BFTG - Boro Home

124 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Boro Home

by Hendo » 27 Sep 2021 11:15

Pepe the Horseman
andrew1957 I just wanted to say about Halilovic. I said after the Peterborough game that he had no end product but he has been excellent the last two games.

He's my favourite player of all time.

On Halilovic, a friend of mine said he reminded him of James Lambert. As I never saw Lambert play, can this be confirmed?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Sep 2021 11:19

Nameless Why is this still being debated ?
The decision has been made and that's all there is to it.
Colin has informed the league that they will overturn the card and we just need to accept that.

Swings and roundabouts though, as he's so keen for the correct decisions to be made at all time Colin will also be pointing out to the league that McNair should have had a red, or at least his second yellow, for the elbow.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Sep 2021 12:10

Mr Angry The referee's report into the red card incident would make interesting reading!

IMHO the red card wasn't for Crook's initial challenge; it was because once it was clear that Southwood had the ball, Crooks, despite seeing that, continued to try to get to it and ended up sticking his foot into Southwood's chest - endangering the opponent = red card.

This picture shows that:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... h-red-card

Goodman has never liked Reading, so his opinion about any incident is always that our opponents (whoever they are) should have had the decision go their way.

Glad you said that because from a refereeing perspective that’s exactly what I saw. He definitely continues to push and twist that leg in. Total unnatural movement in that situation, had intent, red card. If reported as such it won’t be overturned.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2021 12:16

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
andrew1957 I just wanted to say about Halilovic. I said after the Peterborough game that he had no end product but he has been excellent the last two games.

On Halilovic, a friend of mine said he reminded him of James Lambert. As I never saw Lambert play, can this be confirmed?

No. Not seeing that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Sep 2021 12:30

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman

In the sense that he is left-footed and small and plays out wide-Yes.
The comparison didn't immediately come to mind but so far, so good with him and hopefully he doesn't do a Lambert and just fade away.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Sep 2021 12:43

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman

Yes, I can see that. Twisty, turny, skilful and a wand of a left foot.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Sep 2021 13:28

Royal Rother
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman He's my favourite player of all time.

Has the same loping run as Lambert too, it's a pretty good comparison.
Just hope he's not got the same off field habits.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2021 13:53

Nameless
Royal Rother
Hendo

Has the same loping run as Lambert too, it's a pretty good comparison.
Just hope he's not got the same off field habits.

Possibly his stature, and the way he drives forward with the ball.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Sep 2021 13:58

So the only one who can't see it, so far, is Ian. I'll take that to mean Halilovic is basically Lambert's playing twin :D

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2021 13:59

Hendo So the only one who can't see it, so far, is Ian. I'll take that to mean Halilovic is basically Lambert's playing twin :D

Well quite.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2021 15:43

paultheroyal
Mr Angry The referee's report into the red card incident would make interesting reading!

IMHO the red card wasn't for Crook's initial challenge; it was because once it was clear that Southwood had the ball, Crooks, despite seeing that, continued to try to get to it and ended up sticking his foot into Southwood's chest - endangering the opponent = red card.

This picture shows that:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... h-red-card

Goodman has never liked Reading, so his opinion about any incident is always that our opponents (whoever they are) should have had the decision go their way.

Glad you said that because from a refereeing perspective that’s exactly what I saw. He definitely continues to push and twist that leg in. Total unnatural movement in that situation, had intent, red card. If reported as such it won’t be overturned.

I initially saw the replays that way too. However, watching again and in his defence, the further foot movement may have been as he tried to push himself up to his feet. With the benefit of hindsight, he might have been better off letting Southwood roll away and then getting back to his feet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2021 15:54

I really like Halilovic. He's come in and is clearly very committed and determined to give his all to our team and club. He seems to be a great character (speaks very good English too) and I suspect will become a great firm crowd favourite.

In the immediate aftermath of Crooks' challenge on Southwood he came over to the East Stand and was waving his arms to encourage the crowd to bay for blood even more! Perhaps not very sporting but excusable given that Colin rarely encourages his teams to play in a sporting manner!

Not only is he the type of character that you love to have in a team but his movement and passing is frequently exquisite.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2021 15:58

South Coast Royal
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman He's my favourite player of all time.

The comparison didn't immediately come to mind but so far, so good with him and hopefully he doesn't do a Lambert and just fade away.

My daughter and I thought he was more reminiscent of Bobby Convey, watching him play on Saturday. Maybe it's just another height and left foot thing! But at least Bobby didn't waste his talent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2021 16:03

RoyalBlue
South Coast Royal
Hendo

My daughter and I thought he was more reminiscent of Bobby Convey, watching him play on Saturday. Maybe it's just another height and left foot thing! But at least Bobby didn't waste his talent.

Yes that’s a good call. Small, very busy, committed, left foot etc.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2021 16:18

Crooks red card overturned.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2021 16:22

RoyalBlue I really like Halilovic. He's come in and is clearly very committed and determined to give his all to our team and club. He seems to be a great character (speaks very good English too) and I suspect will become a great firm crowd favourite.

In the immediate aftermath of Crooks' challenge on Southwood he came over to the East Stand and was waving his arms to encourage the crowd to bay for blood even more! Perhaps not very sporting but excusable given that Colin rarely encourages his teams to play in a sporting manner!

Not only is he the type of character that you love to have in a team but his movement and passing is frequently exquisite.

He's very passionate certainly. His slightly odd celebration on the second goal vs Fulham I liked as well

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2021 17:40

Hendo So the only one who can't see it, so far, is Ian. I'll take that to mean Halilovic is basically Lambert's playing twin :D

Well its been a long time, and I'd have been about 14/15/16 I guess but....

Lambert was quite lightweight, and I don’t recall him being lightning quick or powerful... more sort of poised and skillful (when he turned up) but then that is compared to Gilkes I guess, which may warp comparative perception.

I mean they're both not big, blonde and wingers so physically and positionally on a basic level.

But I see Halilovic as a bit more of a direct pace and power runner. Lower centre of gravity. Bit stockier. Certainly more reliable.

I'd have said Lambert had more in common with Little in style tbh.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Sep 2021 17:51

tidus_mi2 Crooks red card overturned.

No surprise there. It was extremely harsh and was a clear error by the officials.

However, I do think the elbow on Hoilett was worth at least a yellow.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Sep 2021 19:27

Snowflake Royal

Well its been a long time, and I'd have been about 14/15/16 I guess but....

Lambert was quite lightweight, and I don’t recall him being lightning quick or powerful... more sort of poised and skillful (when he turned up) but then that is compared to Gilkes I guess, which may warp comparative perception.

I mean they're both not big, blonde and wingers so physically and positionally on a basic level.

But I see Halilovic as a bit more of a direct pace and power runner. Lower centre of gravity. Bit stockier. Certainly more reliable.

I'd have said Lambert had more in common with Little in style tbh.

Not sure you are thinking of the right Lambert.
Not even convinced you are thinking of the right Halilovic !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2021 19:31

Oh well, I'm sure I'll live.

124 posts