Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Oct 2006 12:55

Royalee
Alan Partridge
URZZZZZZZZ
Alan Partridge I bet all the ones who are saying Long should start haven't seen the reserves this season or went to the Darlington cup game?

Aslo love how Lita is getting stick despite having NO service, having to do a lot of Kitson's work and also being marked by the England captain, only Reading fans eh!! :lol: :roll:

I'm all for strikers being paid to score, Lita has scored one Premiership goal in 7. I am usually an optimist, but think where we would be if we had a free scoring striker.

Doyle only has 3 including a penalty :wink:

Harder to score a penalty against Van Der Sar than the sitter Lita missed against Wigan.

Of course it is.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Oct 2006 12:55

Ian Royal
Alan Partridge
Ian Royal
Royalee
Alan Partridge
NTRoyal Thought Lita was much better than Doyle last night.

Was a shame because a fully fit Doyle may have given them a few more problems.

The partnership doesn't really work, and it wouldn't work with Long in there either, all 3 are under 6ft and there is no different option.

We needed another forward, didn't get one so we have to make do.

Lita and Doyle until Kitson is back it's as simple as that.

You honestly think Long will get pushed off the ball as easily as Lita did yesterday? It was like a man against a boy at times when a Chelsea defender was up against him. At least Doyle stood his ground, got us some free kicks and managed to hold them off to get a shot on goal.

What are you on!? Lita is much stronger on the ball than Long, the only thing that lets him down a little is his first touch and Long's is hardly much better. He is getting no service and working in a partnership that doesn't work. He isn't the sort that creates a chance from nothing like Doyle.

The partnership isn't ideal, but it is very firmly the best we have available.

You'll have to stop soon IR, speaking far too much sense for this board. :lol:

I do that sometimes. Then just as I'm getting big headed someone who isn't a total oxf*rd tells me I'm talking complete drivel and looking back I have to agree.

Still better than Royalee who does it all the time.

LOL

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 15 Oct 2006 13:01

Can someone remind me of one thing that Long has done this season that makes you think he should start a Premiership game, because I've not seen a single piece of play that convinces me.

Like AP I'm not knocking him, I just don't think he is ready yet.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 Oct 2006 13:04

Alan Partridge
URZZZZZZZZ
Alan Partridge I bet all the ones who are saying Long should start haven't seen the reserves this season or went to the Darlington cup game?

Aslo love how Lita is getting stick despite having NO service, having to do a lot of Kitson's work and also being marked by the England captain, only Reading fans eh!! :lol: :roll:

I'm all for strikers being paid to score, Lita has scored one Premiership goal in 7. I am usually an optimist, but think where we would be if we had a free scoring striker.

Doyle only has 3 including a penalty :wink:

Granted, and I would welcome Kitson back from injury with open arms. Just think how well Doyle and Kitson played together, if we're doing so well without him, think how well we can do with him.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 15 Oct 2006 13:07

Having seen every game so far this season, I'm afraid I have yet to see any evidence that Lita can cut it in the Premiership. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Still can't believe anybody on this board - or indeed anybody in football - who thought Doyle/Lita would have been better than Kitson/Doyle.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Oct 2006 13:10

Im Spartacus Can someone remind me of one thing that Long has done this season that makes you think he should start a Premiership game, because I've not seen a single piece of play that convinces me.

Like AP I'm not knocking him, I just don't think he is ready yet.

He constantly comes on for Lita (notice how it's never Doyle who gets subbed) and holds the ball up well late on when we're struggling or holding on and he's an outlet. We improved at Wigan when he came on, same against Man City when they were beginning to have more of the play (e.g. the Doyle chance last minute) and against West Ham he would have scored but for Konchesky's desperate lunge.

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 15 Oct 2006 13:13

Completely agree Rother. I didn't much like him last season either. He hasn't lived up to his price tag and I don't think he ever will - and certainly not in the Prem. He goes nowhere against Prem defenders - and poor ones at that.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Oct 2006 14:02

Volvicanus Completely agree Rother. I didn't much like him last season either. He hasn't lived up to his price tag and I don't think he ever will - and certainly not in the Prem. He goes nowhere against Prem defenders - and poor ones at that.

How's the guide dog these days?

ferret

by ferret » 15 Oct 2006 14:07

It does seem that some people basicaly dont like the bloke(Lita) while golden boy Doyle can do no wrong.

On the day Doyle had about his worse ever game for us, even my dad whose no Lita fan was dissapointed when Lita came off. All I read today is people slagging off Lita(again)

Lets wait and see how Lita plays when he's playing with Kitson before we hang him out to dry shall we.

Btw Long was dreadful when he came on yesterday and people saying he should start insted of Lita are just blinkerd fools.

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 15 Oct 2006 14:14

ferret Lets wait and see how Lita plays when he's playing with Kitson before we hang him out to dry shall we.

But surely we've established this already! The Kitson Doyle partnership works better than Kitson/Lita. Why would we suddenly have to prove this again?

The trouble is that none of these strikers have yet proven that they are up to this level. Doyle has come the closest but Lita certainly hasn't and obviously Kitson hasn't either. We are very fortunate in that our whole squad can put in the odd goal here and there but I still think than come the transfer window we should be or will be looking for another striker to come in. Preferably a big Kitson like bloke.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Oct 2006 14:22

It can surely be no coincidence that with the right accent, Royalee sounds just like Riley.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Oct 2006 14:59

So, in summary...

Doyle hasn't proven himself at this level despite most pundits lauding praise on him.

Lita and Kitson work best even though Lita has one solitary tap-in and one decent performance to his name this season and Doyle is our top scorer.

Convey has done nothing this season and Hunt is far better, despite Convey leading our assists table.

Long hasn't done anything this season and shouldn't be given a chance because he hasn't scored more goals than Lita in his 10 minute substitute appearances and clearly isn't up to Premiership standard.

...I knew it was me who was the stupid one.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Oct 2006 15:01

Royalee So, in summary...

The first step on the road to recovery is the hardest, but well done.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Oct 2006 15:07

So, in summary...

Doyle hasn't proven himself at this level despite most pundits lauding praise on him.
Who the hell has said that?? No one
Lita and Kitson work best even though Lita has one solitary tap-in and one decent performance to his name this season and Doyle is our top scorer.
No one's said that either, only that Lita has worked well with Kitson before and probably would do again, Kitson and Doyle works well as well. All everyone is saying that it's not all that fair to have a go at Lita when he hasn't had the big man alongside him at all.
Convey has done nothing this season and Hunt is far better, despite Convey leading our assists table.
Of course again you've worded it to your advantage, either that or you've missed the point entirely, probably both. Convey in terms of his overall performances has been one of the biggest let downs. Hunt has played in his absence and has played well and should keep his place, who saying Hunt is a better player?
Long hasn't done anything this season and shouldn't be given a chance because he hasn't scored more goals than Lita in his 10 minute substitute appearances and clearly isn't up to Premiership standard.
Who's said that? Lita is playing reasonably well still or as well as the circumstances have allowed like being marked by world class centre halves. Long is a very talented young player but in the chances he has had (Darlington in the cup, reserve team football) is yet to really show or is yet to prove without doubt he'd be a better option. 10minute cameo's mean nothing. If he plays well up at Liverpool then that would be staking a claim.
That can't be denied, Spot on.

The Brain

by The Brain » 15 Oct 2006 15:20

Methinks we ned another striker ASAP. If Doyle was out for yesterdays game they would we have started with Lita / Long? and who would be on the bench? Lita keeps trying to roll off players when he should be holding the bloody ball which is normally one of Kitsons strengths. I'm not knocking Lita, he needs to adjust. If Doyle does get a long term innjury then we really are in trouble. Get another striker.

reading_lad

by reading_lad » 15 Oct 2006 15:26

i can't understand why everyone is saying bad things about lita after the chelsea game. He played better than doyle IMO and yet everyone is saying lita is not up to it

Kitson and doyle is our best partnership, but at the moment doyle and lita is the best we have, and it is just unfortunate that it doesn't work as well as we hoped. Still, lita is a great asset in our strike force

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Oct 2006 15:42

Somebody earlier said that the ONLY thing wrong with Lita is his first touch.
Well,at this level you are nothing without a decent first touch.
You can get away with it at lower levels but not in the Premiership.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 15 Oct 2006 15:47

how much longer is kitson out for, he is badly missed upfront

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2006 15:55

The Brain Methinks we ned another striker ASAP. If Doyle was out for yesterdays game they would we have started with Lita / Long? and who would be on the bench? Lita keeps trying to roll off players when he should be holding the bloody ball which is normally one of Kitsons strengths. I'm not knocking Lita, he needs to adjust. If Doyle does get a long term innjury then we really are in trouble. Get another striker.

transfer window may be an issue.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Oct 2006 18:17

Alan Partridge So, in summary...

Who the hell has said that?? No one
No one's said that either, only that Lita has worked well with Kitson before and probably would do again, Kitson and Doyle works well as well. All everyone is saying that it's not all that fair to have a go at Lita when he hasn't had the big man alongside him at all.
Of course again you've worded it to your advantage, either that or you've missed the point entirely, probably both. Convey in terms of his overall performances has been one of the biggest let downs. Hunt has played in his absence and has played well and should keep his place, who saying Hunt is a better player?
Who's said that? Lita is playing reasonably well still or as well as the circumstances have allowed like being marked by world class centre halves. Long is a very talented young player but in the chances he has had (Darlington in the cup, reserve team football) is yet to really show or is yet to prove without doubt he'd be a better option. 10minute cameo's mean nothing. If he plays well up at Liverpool then that would be staking a claim.
That can't be denied, Spot on.

1. It's been mentioned in another thread today on these boards but I can't be bothered to find it.

2. I think you'll find that with Doyle and Kitson together, we have far more play in the attacking third, as opposed to either paired with Lita. This is because Kitson and Doyle do more work, hold onto the ball and link up better (and actually have a first touch).

3. LOL! Convey has done nothing, but he does indeed top our assists table. Right you are then Ian!

4. I've worded it in my favour? Hardly, I don't make up the facts! Convey doesn't run around like a headless chicken if that's why his overall performance (whatever you're defining that by if it isn't goals, assists and influence on results) is supposedly poor. Hunt did a Hughes for most of the game yesterday and kept coming inside, giving us no width until near the end. Also, according to most reports I have of the reserves and Darlington game, he was poor in those, which completely defeats your ridiculous reasoning as to why Long shouldn't be given a chance to start in a league game.

5. Yep, keep thinking that, you're always right - look at your amazing insights into Goater and Hughes and the like before they got sold at the first possible attempt and their careers faded into oblivion.

269 posts