Along with Azeez when he is back

I’d have happily swapped one of those incoming midfielders for a CF in saying that