Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

229 posts
Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Sep 2021 15:53

Hound
Stranded
Hound Wonder how long this embargo is for as well. Do we come out of it if we behave ourselves this season? Was it just for this window or are we restricted to 8.5k contracts all year?

It’d be nice to know really. Guess they prob aren’t keen on sharing that info mind you

If I read the rules right, the embargo exists because with the submitted estimate of accounts it looks like we may breach the rules fully (and therefore be liable to a points deduction) so I would assume it would only get released if and when it becomes clear that the embargo has stopped that happening.

Otherwise, we may well be in a situation where we are embargoed and have points taken off either later this season or more likely next.

The embargo in itself definitely won’t stop us breaking the 39m over 3 year loss limit or get anywhere close I doubt

I’m assuming we’re in embargo instead of a points deduction and if we play nicely then we won’t get fined the points

Do we stay like this until our seasons losses are under control or until we don’t break 39m over 3 years? Be interesting to know but could well be in this embargo for the long term

That's a depressing thought mate!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2021 17:35

It is. Problem with the whole process being so opaque - not really sure how and where it ends. If they really wanted us to slash the wage bill and cut costs then why have they let us sign 6 and run quite a hefty squad again?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Sep 2021 17:41

Hound It is. Problem with the whole process being so opaque - not really sure how and where it ends. If they really wanted us to slash the wage bill and cut costs then why have they let us sign 6 and run quite a hefty squad again?

There may have been some "accounting adjustments" which have been agreed. For example, technically in accounting terms the writing off of a loan can create a one-off profit (but I'm clutching at straws a bit here). Perhaps they thought we'd be selling some players as well during this window (as that's always a good way to balance the books) but it hasn't transpired and so they've allowed us to bring in some squad depth but all on restricted wages/contract lengths?

I suspect we're working with the EFL to show that we are taking affirmative action to reduce the wage bill over time and also not spunk a load of money on transfer fees too, thereby limiting the punishment coming our way

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2021 18:20

A question:

Had we taken e.g. a 12 point deduction before the start of the season would the transfer embargo have been lifted?

I assume it’s not as straightforward as that but I was thinking that if that was the case it would have made more sense to take the points deduction. We’d then possibly be equipped with a better team, which may have secured more than one win out of the first 5 games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 18:41

Hound
Stranded
Hound Wonder how long this embargo is for as well. Do we come out of it if we behave ourselves this season? Was it just for this window or are we restricted to 8.5k contracts all year?

It’d be nice to know really. Guess they prob aren’t keen on sharing that info mind you

If I read the rules right, the embargo exists because with the submitted estimate of accounts it looks like we may breach the rules fully (and therefore be liable to a points deduction) so I would assume it would only get released if and when it becomes clear that the embargo has stopped that happening.

Otherwise, we may well be in a situation where we are embargoed and have points taken off either later this season or more likely next.

The embargo in itself definitely won’t stop us breaking the 39m over 3 year loss limit or get anywhere close I doubt

I’m assuming we’re in embargo instead of a points deduction and if we play nicely then we won’t get fined the points

Do we stay like this until our seasons losses are under control or until we don’t break 39m over 3 years? Be interesting to know but could well be in this embargo for the long term

Last season's accounts will tell us a lot. If the wage budget was still north of about £22m we're probably oxf*rd for another two to three seasons minimum.

If it was less, that means we probably got our loss down to about £10m - £20m, and this season could have it down to £5m - £10m which means with Covid adjustments and cooperation we might get a bit more leeway again next season.

My guess is, we've managed to avoid points deductions by not trying to fiddle the accounts, scapegoating Gourlay and showing year on year wage budget reductions since we took the piss two seasons ago. And begging. A lot.

But the missmanagement is frightening. Bare in mind we've known about the financial shit we're in for years. We put it off by selling the old training ground and stadium to balance the books. But without doing anything much to trim costs until forced. And that was, what, three or four seasons ago that started.

The Cube

by The Cube » 01 Sep 2021 20:15

Whilst I have no idea if one-out, one-in really applies there are several ways we can still get one out.

A player already out on loan can become a permanent signing, even outside the transfer window. So McNulty could join whichever hopeless outfit he is currently at.

A player's contract could be terminated. Unlikely that would work because there would be a cost and the EFL then wouldn't necessarily approve a signing.

We could hire a "removal man"... That would be off the books so wouldn't affect financial regulations.

Assuming that hurdle is passed, then I've also wondered whether Mrs Carroll might like to sign for the women's team. The EFL don't regulate their wages. If not, I'm sure there's a marketing vacancy. If there is a Mrs Carroll.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2021 23:55

Why are there apostrophes after the words in and out?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Sep 2021 00:01

Millsy Why are there apostrophes after the words in and out?

You raise a good point Millsy I can offer three explanations you can decide which one is most plausible

1. I started the thread on my phone and that it was predictive text did

2. I was on my laptop when I started the thread and I have grammarly installed and it told me to do that

3. I’m a thick pcunt

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Sep 2021 15:41

Brogue
Millsy Why are there apostrophes after the words in and out?

You raise a good point Millsy I can offer three explanations you can decide which one is most plausible

1. I started the thread on my phone and that it was predictive text did

2. I was on my laptop when I started the thread and I have grammarly installed and it told me to do that

3. I’m a thick pcunt

I would go with 1 or 2, because you're not a thick pcunt.

However I can't see why any system would default ins to in's and out to out's as the use case of the latter versions must be very rare. As such I've checked and I can't get any of my devices to do that automatic predictive swap.

Thus I guess either you used to be a thick pcunt and the phone learned your bad habits or you're using someone else's phone or someone has been using yours.

Or perhaps you are a thick pcunt after all, in which case join the club!

229 posts