211 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2023 00:17

When : Saturday, 25th February 2023, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Next for AFC Charity is the “supposedly” winnable visit from the proverbial banana skins of Blackpool.

Blackpool are languishing inside the dreaded bottom three and on a terrific run of 1 league win in 16 games (since October) so prime charitable fare for the Royals and certainly not a game that's going to produce a home team goal fest. Even though Blackpool have Readingesque away form (they've lost 4 of their last 4 league games on the road and scored just once) and are 21st in the away form table it will come as no surprise to many when Ince selects an overly negative XI to struggle its way through the game.

The Seasiders do have dangerous moments though and have got a point at Burnley and won at QPR and Coventry so far, they're also now managed by the wily Mick McCarthy (just starting his second month at the helm) so are likely to be decently organised and hard to break down. Josh Bowler is usually a big threat and the goals have been scored by Jerry Yates in the main (9 goals) and Gary Madine (4 goals) so Reading will need to be sure to shut down their service.

Injury will rob Blackpool of Tom Trybull, Charlie Goode, Marvin Ekpiteta, Kevin Stewart, Keshi Anderson and Liam Bridcutt plus they have a doubt over Jerry Yates while Reading should be able to welcome back Tom Holmes and Jeff Hendrick after injury and illness respectively. Andy Yiadom misses out on his second and last game through suspension.

As ever this game will probably come down to an embarrassing struggle which Reading may well win but mostly because the few hardy souls that turn up do enough to get the players over the line rather than through a magnificent attacking performance and the taking of the game to the Tangerines right from the start.

Other fixtures for clubs around Reading on Saturday - for those concerned about the possibility of a looming relegation fight:

Coventry City v Sunderland
Birmingham City v Luton Town
Bristol City v Hull City
Burnley v Huddersfield Town
Norwich City v Cardiff City
Preston North End v Wigan Athletic
Queens Park Rangers v Blackburn Rovers
Stoke City v Millwall

Referee

John “no Reading wins yet” Brooks

Previously

01 Nov 22 > Luton Town 0-0 Reading
13 Apr 21 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City
04 Nov 20 > Reading 0-3 Preston North End
04 Jan 20 > Reading 2-2 Blackpool (FA Cup 3)
27 Apr 19 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
09 Feb 19 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Reading
26 Jan 18 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Reading (FA Cup 4)
23 Dec 17 > Reading 1-2 Burton Albion

Historically

Previous league games between the clubs have returned 17 Reading wins to 15 for the Seasiders from 43 games played and of those 43, 37 have been played since December 1979. And Blackpool have won 3 of the last 3.

In Reading there have been 12 wins for the Royals against 3 for Blackpool and Reading have won 5 of the last 6 league games played at home.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 09:20

Important fixture, the result matters more than the performance again just to help boost our prospects of survival and it will take the edge off. Hopefully we can go after them a little bit, especially considering they are missing some key players as well through injury at the back. Having said that, I'm anticipating the starting XI will be:

Lumley
Mbengue Holmes Sarr
Hoilett Hendrick Loum Rahman
Ince
Carroll Meite

Subs: Bouzanis, Dann, NGW, Fornah, Azeez, McIntyre, Long.

Hopefully we can see something that will take the game to them, rather than them bringing it to us.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 22 Feb 2023 09:59

YorkshireRoyal99 Important fixture, the result matters more than the performance again just to help boost our prospects of survival and it will take the edge off. Hopefully we can go after them a little bit, especially considering they are missing some key players as well through injury at the back. Having said that, I'm anticipating the starting XI will be:

Lumley
Mbengue Holmes Sarr
Hoilett Hendrick Loum Rahman
Ince
Carroll Meite

Subs: Bouzanis, Dann, NGW, Fornah, Azeez, McIntyre, Long.

Hopefully we can see something that will take the game to them, rather than them bringing it to us.

Long will start before Meite.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Feb 2023 10:04

Ince cannot mention tired players again on Saturday with Blackpool playing midweek.

I hope for a positive team selection including reverting to a back four. Inexcusable to play a back five and two cdm"s for this game.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2023 10:31

Zip Ince cannot mention tired players again on Saturday with Blackpool playing midweek.

I hope for a positive team selection including reverting to a back four. Inexcusable to play a back five and two cdm"s for this game.

Our only senior right back is suspended.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2023 10:39

Nothing wrong in theory with a 5-3-2 but when you then have a midfield 3 of Loum, McIntyre + A N Other, that is far too defensive and just results in long ball to Carroll, who wins everything in the air with the opposition sweeping up all the second balls.

I think I might lose it if I see that sort of line up on Saturday. It's not an acceptable line up away to a team like Burnley or Sheffield United, it's definitely not acceptable at home to a team like Rotherham or Blackpool.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Feb 2023 10:40

SCIAG
Zip Ince cannot mention tired players again on Saturday with Blackpool playing midweek.

Our only senior right back is suspended.

Is Abrefa fit?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Feb 2023 10:52

well, he's not my type.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 11:04

tidus_mi2 Nothing wrong in theory with a 5-3-2 but when you then have a midfield 3 of Loum, McIntyre + A N Other, that is far too defensive and just results in long ball to Carroll, who wins everything in the air with the opposition sweeping up all the second balls.

I think I might lose it if I see that sort of line up on Saturday. It's not an acceptable line up away to a team like Burnley or Sheffield United, it's definitely not acceptable at home to a team like Rotherham or Blackpool.

Yep, at least what you get with wingers is the ability to play higher and swing balls into the box for Carroll, when we give the ball away at the minute, it's from the flick on to nobody. At least if the opposition clear a cross, it's going to be landing 20-30 yards from their goal really in a lot of cases.

Azeez down the left with Carroll and Meite attacking the box, any opposition is likely to struggle with that sort of aerial threat and Ince picking up the pieces on the edge of the box provides a threat from distance as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 12:48

GK: Lumley
RB: Abrefa / Holmes / Hoilett
LB: NGW / McIntyre / Rahman
CB: Holmes / McIntyre / Sarr / Abbey
CB: Mbengue / Sarr / McIntyre / Abbey
CM: Casadei / Fornah / McIntyre / Loum
CM: Hendrick / Fornah / Casadei
CAM: Ince / Azeez / Camara
RF: Meite / Azeez / Hoilett
LF: Azeez / Long / Camara
ST: Carroll / Long / Joao

Pretty much any combination along those lines will be better than anything vaguely 5-3-2 or 5-4-1

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 22 Feb 2023 16:18

LUX well, he's not my type.

Guilty chuckle.

Going to this one so hoping for an improved showing. Can't get any worse than Cardiff :?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 18:26

If Ince brings Rahman back in, sticks with a back 5 and we get a poor performance and result, I think that's the straw that pushes me into full on Out.

Tbh, probably even if we get an ok or good result.

What's the worst team you think Ince could field using players with more than 1 start this season, in positions they've played here?

.........................Bouzanis
Mbengue, Sarr, Dann, McIntyre, Rahman
.............Loum, Hendrick, Ejaria
........................Meite, Joao

:?:
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 22 Feb 2023 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Feb 2023 18:30

Have to be beating teams like this if we want to put to bed any relegation fears. No negative tactics for this game, I want us to be taking the game to Blackpool. Like Rotherham they're weak away so should have enough quality to cause lots of problems.

Win this and we'll be nearly safe, lose and we'll be looking over our shoulder as Blackpool will be 7 points behind us

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Feb 2023 18:49

We are gonna get turned over I reckon.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2023 19:40

Can’t be done with seeing Baba or Hoilett starting as WBs again tbh

Bored of the pair of them. Was an interesting article knocking about just how ineffective Baba has been coming forward this year and Hoilett creates nothing

Would like to see Casadei have a go. And maybe Ehibhatiomhan getting a run out. Granted don’t expect either

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2023 21:39

Snowflake Royal If Ince brings Rahman back in, sticks with a back 5 and we get a poor performance and result, I think that's the straw that pushes me into full on Out.

What's the worst team you think Ince could field using players with more than 1 start this season, in positions they've played here?

If it's allowed, I'd put Holmes at right wing back. Guy did a job for us at right back for Paunovic but I wouldn't want to rely on him to provide the width.

NGW at centre back (as he played in the League Cup - he did alright but I don't think the position suits him)

McIntyre into midfield. Specifically he's going to bring back the "defensive attacking midfielder" role that Paunovic gave him, now for a full 90 minutes.

Has Hoilett played up front for us? I have a feeling he might have done when he first got here. Once upon a time he was a goalscorer, but those days are gone.

Joao's in awful form, but so is Long, and I have more faith in Joao producing a "moment of magic" than I do Long.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 23:53

Hound Can’t be done with seeing Baba or Hoilett starting as WBs again tbh

Bored of the pair of them. Was an interesting article knocking about just how ineffective Baba has been coming forward this year and Hoilett creates nothing

Would like to see Casadei have a go. And maybe Ehibhatiomhan getting a run out. Granted don’t expect either

I think Hoilett is doing decent work back there. You obviously want to see him engage further forward, and he did earlier in the season. But we've surrendered pretty much any play beyond the halfway line that isn't a hoof so there's just nothing for him to contribute from where he is. He seems to be one of the few players actually making fairly good decisions regularly.

I agree wing backs should get to F though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2023 00:00

Almost like some of us called Rahman before the transfer happened :wink:

Agreed on Hoilett. He did well against United and OK against Watford but ran out of patience with his mediocrity. Started the season as one of the standout players, he played high up the pitch, was direct and was an obvious outlet. His home performance against Norwich was one of the best of the season. Ever since, he’s offered very little. Doesn’t take a man on and goes backwards too often, become a real passenger in the side

Yiadom won’t solve the problem and Mbengue is a rabbit in headlights at RWB so we really need to alter the formation

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Feb 2023 07:27

URZZZZ

Almost like some of us called Rahman before the transfer happened :wink:

Agreed on Hoilett. He did well against United and OK against Watford but ran out of patience with his mediocrity. Started the season as one of the standout players, he played high up the pitch, was direct and was an obvious outlet. His home performance against Norwich was one of the best of the season. Ever since, he’s offered very little. Doesn’t take a man on and goes backwards too often, become a real passenger in the side

Yiadom won’t solve the problem and Mbengue is a rabbit in headlights at RWB so we really need to alter the formation

Yep both you and Ian called the Baba transfer right. Don’t think it was unreasonable to think he’d build on an ‘ok’ season last year but he’s gone a long way backwards. He seems to have lost whatever attacking game he had and still makes too many mistakes at the back

I’d cope with Hoilett as a temporary RB but playing with 2 WBs who are incapable of creating or getting forward effectively is killing us. Basically playing 5 at the back

We could do WBs if we maybe had Azeez and NGW or maybe even Fornah or dare I say Ejaria doing the role but I’d still get rid of the system

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Feb 2023 07:45

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal If Ince brings Rahman back in, sticks with a back 5 and we get a poor performance and result, I think that's the straw that pushes me into full on Out.

If it's allowed, I'd put Holmes at right wing back. Guy did a job for us at right back for Paunovic but I wouldn't want to rely on him to provide the width.

NGW at centre back (as he played in the League Cup - he did alright but I don't think the position suits him)

McIntyre into midfield. Specifically he's going to bring back the "defensive attacking midfielder" role that Paunovic gave him, now for a full 90 minutes.

Has Hoilett played up front for us? I have a feeling he might have done when he first got here. Once upon a time he was a goalscorer, but those days are gone.

Joao's in awful form, but so is Long, and I have more faith in Joao producing a "moment of magic" than I do Long.

You have to actually pressure the opposition defence and move in order produce a moment of magic.

211 posts