BFTG - Boro Home

124 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Boro Home

by PieEater » 25 Sep 2021 15:20

So glad we hung onto the win after the 11 mins of injury time, I thought 6 was excessive but the late injuries probably added the extra, When I saw the team I was worried but Laurent and Yiadom did ok as centre halves and Tetek was a revelation as right back. Unlucky to get a card. I just wish we wouldn't keep playing it out from the back even with midfielders in defence.

We played some nice stuff and seem to have quality throughout the team, if only we could get players playing in their natural position, if we'd of had a striker today we'd of scored a hatful. I thought Tetek, Swift and Drinkwater played pretty well with Halilovic showing some drive going forward.

I thought the ref was actually ok, their early goal looked out before the cross. I couldn't really see the red but the reaction from Reading players showed the challenge was out of order.

Was a bit mystified why Boro didn't lump it into the box the whole time and complete bemusement that they took their first corner short. Apart from the late header from the keeper they really offered very little to threaten our make shift defence. Just waiting to see the interview with Warnock complaining about everything to cap off a great win.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Boro Home

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 15:31

The Halilovic ball to Swift in the first half was superb. He runs his socks off as well. Love him.

Tetek was my MoM. Brilliant game, and as you say, very unlucky to be booked.

Southwood is so confident and brave. Should be our undisputed number 1 next season.

Lol @ our first clean sheet of the season coming with a CM and RB as our two CBs, and a CM at RB.

Fair fcuks to Pauno for turning things around, especially with our lack of squad depth and horrendous injury problems.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2021 15:34

That's three confident performances from Southwood now. I think he's earned the shirt and with Rafael out of contract in the summer, no reason to change things. Should possibly be looking to shift Rafael in January.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 15:40

From Despair To Where? That's three confident performances from Southwood now. I think he's earned the shirt and with Rafael out of contract in the summer, no reason to change things. Should possibly be looking to shift Rafael in January.

Hundies. Southwood isn't OOC in the summer is he?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2021 15:46

Pepe the Horseman
From Despair To Where? That's three confident performances from Southwood now. I think he's earned the shirt and with Rafael out of contract in the summer, no reason to change things. Should possibly be looking to shift Rafael in January.

Hundies. Southwood isn't OOC in the summer is he?

I've read that he either signed a 1 year contract, a 1 year contract with a year's option or a two year contract.

I'd take this source as probably the most accurate

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/southwood-signs-new-contract-to-remain-a-royal-until-2023/

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 15:48

Perfect, thanks.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 25 Sep 2021 15:54

I was convinced we were completely buggered until we beat Fulham, so it’s very good the players have clearly taken confidence from it. At the moment I don’t see why we can’t survive, but the injury crisis has to end as that is our biggest threat and oddly enough not the points deduction. Get some consistency which we lacked last season going we could still do very well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Sep 2021 16:03

Danny Drinkwater applying himself like that will be too good for this league. Swift is too good for this league. Just has so much time on the ball, thinks quicker than anyone else, finds the pass. Those two plus Laurent/Rino will be an incredible midfield.

What is the point of Scott Dann? Why did we bother signing him if we can’t use him in a situation like this?

Huge props to Tetek, was worried when he got skinned early on but he knuckled down and had a good game.

Boro were utterly rubbish, no tactics, no quality. Devolved into horrible Warnock shithousery and should have ended up with eight or nine on the pitch. Shame Bills of Attainder have gone out of fashion because Warnock deserves one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2021 16:23

It's amazing how much better we look with:

A midfielder actually screening the defence rather than roving forward all the time
A confident strong keeper you can rely on
Players in defence who are focused on defending and concentrating.

If we can get the team fit we have a real selection crisis. We can really only play one of Dele-Bashiru, Laurent, Rinomhota and Tetek in midfield with Swift and Drinkwater around.

Not to mention which centrebacks do you pick when the best ones are Laurent and Yiadom.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Sep 2021 17:08

Apart from the dicking about at the back I loved that performance. We played some lovely stuff and showed real grit to hold on.
I was worried about Halilovic and Tetek in the opening stages as Boro were targeting our right flank but they were both superb.

Is there an issue with Puscas? Is he fit? He was brought in very late in the day.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Sep 2021 17:08

Forget the harsh red - what an annoying distraction to what was a convincing and well deserved win BUT at least it served its purpose in making Comedy Colin fume. Thanks Ref!

And also as has been correctly stated, dick as he is he's good for footy and as his last season he deserves a bit of luck as without that talking point he'd probably have a lot of shit going his way.

Had little impact on the game though as their only decent chance from the keeper so in that sense I'd rather he'd stayed on.

Especially with their bizarre insistence in short corners when they have a 6'5" monster and we have NO centre backs with half pint Yiadom in there. Why the HELL did they do shitty short corners until the end when he was already sent off. Very bizarre. If that was Pauno you could guarantee we would calling for his head.

Red card aside (and it was understandable to be fair, even if ultimately wrong) the ref was fine. In typical Colin fashion they were being thugs. Heavy barges, pull backs etc, everything to stop us playing because as we've come to expect, we will often be technically superior footballers than the opposition.

As I said in the Pauno In thread, Pauno has us playing some very clinical tippy tappy fast technical football that is a joy to behold.

Southwood - absolute hero. As I've said before he is always calling for defenders to pass back to him. Absolutely brill and EXACTLY what you need in a system that we play. Feels like he's an outfield player at times. And he comes out for crosses quickly. Balls of steel.

Tetek - always liked him but I never thought I'd be singing his praises at right back. Colin did well to focus all the attack down there but Tetek was magnificent.

Hal - another game that proves me wrong. Well done you little enigmatic shitter.

Club 1871 - excellent work boys. Not as good as when we lead the chants of course. Lol @ singing about stabbing Swindon when none of you guys have ever even seen us play them! :P seriously though good work lads!
Last edited by Millsy on 25 Sep 2021 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Sep 2021 17:09

Snowflake Royal It's amazing how much better we look with:

A midfielder actually screening the defence rather than roving forward all the time

If we can get the team fit we have a real selection crisis. We can really only play one of Dele-Bashiru, Laurent, Rinomhota and Tetek in midfield with Swift and Drinkwater around.

Not to mention which centrebacks do you pick when the best ones are Laurent and Yiadom.

Yep a fully fit squad would provide serious selection problems. Is there a squad in this division with better quality midfield options than ours?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Sep 2021 17:11

A well deserved win against a mediocre Boro side. The contribution of Drinkwater cannot be underestimated. Quietly efficient , providing leadership and organisation , while constantly playing crisp and precise passes.

Good performances all round. Collective team effort. The individual performances of Southwood and Tetek bode well for the future.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Sep 2021 17:12

Excellent win. Everyone did well today. Swift, Drinkwater and Tetek all outstanding but there were no weak links. Just hope Tetek was not injured at the end.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Sep 2021 17:17

Zip
Snowflake Royal It's amazing how much better we look with:

Yep a fully fit squad would provide serious selection problems. Is there a squad in this division with better quality midfield options than ours?

Bournemouth? Brooks, Lerma, Cook, Billing…

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Sep 2021 17:49

Southwood firmly number 1 for me now as well. Would be nonsensical to bring Rafael back into the frame.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 17:53

CountryRoyal Southwood firmly number 1 for me now as well. Would be nonsensical to bring Rafael back into the frame.

I'm sure Pauno was tempted to stick Rafael back in today with the makeshift defence, but Southwood looks so much more comfortable and confident, particularly with crosses. Feels like he's going to get to everything.

Gobsheik

by Gobsheik » 25 Sep 2021 18:04

Not a harsh red card at all. The player went in for the chance to win the ball with his studs raised. That is enough for the referee to deem that dangerous play. You cannot make a tackle etc with your studs showing.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Sep 2021 18:06

Gobsheik Not a harsh red card at all. The player went in for the chance to win the ball with his studs raised. That is enough for the referee to deem that dangerous play. You cannot make a tackle etc with your studs showing.

Studs were down. Never a red.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Sep 2021 18:11

What was the attendance today? Another low turnout it would seem.

124 posts