BFTG - Sunderland (H)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Sunderland (H)

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2022 23:27

Not quite sure where that came from but it was horrific. Left after the 3rd because I don’t have enough time or desire in my life to subject myself to that shit.

That performance screamed arrogance. It struck me as a team that has won all of their home games without dominating the ball. You cannot hope to consistently win games when you’re seeing 25% of the ball, it’s just nuts. If you want to play like that you’ve got to be sure of your organisation, and determination, then when you win the ball you need to be sharp and quick. We were absolutely none of those things. We set the tone for our sloppy play with our first venture into their third when we laboured, made the wrong decision and then tamely over hit a pass out for a goal kick.

We were second best in every area so not too much point going into too much analysis - it was just a really, really bad day at the office and every single player put in displays so far below the level they have shown they were capable of.

Ultimately we’ve shown this year what we are, a team that can play really well and a team that can be truly abysmal. I think we should have enough to finish lower mid table but we’ve got to make sure we keep that ability to bounce back - which so far we’ve shown we can. Hopefully we can get a big reaction on Saturday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Sunderland (H)

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2022 23:48

Frustrating because Sunderland really weren’t that good. And a decdnt performance from us could have taken 3 points.

The whole team were off their game. It was an example of Reading Hyde tonight. Sloppy, half arsed and disjointed.

Lumley - 5 probably the best of the lot, no errors but can't shake the feeling he should have done better with at least one of the goals.
Yiadom - 5 was ok first half, but fell away second
Hoilett - 4 awol for large stretches of the game, ineffective and no end product but occasional moments of promise
Holmes - 5 passing was off, and fell apart in the last 10 minutes or so
Hutchinson - 4 good burst of pace on one break, but didn’t cover himself in glory on the second not being close to his man, sucking McIntyre in to cover and be dold on the dummy leaving Roberts free. Didnt even try to close the first. Otherwise distinctly average. Stood and watched a couple of balls that were his all the way
McIntyre - 4 beaten for both the first two goals, though did well to get back for the first. Lots of loose touches
Fornah - 5 probably the best of the central midfielders completely missing first half, end product dreadful, and for some reason tried to time waste in their corner with 20 or 30 to go at 2 down.
Loum - 4 way off the pace. Can see why he's with us. He has the attributes to be amazing, but has been off the pace in several games
Hendrick - 4 gives the ball away far too much, doesn't really win it back much, doesn't create much, wanders around not really having a impact, well positive one... he created the break for their second
Ince - 5 ran a lot, but went missing a fair amount. Got bugger all help, couldn't deliver anything
Joao - 4 looks unfit and heavy. I don’t like the criticism normally, but he wasn’t really up for it. Uncharacteristically a few times he didn't even challenge for balls near him. Tried to hold off him man and roll him a few times but touch, strength and pace deserted him. Zero service.

Rahman - 4 no impact at all
Meite - 5 made an effort, put himself about, fluffed his only real chance
Craig - 5 held the ball up well at one point, brushed off a bit easily another. On for experience only.

Ince - poor showing. The team were never really at the races, so prep has to be a factor and he has to try something to change it. Rahman at HT was too little. I know he couldn't really predict 2 goals in 2 minutes in the last 5 of the half. But we needed a major change of plan and we just sort of plodded on.

Terrible decision making and execution all game.

We go again, and hopefully we pick ourselves up dust off and get a reaction.

But I fear maulings like that getting increasingly common. Our position does feel pretty false right now after three absolute tonkings and some narrow wins.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2022 23:50

First off well played Sunderland. They were bright, quick, creative, hard working, tactically astute and very determined. I applauded their third goal. It was brilliantly executed.

As for our lot that was the worst performance I have ever witnessed from a Reading side and I have seen a lot of dire performances including 7-0 and 6-0 defeats.
It was laboured and of such poor quality. There were no options to pass to .with everything done at such a slow pace. The ball would then be lumped forward.
The passing was abysmal. The lack of basic footballing skills was worrying. Second best in the air. Second best to tackles. Clueless creatively.

Their second goal summed up just how hopeless our central midfield was. Hendrick running forward with the ball had his through pass easily intercepted allowing Sunderland to break. The ball eventually comes into midfield and Loum is favourite to reach the ball but somehow manages to be nutmegged. The defence is left exposed and they score again from the left back position.

It looked like a non league team play a top flight side tonight with Hendrick utterly atrocious and constantly out of position in no man’s land. Ejaria has to come into the side for him when fit.

I don’t mind us losing this season but I do mind a performance as bad as that. They should be embarrassed to have been so utterly played off the park.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Sep 2022 07:11

Agree with Zip, a lot of credit goes to Sunderland and the effort they put in all game, all over the pitch, the pressing of a passive Reading meant they earned the right to dictate the game. Two great finishes from Roberts, but the second one I am not sure why Hutchinson didn’t take responsibility and go towards Roberts, and let Tom Mc run back towards the penalty spot to cover the middle, especially after seeing how the first goal went in!

It’s only 3 points, we need to get back to doing the work all over the pitch again, and maybe we missed Shane’s pressing from the front tonight too, but too many players not at it and this is what happens. Good thing is we don’t have long to dwell on it and we have what is a winnable away game up next to try and put it right.

Take nothing away from Sunderland’s performance though, they won the game in midfield and Danny Bath was a rock at the back for them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2022 07:36

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2022 07:46

A game between a side who seemed to think turning up was enough to win at home and a side working hard to impress a new manager.

Shocking performance - getting stuffed by Sheffield, fine they'll do that to a few this year - Rotherham was individual errors but at a team doing very well at home but last night - no, we simply can't have that again else the good start will fall away very, very quickly throughout October.

It felt as if missing Saturday hindered the team more than helped - small squad at the mo naturally and they won't have got much of a break in training intensity as would have been preparing for a game until Friday but it felt like they had forgotten what they were meant to do - which given the mentality we've seen this year is worrying and hopefully a one off.

To play the way we have played, we need at least 9 of the outfield players to be on it - today, Ince maybe was OK at best but that's being generous. They started as if they knew they would get a chance and take it and if Loum's header from the corner a couple of mins before their first had not been at the keeper then they may have been right.

That cannot be repeated - we can all accept losing but the effort has to be there.

Not going to single out anyone as all were awful and not one player could complain if they aren't in the side at Wigan.

On the plus side, if you want to find one, we are 4th after 9 games. 3 of those against the rest of the current top 6, including 1st and 3rd - so we haven't had a massively easy start in reality. Key for me though, is we have beaten teams who are struggling, that will be key going forward.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2022 07:48

Sutekh Paul Ince after match reaction:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... d-25018674

All true but I guess, and I’m sure he is, he needs to look at himself and the coaching team as to why we went out so lethargic

We shouldn’t need to keep getting our arses kicked to bring us back down to earth every few weeks

He’s right in that not one player can take any credit from that. Totally outclassed from start to finish

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Sep 2022 07:57

I’m trying to think of a worse performance from us ever, but am struggling. There won’t have been many.

It was basically like there were 11 school kids out there running around doing random stuff, not interconnected at all. I’m totally baffled.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Sep 2022 07:59

Agree with most of the comments so far. The tone was set early on as we let Sunderland have possession and didn’t press with any conviction.

I thought there were two crucial incidents. Firstly when Tince was chopped on a break and the ref allowed advantage to be played. The ball went to Hendricks who passed it into touch. It’s a marginal decision but had the ref blown up and booked the Sunderland player giving us a free kick in a dangerous position, that may just have put us on the front foot.

Secondly, the injury to the impressive Sunderland striker leaving them without a recognised striker. We didn’t react quickly enough. We had three central defenders playing against nobody.

A word about Patrick Roberts. A dangerous player yes but he’s been knocking around several clubs for years now never really fulfilling his potential. Most other clubs seem to have worked him out and his wonder games are few and far between. It was just our luck that he chose last night probably to make the most decisive intervention of his career.

Finally, Tom McIntyre, he’s got talent and I like him generally but he must do something about his running pace and style. Not tomorrow, not next week, NOW.

He owes it to the club but most importantly to himself as his lack of pace will hold back his career.

I’m 60 and an experienced runner. You can train yourself to run faster. I don’t mean endurance or middle distance, I mean sprinting. When Tom was running back to cover on one of the goals he had the air of a knackered pit pony on its last day down the mine before the final appointment at the glue factory.

Get down to the local athletics club, I think there is a good one in Reading. Spend some time with the sprinters there, pick up some tips from them and train with them if they are kind enough to let you a few days a week. Get a personal sprinting coach. Raise your legs, don’t drag them like you do. Run as if you are busting everything on a sprint rather than conserving energy.

It’s not rocket science but you need some help with that. Get it. It’s easily available if you have the will to do it.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Sep 2022 08:03

Hound
We shouldn’t need to keep getting our arses kicked to bring us back down to earth every few weeks

Exactly. You can’t keep playing the “wake up call” card.

Why do they keep sleeping?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2022 08:12

Anyway. What the hell was that smell there last night?

Seemed to be worst in car park 6 but it was so bad you could still smell it strongly in the stadium

Is it often like that? I can’t remember it.

Just a rancid cherry on top of a shitty cake of an evening

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Sep 2022 08:19

Millsy I’m trying to think of a worse performance from us ever, but am struggling. There won’t have been many.

It was basically like there were 11 school kids out there running around doing random stuff, not interconnected at all. I’m totally baffled.

Wigan (H) under Bowen - game last night drew many similarities with that one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2022 08:21

URZZZZ
Millsy I’m trying to think of a worse performance from us ever, but am struggling. There won’t have been many.

Ipswich H under Clement

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Sep 2022 08:25

Millsy It was basically like there were 11 school kids out there running around doing random stuff, not interconnected at all. I’m totally baffled.

Kind of my thoughts, it was like they were playing 11 different games, no cohesion at all and Sunderland really didn't need to do much to take advantage

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Sep 2022 08:43

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Ipswich H under Clement

I think we actually played ok in a lot of that Ipswich game and then absolutely crumbled at the end in embarrassing fashion

Wigan 0-3 - yes that is the only one I can think that comes close

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Sep 2022 09:07

Hound Anyway. What the hell was that smell there last night?

Seemed to be worst in car park 6 but it was so bad you could still smell it strongly in the stadium

Is it often like that? I can’t remember it.

Just a rancid cherry on top of a shitty cake of an evening

Top post. That was the topic of conversation in Y24 last night. It was a first, never smelt it before. Only blessing was getting home at a decent hour.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Sep 2022 09:09

The players looked exhausted, which makes no sense at all as they'd not played for 10 days.

They also played with that "play the who game like you are 0-2 down in injury time" look that was so common under the darkest days on Paunovic.

Looking at the very poor crowd before the game, I ws thinking that it's a shame that so many of those who've stayed away haven't given the team another chance this season, but I think it was probably for the best that they didn't turn up last night.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2022 09:12

Pretty abject from everyone last night. Not sure what else can be said.

Sunderland looked decent - always at least one team who carries on their form from getting promoted out of League 1. Fucking Patrick Roberts still keeps scoring against us, 2 well taken goals.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Sep 2022 09:19

That was pretty horrific. Can't recall that we strung four passes together all night. Lazy, lethargic. In fact, totally bizarre. What on earth happened? No desire, no pressing, and no options for the pass. Really odd. Switched off at 65 minutes, thankfully I didn't pay to go.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2022 09:31

Norfolk Royal Agree with most of the comments so far. The tone was set early on as we let Sunderland have possession and didn’t press with any conviction.

I thought there were two crucial incidents. Firstly when Tince was chopped on a break and the ref allowed advantage to be played. The ball went to Hendricks who passed it into touch. It’s a marginal decision but had the ref blown up and booked the Sunderland player giving us a free kick in a dangerous position, that may just have put us on the front foot.

Secondly, the injury to the impressive Sunderland striker leaving them without a recognised striker. We didn’t react quickly enough. We had three central defenders playing against nobody.

A word about Patrick Roberts. A dangerous player yes but he’s been knocking around several clubs for years now never really fulfilling his potential. Most other clubs seem to have worked him out and his wonder games are few and far between. It was just our luck that he chose last night probably to make the most decisive intervention of his career.

Finally, Tom McIntyre, he’s got talent and I like him generally but he must do something about his running pace and style. Not tomorrow, not next week, NOW.

He owes it to the club but most importantly to himself as his lack of pace will hold back his career.

I’m 60 and an experienced runner. You can train yourself to run faster. I don’t mean endurance or middle distance, I mean sprinting. When Tom was running back to cover on one of the goals he had the air of a knackered pit pony on its last day down the mine before the final appointment at the glue factory.

Get down to the local athletics club, I think there is a good one in Reading. Spend some time with the sprinters there, pick up some tips from them and train with them if they are kind enough to let you a few days a week. Get a personal sprinting coach. Raise your legs, don’t drag them like you do. Run as if you are busting everything on a sprint rather than conserving energy.

It’s not rocket science but you need some help with that. Get it. It’s easily available if you have the will to do it.

Good Post