Cringe Time

144 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2006 09:49

the courts have decided that they too are a race for the purposes of the RRA.

So the courts have decided that someone who wants to have a traveller lifestyle now counts as a separate ethnic grouping? Really? You're wrong. Someone who just goes and adopts a traveller lifestyle is not covered by the RRA, only those of Roma, Irish Traveller or similar ethnicity. If that was the case, why is there a Gypsy and Traveller Reform Coalition seeking to get all travellers covered by the RRA act?

I would have thought any persecuted minority were fairly deserving of protection under the law. What's the problem with that?

None. No problem with people who are of a separate ethnicity being protected from persecution. The issue comes when its used a little bit widely. It doesn't help when people start getting the law wrong though. You're born with ethnicity - you don't adopt it. Its why the only two religious groups where ethnicity and religious practise are combined in the RRA are the Sikhs and the Jews.

A Pikey was and is a term used for Irish Travellers. Irish Travellers are recognised as a racial group. The fact that it is more widely used as an insult probably won't save you in court.

If its used against someone of Irish Traveller or Roma origin, then you're right. But it has synonymous use with words like "chav" and "scally" and simply using the word is not offensive in itself.
Last edited by papereyes on 14 Sep 2006 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2006 09:55

The traveller lifestyle is still heavily legislated against, btw. You may have seen that it saw a resurgence in this summer and has been policed heavily.

The August bank holiday weekend saw several large gatherings broken up by the police.

There are travellers who are not ethnic travellers.

Daddy's usually a banker.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Sep 2006 10:00

Have Reading signed a gypsy?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Sep 2006 10:02

Shaun Derry might be available but wages would be a problem.

We could pay him in tarmac.

Banjax

by Banjax » 14 Sep 2006 10:27

M4 Junction 11 Probably a good chance of stopping the 'DIRTY NORTHERN BASTARD' chant if those fecking northern teams didn't play like dirty bastards!!

Agreed, the East stand can sing what we want im sure SC GM etc understand as their colleagues get mercilessly hacked down by a DNB

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2006 10:50

from all of my conversations and run ins with the gypsy folk round here id say theyre all a little dodgy at least

and if they call themselves pikey how is it bad for me to do so

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Sep 2006 11:36

dobcheck trevor sinclair is from manchester i believe, he started his career at blackpool

Trevor SINCLAIR
Manchester City Midfielder
Height: 1.79m. Weight: 78.00kg. Nationality: England
Born: 02/03/1973 in Dulwich

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Sep 2006 11:38

Kajagoogoo Dont sonny me,i stood on the sb in the eighties and know exactly what the crack is.Money,lefties and the taylor report f***ked football in this country.

I love it when unsubstantiated opinions are thrown around like this. Football is in a better state now than it ever was - so how is it f***ked ?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Sep 2006 11:41

Kajagoogoo Royal rother,you are just the sort of leftie liberal arsehole that i like kicking into next tuesday.If you dont like the chants,then do one.

Nappy changing time.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Sep 2006 11:42

West Stand Man
Kajagoogoo Royal rother,you are just the sort of leftie liberal arsehole that i like kicking into next tuesday.If you dont like the chants,then do one.

Nappy changing time.

Sorry to hear you've soiled yourself.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 14 Sep 2006 12:04

SpaceCruiser
West Stand Man

Nappy changing time.

Sorry to hear you've soiled yourself.

Hohohoho your humour know no bounds

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Sep 2006 12:35

The DNB chant, along with several other reactionary chants, is simply unimaginative, boring and repetitive and makes us seem pathetic and immature. Can't we be a bit wittier or original?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Sep 2006 12:36

Royal Rother I am not accusing you of being a racist, but can you not see how close your statement was to the above. It's one word I changed, and they are pretty close to each other in meaning. (Regional to racial.)

Close, but no Cigar. Imho, excluding or absuing someone purely on the basis of difference of creed or colour is unacceptable. I do not see that someone living in a different part of the same country is necessarily particularly 'different' from myself.

I agree that this is probably not worth discussing much further - simply as this kind of debate is merely a value judgement; you find such chanting offensive, I do not happen to do so.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Sep 2006 12:37

Man Friday The DNB chant, along with several other reactionary chants, is simply unimaginative, boring and repetitive and makes us seem pathetic and immature. Can't we be a bit wittier or original?

So you come up with something and sing it to see if it will take off. Instead of moaning about originality. :roll:

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 14 Sep 2006 12:43

I am pleased that the stupid "oo r ya" "oo r ya" [chant until skull solidifies] seems to have been dropped. Would make me cringe to hear that in a Premier match.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Sep 2006 12:47

I am surprised at how seriously some people seem to take the various chants and songs at football matches. I would not subscribe to an attitude of anything goes in this regard but let's be honest in the main we're talking in terms of a few hundred people baiting like-minded souls not the hate-filled Nuremberg rallies.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Sep 2006 12:51

...and get shot down in flames? No thanks. I'll leave it to those who are far cleverer than me to come up with some original chants. That doesn't prevent me from having a view on those particular chants which are tedious within our current repertoire.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 14 Sep 2006 12:53

Trevor SINCLAIR
Manchester City Midfielder
Height: 1.79m. Weight: 78.00kg. Nationality: England
Born: 02/03/1973 in Dulwich

Fair play i take that back

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Sep 2006 12:56

If this isn't a combined Ya Hoops/Royal Rother fishing trip of the biggest scale ever, then I am simply :shock:

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cringe Time

by bigmike » 14 Sep 2006 14:33

oldebiscuit [If any of the boys that orchestrate the chanting in the East Stand are reading this, 1st, please, do you think that we could drop the 'DIRTY NORTHERN BASTARD' chants please, as i don't think Steve Coppell, Graeme Murty, Kevin Dillon etc. are too keen on it. 2nd, for faks sake, stop that pathetic, embarrassing cringe time chant of 'SOUTHERNERS,SOUTHERNERS SOUTHERNERS' away teams will think that were 'ALL' retards with a mental age of 5 years. 3rd, and most importantly......BOYCOTT TOM HARK!
color=red][/color] :

How do you know that Steve Coppell Graeme Murty and Kevin Dillon arnt too kean on it did you ask them???

I for one think theres no problems with it and being that i was born in the North of scotland and it doesn't bother me why should it bother people from Middlesbourgh and liverpool ???

144 posts