413 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Sutekh » 31 Oct 2021 07:18

When : Tuesday 2nd November 2020, 7.45pm
Where : The Den, London, SE16 3LN
Capacity : 20,146

Next Reading face a trip to South East London (never a particularly useful place to go in midweek despite the relatively short distance) for the annual struggle with Millwall. The miserable return that Reading have seen from the last three games is likely to be strengthened given Reading’s utterly appalling away league record in midweek fixtures which currently stands at 4 wins from 45 attempts over the last 7 years (and trickier still when you realise that all 4 of those wins were at teams beginning with the letter B; Birmingham, Burton, Bristol and Blackburn - I’ll therefore be calling the Lions Billwall on the night to try and help encourage some sort of positive return).

The South East Londoners have a squad with five ex-Reading players on their roster (four permanent and one on loan from Stoke). However it is likely that only Jake Cooper will start on the night as Alex Pearce and Benik Afobe are generally only substitutes at best, George Evans is injured (broken hand) and Bod appears to be currently out of favour.

Not only is Millwall’s current form (4 wins from the last 6) a problem but George Saville and Jed Wallace are usually massive thorns to Reading too. Jed creates a decent amount and scores fairly regularly (5 goals so far and is therefore currently Millwall’s leading scorer). Add to that Millwall’s decent presence from set pieces and Reading will really find their work cut out - luckily, as the game is available to watch via the red button, it is available to turn off when you’ve finally had enough of the same old story.

Injuries. As is currently standard for Reading it’s easier to name the completely fit player - which, this time, is expected to be George Puscas (those shrewd managerial substitutions at last starting to pay off then). Millwall, of course, have next to no injury problems (winger Mason Bennett is rumoured to be back early from his time out though may not quite have the fitness yet) leaving only the aforementioned George Evans as their injury concern.

Referee

Gavin “only 1 Reading away league game in 12 years” Ward

Previously

02 Mar 2021 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
05 Dec 2020 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
03 Oct 2020 > Reading 1-0 Watford
04 Feb 2020 > Cardiff City 3-3 Reading (FA Cup)
22 Apr 2019 > Reading 0-0 West Bromwich Albion
12 Mar 2018 > Reading 0-3 Leeds United
01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 101st league game against Millwall and the 51st time Reading will have trekked across to South East London. Currently it is definitely a case of the home team ruling as Millwall have won more than half of those league games (27) to Reading's tally of just 10. There is also a tendency to concede goals like they're going out of fashion at Millwall with Reading's 39 strikes being well and truly trounced by more than double the amount (79) from Millwall. So just what you want given the current problems at Reading.

Finally recent form at the Den has seen just 2 points return to Berkshire from the last 5 visits.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Red button
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 08:47

Have to be changes. I know there's not a lot available, but performances from some are unacceptable.

We're one injury away from having to use players from the bench regardless of them not being good enough, so they need to tried. Hell, some of them have got prior appearances.

Something needs to change in defence and we actually have a senior defender spare. Something has to change in midfield, even if it's just shape.

Making Laurent concentrate has to be a priority, as should be moving TDB back to where he consistently plays well, the middle. Moving Laurent back into defence should do that, and we saw it had the added benefit of us being able to play out much quicker and better.

..................Southwood
Holmes, Laurent, Dann/Moore, Rahman
...............Drinkwater/Moore
Yiadom.......TDB.......Swift.......Ejaria
.........................Puscas

Hopefully Drinkwater pulls his finger out with the rest of the team doing better, either that or give him a rocket by dropping him for Moore. This is closest to the feel of the team we were last winning with.

Don't think Moore or Dann should get close to the first XI if everyone is fit. Holmes has defender better than either this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2021 08:57

We did certainly seem better with laurent at the back. Be a big call switching him back there, presumably for Moore.

There really is very little we can do. As its Millwall, I'd bring in Holmes and maybe play 3 at the back. DD has been absolutely rotten the last two games I've watched, so he'd prob be the one to miss out.

Millwall also a pretty negative team I hear, so its keep it 0-0 as long as possible and hope for a bit of Swift magic as per usual. But far from confident.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 09:01

Hound We did certainly seem better with laurent at the back. Be a big call switching him back there, presumably for Moore.

There really is very little we can do. As its Millwall, I'd bring in Holmes and maybe play 3 at the back. DD has been absolutely rotten the last two games I've watched, so he'd prob be the one to miss out.

Millwall also a pretty negative team I hear, so its keep it 0-0 as long as possible and hope for a bit of Swift magic as per usual. But far from confident.

I still think just Holmes gives us a lot of options.

In at CB, in at RB, Moore to DM, Holmes to DM, 3 at the back with wing backs.

That Paunovic has tried none of it is unforgiveable to me. Its not like things could have gone much worse the last couple of games. Our GA and GD is already shot to buggery.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2021 09:18

Snowflake Royal
Hound We did certainly seem better with laurent at the back. Be a big call switching him back there, presumably for Moore.

That Paunovic has tried none of it is unforgiveable to me. Its not like things could have gone much worse the last couple of games. Our GA and GD is already shot to buggery.

I don't think any of those options really changes things up a lot though. Its tweaking round the edges. Moore would be, and has been, pretty dire at DM. Nothing I've seen suggests Holmes could do it. You could put him RB and Yiadom further forward, or play 3 at the back, but Yiadom has been getting forward anyway, don't think it really makes much difference. It may tighten things up a little at the back, but most of the goals we concede are shit basic errors or set pieces anyway.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Oct 2021 09:33

Drop drinkwater he’s been shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 10:44

Hound
Snowflake Royal

I don't think any of those options really changes things up a lot though. Its tweaking round the edges. Moore would be, and has been, pretty dire at DM. Nothing I've seen suggests Holmes could do it. You could put him RB and Yiadom further forward, or play 3 at the back, but Yiadom has been getting forward anyway, don't think it really makes much difference. It may tighten things up a little at the back, but most of the goals we concede are shit basic errors or set pieces anyway.

Not a fan of CBs at DM myself, but loads of people on here have creamed themselves over Moore playing DM. And Pauno has used him and McIntyre there, maybe Holmes as well.

He has to change something. Fine if it doesn't work, but passivity is part of the problem and Holmes is a decent defender, which is more than I can say for three of the current back 4 right now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2021 10:51

we actually looked best with laurent at CB, and he has been pretty poor in midfield all season. I'd be interested in a Laurent/Holmes/Dann back 3 but really not keen on Moore in CDM. And don't think there is much chance of that happening. McIntyre did ok there at times last season but it was generally only for 20mins at a time

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 11:05

Hound we actually looked best with laurent at CB, and he has been pretty poor in midfield all season. I'd be interested in a Laurent/Holmes/Dann back 3 but really not keen on Moore in CDM. And don't think there is much chance of that happening. McIntyre did ok there at times last season but it was generally only for 20mins at a time

Agree Laurent has been awful in midfield this season.

Drinkwater is just a repeat of last year. Laurent and Rino sat and weren't very adventurous, we looked solid. They then got pushed further and further forward and we were arse.

Drinkwater barely left our half his first few games. Now he's playing all over the place.

Look at his Heat map for Bournemouth, then look at it for Cardiff.

Completely different. Pauno has changed a working formula and oxf*rd it royally yet again. Drinkwater's most common position against Muff was RW ffs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Oct 2021 11:18

Snowflake Royal
Hound we actually looked best with laurent at CB, and he has been pretty poor in midfield all season. I'd be interested in a Laurent/Holmes/Dann back 3 but really not keen on Moore in CDM. And don't think there is much chance of that happening. McIntyre did ok there at times last season but it was generally only for 20mins at a time

Agree Laurent has been awful in midfield this season.

Drinkwater is just a repeat of last year. Laurent and Rino sat and weren't very adventurous, we looked solid. They then got pushed further and further forward and we were arse.

Drinkwater barely left our half his first few games. Now he's playing all over the place.

Look at his Heat map for Bournemouth, then look at it for Cardiff.

Completely different. Pauno has changed a working formula and oxf*rd it royally yet again. Drinkwater's most common position against Muff was RW ffs.

wow really? Yeah agree with you here - it is a repeat of last season regarding the lack of discipline from the CDMs. And that's very disappointing

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Oct 2021 11:26

The Rino situation is a mystery to me, a month ago he was nearly there, not a Scooby on him since, Araruna had a run out in the U23s in the week, not even benched yesterday.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Oct 2021 12:09

Another defeat in this one I reckon

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Oct 2021 12:28

This does look like a scrappy 1-0 home win to me.
I would ordinarily agree with Ian and play Laurent at CB but then who plays at CDM as I think Drinkwater has to be dropped?
Either way I would bring in Holmes and drop Drinkwater.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2021 13:46

Zip This does look like a scrappy 1-0 home win to me.
I would ordinarily agree with Ian and play Laurent at CB but then who plays at CDM as I think Drinkwater has to be dropped?

That's the thing isn’t it.

If you put Holmes RB, then Yiadom can go RW and TDB can come in to central midfield to replace one of Drinkwater or Laurent. But we can't move both out without bringing Osorio or Moore into midfield.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Oct 2021 14:02

Would love to see a response after last night but doubt we will get anything meaningful. Don’t anticipate anything from the manager and so a draw is about the best we can hope for but even that will likely be too much unless Millwall have an absolute stinker.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Oct 2021 16:00

Another loss and we are most certainly going to be closer to the wrong end of the table.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2021 09:22

This will be one of those draws that apparently happen in games not involving Reading.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Nov 2021 09:24

Looking forward to this, effectively a home game for me as it is only a 20min walk down the road. Really hoping that we can bounce back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Nov 2021 09:26

Will take a draw.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Nov 2021 10:05

Zip This does look like a scrappy 1-0 home win to me.

Agree with all of this. The fact we are bound to lose has put me off going.

Could we not put Laurent at centre half and shove Azeez in behind Puscas for the knockdowns rather than Drinky in DMC?

413 posts