Should Reading drop the Royals nickname ?

Should Reading FC adopt a new nickname

Poll ended at 30 Jun 2021 19:21
Keep The Royals I love the Royal family
30%
Keep the Royals but I wish the grifters would bugger off
30%
New name and I am lukewarm about the royal family
13%
Return to an old name like the kennetsiders :?:
27%
I have no opinion (ian)
No votes

Total votes: 30
Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Should Reading drop the Royals nickname ?

by Chairman Mao » 29 Jul 2021 11:13

biscuitmen is literally the worst nickname in the history of football
the royals isnt that much better and would make more sense if we were from windsor.
nicknames are a bit bent anyway

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 16 Sep 2021 17:44

More disgusting allegations while they hide in their castle with the curtains drawn. If we were named Reading Jimmy Sevilles I feel like the name would be changed, but for a family to harbor and refuse to cooperate with legitimate allegations of pedophilia and sexual abuse. Awful

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Sep 2021 21:23

Chairman Mao biscuitmen is literally the worst nickname in the history of football

The Shaymen for me.

See what they did there? Yeh me too :|

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Sep 2021 09:44

Baulk of population love the Royal Family, minus Prince Andrew and Harry.

Always a Royal.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Sep 2021 10:52

paultheroyal Baulk of population love the Royal Family, minus Prince Andrew and Harry.

Always a Royal.

Charles isn't universally liked. I get the feeling there's a lot of respect for the Queen but once she's gone I think they're gonna have some serious PR to do.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Sep 2021 21:38

paultheroyal Baulk of population love the Royal Family, minus Prince Andrew and Harry.

Always a Royal.
Harry’s ok, a maverick, flesh pressing, ex-royal who actually did ‘muck-in‘ and earn’t his medals whilst in uniform....unlike his uncles, dad and brother. 8)

I’d throw another swan on the bbq for him and his pretty missus’s attendance here.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2021 00:52

AthleticoSpizz

Always a Royal.
Harry’s ok, a maverick, flesh pressing, ex-royal who actually did ‘muck-in‘ and earn’t his medals whilst in uniform....unlike his uncles, dad and brother. 8)

I’d throw another swan on the bbq for him and his pretty missus’s attendance here.

Fair comment and agreed

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 19 Sep 2021 02:02

Zip Definitely. When I first supported the club we were the Biscuitmen. Would prefer we returned to this nickname.

‘The Biscuitmen’ always seemed a dusty, old-fashioned, almost ridiculous kind of nickname to me.

It came about because of a Company that made biscuits and was based in the town. Hardly exciting or relevant.

‘The Royals’ was, has been and remains an improvement.

I would rather our Club remained associated with the home of the monarchy of our Country, who
happen to be one of the wealthiest, most influential and successful families in the world throughout the past few centuries…

…..than some old factory that once made biscuits….

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2021 09:54

The Green Programme
Zip Definitely. When I first supported the club we were the Biscuitmen. Would prefer we returned to this nickname.

‘The Biscuitmen’ always seemed a dusty, old-fashioned, almost ridiculous kind of nickname to me.

It came about because of a Company that made biscuits and was based in the town. Hardly exciting or relevant.

I would rather our Club remained associated with the home of the monarchy of our Country, who
happen to be one of the wealthiest, most influential and successful families in the world throughout the past few centuries…

Who’s going to tell the Stoke fans that pottery isn’t relevant to them or that furniture isn’t relevant to Wycombe or millinery to Luton etc

I’d rather the club nickname celebrated what was part of the community that gave rise to it than some family that couldn’t really give a stuff about football let alone Reading.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Sep 2021 10:32

Sutekh
The Green Programme

Who’s going to tell the Stoke fans that pottery isn’t relevant to them or that furniture isn’t relevant to Wycombe or millinery to Luton etc

I’d rather the club nickname celebrated what was part of the community that gave rise to it than some family that couldn’t really give a stuff about football let alone Reading.

Well said, although the lovely Kate used to come and watch us with her mum and dad so there is a bit of a link.
I wonder if there is an argument in their house over what replica kits the kids should get-Villa's or ours.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2021 10:40

Sutekh
The Green Programme

Spot on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2021 13:16

Zip
AthleticoSpizz

Always a Royal.

Fair comment and agreed

Will has a sense of duty, whilst Harry is a spoilt little prick.

The Queen is amazing. Charles is a well intentioned idiot.

I think if the crown can find its way to Will fairly quickly the institution will be fine, but any lengthy time under Charles and I think its done.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Sep 2021 13:56

A few examples come to mind for names relevant to local history, in no particular order:-
West Ham-The Irons or The Hammers
Sheff Utd.-The Blades
Macclesfield-The Silkmen
Burton-The Brewers
Stockport/.Luton-The Hatters
Ipswich-The Tractor Boys
Grimsby-The Mariners
Everton-The Toffees
Crewe-The Railwaymen
Plymouth-The Pilgrims.

Come on you Biscuits.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Sep 2021 14:57

I like the Royals as a nickname. Chanting come on you Biscuit Men doesn’t do it for me. I guess it meant something when Huntley and Palmers were a major employer in the town. I remember seeing my grandad’s little replica FA Cup from the 1928 semi final against Cardiff but oxf*rd knows what happened to it.

I guess we wouldn’t be Meghan Markle’s favourite team, nor Harry’s come to that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Sep 2021 16:24

blythspartan I like the Royals as a nickname. Chanting come on you Biscuit Men doesn’t do it for me. I guess it meant something when Huntley and Palmers were a major employer in the town. I remember seeing my grandad’s little replica FA Cup from the 1928 semi final against Cardiff but oxf*rd knows what happened to it.

I guess we wouldn’t be Meghan Markle’s favourite team, nor Harry’s come to that.

I don't think there are many ironworks in East London any more and it was much longer ago that the pilgrim fathers left Plymouth and their name remains.
The Biscuitmen or The Biscuits are preferable to that dreadful family living some miles away.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 19 Sep 2021 16:29

South Coast Royal A few examples come to mind for names relevant to local history, in no particular order:-
Sheff Utd.-The Blades
Macclesfield-The Silkmen
Burton-The Brewers
Ipswich-The Tractor Boys
Grimsby-The Mariners
Everton-The Toffees
Crewe-The Railwaymen
Plymouth-The Pilgrims.

Come on you Biscuits.

You can add
Arsenal-The Gunners
Northampton- The Cobblers
Bristol Rovers- Gas Heads
Scunthorpe -The Iron

Anyone for any more?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Sep 2021 18:45

Thinking about it maybe we should ditch The Royals.

We have been waiting for royal sign off for city status for decades which we will never get as the royal family still have a problem with Reading following Queen Victoria's issues 150 years ago....

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2021 13:56

The Royal Forester
South Coast Royal A few examples come to mind for names relevant to local history, in no particular order:-
Sheff Utd.-The Blades
Macclesfield-The Silkmen
Burton-The Brewers
Ipswich-The Tractor Boys
Grimsby-The Mariners
Everton-The Toffees
Crewe-The Railwaymen
Plymouth-The Pilgrims.

Come on you Biscuits.

You can add
Arsenal-The Gunners
Northampton- The Cobblers
Bristol Rovers- Gas Heads
Scunthorpe -The Iron

Anyone for any more?

Wycome - "The Chairboys" - surely one of the best in the game

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 21 Sep 2021 15:53

Clubs and towns clinging onto their 19th century industrial heritage as they haven't really got anything going on now.

Kind of cute or kind of desperate depending on which way you look at it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Sep 2021 18:14

Which side of that vintage pitchside fencing are you on Gruners?