178 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h)

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2023 06:45

When : Tuesday 7th March 2023, 8pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Second game in a run of four games against sides challenging towards the top of the table and surely things won’t be a bad as the diabolical showing on Teesside? Thankfully Reading have the opportunity to turn that piece of **** around quickly as they now have the pleasure of entertaining current table runners up Sheffield United in a fixture that, in recent seasons, is a nailed on away win.

The Blades have recorded 10 wins in their last 15 league games which is probably to be expected given their superior to many squad however their last 5 league games have seen things starting to get a bit patchy with only the one win to show. United have also lost both of their last two away games so will be looking to change that run as much as anything.

Oli McBurnie and Iliman Ndiaye are the main threats having scored 21 league goals between them so far, however much of the drive comes from the two midfielders Sander Berge and ex-Reading employee Oliver Norwood. Reading really need to get the handle of those two if they’re to succeed and blunt the Blades’ overall threat.

United have 4 players injured: Rhys Norrington-Davies, Rhian Brewster, Enda Stevens and Jack O’Connell and one player, Anel Ahmedhodzic, suspended. Reading will be without Junior Hoilett, Sam Hutchinson and Baba Rahman but Ovie Ejaria and maybe Liam Moore might be considered for the squad.

Finally, as this game is a rearranged Saturday fixture it will not be available via the Sky Red button service.

Referee

Referee

Dean Whitestone

Previously

05 Apr 2022 > Reading 2-1 Stoke City
20 Mar 2021 > Reading 1-1 Queens Park Rangers
23 Feb 2021 > Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Reading
19 Jan 2021 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
30 Jun 2020 > Reading 0-3 Brentford
11 Jan 2020 > Reading 1-1 Nottm Forest
19 Oct 2019 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
12 Aug 2018 > Reading 2-0 Birmingham City (League Cup)
05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2-1 Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

Reading have shared 21 seasons with the Blades since the first game the two clubs played against each other at Bramall Lane in October 1979.

Overall home form against the red half of the “steel city” is not particularly good. Reading and the Blades have 10 wins each and the Biscuitmen have lost every one of the last 6 home league games played since “Gillespiegate” in 2007 by an aggregate of 4 goals to 15, so I spy a trend that rather desperately requires some bucking.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the ground
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (h)

by windermereROYAL » 05 Mar 2023 07:17

This will be very similar I feel to a freezing cold midweek game 3 or 4 years back, very small crowd, white pitch from it frosting over and a 3-1 defeat

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Mar 2023 07:27

Sheff Utd manager Paul Heckingbottom will be missing from the touchline as he serves the last match of a 3 game ban.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2023 09:32

Big test this one. I fear a couple of home wins against terrible opposition recently have papered over cracks as we are playing like we don't even know the objective is to score. I fear the evaporation of our home form.

I don't think there was a lot wrong with the XI Ince put out against Middlesbrough, but the idea of Hendrick vs Norwood is like boys against men. Norwood is just superior in every way.

I think a few tweaks to the XI but otherwise keep it similar.

........................Lumley
Yiadom, Mbengue, Holmes, NGW
................McIntyre, Fornah
....Meite.............Ince..............Azeez
.........................Carroll

Not much of a fan of McIntyre in midfield, but I'm not sure Casadei is quite there and Fornah is more likely to create something than Hendrick and more physical too.

I have no doubt we won't see that XI start.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2023 10:23

Would go with something like that. May be worth trying to get Joao in there somewhere, system may suit him a bit better and hopefully he’ll have earning himself a contract somewhere on his mind. Not sure how though

Lumley
Yiadom Mbengue Holmes ngw
Loum Fornah
Ince Hendrick Azeez
Carroll

Maybe.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Mar 2023 10:42

Snowflake Royal Big test this one. I fear a couple of home wins against terrible opposition recently have papered over cracks as we are playing like we don't even know the objective is to score. I fear the evaporation of our home form.

I don't think there was a lot wrong with the XI Ince put out against Middlesbrough, but the idea of Hendrick vs Norwood is like boys against men. Norwood is just superior in every way.

I think a few tweaks to the XI but otherwise keep it similar.

........................Lumley
Yiadom, Mbengue, Holmes, NGW
................McIntyre, Fornah
....Meite.............Ince..............Azeez
.........................Carroll

Not much of a fan of McIntyre in midfield, but I'm not sure Casadei is quite there and Fornah is more likely to create something than Hendrick and more physical too.

I have no doubt we won't see that XI start.

I like that. Shame we can't start Mcintyre as a DM and Ince as a CM beside Fornah.

Sheffield United were great earlier in the season. This should be a dicking.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Mar 2023 12:22

This is one of the few home games this season where I'd take a point. Maybe Burnley and Millwall as well.

Sheffield United aren't in the best form. Hoping we'll have points deduction confirmed by then.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Mar 2023 12:31

I fear for us in this game - we will be completely overrun in midfield

Need to try and get 3 points from next 3 if we can, Millwall probably best bet

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Mar 2023 17:43

A mate of mine is a Sheffield United fan who says they've probably been more pathetic than what we have in recent times, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we can get something here and we need a reaction as well. 2 league wins in 6 although they've played decent opposition recently in fairness, but they are saying performances haven't been great.

It's a tough ask but we've got to believe it's doable. Plenty of hard work and commitment and maybe we can do something against them? We've beaten some good sides this year and come close in a couple of others. We are strong at home as well, we focus on the positives and we can possibly do something here. Anything from this game is a bonus.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 06 Mar 2023 08:54

YorkshireRoyal99 A mate of mine is a Sheffield United fan who says they've probably been more pathetic than what we have in recent times, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we can get something here and we need a reaction as well. 2 league wins in 6 although they've played decent opposition recently in fairness, but they are saying performances haven't been great.

It's a tough ask but we've got to believe it's doable. Plenty of hard work and commitment and maybe we can do something against them? We've beaten some good sides this year and come close in a couple of others. We are strong at home as well, we focus on the positives and we can possibly do something here. Anything from this game is a bonus.

Time for Charity FC to hand them the confidence boost they need then.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Mar 2023 09:03

Orion1871
YorkshireRoyal99 A mate of mine is a Sheffield United fan who says they've probably been more pathetic than what we have in recent times, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we can get something here and we need a reaction as well. 2 league wins in 6 although they've played decent opposition recently in fairness, but they are saying performances haven't been great.

Time for Charity FC to hand them the confidence boost they need then.

Yeah true, we are the team that others will be wanting to play against if you want a confidence boost.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2023 10:43

Unless you are Rotherham or Blackpool

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Mar 2023 12:31

Will be the return of 5 at the back. Its tried and tested and it has got us points. Lets just hope we have been on crossing practice last few days though as on Saturday it was embarrassing.

Lumley
Yiadom Mbengue Sarr Holmes NGW
Loum
Ince Hendrick Azeez
Carroll

Fornah, Meite, Casadei, Joao, McIntyre, Arbrefa, Bouzanis

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Mar 2023 16:48

Coppells Lost Coat Will be the return of 5 at the back. Its tried and tested and it has got us points. Lets just hope we have been on crossing practice last few days though as on Saturday it was embarrassing.

Lumley
Yiadom Mbengue Sarr Holmes NGW
Loum
Ince Hendrick Azeez
Carroll

Fornah, Meite, Casadei, Joao, McIntyre, Arbrefa, Bouzanis

Is Loum fit? Not in squad at all on Sat...

Would give Meite another game at home after Blackpool

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Mar 2023 17:33

This has Sunderland at home written all over it. I am finishing work at 3 tomorrow and driving down from Chesterfield but why I bother god only knows. I am really pi**ed about the imminent points deduction tbh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2023 20:55

It is going to be crap isn’t it. Freezing cold. Reckon we’ll lose. Prob play shit. Being dragged along by the son against my wishes

At least I’m only travelling from the other side of Reading and not Chesterfield mind you

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Mar 2023 21:18

Hound It is going to be crap isn’t it. Freezing cold. Reckon we’ll lose. Prob play shit. Being dragged along by the son against my wishes

Who said this? You or Paul Ince

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2023 21:39

morganb
Hound It is going to be crap isn’t it. Freezing cold. Reckon we’ll lose. Prob play shit. Being dragged along by the son against my wishes

Who said this? You or Paul Ince

Ha ha. Yep both of us I expect

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2023 22:48

My sofa will be warm. IFollow is a gods send. I'd realistically need to take a half day leave minimum, and spend £50 on train fare. So the game would cost me upwards of £100 to attend

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Mar 2023 09:44

Sheffield haven’t been so great away from home in recent weeks, losing to Millwall and Blackburn whilst drawing to Rotherham and QPR whilst we haven’t lost a home game since November. We have a chance here. Easy to forget amongst all our away game woes, that we’re averaging over 2PPG on home form

Would go with:

Lumley

Mbengue
Holmes
Sarr
NGW

Hendrick
Casadei
Ince

Meite
Long
Azeez