What is wrong with you lot?

iang040563

What is wrong with you lot?

by iang040563 » 28 Aug 2006 09:21

This is not meant as a criticism to those of you who have been a Supporter of RFC for longer than ten years, but it is true, we have never had it this good. So unless you have been a Supporter since the team were in the old 4th Division, then you have no right to criticise the team.
When the only TV coverage they used to get was brief TV highlights on ITVs The Big Match of a 6-2 win over Bognor Regis in an FA Cup tie. How many of you were there for that? How many of you sung your hearts out watching Reading lose 2-0 at home to Darlington who were then bottom of Divison 3, courtesy of two own goals scored by Trevor Senior? How many remember standing on the terraces at Walsalls old ground where top of the old Division 3, we lost 6-0 having travelled both way in a blizzard? How many of you were there to watch Paul Canoville break his leg in the away game at Sunderland? How many of you were at the Vetch to see Andy Rogers have his life saved by the Reading physio having swallowed his tongue in a collsion with a Swansea player? How many of you remember Reading losing to non-league Colchester in the FA Cup? Or another FA Cup match when Wealdstone and Reading players had a punch up in the centre circle and was the only highlight? How many of you can remember Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in what was probably the best match I ever had the pleasure of watching at Elm Park?
A guy I used to work with a few years ago put everything into prospective when he said to me that he really admired me as a Reading supporter because he was an Arsenal supporter, and all he had to worry about was whether they were going to win any silverware or not, whereas Reading fans had the emotion of promotion and relegation every season to think about.
The majority of supporters on here are 5 minute wonders - and I will probably get slated for saying it, but where were you all when we were shit? Supporting another team probably that was doing slightly better than us. If so, what gives you the right to criticise RFC when the majority of supporters that remember RFC in the lower divisions have been waiting for this season to come round. If you do not like the fact that we have only got 3 points off of our first 3 games and are currently above Tottenham and Arsenal in the table then get off your horses and go back to supporting ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea.
Sorry needed to get this off of my chest..... :lol:

royalsmudge

by royalsmudge » 28 Aug 2006 09:30

Hear Hear

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Aug 2006 09:32

Good for you, mate. Couldn't have said it better.

I haven't read much of the other posts but it doesn't surprise me about the negative reactions to our poultry 3 points.

OK we didn't play well against Wigan but so what? We'll stay in this League this season.

Definite

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 28 Aug 2006 09:32

calm down mate, this is just another cleverly disguised pop at the Plastics, and we have got over that :wink:

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 28 Aug 2006 09:35

Exactly..

Its only 3 games, it is only the beginning.

As i mentioned on the chat room on saturday.. how can they call themselves supporters.. if they dont support the team :?:

iang040563

by iang040563 » 28 Aug 2006 09:36

Interestingly enough, 50 people have viewed this post and only four of you have left a reply. Suggests to me that most of them cannot remember when we were not that good

OzBiscuit2004
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by OzBiscuit2004 » 28 Aug 2006 09:47

Gordons Cumming Good for you, mate. Couldn't have said it better.

I haven't read much of the other posts but it doesn't surprise me about the negative reactions to our poultry 3 points.

OK we didn't play well against Wigan but so what? We'll stay in this League this season.

Definite

I think we have given away too many fowls

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: What is wrong with you lot?

by Platypuss » 28 Aug 2006 09:50

iang040563 This is not meant as a criticism to those of you who have been a Supporter of RFC for longer than ten years, but it is true, we have never had it this good. So unless you have been a Supporter since the team were in the old 4th Division, then you have no right to criticise the team.

Rubbish. Everyone has the right to criticise the team, management and board as long as it is done in an informed and constructive manner.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 28 Aug 2006 09:52

I think that most of us expected that this would be a tough season, and it has been so far. But the team has competed well. We are new in the prem so there will be some adjusting to do.

Sure we could do with another player or two, and perhaps one or two players did have an off day yesterday, but it was their 3rd game in a week.

I have only been a fan for 8 years after I moved here, so can't claim to have witnessed all of the hard times, (my local team when I was a kid was Margate FC so I do understand losing and poor facilities!) but am still a passionate fan. (Funny that Sodje and leroy both came from there too)

So let's get the noisy minority off the teams back, and support them. The one thing that really encouraged me was the response when we were 2 0 down to boro.

Ladies and gents the future is bright, believe.....

Urzz

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 28 Aug 2006 09:52

Platypuss
iang040563 This is not meant as a criticism to those of you who have been a Supporter of RFC for longer than ten years, but it is true, we have never had it this good. So unless you have been a Supporter since the team were in the old 4th Division, then you have no right to criticise the team.

Rubbish. Everyone has the right to criticise the team, management and board as long as it is done in an informed and constructive manner.

HEAR HEAR! This is a board for letting out views, i am not critisizing the team, but i dont mind if people do, its there opinion, oh, and im sorry if i was only born in 1992, and cant remember all those crap moments of Reading FC, i stil appreciate it just as much!

Scylla

by Scylla » 28 Aug 2006 09:54

Critical comment should be judged on its merits, not on length of service.

iang040563

by iang040563 » 28 Aug 2006 09:56

Platypuss

If you look at where we were languishing twenty years ago, and where we are now, there are very few teams in the league that can say that they have had a meteoric rise as Reading. That to me does suggests all the recent Supporters who have only joined the club as part of the success cannot really complain now we are good. We had more to complain about twenty years ago, and I did not hear as many complaints back then as I do now

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 28 Aug 2006 09:56

iang040563 Interestingly enough, 50 people have viewed this post and only four of you have left a reply. Suggests to me that most of them cannot remember when we were not that good

50 views does not necessarily mean 50 people have viewed, as many of those will be repeat viewings to see if anything more has been added to the discussion with subsequent posts.

When a club is successful it attracts new supporters. Get over it.

I'm the first to complain when people merely have an unsubstantiated whinge but, as Platypuss points out, people have every right to voice their opinions as long as it's done in a constructive manner.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Aug 2006 09:57

All very nice of course. But what has that got to do with what I said?

"Critical comment should be judged on its merits, not on length of service."

Says it all.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 28 Aug 2006 09:58

Worthy post iang..
Reading FC have been my first love since the 60`s and will always be so come hell or highwater Prem or conference it matters not.
I spent decades dreaming of one day mixing it in the top flight and have been mocked on more occasions that I dare remember whenever I expressed those aspirations.
Now we have arrived I fully intend to make the most of it and enjoy every kick rather than wallow in our little inperfections.
Of course were not going to emulate anything like last year in terms of taking the pee out of the league and overall i`m quite encouraged by the start weve made.There will inevitably be teething problems whilst we adjust to the new level and there is far less margin for error .
Sure this boards good for the touchline experts to do their bit of football managing and of course we all have our own unique take on how the game should be played etc
I would guess most of us are realistic enough to settle for survival this year with anything better being a massive bonus.
I really hope all supporters old and new alike rally behind Sir Steve and the lads as we make this massive adjustment.Theyve done their stuff to get us to the promised land hopefully we will collectively do our bit to keep them here.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 28 Aug 2006 09:58

I'm over the moon we're in the Premiership, but I want RFC to stay there and not adopt the attitude that this season is just one big party.

Our squad clearly isn't good enough to stay up and the fact I as a fan will shell out a small fortune watching the team home and away, I expect the club to do more.

iang040563

by iang040563 » 28 Aug 2006 09:59

I see all of the new supporters are coming out fighting now.
Obviously hit a nerve there somewhere....

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 28 Aug 2006 10:00

Scylla Critical comment should be judged on its merits, not on length of service.

Absolutely right, what a ridiculous post. As it goes I have been a Reading fan for over 20 years but just becuase some people haven't, that doesn't give them any less right to voice their opinion. Your £545 is no more important to the club than anyone elses so get down off your pedistal. It's fine to have a pop at people for the conetnt of their posts but how long you have supported the club doesn't make you any more or less qualified to do so!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 28 Aug 2006 10:00

iang040563 I see all of the new supporters are coming out fighting now.
Obviously hit a nerve there somewhere....

:lol: I can't see one new supporter amongst any of the replies. Just admit your trolling hasn't worked and move along.

iang040563

by iang040563 » 28 Aug 2006 10:01

higher Worthy post iang..
Reading FC have been my first love since the 60`s and will always be so come hell or highwater Prem or conference it matters not.
I spent decades dreaming of one day mixing it in the top flight and have been mocked on more occasions that I dare remember whenever I expressed those aspirations.
Now we have arrived I fully intend to make the most of it and enjoy every kick rather than wallow in our little inperfections.
Of course were not going to emulate anything like last year in terms of taking the pee out of the league and overall i`m quite encouraged by the start weve made.There will inevitably be teething problems whilst we adjust to the new level and there is far less margin for error .
Sure this boards good for the touchline experts to do their bit of football managing and of course we all have our own unique take on how the game should be played etc
I would guess most of us are realistic enough to settle for survival this year with anything better being a massive bonus.
I really hope all supporters old and new alike rally behind Sir Steve and the lads as we make this massive adjustment.Theyve done their stuff to get us to the promised land hopefully we will collectively do our bit to keep them here.

Thanks Higher for the back up.