Underrated_Players

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Oct 2006 20:05

jenster81
roberto_11 Sammy Igoe, Pardew forced him out for some reason, but always played well for us

There's quite a huge story behind that one... can't tell you, but just to let you know!

I heard at the time that Sammy modelled himself on Byron Glasgow.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 21:28

Adi Viveash was immense for us in 00-01, also after that despite being a bit part player never let us down.

Steve Brown I always felt never got any recognition yet was another one who was very good. Probably along with Sonko our best out and out defender in recent years.

More recetly Chris Makin could be another one who was solid enough and any other year would probably have played 40+ games last season.

Was always a big fan of Kevin Watson and I felt he made a massive impact to help us get promoted and never really got a fair chance in Div 1. Showing his class now at Col U.

Slightly further back Gareth Davies was a decent centre half but was farmed out by Burns in favour of ELOLroy Kromheer :?

Actually thinking back we could have had a reasonable side in 98-99 had Burns not fcuked it up with too many signings.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 08 Oct 2006 21:33

Kevin Watson was definitely under rated.

Old Trevor (morley) kept us up single handedly one season..........

Tom Jones was also good in 92/93 and never got the plaudits he deserved

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 21:36

Only one Trevor Morley Kevin Watson was definitely under rated.

Trevor Morley was ace and one of my favourite players!

Still remember a goal against Cardiff in the cup (Hammonds heroics)

I was stood in the Tilehurst End right behind the goal, remember singing come on you Royals then Morley headed the corner with the loudest thump I've ever heard and that ball was going striaght at my face but thankfully the net was in the way!!! :lol: SLAP 1-1. Bullet of a header. 8)

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Oct 2006 21:47

Alan Partridge

I was stood in the Tilehurst End right behind the goal, remember singing come on you Royals then Morley headed the corner with the loudest thump I've ever heard and that ball was going striaght at my face but thankfully the net was in the way!!! :lol: SLAP 1-1. Bullet of a header. 8)

Agree, remember that, could hear the thud from the South Bank as well!

No surprise that nobody has mentioned Keith Jones, but I thought that guy's ability to break up play and lay it off simple was totally undermined by the fact that the majority of fans seemed to want him to charge forward on lungbursting runs and create/score goals from midfield. He was never that type of player. He was more of a Claude Makelele type man, and never received the recognition he deserved.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2006 22:16

handbags_harris
Alan Partridge

Agree, remember that, could hear the thud from the South Bank as well!

No surprise that nobody has mentioned Keith Jones, but I thought that guy's ability to break up play and lay it off simple was totally undermined by the fact that the majority of fans seemed to want him to charge forward on lungbursting runs and create/score goals from midfield. He was never that type of player. He was more of a Claude Makelele type man, and never received the recognition he deserved.

Had a cracking game at Swansea when Curo scored in a 1-0 win. Never really got a run in the side and sadly wasn't a fan favourite, often came in for undeserved stick.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Oct 2006 22:35

Alan Partridge Adi Viveash was immense for us in 00-01, also after that despite being a bit part player never let us down.

Steve Brown I always felt never got any recognition yet was another one who was very good. Probably along with Sonko our best out and out defender in recent years.

More recetly Chris Makin could be another one who was solid enough and any other year would probably have played 40+ games last season.

Was always a big fan of Kevin Watson and I felt he made a massive impact to help us get promoted and never really got a fair chance in Div 1. Showing his class now at Col U.

Slightly further back Gareth Davies was a decent centre half but was farmed out by Burns in favour of ELOLroy Kromheer :?

Actually thinking back we could have had a reasonable side in 98-99 had Burns not fcuked it up with too many signings.
top post

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 08 Oct 2006 22:52

Readingfanman Mr Ingimarsson

spot on....i thought he and murty would struggle at this level but im glad thye have proved me wrong.....in fact ingi is pushing for player of the season so far....

sorry, martin williams wasnt that good.....but not rubbish...just average in a poor team - he had a nickname of skittles for a reason

Paul Canoville until he got injured and i think had to give up footy - real shame - he looked really good in the small number of games he played

simon osbourne was class for royals but when he left for wolves i think - he went right downhill

darren caskey - sometimes great, sometimes crap - seemed to have the skill but didnt apply it often enough and then dropped a division and went to Notts Co for more money rather than a division higher with Millwall for less money - then disappeared - mad!

Hunt, Gunnarsson, Oster - would have played 40+ games in almost any championship side last season

Also, Kevin Bremer was a great player who was always in the shadow on goalscoring legend, Trevor Senior - the donkey :lol: - despite being IMO a much better player.

yeh trevor morley was a brave player - can you imagine some of the premadona's of today continuing to play after the injury he suffered where one player, tried to kill him....he suffered a fractured skull from an elbow at a pompey game 94-95 i think

I think Ingi takes the crown IMO - his header against Man City eptomises everything about the Royals team spirit

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 09 Oct 2006 09:14

Linvoy Primus.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 Oct 2006 09:32

HighburyRoyale Linvoy Primus.

Good shout. Anyone would have struggled to look good playing in that team. Who would have thought he would go on to be a premiership veteran, and even (briefly) top of the premiership table!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Oct 2006 09:39

I remember the threads on here when Brown came in as, effectively, a replacement for Upson.

People were not happy bunnies.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 09 Oct 2006 10:18

AthleticoSpizz
Alan Partridge Adi Viveash was immense for us in 00-01, also after that despite being a bit part player never let us down.

top post

Seconded. Steve Brown was, as papereyes mentions, pretty much a replacement for the departing on-loan Upson. Chalk and cheese. But for an old fella he was a superb defender. Absolutely fearless.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:20

Anyone who replaced Upson was on a hiding to nothing, even our current two would have struggled. Brown was a top pro that threw his body in where it hurt, blocked shots for fun and read the game superbly.

Ended his career by playing when he shouldn't have done for the cause. Sums the bloke up. :( Class act.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 09 Oct 2006 10:23

Neil Smith hasn't been mentioned yet, I had a lot of time for him, and he always did very well when he came into the team, was a shame he didn't get more recognition and more first team games for us.

Good shouts on Davies and Watson AP.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 10:25

Dangerous Neil Smith hasn't been mentioned yet, I had a lot of time for him, and he always did very well when he came into the team, was a shame he didn't get more recognition and more first team games for us.

Good shouts on Davies and Watson AP.

Great shout Dang, always liked Neil Smith thought he was a cracking player that never got a fair run in the side. 8)

Scored a belting diving header at Bristol Rovers in the 2-2 when they had a couple sent off and the ref ran for his life!! :lol:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Oct 2006 12:22

Definitely Ingy - time we had a song for him.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Oct 2006 12:26

Definitely Ingy - time we had a song for him.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 09 Oct 2006 13:08

Stuart Beavon???

Yes, was awarded a testimonial (after he left, if memory serves me right) but opinion was always divided on him. I always thought he could actually play a bit, something which clearly wasn't a prerequisite in a Branfoot team!!

Goal at Newport (my first ever away game) when we won the twelfth game on the bounce at the start of '85-'86, penalty in Simod Cup final (plus winner against Forest in an earlier round) 450+ appearannces...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Oct 2006 13:15

Gandalf Presley Stuart Beavon???

Yes, was awarded a testimonial (after he left, if memory serves me right) but opinion was always divided on him. I always thought he could actually play a bit, something which clearly wasn't a prerequisite in a Branfoot team!!

Goal at Newport (my first ever away game) when we won the twelfth game on the bounce at the start of '85-'86, penalty in Simod Cup final (plus winner against Forest in an earlier round) 450+ appearannces...

Agreed, fantastic footballer but far too pretty/skilful for many of the Elm Park faithful who at that time had difficulty in spotting real football talent due to their preference for blood and guts players who looked like they were working really hard for the cause. Being a true footballer Beavon made things look easy which was wrongly interpreted by some amongst our support as a lack of effort on his part.

Like most of the quality ball players we've had in the past he also suffered from the fact that he had a far better and quicker football brain than most of his team-mates who struggled to see the openings and opportunities for passes that he could.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 09 Oct 2006 16:38

I thought Joe Gamble looked very good in the few games he played for us. Composed on the ball with a good passing range, if a bit lightweight. Shame he was never the same after a bad injury.

Good shout for Keith Jones, the abuse he used to get sometimes made me ashamed to be a Reading fan.