I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

185 posts
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 Oct 2006 12:17

Several differences between Parky and Andy Hughes but the main one was that Parky tackled, Hughesy didn't - he just looked like he was going to then usually pulled out or went in half-hearted. Harsh but true. Tackled a bit more when he was playing as a full back (but then he had to in this position).

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 11 Oct 2006 13:12

Whatever differences you say the had they were both players with limited ability who made up for it with endevour and in parkys case he became a legend where hughes was derided in some quarter's which is why i say parky was an overrated player.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

Re: I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

by Royal_Delight » 05 Mar 2010 11:01

Jimmy Kebe

Too early? :lol:

Isaac Hunt

Re:

by Isaac Hunt » 05 Mar 2010 12:12

dobcheck I will get slated for this but i don't care, parky was overrated, everyone seems to think he was brilliant, yeah he gave 100% and got stuck in but in terms of being a good player he was not fit to lace the boots of players like mick gooding, simon osborn or sidders. It always makes me laugh how some people slated andy hughes yet worship the ground parky walked in when basically they were the same box to box all huff and puff type players with limited ability.

Beat me to it. I loved Parky for the commitment he gave, and we needed him in the teams he played in, but he was limited in ablilty, yet many hold him as god-like. He made the best of his ablilty and that's to be applauded - but he'd not have got near the Championship winning side.

It all depends on the definition of overrated.

If it's those that came to RFC all fanfares and with big reputations then Steve Moran was one for sure - Bobby Mihailov and Mass Sarr others, and despite a season of knocking in goals from midfield, Caskey was another....so too Goater and more recently Lita and Matejovsky IMO.

If it's about the ex-players that are still worshipped now then Parky would get my vote every time. Lovely bloke, gave his all, but wasn't much of a footballer.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 05 Mar 2010 12:28

An overrated player would be someone who could not lace his predecessor`s boots but then was named player of the year.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Mar 2010 12:32

Matejovsky

fester_royal

Re:

by fester_royal » 05 Mar 2010 12:52

bassavage Hughesy!!

+1 +1 infinitum.
no one is going to beat andy hughes at being over rated!

fester_royal

Re:

by fester_royal » 05 Mar 2010 12:54

alad Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

but what a season! :D

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Re:

by Maguire » 05 Mar 2010 12:57

fester_royal
bassavage Hughesy!!

+1 +1 infinitum.
no one is going to beat andy hughes at being over rated!

But he got dogged by Reading fans for his entire career even though he tried his arse off, so how can he be overrated? :|

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

Re: Re:

by donface » 05 Mar 2010 13:03

Isaac Hunt
dobcheck I will get slated for this but i don't care, parky was overrated, everyone seems to think he was brilliant, yeah he gave 100% and got stuck in but in terms of being a good player he was not fit to lace the boots of players like mick gooding, simon osborn or sidders. It always makes me laugh how some people slated andy hughes yet worship the ground parky walked in when basically they were the same box to box all huff and puff type players with limited ability.

Beat me to it.

By three and a half years

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Mar 2010 13:46

No Fixed Abode Matejovsky

Fo' sho'

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re:

by Ark Royal » 05 Mar 2010 15:26

Royalee
floyd__streete

That's a tad harsh.

That is tantamount to sacrilege. Burn the heretic!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Mar 2010 15:27

For me, definitely Carl Asaba. For a record signing, he was complete bobbins.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Mar 2010 15:29

Ark Royal For me, definitely Carl Asaba. For a record signing, he was complete bobbins.

I disagree with that, he did finish the season as our top scorer with something like 12 goals. The reason he looked like he was rubbish was because he had to play with a team that consisted of really bad players, like Swales and Meaker.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re:

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Mar 2010 15:32

alad Bobby Convey.

One season wonder.

But what a season.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 05 Mar 2010 15:33

SpaceCruiser
Ark Royal For me, definitely Carl Asaba. For a record signing, he was complete bobbins.

I disagree with that, he did finish the season as our top scorer with something like 12 goals. The reason he looked like he was rubbish was because he had to play with a team that consisted of really bad players, like Swales and Meaker.

Spacey, if you ever talk jive about Michael Meaker again you'll be getting a beat down.

The white white Pele

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Mar 2010 15:41

SpaceCruiser

Quite apart from that, he came here under misaprhenesion that he was a big, bustling traget man - whereas he was nothing of the sort. Like Lita, he was lethal when the ball was played ahead of him for him to run onto, but we still persisted in playing the ball in the air for him.

He got pilloried for not being the player supporters wanted him to be, rather than praised for being the player he actually was.

Exactly the same things hppened a few years later - when Jim Mcintyre was pilloried for not being a target man in the same way.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 05 Mar 2010 16:21

Barry Butlin,we had him on loan for about six games and he was utter crap.We were very excited about him coming here because he was quite a big "name"at the time but he was a pure waste of space

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Mar 2010 17:22

Dirk Gently
SpaceCruiser

Quite apart from that, he came here under misaprhenesion that he was a big, bustling traget man - whereas he was nothing of the sort. Like Lita, he was lethal when the ball was played ahead of him for him to run onto, but we still persisted in playing the ball in the air for him.

He got pilloried for not being the player supporters wanted him to be, rather than praised for being the player he actually was.

Exactly the same things hppened a few years later - when Jim Mcintyre was pilloried for not being a target man in the same way.

That's his own fault for being big and black. :roll:

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 05 Mar 2010 17:33

Steve Archibald

185 posts