Sidwell staying....?

Greenwich Royal

by Greenwich Royal » 10 Nov 2006 10:13

Steve Sidwell LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! My contract's up at the end of this season and I still want out of here. Offer Reading a few £million in January and I'm yours - don't wait till the summer when everyone else is after me. C'mon Arsene you know you want me back...
PS. In case you didn't know - I've got a family so I need to be paid at least £20k/week to look after them properly.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Nov 2006 10:22

soggy biscuit He thought he was too good for Reading in the summer

I hope you are joking. I don't think he said that.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 12:07

To be fair i think sidwells performances havent been to great with harper next to him this season.. I dont see what sidwell has done wrong to be fair. He is still a Reading player and if he has stated that his future lies with Reading then so be it. Stop moaning on about it. The lad has ambition good for him and so does every one of us. But if what he says is true then he will sign a new deal and a good move for us.. there is much more to come from sidders as long as he has a decent partner next to him in my opinion.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 10 Nov 2006 12:17

"At the moment sitting tight and not signing anything is the best thing for me to do. And every game is in front of a potential employer."

That doesn't sound like someone who is in any way bothered about RFC, to be honest.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 10 Nov 2006 12:20

I would not be bothered one bit if Sidwell left Reading. I suspect we will soon discover that he is entirely replaceable, and he will probably discover that he is not as in demand as he seems to think.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 10 Nov 2006 12:24

to be fair to sidwell has never stated that he has ever wanted to leave reading, just wants to be paid what he thinks he deserves which is fair enough

he said this a couple of weeks ago on reading world and it was posted on here before i believe

loyalest royalest

by loyalest royalest » 10 Nov 2006 13:36

Dodd me, but in The Times this morning, a tiny little article about Steve Sidwell said that he had said, "I need to keep performing well because every opponent is a potential future employer".

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 13:43

loyalest royalest Dodd me, but in The Times this morning, a tiny little article about Steve Sidwell said that he had said, "I need to keep performing well because every opponent is a potential future employer".

Well if he doesnt agree terms with Reading hes hardly going to drop into the championship or move abroad is he :roll: . Dont see to much wrong with his point here as he will be out of contract unless Reading and Sidwell agree terms. Think Sidwell is getting a lot of stick when he hasnt actually done anything wrong. If he wanted to leave he would say so with a transfer request etc...but he hasnt, he even said he sees Reading as his future maybe..so get off the blokes back jesus.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Nov 2006 13:45

loyalest royalest Dodd me, but in The Times this morning, a tiny little article about Steve Sidwell said that he had said, "I need to keep performing well because every opponent is a potential future employer".

Since you asked nicely

RIP

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Nov 2006 13:47

Dirk Gently Not to mention the fact that he realises that he's more likely to get another year or more as a prem players if he stays with us, rather than with the likes of Charlton and City.

Delusions of grandeur.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Nov 2006 16:27

Barry the bird boggler Non-story. He's always said the doors open and he's willing to talk to Reading.

As a damn good player coming towards the end of his current deal he's going to look for the best deal he can after all one tackle and his career could be over. He's in the driving seat and the club have to match whatever the going rate is in this division after all if you know you could get X+Y somewhere else for doing exactly the same job rather than just X with your current employer you're going to want to at least discuss it aren't you...

Depends whether your current employer has a record of treating you fairly and has done an awful lot to help you get to your current position.

Believe it or not there are still some loyal employees out there and it hasn't necessarily been detrimental to their careers. You need to look at the full picture and take a medium to longer term view of things, not just chase short term gain.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Nov 2006 16:37

soggy biscuit f**k him. He thought he was too good for Reading in the summer so why let him walk all over us now, accept a lesser bid from a lower division club and watch him play out the next season or 2 in League 1 for Crewe or someone.
Why would he agree to leave and join a lower league team?

Maybe Sidwell will now be willing to lower his wage demands but obviously isn't going to say that just in case Reading now decide to pay him more.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 10 Nov 2006 16:38

Sidwell's had a couple of off games recently but him and Sonks have been our best two players thus far, even Superman has had a couple of iffy performances of late. We've been playing the best sides in the country, 'we' being a Championship side still. I think if you swap Harper for a better defensive midfielder then Sidwell would shine, you can't look good every week when the players around you are struggling too. I'm praying that Sidwell signs because we won't get anyone in as good as him.

Reading Abbey

Re: Sidwell staying....?

by Reading Abbey » 10 Nov 2006 16:38

HighburyRoyale Steve Sidwell wants to sign a new Reading contract. (Daily Mirror)

Reported on the BBC. I'd sign him up like a flash. Slight blip in form or not.

Maybe he should get his arse in gear and remind us exactly why we would want to keep him here then?!

Mr Brightside
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mr Brightside » 10 Nov 2006 16:46

Don Finch I think if you swap Harper for a better defensive midfielder then Sidwell would shine, you can't look good every week when the players around you are struggling too.

Gunnarsson in the middle with Sidwell?

liamob

by liamob » 10 Nov 2006 16:52

i wish james harper would leave

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Nov 2006 17:00

With his current performances, I'd be offering him less a week than we did before the season started

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 10 Nov 2006 17:18

In his position I would do the same as he is confident in his ability to play for a top 5 club and now has to play well to attract the best teams and he could become very rich very quickly. He has not taken the opportunity to speak to other teams as he wants to concentrate on his game. He and Shorey and maybe Seol have been best for us so far.

Not my words by the way, but Steve Coppell's at the last fans forum. No loyalty, that Coppell!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Nov 2006 17:46

Bucks Dave In his position I would do the same as he is confident in his ability to play for a top 5 club and now has to play well to attract the best teams and he could become very rich very quickly. He has not taken the opportunity to speak to other teams as he wants to concentrate on his game. He and Shorey and maybe Seol have been best for us so far.

Not my words by the way, but Steve Coppell's at the last fans forum. No loyalty, that Coppell!

HE may be conident enough in his ability to play for a top 5 club but do YOU think he has that ability?
I think that only the likes of Charlton,City or West Ham might be interested of those teams above Watford and Sheff Utd in the bottom half mini-league and he has no chance of joining one of the top 5.

mzungu_royal

by mzungu_royal » 10 Nov 2006 17:47

Dear Mr Sidwell

I hope that you do sign a contract because we need you. our squad is on the bare bones as it is so don't make it any worse. if Man City does suit you then your a plonker for choosing to go to them. If Reading suits you good enough with all the up and coming facilities at the club and in the town then don't plan to go to Man City. Trust me on this one. Thanks for your co-operation Mr Sidwell and
sodding well stay
Thanks
mzungu_royal, member of Hobnob Anyone? The Reading FC Internet Fanzine.