BFTG - Barnsley

148 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Barnsley

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2021 09:50

Confirming you have no idea what ‘first team’ means.
No club operates with just 11 players. No club has a fixed ‘first team’.
When we had a run of games recently where we played a first choice midfielder and our first choice right back in central defence that effectively meant we were seven players short as we had 5 central defenders missing and 2 other players moved from their best positions. All because in your way of thinking we ‘only’ had 2 ‘first team’ players out.
Currently we have our 2 right sided attackers out injured. With both Meite and Halilovic out we are putting a player out of position to fill that area. In your eyes we are only missing one ‘first team’ player but in reality we are using our 3rd choice player there.

You are making no sense in your attempt to be ‘controversial’.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 09:51

Nameless Confirming you have no idea what ‘first team’ means.
When we had a run of games recently where we played a first choice midfielder and our first choice right back in central defence that effectively meant we were seven players short as we had 5 central defenders missing and 2 other players moved from their best positions. All because in your way of thinking we ‘only’ had 2 ‘first team’ players out.
Currently we have our 2 right sided attackers out injured. With both Meite and Halilovic out we are putting a player out of position to fill that area. In your eyes we are only missing one ‘first team’ player but in reality we are using our 3rd choice player there.

As per the dictionary definition

‘‘The first-choice lineup of players in a team who start the game’

https://www.yourdictionary.com/first-team

:|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Oct 2021 09:52

Brogue
Zip
Brogue
Rino is overrated and won’t be getting near the first team if the current incumbents stay fit. I’m not really sure what rino offers to be honest, very over rated.

And yes agreed on the subs front, we have a very weak bench with limited options. But I was more taking umbrage to ‘the we have 10+ first team players out’. Players such as Araruna who has played a grand total of 5 games for us is being classed as first team? Tetek, Holmes? Come one man.

What’s wrong with Tetek and Holmes? Both have played well when they have been in the first team. Both are considered as part of the first team squad. Baffled why you would think otherwise.

Nothing wrong with at all, where did I say there was anything wrong with them? But both would be in the u23’s when we have a fully fit squad neither would be in the match day squads.

If we had a fully fit squad which is never going to happen one or both would make the squad.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2021 10:00

Brogue
Nameless Confirming you have no idea what ‘first team’ means.

As per the dictionary definition

‘‘The first-choice lineup of players in a team who start the game’

https://www.yourdictionary.com/first-team

:|

Indeed, on any given match day we put out our first team of players who are fit, available, on form, play the correct position and fit with the manager’s plans. By definition you can’t have any injured players included in that ‘first team’. Doesn’t mean if every centre back in the club is injured you aren’t 7 players short of your strongest side as a result.
Your definition is self defeating, unfortunately for you

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 10:06

I was correctly pointing out that saying we have 10+ first team players out injured is incorrect. We have some first team players out, and a bunch of squad players. The 11 we put in the pitch yesterday are probably our strongest xi regardless of injuries bar Joao and maybe Meite. Stop trying to pick holes in a perfectly reasonable comment with really flaky semantics, you massive goon.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2021 10:12

Brogue I was correctly pointing out that saying we have 10+ first team players out injured is incorrect. We have some first team players out, and a bunch of squad players. The 11 we put in the pitch yesterday are probably our strongest xi regardless of injuries bar Joao and maybe Meite. Stop trying to pick holes in a perfectly reasonable comment with really flaky semantics, you massive goon.

Considering your only point was a semantic one your comment is dripping with irony !
Our injuries have been over several months, not just yesterday. We won yesterday so no excuses are required.
If you looked at the actual situation rather than trying to be clever with words you might not look such a fool....

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 10:16

Nameless
Brogue I was correctly pointing out that saying we have 10+ first team players out injured is incorrect. We have some first team players out, and a bunch of squad players. The 11 we put in the pitch yesterday are probably our strongest xi regardless of injuries bar Joao and maybe Meite. Stop trying to pick holes in a perfectly reasonable comment with really flaky semantics, you massive goon.

Considering your only point was a semantic one your comment is dripping with irony !
Our injuries have been over several months, not just yesterday. We won yesterday so no excuses are required.
If you looked at the actual situation rather than trying to be clever with words you might not look such a fool....

Remind where you live again? France isn’t it? and when the last time you attended a reading game was? Did you ever buy Paul Clements mum some flowers?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Oct 2021 10:17

John Madejski's Wallet scrappy game, but happy with the result. And what a lovely goal to win it.
Thought Barnsley looked decent at times, but our sloppy passing kept inviting pressure.

Ejaria back to his worst today, thankfully Drinkwater, Yaidom and Dann stood tall.
Azeez should be chewing himself up with that miss

What is it with Swift? He used be a scrawny bloke with little movement who was easily bullied off the ball. Now he's fast, bulky and strong, a completely different player

Re. Azeez miss don't think anyone has mentioned so far that he is left-footed and the reason he made it look so bad was that the ball was on his right foot, so once he came inside on his left foot the defender was able to close him down ...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Oct 2021 10:39

Speaking of beat elevens, I read a good article on how little some of the perceived classic IXs actually played with each other.
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2021/10/premi ... -the-rare/
The United treble winning "best XI" only started one Prem game. And amazingly this team NEVER started a Prem game.
Alisson

TAA
Van Dijk
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Wiji

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Be interested to see how many games the 106 IX started in that season. Expect it's still a good amount, but nowhere near as many as we all remember.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Oct 2021 10:52

Pepe the Horseman Speaking of beat elevens, I read a good article on how little some of the perceived classic IXs actually played with each other.
The United treble winning "best XI" only started one Prem game. And amazingly this team NEVER started a Prem game.
Alisson

TAA
Van Dijk
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Wiji

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Be interested to see how many games the 106 IX started in that season. Expect it's still a good amount, but nowhere near as many as we all remember.

Not sure about 2005/06, but I know that we never lined up Hahnemann-Murty-Sonko-Ingimarsson-Shorey-Little-Harper-Sidwell-Convey-Kitson-Doyle in the Premier League. Little missed the opening game and after that we didn’t get him, Kitson, Sonko and Convey all fit until after Sidwell left.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Oct 2021 10:58

Royalwaster
John Madejski's Wallet scrappy game, but happy with the result. And what a lovely goal to win it.
Thought Barnsley looked decent at times, but our sloppy passing kept inviting pressure.

Ejaria back to his worst today, thankfully Drinkwater, Yaidom and Dann stood tall.

What is it with Swift? He used be a scrawny bloke with little movement who was easily bullied off the ball. Now he's fast, bulky and strong, a completely different player

Re. Azeez miss don't think anyone has mentioned so far that he is left-footed and the reason he made it look so bad was that the ball was on his right foot, so once he came inside on his left foot the defender was able to close him down ...

Yep agreed.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Oct 2021 11:02

SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman Speaking of beat elevens, I read a good article on how little some of the perceived classic IXs actually played with each other.
Alisson

TAA
Van Dijk
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Wiji

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Not sure about 2005/06, but I know that we never lined up Hahnemann-Murty-Sonko-Ingimarsson-Shorey-Little-Harper-Sidwell-Convey-Kitson-Doyle in the Premier League. Little missed the opening game and after that we didn’t get him, Kitson, Sonko and Convey all fit until after Sidwell left.

Just checked - they played together six times. The last time was the match against Derby where we were confirmed as Champions.

The same team but with Lita in for Kitson was probably our most common starting XI that season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Oct 2021 11:05

Royalwaster

I didn’t realise that he’s left footed but I did see him check onto his left foot. It was a poor decision - he should have used his right. But it’s forgivable for someone so inexperienced.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Oct 2021 11:06

SCIAG
SCIAG
Alisson

TAA
Van Dijk
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Wiji

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Just checked - they played together six times. The last time was the match against Derby where we were confirmed as Champions.

The same team but with Lita in for Kitson was probably our most common starting XI that season.

That's nuts. In my mind they all played almost every game :lol: I know Kitson and Sidwell both started less than 30 games, but really don't remember it like that!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Oct 2021 11:13

SCIAG
Royalwaster

I didn’t realise that he’s left footed but I did see him check onto his left foot. It was a poor decision - he should have used his right. But it’s forgivable for someone so inexperienced.

Only saw the highlights this morning but came on here to say this ^^ about his left footedness
Every touch he had in that move was with his left foot and though the ball was lined up perfectly for a right foot shot he was clearly looking to get it onto his left.

Those who have seen more of him, does he have a right foot shot in him?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Oct 2021 11:17

First half disallowed goal not even close, where do they did up these incompetent officials?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2021 11:25

windermereROYAL First half disallowed goal not even close, where do they did up these incompetent officials?

Played onside by the defender in the middle who stepped up quickly wasn’t he?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Oct 2021 11:29

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL First half disallowed goal not even close, where do they did up these incompetent officials?

Yes, i paused it the exact moment it left Ejaria`s boot, at least a yard onside.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2021 11:38

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal

Yes, i paused it the exact moment it left Ejaria`s boot, at least a yard onside.

I've got sympathy for the lino.

Defender was miles from him and quickly moved up from playing him on.... I've never had any idea how they so reliably see these things in real time, watching one part of the pitch for the pass, another for the receiver and potentially a third for the defender, all in the same instant.

They get it right far more than wrong so I don’t begrudge them the odd close one in tricky circumstances like that. Especially when it doesn’t affect the outcome.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2021 11:48

Brogue
Nameless

Remind where you live again? France isn’t it? and when the last time you attended a reading game was? Did you ever buy Paul Clements mum some flowers?

I see you’ve stopped fighting a lost cause.....

148 posts