BFtG Millwall

by PieEater » 27 Aug 2022 17:39

Top day out. We deserved it. Should have been 2.0

Relaxing in the market porter

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFtG Millwall

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Aug 2022 17:55

I dont even know what to say. What a win! And actual decent grift and defensive solidity from the lads!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Aug 2022 17:58

One word: Solid.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Aug 2022 18:14

It's such a welcome change to watch everyone bust a gut to get back and defend when we lose the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Aug 2022 18:46

Excellent result, all round good performance. Was a close run thing in the end, much more so than it should have been, but we stayed organised and resilient.

Don't like McIntyre at LWB, though he played well.

Holmes is looking very good, but he scares the shit out of me at set pieces, he does a lot of wrestling and will give away a few pens this season if he keeps it up.

Very very good run at the mo, all the more confusing because of the big loss to Rotherham. The possession and clean sheets don't feel very sustainable for continued results, but as more players come back, the bench improves and the XI settles doen hopefully we can build on it.

Hendrick is the closest thing we seem to have to a weak link right now and he's still putting in decent 6 or 7 out of 10 performances, something we'd have all cut an arm off for in many recent seasons.

Everyone 7 and up for me. Standouts for me being Holmes, Ince, Loum and Joao, with Sarr taking the bow for a match winning debut.

In previous seasons those misses would have resulted in a defeat and a big blow to confidence. Instead they'll quickly be forgotten and confidence will be sky high.

So many potential monkeys off our backs very quickly,conceding in the first ten,home record, clean sheets, away wins. Speaks of a very strong mentality instilled by Ince. And like Bowen’s managerial aim, I don’t think there will be many sides fancying an easy or comfortable game against us.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 27 Aug 2022 19:03

This match day last year we just had a grim 3-3 draw with QPR which meant we had conceded 14 in 6. The only negative thing is that we made it hard for ourselves by not giving ourselves a more comfortable lead.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Aug 2022 20:54

A brilliant team of men. Awesome performance. All can have 9s, but lumley does need to sort his kicking out. They were 2 glaring misses. Hendrick one was easier than a penalty and as for long, god knows what he was thinking.

Special mention to that old boy millwall fan in tracksuit with his goading and those 2 little kids, dreary me.

Quite intimidating coming out today as the fans joined up. Against another rogue set of supporters there would be a few scraps. When one bloke was in a headlock my son quickly grabbed hold of me etc.

Well done boys.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Aug 2022 21:29

I like how we have turned into a team that are no longer a soft touch, we battle, spoil, time waste and grind out a result. Hats off to PInce for that, We looked a lot more solid.

Millwall tried to annoy us by giving us the lower tier, actually it made for a great atmosphere and a great day out. They closed the walkway from the away end, no problem we'll walk around and mingle with your fans and lol at how shit you were.

Great performances all round from the team although Hendick and in particular Long should have scored to make the result more comfortable,

Needle

by Needle » 27 Aug 2022 21:31

August Champions 8)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Aug 2022 21:47

Lovely stuff.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Aug 2022 22:02

Needle August Champions 8)

Not yet. One more round of games to go.

By Wednesday, we could bec 4 points clear or as low as 8th or 9th.

Either would be a fantastic August.

Needle

by Needle » 27 Aug 2022 22:05

Oh yeah. early Bank Holiday

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Aug 2022 22:59

Just seen the sky highlights and we had the two best clear cut chances of the game, yes they hit the post but that would have been an outrageous fluke. the other chances they had-if you can call them that- were blocked, did Lumley have a serious save to make?
Deserved winners.
The offside goal, in real time Ian said it looked harsh but for me Afobi got the last touch and he wheeled away with his arm in the air, clearly offside, correct decision.
And yet again Millwall were shit according to their fans, isn`t it weird every team we beat turn in their worse performance of the season?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Aug 2022 01:10

windermereROYAL did Lumley have a serious save to make?

I ought to say this as someone who's gloated at how dodgy Lumley is: the lad did good today. No dodginess at all, came for balls confidently, punched convincingly, caught emphatically and safely, wasted time perfectly, kicked well enough and yes he did make IIRC one excellent save early on where a shot was going in he not only dived and stopped it but caught and held onto it too.

Other than that though you're right it was all Reading today and undeniably deserved to win. They tried to bully us and play dirty with dives, penalty shouts every 2 minutes but ref was have none of it and we were givibg as good as we got with the physicality. Tl

biff

by biff » 28 Aug 2022 02:23

Hendrick and Long doing their best to ruin the long weekend :shock:

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Aug 2022 07:00

windermereROYAL Just seen the sky highlights and we had the two best clear cut chances of the game, yes they hit the post but that would have been an outrageous fluke. the other chances they had-if you can call them that- were blocked, did Lumley have a serious save to make?
Deserved winners.
The offside goal, in real time Ian said it looked harsh but for me Afobi got the last touch and he wheeled away with his arm in the air, clearly offside, correct decision.
And yet again Millwall were shit according to their fans, isn`t it weird every team we beat turn in their worse performance of the season?

The Lino who gave the offside goal was in our tube on the way back. He said he waited for confirmation from the ref that Afobe has touched it however they would have given it as offside for line of sight. He also said he didn’t book the millwall player for the tackle on Hendrick when Ling was out through as they lost sight of which player it was which I thought was very open and honest

Gritty performance, nothing spectacular but we should have put the game to bed earlier with the Hendrick and Long chances.

mad79

by mad79 » 28 Aug 2022 08:09

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Aug 2022 08:24

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 28 Aug 2022 08:35

What’s diabolical about it, honest assessment of his team? Didnt slag off Reading or anything..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2022 08:50

Millsy
windermereROYAL did Lumley have a serious save to make?

I ought to say this as someone who's gloated at how dodgy Lumley is: the lad did good today. No dodginess at all, came for balls confidently, punched convincingly, caught emphatically and safely, wasted time perfectly, kicked well enough and yes he did make IIRC one excellent save early on where a shot was going in he not only dived and stopped it but caught and held onto it too.

Other than that though you're right it was all Reading today and undeniably deserved to win. They tried to bully us and play dirty with dives, penalty shouts every 2 minutes but ref was have none of it and we were givibg as good as we got with the physicality. Tl

Yep, yesterday was Doctor Jekyll rather than Mr Hyde. That save wasn't especially impressive for the save itself... fairly routine, good height, not at full stretch, the impressive bit was being alert enough to react to make it comfortably, because that header came quickly and as a surprise.