I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

185 posts
Tilehurst Mike

Re: I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

by Tilehurst Mike » 09 Oct 2006 11:47

handbags_harris Seeing as we've had underrated, we may as well have overrated.

I think my most overrated player would have to be James Lambert. Infuriatingly good on the telly, but never produced the goods every week. Remember a couple of awesome goals he scored, one particularly against Port Vale in Sep 95 springs to mind, and the THAT Forest goal, but otherwise his ability never shone through.

Hughie Cheetham. We signed him from Crewe at a time when he was being touted the 'new Brian Robson' What a complete and utter waster and waste of money at the time. Ended his career playing for some Sunday League team in Reading

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 09 Oct 2006 11:49

Shaun Goater.

He had the occasional good touch, but he was such a lazy player.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Oct 2006 11:50

Robin Friday :wink:

Of modern times Ray Houghton was a huge disappointment while from my childhood days i could never understand why Gary Peters was so popular with the fans. I thought he was absolute garbage.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Oct 2006 11:55

I can't think of anyone who dissapointed me more than Luke Chadwick, when we signed him I thought he'd give us that extra something special for the play off push, instead he was one of the most light weight players i've seen for many years.

Still he seems to have done ok at Stoke, still beyond me why Pardew bothered taking him to West Ham.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:12

Marcus Hahnemann.

Great shot stopper but very over rated!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Oct 2006 12:14

Has anyone mentioned Bas Savage yet?

He must have had something when he trained that made all the coaches and managers rate him highly - it was just people who saw him play who rated him so lowly.

Frustrated_Royal

by Frustrated_Royal » 09 Oct 2006 12:14

I'll go with Michael Meaker or Carl Asaba.

I'd say they were only overrated because they didn't live up to their price tags... I think Meaker was valued at about £250,000 in the Osborn deal.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 09 Oct 2006 12:16

Rich@Eaststand Marcus Hahnemann.

What a cock.

You really have no clue.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 12:18

Hughes, Igoe, Rougier, McIntyre, Morley, Goater, Caskey and many more.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Oct 2006 12:24

Tinrib

What a cock.

You really have no clue.

I agree with you. Do you reckon that "Rich@Eaststand"'s real name is Phil Whitehead?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Oct 2006 12:24

Mr Igoe - can't understand why he had a song when Ingy doesn't.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Oct 2006 12:26

Mr Igoe - can't understand why he had a song when Ingy doesn't.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Oct 2006 12:26

Royalee Hughes, Igoe, Rougier, McIntyre, Morley, Goater, Caskey and many more.

The funny thing about your list is that half of these players helped Reading get promoted from the nightmareish second division (Now league one). :roll:

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:30

Tinrib

What a cock.

You really have no clue.

I knew I'd get grief for it but I'll stand by it.

Like I said, he is a great shot stopper.

There other areas of his game that worry me though.

His Kicking has gradually got worse since joining. When he first arrived this was one, if not his best attribute. Now he seems to slice the ball off the pitch a lot of the time. When he throws the ball out to the fullbacks and build from the back we look good but he doesn't seem to do this as much as maybe he could.

He doesn't seem to command his area as well as he could either. He is hesitant coming for crosses and is often slow off his line.

He seems to have a weakness with free-kicks around the box. His walls don't always look right and they seem to cause him a lot of problems.

His handling hasn't been great this season. He keeps spilling shots that are hit straight at him and, although he has got away with it most the time this season, we will get punished at some point (I put this down to the black gloves - that's not right!).

In no way am I saying that he's crap, he is a good keeper. I just think that too many people seem to think that he is untouchable and never makes a mistake. On the odd time that anyone does point something out they tend to get the same kind of response that I got above.

The thread is for players that are over-rated. That doesn't mean they are bad players. I think Marcus is a good keeper but no where near as good as some people think.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Oct 2006 12:32

SpaceCruiser

The funny thing about your list is that half of these players helped Reading get promoted from the nightmareish second division (Now league one). :roll:

Indeed, but how long did it take them? Who's to say that with different players we might have got out of there a lot quicker (e.g. if Mr Rougier hadn't come back to "defend" in extra time of the Walsall play-off final?)

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 09 Oct 2006 12:38

Rich@Eaststand
Tinrib

What a cock.

You really have no clue.

I knew I'd get grief for it but I'll stand by it.

Like I said, he is a great shot stopper.

There other areas of his game that worry me though.

His Kicking has gradually got worse since joining. When he first arrived this was one, if not his best attribute. Now he seems to slice the ball off the pitch a lot of the time. When he throws the ball out to the fullbacks and build from the back we look good but he doesn't seem to do this as much as maybe he could.

He doesn't seem to command his area as well as he could either. He is hesitant coming for crosses and is often slow off his line.

He seems to have a weakness with free-kicks around the box. His walls don't always look right and they seem to cause him a lot of problems.

His handling hasn't been great this season. He keeps spilling shots that are hit straight at him and, although he has got away with it most the time this season, we will get punished at some point (I put this down to the black gloves - that's not right!).

In no way am I saying that he's crap, he is a good keeper. I just think that too many people seem to think that he is untouchable and never makes a mistake. On the odd time that anyone does point something out they tend to get the same kind of response that I got above.

The thread is for players that are over-rated. That doesn't mean they are bad players. I think Marcus is a good keeper but no where near as good as some people think.

Is the title of the thread what Rich@Eaststand thinks of Marcus, or is it ' Overrated player'(s).

There is no way in a a million years that Marcus is overrated by anyone. In fact I'd say that he's underrated, seeing as where he came from (3rd choice at Fulham) and how hard he's worked at his game to get where he is.

Your post is bollocks.
Last edited by Tinrib on 09 Oct 2006 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Oct 2006 12:38

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 12:39

SpaceCruiser

Rougier single-handedly cost us the playoff final, Igoe was always a bit part player who flattered to deceive and Hughes kept us out of the playoffs by single handedly destroying the balance of our side and has since led to Worthington losing his job.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 12:40

floyd__streete

That's a tad harsh.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 12:42

Royalee
SpaceCruiser

Rougier single-handedly cost us the playoff final, Igoe was always a bit part player who flattered to deceive and Hughes kept us out of the playoffs by single handedly destroying the balance of our side and has since led to Worthington losing his job.

You can't be serious? :roll:

floyd - Ouch, that is harsh. Weird how Archie never really played up front for anyone else apart from us though! :?

185 posts