Reading FC on U.S. TV: check here for updates

630 posts
Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 08 Sep 2006 02:06

RCFC - Your info is truly a Godsend to us Royals in exile in the land of so-called bacon that is not bacon (just taken delivery of a huge O*ford-off case of proper rashers from back home) and sausages that are not bangers (...another case of them as well).

Going to avoid the result of the Citeh game, settle in front of the DVR at 8 pm after donning the Hoops and Sing for the Royals.

RCFC - You are a scholar and a man of words and letters.

RoyalChicagoFC
i'm sprry but are any of US tv stations available to english people. it;s no use to us if we can't get it in the uk and only you can in the usa. so please tell me what you need to get these stations back here in the UK.

I really wouldn't know anything about feeding back U.S. broadcasts to their country of origin; this is just a thread that I created and continue to maintain for my own information as well as for that of persons living and/or visiting here and with an eye toward rendering needless an additional "Where can I catch the [insert club name here] game on [this date] when I'll be in the States?" thread every time somebody who lives here may be away from home on a matchday or someone else might be visiting from outside of the U.S. --call it one-stop shopping for the States-bound RFC-needy, if you will (and accessible to those who aren't logged in or even registered). For example:

firstdivision Is there a website that shows what pubs/bars in the Orlando FL show FSC? Am there for work for Arsenal at home, so dont want to miss the live match.

Is it likely to be available in hotels, or sports bars only?

It's a crapshoot in the sense that it depends upon whether or not the cable service at your hotel has FSC on the menu, which of course neither you nor I would know (but you could always ask them before you head over --even if you could get just the name of the cable provider, I could do a quick lookup and find out if FSC is included as part of the package).

If all else fails, here's a list of venues in the Orlando area that are subscribed to Setanta, which would tend to mark them as football pubs. Even sports bars that aren't football-themed are likely to have FSC, but of course it always pays to phone first --and we've got Floridians around here who may be able to provide some guidance as well. Disney owns ESPN, and there's an ESPN Club in Orlando with your choice of all your basic sports channels right inside your booth, so you'll be golden one way or another; no worries.

So with that, and just to remind the class: the Man City game is scheduled to air live on FSC this coming Monday from 3:00 PM Eastern, with same-day delayed airtimes of 8 PM Eastern and 2 AM overnite as well. URZ!

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 08 Sep 2006 17:11

Just to reset and pass along a few personal words to Royal Yank, unclewal, Ark Royal, Arch, Tilehurst Exile II and firstdivision; all others are welcome to disregard everything except for what appears in bold...

Reminder: Man City on FSC live from 3:00 PM Eastern on Monday; repeat broadcasts from 8 PM Eastern and again from 2 AM Eastern Tuesday morning.

Tilehurst Exile II/firstdivision: Some unfinished business regarding the placement of you in front of TVs showing the games when your respective travels will bring you here. To my knowledge, neither of you is the hang-out-at-Hob-Nob-all-day-every-day type, so you may not have seen my replies until moments ago. In any case, only too happy to help nail things down at this end; PM me if you need to, and the chat function available thru the Interaction Index at the main page may be of use if there's any need to talk things thru in real time. It wouldn't require much effort of anyone, so do let me know.

Ark Royal/Arch: You know, The Globe Pub --as unclewal will attest-- does a proper English breakfast with real bangers, rashers (had to ask 'em what that meant when I saw it on the menu), pasties and the lot. So for Sunday morning 12th November, any interest in heading in for the game --or will it just be me and a roomful of Sp*rs goofs? With nine weeks' lead time, I hope that you'll give it some thought.

Royal Yank: You've got Fox Sports en Español?!? Oy...I used to, or at least for half of the day. My cable provider would show FSE until 6 PM every day and then switch the feed over to FSC (or Fox Sports World, as it was known then). Of course, usually they'd be tardy on the switchover, so I'd miss the day's big story on SSN from the top of the hour --argh!

No better was how midweek Prem fixtures wouldn't air, as FSE would instead show a rerun of a Copa Libertadores game from the preceding week, and during the baseball playoffs they'd stay with the FSE feed and show the same damned ballgames at nite that I could (and did) just as easily watch, with commentary in English, on the regular FOX broadcast network --asinine! My provider finally got smart about a year and a half ago and made the channel FSC (in English) 24/7 with all of the goodies, but in the process got rid of the Golf Channel, Outdoor Life Network (the only channel that shows the Tour de France in the States), the Sundance Channel and the Independent Film Channel. Anyway, the Spanish-language commentators on FSE seem to know what they're talking about and keep themselves and one another entertained, but of course I couldn't understand much of what they were saying.

unclewal: I keep checking and rechecking all sources regarding a live telecast of the Sheff Y'all game Saturday week, and the only place that has it listed would be the one that you cited. Setanta's own listing has it for a same-day delay from 4:00 PM Eastern and to re-air from 11 PM; Ginger's has it listed as starting at 2:00 PM, which is 3 Eastern. It's complete chaos, and FSC still hasn't posted its selections for the 9:00 AM live showing or the delayed showing from 1:15 Saturday afternoon the 16th. In any case, I don't think I'll be sending anyone down the pub until the puzzle pieces make themselves a bit more conspicuous.

Finally, and to remind once again: Man City on FSC live from 3:00 PM Eastern on Monday; repeat broadcasts from 8 PM Eastern and again from 2 AM Eastern Tuesday morning.

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 08 Sep 2006 17:29

Ark Royal RCFC - Your info is truly a Godsend to us Royals in exile in the land of so-called bacon that is not bacon (just taken delivery of a huge O*ford-off case of proper rashers from back home) and sausages that are not bangers (...another case of them as well).

Tell me more about the bacon & sausages.....BTW, programs in the post this weekend, I've been busy :oops:

North East Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by North East Royal » 10 Sep 2006 22:14

theroyals_eh Most strange after being in Toronto now for 4 years......Finally Reading FC on Canadian TV! :lol:

I'm currently in Toronto for a few days and will be watching the game on Monday, where will you be watching it? Was going to maybe go to the Duke of Gloucester (think that is the nearest to me, Global Village Backpackers).

Royal Chicago - Thanks again for the info, was going to drop you a PM when I was in Chicago but we headed up to Milwaukee for a few days first and therefore had very little time in Chicago!!!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 11 Sep 2006 00:25

A few of us Brits who frequent the House of Guinness in Waukesha, Wisconsin wax lyrical about the merits of proper English rashers, i.e. rashers with meat on them and proper English bangers. We got together and ordered a shedload of same from an Irish food distributor. Expensive but worth it. Had the Full Monty yesterday morning :D. Totally delish. Amazing how the Septics will almost involuntarily vomit at the thought of fried bread and fried tomatoes and yet will not hesitate to get stuck into cheeseburger macaroni!

Looking forward to the prog. Cheers.

Row V
Ark Royal RCFC - Your info is truly a Godsend to us Royals in exile in the land of so-called bacon that is not bacon (just taken delivery of a huge O*ford-off case of proper rashers from back home) and sausages that are not bangers (...another case of them as well).

Tell me more about the bacon & sausages.....BTW, programs in the post this weekend, I've been busy :oops:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 11 Sep 2006 00:27

RCFC - Marked in the calendar and I will do my best to get down there. My footy season with my girls's team is over two weeks before, so my weekend should be clear. I will be in touch closer to the time.

Ark Royal/Arch: You know, The Globe Pub --as unclewal will attest-- does a proper English breakfast with real bangers, rashers (had to ask 'em what that meant when I saw it on the menu), pasties and the lot. So for Sunday morning 12th November, any interest in heading in for the game --or will it just be me and a roomful of Sp*rs goofs? With nine weeks' lead time, I hope that you'll give it some thought.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 14 Sep 2006 17:27

So it finally occurred to me to do the sensible thing and make regular edits to the first post in this thread (which is where to look from now on when planning weeks in advance) while making the occasional post of the latest. Next up:

Sheffield United (A), Saturday 16th September
This one's complicated, folks. According to SoccerTV.com, it's scheduled to air LIVE on something called "Setanta Xtra" --DirectTV Channel 670-- from 10:00 AM Eastern this Saturday.

However, none of my locals have it listed as airing live, but that doesn't mean that it won't; they'd need to be Setanta-subscribed in the first place, but in any case you may want to give a jingle and see if they know anything before heading down there.

What's known for certain is that it airs on SAME-DAY DELAY from 3:00 PM Eastern Saturday on regular ol' Setanta Sports Channel and again from 2:30 AM Eastern Sunday morning the 17th, also on Setanta. Sorry I couldn't do any better; the information is just shoddy all around, and it looks like a no-go in Canada as well.

The home tilt with United on Sunday week is set to air live all over the place. Again, see the first post in this thread if you're planning farther ahead.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 16 Sep 2006 18:02

For those who missed it on TV, just a reminder that the win over Sheff Y'all airs on same-day delay on Setanta from 3:00 PM Eastern and again from 2:30 AM Sunday (which is 11:30 PM Saturday on the West Coast). Your local may have it recorded if you should find yourself stopping in during the day on Sunday or into next week; just ask the barkeep.

This week's Review Show is scheduled to air:
From 11:30 PM Eastern Sunday on FSC; twice again on Monday from 5:00 AM Eastern and 6:00 PM Eastern; also 9:00 PM Wednesday and 5:00 AM Thursday, all times Eastern and on FSC.

Next week's game airs live from 12:15 PM Eastern on FSC, with multiple re-airings scheduled for FSC and Setanta; full details here in the coming midweek.

FAO NYC/Long Island/Upstate/Jersey/Philly contingent: Sharpy's scheduled to visit and is looking for a little bit of company (and someone to help him blag his way past the ID checker) for Tottenham on Sunday 12th November (kickoff 8:30 AM local); see thread here in Meeting Up and join Hob Nob's favorite harpoonist on a Nantucket sleigh ride that you won't soon forget!

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 23 Sep 2006 23:38

For those who may be interested in seeing it all over again...

The Man Utd game re-airs tonite --Saturday-- from 11:00 PM Eastern on FSC, and again on Tuesday afternoon from 5:00 PM Eastern.

The Premier League Review Show airs extended match highlights first-time from 8:00 PM Eastern on Sunday on FSC

Also on Tuesday, Setanta re-airs the United match from 8:30 AM Eastern, after which follows "Irwin's AnaLOLysis" from a ManU perspective from 10:30 to 11 AM Eastern.

Early word on West Ham not so good for U.S.-bound Royals:
West Ham v. Reading Sunday 1st October Airs LIVE on Setanta Xtra (DirecTV Channel 670) from 9:00 AM Eastern
Airs on same-day DELAY on Setanta from 5:00 PM Eastern
Airs again on Thursday 5th October from 8:00 PM Eastern
Does not air on FSC

Those planning farther ahead please refer to initial post in this thread.

Royal Yank
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: A dry county in North Carolina... but close to the county line. WooHoo!

Re: Reading FC on U.S. TV: all you need

by Royal Yank » 24 Sep 2006 03:40

RoyalChicagoFC
Early word on West Ham not so good for U.S.-bound Royals:
West Ham v. Reading Sunday 1st October Airs LIVE on Setanta Xtra (DirecTV Channel 670) from 9:00 AM Eastern
Does not air on FSC

According to my TV guide the re-broadcast of the game on Setanta is at 9PM Eastern. (Not saying my TV guide is right mind)

P.S. just watched Doyle's penalty on the Spanish channel - the "Gollllllllllllllll" when the ball went in lasted for a full 10 seconds. I really should learn Spanish, it just looks a lot more fun way of watchng football. :)

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading FC on U.S. TV: all you need

by RoyalChicagoFC » 24 Sep 2006 03:53

Getting ready to enjoy today's game all over again in less than 5 minootas from now...

Royal Yank
RoyalChicagoFC Early word on West Ham not so good for U.S.-bound Royals:
Does not air on FSC

According to my TV guide the re-broadcast of the game on Setanta is at 9PM Eastern. (Not saying my TV guide is right mind)

Cheers for that RY. Just checked at Setanta North America's site and also soccertv.com; both indicate the 5:00 Eastern start time for the same-day delayed telecast of WHU-RFC on Setanta, whereas ManU-Toon is set to air, in full, from 8:00 or 8:30 PM Eastern.

A royal pain, so to speak, these fixtures that aren't stand-alone no-brainers. I'll keep an eye on it and appreciate the heads-up --they could always make a change and have done in the past... :?

patroyal

by patroyal » 24 Sep 2006 09:53

we are in miami for reading v spurs game. any idea where we can watch game? :? :? :? :?

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 24 Sep 2006 20:19

patroyal we are in miami for reading v spurs game. any idea where we can watch game? :? :? :? :?

::Inside HNA? joke mode ON::
You could always email Steffan over at Quintiles --he visits Miami on business frequently and is well known to the locals...
::Inside HNA? joke mode OFF::

Seriously pat, delighted that you've asked, and we'll get you an answer. Sad to report that Setanta North America's online venue finder is undergoing server maintenance (what splendid timing!), but I'll keep checking; I also have a PM in to a HNA? local down Miami way and am waiting to hear back.

The kickoff'll be at 8:30 Sunday morning local time, and it's all but a 100% certainty you won't be able to watch in your hotel room --so we'll find you a venue, and no worries; keep an eye on this space.

Really

by Really » 27 Sep 2006 10:54

So, I've just checked the Setanta Sports website again and the latest on US coverage for West Ham is not good at all.

It seems they've recentely changed their mind and have now decided to show the Man Utd v Newcastle game live, and our game at 5pm delayed broadcast, instead.

I'll be in Tampa, FL on business from this weekend and would love to know if I'm going to get to see the game live... I very much doubt it.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 27 Sep 2006 18:01

Really I'll be in Tampa, FL on business from this weekend and would love to know if I'm going to get to see the game live... I very much doubt it.

I feel your pain in more ways that you know --Setanta North America's online venue finder was already on the fritz since Sunday, and now the main site won't even load in my browser.

However...to make a long story short, Setanta can and do air two matches simultaneously --one over their regular channel (615 on DirecTV) and another on Setanta Xtra (DirecTV Channel 670). Any venue subscribed to Setanta should get Setanta Xtra also, but the distinction between "should" and "will" can and often does add up to quite a difference indeed, and usually to the point of acute inconvenience and disappointment.

Recommendation therefore: If you can, email venues[at]setanta.com and ask for the lowdown regarding an airtime and a venue (be specific as to where you'll be --city and address of your lodging would be most helpful); I'll do the same.

TV listings are badly confusing at their website (when it actually works) --the current broadcast arrangement is new for this season, and they're still making it fit-- but soccertv.com is very clear on the listing for the live airing, and my local has it listed as a live broadcast.

So keep the faith, plod on, email Setanta for clarification and a venue if you can, contact any venues given for opening times, and watch this space for anything new and/or to report what you may learn.

Really

by Really » 27 Sep 2006 19:10

RoyalChicagoFC Recommendation therefore: If you can, email venues[at]setanta.com and ask for the lowdown regarding an airtime and a venue (be specific as to where you'll be --city and address of your lodging would be most helpful); I'll do the same.

I've tried to stay one step ahead already, but it seems the e-mail I sent to Setanta last Friday has fallen on deaf ears.

I managed to get the venue finder working on Monday and found two bars in the vicinity of where I'm staying (FL 33771). I phoned both - one claims to not have Setanta Sports installed yet; the other won't open until 11am.

I was considering phoning the other bars that are further away, but I thought I'd consult you first, before I lost faith...

For starters, what's the likelihood of a bar actually being open on Sunday at 9am?

Equally, the bars I spoke to weren't particularly knowledgeable of the TV schedule either, so couldn't say whether the game would even be on... I don't fancy driving 10-20 miles to discover that the one bar that "claimed" to show the game won't or can't.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 27 Sep 2006 19:26

Really
RoyalChicagoFC Recommendation therefore: If you can, email venues[at]setanta.com and ask for the lowdown regarding an airtime and a venue (be specific as to where you'll be --city and address of your lodging would be most helpful); I'll do the same.

I've tried to stay one step ahead already, but it seems the e-mail I sent to Setanta last Friday has fallen on deaf ears.

Very good thinking there.

Really I managed to get the venue finder working on Monday and found two bars in the vicinity of where I'm staying (FL 33771). I phoned both - one claims to not have Setanta Sports installed yet; the other won't open until 11am.

In a spirit of complete and total empathy: :roll:

Really For starters, what's the likelihood of a bar actually being open on Sunday at 9am?

Strictly a crapshoot, I'm afraid; two pubs within a half-hour's worth of bus rides from me, and within blocks of one another, will be open; such is of no help to you whatsoever of course --it simply depends on the venue, the fact that it's a Sunday morning looms as a factor, and I truly regret that I can't give you a decent answer as of this writing. Argh!

Really Equally, the bars I spoke to weren't particularly knowledgeable of the TV schedule either, so couldn't say whether the game would even be on... I don't fancy driving 10-20 miles to discover that the one bar that "claimed" to show the game won't or can't.

I'd hate to see it happen, and the can't-do, know-nothing attitude you're encountering is maddening but unsurprising in equal measure. If you haven't already, it couldn't hurt to ask to speak with a manager --they tend to have a better grasp on it than regular bar and wait staff (as I don't doubt that you know, and I feel a bit stupid passing along such a "reminder," so kindly please take it in the genuinely helpful spirit in which it's meant).

In conclusion: Way I reckon it, we've got till Saturday evening to get this thing sorted, and this one's on my front burner. If you'd like to open up a more direct line of communication (email, AOL/IM and/or MSN), then feel free to shoot me your contact information via PM and we'll handle it that way; keep an eye on this space either way. Again, sorry about the hassle and uncertainty and wish it were within my power to crack skulls and bring about an immediate and satisfactory resolution, but I'll keep working it with customary dogged persistence...

shaydee

by shaydee » 28 Sep 2006 02:45

I used to go to this place all the time when I lived in Tampa. It's usually a good bet to see whatever you want but it might not be live.

http://www.macdintons.com

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 28 Sep 2006 16:49

shaydee I used to go to this place all the time when I lived in Tampa. It's usually a good bet to see whatever you want but it might not be live.

http://www.macdintons.com

Good man. I let my fingers do the walkin' on the rest. Know of any places in Miami, perchance????

Really For starters, what's the likelihood of a bar actually being open on Sunday at 9am?

You have PM; all other please see the first post in this thread for U.S. air times.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 29 Sep 2006 17:45

Right, so then, for those wishing to make plans:

--West Ham v. Reading Sunday 1st October scheduled to air LIVE on Setanta Xtra (DirecTV Channel 670) from 9:00 AM Eastern; it is recommended that you contact your local ahead of time to make certain that it will be shown at that time if you plan to head out
--It is also scheduled to air on same-day DELAY from 5:00 PM Eastern Sunday, on the regular Setanta Sports channel (DirecTV channel 615)
--Airs again on Setanta on Thursday 5th October from 8:00 PM Eastern
--Is not scheduled to air on FSC

Those planning farther ahead please see the first post in this thread.

630 posts