Simon Cox joins Brentford on-loan

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 11 Sep 2006 18:08

Forbury Lion
Super Si Sorry, Chicken Balti, but I played football with him a number of times and could clearly see that he didn't stand out at all. If you are to become a premiership footballer I think that you would clearly be a lot better than the other kids who just play football up the park.
Perhaps he's improved with age, some kids do (Shaun Wright Phillips, released by Notts Forest) whilst others lose their shine (Sonny Pike)

Murty was released by his home town club - Middlesboro!

and, FWIW,
I was a physio assistant at the Royals academy for two years, and happened to look after the under 14s and 15s when Simon Cox was in that age group, and also worked with the youth teams.

I have seen Peter Castle, Curtis Osano, Darren Campbell, Jamie Young, Simon Cox and many more, (Including Dill's twins, who didn't make the grade at Reading)at various stages of development and watched most of them disappear.

The club have so many more ways of assessing players than just what you see on the park, and with huge help from academy physio (at the time) Glen Driscoll, they were measured in every imaginable physical capacity. For science geeks like me, it was amazing to see the results of the physical tests and to see the way that different characteristics and attributes were related. The boys are measured as athletes as well as footballers, and progress closely monitored.

In my time there, some players stood out, and some were the ones you would put in the 'possibly might make it category', as well as the 'not a chance' category.
Coxy was regularly standing out in the U14/15 games, and the club have seen fit to pursue their interest, obviously.

IMO, it is league matches that really develop a players abilities, once you have reached a certain level of coaching. Getting lower league experience will be of great benefit to Coxy AND the club, as he will get to develop, and the club will get an improved player, and possibly more of an idea of whether THEY think he will become the finished article.

Everyone can name players that have been released by 'big' clubs, only to come good many years later. Like someone said, some players develop later than others. That is the big gamble with developing youth players, how long do you hold onto them in the hope they will become a future star? Obviously, it is a trade off between patience/costs, and the fear of someone else getting the benefit of all your hard work!

Not an easy job!

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 11 Sep 2006 20:11

Pool and Darts
Forbury Lion
Super Si Sorry, Chicken Balti, but I played football with him a number of times and could clearly see that he didn't stand out at all. If you are to become a premiership footballer I think that you would clearly be a lot better than the other kids who just play football up the park.
Perhaps he's improved with age, some kids do (Shaun Wright Phillips, released by Notts Forest) whilst others lose their shine (Sonny Pike)

Murty was released by his home town club - Middlesboro!

and, FWIW,
I was a physio assistant at the Royals academy for two years, and happened to look after the under 14s and 15s when Simon Cox was in that age group, and also worked with the youth teams.

Very interesting background comments.

Adding to this, I would say that young players who are receptive to feedback and ideas from coaches are the most likely to succeed, the reason that many apparent 'high flyers' have come to grief (the 'big I am' syndrome). From all that I have heard, Cox is a very level headed young man and has every opportunity to progress.

I have seen Peter Castle, Curtis Osano, Darren Campbell, Jamie Young, Simon Cox and many more, (Including Dill's twins, who didn't make the grade at Reading)at various stages of development and watched most of them disappear.

The club have so many more ways of assessing players than just what you see on the park, and with huge help from academy physio (at the time) Glen Driscoll, they were measured in every imaginable physical capacity. For science geeks like me, it was amazing to see the results of the physical tests and to see the way that different characteristics and attributes were related. The boys are measured as athletes as well as footballers, and progress closely monitored.

In my time there, some players stood out, and some were the ones you would put in the 'possibly might make it category', as well as the 'not a chance' category.
Coxy was regularly standing out in the U14/15 games, and the club have seen fit to pursue their interest, obviously.

IMO, it is league matches that really develop a players abilities, once you have reached a certain level of coaching. Getting lower league experience will be of great benefit to Coxy AND the club, as he will get to develop, and the club will get an improved player, and possibly more of an idea of whether THEY think he will become the finished article.

Everyone can name players that have been released by 'big' clubs, only to come good many years later. Like someone said, some players develop later than others. That is the big gamble with developing youth players, how long do you hold onto them in the hope they will become a future star? Obviously, it is a trade off between patience/costs, and the fear of someone else getting the benefit of all your hard work!

Not an easy job!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Sep 2006 10:20

Super Si Cox used to go to my school. He never looked like anything special then and I haven't seen anything from him since that would suggest otherwise. Always looks like a boy running around aimlessly amongst men.

Won't ever be good enough and is destined for a career in the non-league.

You remind me of the time TBM dissed Nathan Tyson.

Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

by Chicken Balti Pie » 12 Sep 2006 11:00

Pool and Darts I was a physio assistant at the Royals academy for two years

Yeah course you were mate :wink:

Mr Brightside
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mr Brightside » 12 Sep 2006 22:50

Played 85 minutes tonight - Hungerford Bee, BRENFORD_TIL_I_DIE, did you go, if so your thoughts please?

Hungerford Bee

by Hungerford Bee » 13 Sep 2006 06:15

It was pretty much men against boys last night and Cox fitted in well with that!

Swansea have splashed some more cash since losing in the play off final and it showed. No Trundle but Knight is a real handful and scored a couple of lovely goals - looked better at this level than Lita did a couple of seasons ago.

Cox played in central midfield and for somebody who had only joined the day before he did pretty well. Lots of energy and not afraid to get involved in the hurly burly of league 1. With a couple of weeks to gel with the team he looks like a good acquisiton on a loan basis as we could never afford to sign him. Don't think he will be asked to take any more free kicks though as the one he did take was the worst I have seen for a many seasons. He got a good reception when he was subbed near the end.

Hungerford Bee

by Hungerford Bee » 16 Sep 2006 21:26

Played the entire game today - settling in nicely. Did pick up a silly booking for taking a shot after the whistle had been blown by the refereee - a certain Mr T. Kettle.

Any idea if was can play him against Luton in the Carling cup next week?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Sep 2006 14:54

SpaceCruiser
Super Si Cox used to go to my school. He never looked like anything special then and I haven't seen anything from him since that would suggest otherwise. Always looks like a boy running around aimlessly amongst men.

You remind me of the time TBM dissed Nathan Tyson.

Sorry? :?

Why would i "diss" a mate of mine?!

Twat

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 21 Sep 2006 09:18

Hungerford Bee It was pretty much men against boys last night and Cox fitted in well with that!

Swansea have splashed some more cash since losing in the play off final and it showed. No Trundle but Knight is a real handful and scored a couple of lovely goals - looked better at this level than Lita did a couple of seasons ago.

Cox played in central midfield and for somebody who had only joined the day before he did pretty well. Lots of energy and not afraid to get involved in the hurly burly of league 1. With a couple of weeks to gel with the team he looks like a good acquisiton on a loan basis as we could never afford to sign him. Don't think he will be asked to take any more free kicks though as the one he did take was the worst I have seen for a many seasons. He got a good reception when he was subbed near the end.

We were in the terrace behind the goal and directly in line with the keeper and Cox when he took the free kick. He was giving the keeper the old eye trick in one corner and then promptly decided to 'SMASH IT!' about 20 yards high and wide. Was a little funny!

He looked ok in that game but wasn't clicking too well with his new team mates. Probably not Premiership quality based on this one performance though.

refwinter

by refwinter » 21 Sep 2006 14:51

I cant see him staying at Reading for long,probably end up in the lower divisions.
Last edited by refwinter on 17 Jan 2007 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Hungerford Bee

by Hungerford Bee » 27 Sep 2006 07:36

Had his best game for us last night at the Den until he got crocked in the second half. He was injured near the touchline and kept rolling back on the pitch so that the game could not restart and in the end went off on a stretcher only to reappear a few minutes later and come back on the pitch for a few minutes before hobbling off again.

You can imagine how those nice Millwall fans reacted to that!

He did take an excellent free kick which the keeper did well to save early in the second half but his injury did not look to be trivial.....

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re:

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Jan 2014 17:41

Found this and thought worth dragging back up. good old Reading fans.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Simon Cox joins Brentford on-loan

by ZacNaloen » 02 Jan 2014 17:50

Done alright for himself,but never a premier league player like he thought he was in 2007.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Re:

by Terminal Boardom » 02 Jan 2014 18:20

Harpers So Solid Crew

So, you have waited 7 years to dig this up? How pathetic can this forum get?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2014 18:24

Terminal Boardom
Harpers So Solid Crew

Hi Super Si.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Jan 2014 18:44

Terminal Boardom
Harpers So Solid Crew

TBF it just sort of shows that the posters here are not as knowledgable as they like to think. FWIW I did not wait 7 years, which is obvious to anyone, however i Came across it looking for the Sidwell thread.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Simon Cox joins Brentford on-loan

by Reading4eva » 02 Jan 2014 19:01

Well believe it or not, I went to his school too and played upfront with him then. He was a different quality to the rest of the school and we ripped the arsehole of other teams who decided to turn up.

The lad was quality then, quality now and although he will never be a Premier League superstar, he is earning a decent living.

Nottingham Forest or Purley Jubilee? You decide