Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Nov 2006 13:14

All Marcus is good for is free shirts. :wink:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Nov 2006 13:15

Squelchy2507 It doesn't seem to me that Marcus hast been playing as well this season, yet the stats don't really support that. The official ACTIM statistics, widely regarded as the most accurate reflection of a players performance, currently have Hahnemann as the 6th best goalkeeper in the Premiership - he was 5th before last Saturday.

So that doesn't suggest that he is a bad keeper. I think perhaps we just notice the mistakes more now because of the greater coverage and attention.

ACTIM means naff all most of the time. Marcus will collect points for routine shots straight at him. He has made some very good saves this season, he's done ok but some of the goals just shouldn't have happened.

Boro 2nd goal
Pompey 1st goal
Both Liverpool goals
Sheff Utd goal

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 10 Nov 2006 13:16

He spills a lot more than i remember him doing, but is this a result of more "skillful" shots with more spin/curve?

To be honest, my only problem with Hahnemann this season is his distribution, which is woeful (although he seemed to try something different last week.. actually rolling/throwing the ball to our fast wingers). We may start seeing an improvement in that now, i certainly hope so. Otherwise if i was coppell i'd be looking for a new first goal keeper..

Distribution from the back line, for me, is just as key as stopping shots. At the moment he's just inviting them back on us, it's not his job to get the ball up the pitch. Just to get it to a player who can do so.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 13:18

Squelchy2507 It doesn't seem to me that Marcus hast been playing as well this season, yet the stats don't really support that. The official ACTIM statistics, widely regarded as the most accurate reflection of a players performance, currently have Hahnemann as the 6th best goalkeeper in the Premiership - he was 5th before last Saturday.

So that doesn't suggest that he is a bad keeper. I think perhaps we just notice the mistakes more now because of the greater coverage and attention.

And the fact that our defence has offered zero protection to him.

The reason Hahnemann is 6th best keeper is because he has been the busiest. We have the worst home defensive record in the Premiership right now. Mainly due to Arsenal gunning us down.

As he has been so busy, and has statistically had more to do, he has made more saves, more mistakes, more spills and conceded more goals. This is the law of averages. If you create more chances and have more shots on goal, you will score more goals. Works the same at the other end.

My question is, would other keepers fair better if they had to endure the same pressure as Hahnemann? And if so, which of those keepers would join us?

Keepers like Reina have nothing to do compared to Hahnemann, but I would much rather have Hahnemann in goal than Reina. Reina makes the most shocking errors!
Last edited by Top Flight on 10 Nov 2006 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

Re: Marcus Hahnemann

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 13:19

LoyalRoyal22
Coppell's Right Footed 11 After a brief chat with my brother he feels Hahnemann is an excellent goalkeeper however i feel strongly against and feel he is pretty terrible.

Im going to have a look at his pros:

Good Shotstopper
Strong Physically and wins most crosses
Good rappor with the fans
Fantastic Championship Goalie

Against:

Kicking is awful, kicks it out of play half the time
Distribution again is woeful, and this goes in with awareness. why he continues to kick it instead of rolling it out like every other keeper and resulting in losing possesion baffles me each week.
With better players in the prem i feel he is much more clumsy due to the different shots being used compared to the championship and he spills more than a baby on its napkin. I.e Kuyts goal on sat, and Yakubu on opening day.
Last criticism is his positioning. I feel he really is the a close second behind harper on the headless chicken syndrome. I.e Hulse And Downings goals against us.

Hahnemann is a good championship goalie and did wonders for us last season, but i just feel that hes not quite the premiership standard but this is my opinion..

Views??

:lol: Dominates on crosses? no he doesnt, that is one of his week points. His communication with defence is poor aswell, not enough shouting.

To Be Fair Loyal Royal i didn't want to come across anymore than i already have on Hahnemann...He does tend to punch a lot more now aswell.

Im Hoping that Hahnemann will learn from his previous mistakes, but i definately think a new goalie is a priority. For instance Wigan and West Ham and Sunderland all had new goalies for their first games in the prem, Pollitt, Carroll and Davis.. Now Kirkland, Green so i think its definately a key area to start looking at in january

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Nov 2006 13:20

Top Flight

And the fact that our defence has offered zero protection to him.

The reason Hahnemann is 6th best keeper is because he has been the busiest. We have the worst home defensive record in the Premiership right now. Mainly due to Arsenal gunning us down.

As he has been so busy, and has statistically had more to do, he has made more saves, more mistakes, more spills and conceded more goals. This is the law of averages. If you create more chances and have more shots on goal, you will score more goals. Works the same at the other end.

My question is, would other keepers fair better if they had to endure the same pressure as Hahnemann? And if so, which of those keepers would join us?

You make it sound as if Marcus has had to make 4 or 5 worldie saves a game, which isn't the case, on the contrary there has been many a game where Marcus has rarely had much to do.

How many shots forcing difficult saves did Man City, Sheffield Utd, even Man Utd and Chelsea have? Not all that many. I can only remember 3 real chances for Liverpool, the 2 goals and then one where it was ganced on and Marcus turned it away.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 10 Nov 2006 13:23

Royalee Hahnemann's been quality for us over the years, but this season he's been nothing short of crap unfortunately.

A trifle harsh????! :shock:

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 10 Nov 2006 13:24

Top Flight And the fact that our defence has offered zero protection to him.

Keepers like Reina have nothing to do compared to Hahnemann, but I would much rather have Hahnemann in goal than Reina. Reina makes the most shocking errors!

Totally agree with you Top Flight. He has been over-worked and that will inevitably result in more mistakes.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 13:25

Squelchy2507
Top Flight And the fact that our defence has offered zero protection to him.

Totally agree with you Top Flight. He has been over-worked and that will inevitably result in more mistakes.

Least Reina actually rolls the ball out and doesnt invite pressure like hahnemann does with his kicking

Royalphil

by Royalphil » 10 Nov 2006 13:27

zac naloen He spills a lot more than i remember him doing, but is this a result of more "skillful" shots with more spin/curve?

To be honest, my only problem with Hahnemann this season is his distribution, which is woeful (although he seemed to try something different last week.. actually rolling/throwing the ball to our fast wingers). We may start seeing an improvement in that now, i certainly hope so. Otherwise if i was coppell i'd be looking for a new first goal keeper..

Distribution from the back line, for me, is just as key as stopping shots. At the moment he's just inviting them back on us, it's not his job to get the ball up the pitch. Just to get it to a player who can do so.

Absolutely spot-on post...
Mistakes I can take, we are all human, but poor decision making in distribution is unforgivable and something that can be easily sorted... come on Marcus, less of the kicking!!!!
:evil: :evil:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 13:31

I think part of the reason Hahnemanns distribution has been poorer this season is due to the lack of availability of key players that he used to launch the ball out to last season. Little, Murty and Convey. These three whenever Hahnemann had the ball would sense a counter attacking opportunity and immediately sprint into wide areas, making themselves available, getting there quickly usually in yards of open space and Hahnemann could easily find them.

This season Seol has been static, Murty has missed games as has Convey and Little has only started 1 Premiership game. Hahnemanns mindset hasn't changed but no one is making themselves available for Hahnemann to easily pick them out.

I think if Convey, Little and Murty all started, Hahnemanns distribution would be immediately alot better. Those players always spring forward and get available in wide areas the moment hahnemann has the ball. Seol just stands around and defenders are always too close for Hahnemann to pick him out accurately.

Until Convey, Little and Murty are all playing maybe Hahnemann should roll the ball out. But maybe he is under instruction to launch the ball out quickly and set us on the counter attack. Maybe Seol, Hunt and whoever plays at Right back, Gunnarsson are making it difficult for Hahnemann to pick them out with his distribution.

I know I am about to receive some abuse now and arguments that balls go into row z of the East Stand etc.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 10 Nov 2006 13:31

Ken Dodd's downcast dog is in dire danger of expiring under the pressure of this thread.

In fact there he goes now, along with his owner.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Nov 2006 13:48

Irvinchangeyaname
Royalee Hahnemann's been quality for us over the years, but this season he's been nothing short of crap unfortunately.

Not when you compare his performances to what he's shown he's capable of in the past. Don't get me wrong, he's been absolutely awesome for us in the last few years, but this season his distribution has been absolutely shocking and he's made a lot of errors.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 10 Nov 2006 14:23

Royalee
Irvinchangeyaname

Not when you compare his performances to what he's shown he's capable of in the past. Don't get me wrong, he's been absolutely awesome for us in the last few years, but this season his distribution has been absolutely shocking and he's made a lot of errors.

Agreed his distribution has been poor, do check out what it was like last year too though. His kicking upfield has always been bad, but didnt get noticed that much last season as more of his distribution was to the defence and midfield rather than the big boot up front.

I doubt very much he boots it up field through choice, this tactic is probably used because either Coppell has told him to or he doesnt have the short option. It is more than likely the first reason, possibly because Coppell realises that it is going to be far more difficult to play our way through Premiership teams than it was through the very average championship teams of last season.

As for his mistakes... premiership football is a step up in class and yes he has made more mistakes than last season but a) he has had more to do and b) everyone has made more mistakes.

Personally I would be more worried about how many shots that we have actually had on goal not by a few extra errors from our goalkeeper.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Nov 2006 14:27

I agree it wasn't at its best last season and good spot, but I think it's got worse yet again this season, although it was probably masked more last season because he was pulling off some quality saves and the team were top of the league.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 10 Nov 2006 14:32

Couldn't understand why Stack has been loaned out. Maybe Coppell does have plans to get another keeper in January?

I like Marcus, and I agree he hasn't been given a great deal of protection recently, but there's this nagging suspicion he's not quite up to prem level.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2006 15:06

Top Flight I think part of the reason Hahnemanns distribution has been poorer this season is due to the lack of availability of key players etc etc etc

I know I am about to receive some abuse now and arguments that balls go into row z of the East Stand etc.

I agree with the point about less options but I think thats more down the quality of the opposition, and the threat they pose if we lose it closer to our own goal, than just Murty, Convey and Little not being in the team.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 10 Nov 2006 15:11

rotherwick_royal Couldn't understand why Stack has been loaned out. Maybe Coppell does have plans to get another keeper in January?

I like Marcus, and I agree he hasn't been given a great deal of protection recently, but there's this nagging suspicion he's not quite up to prem level.

You may be right and he might not quite be up to this standard but I would prefer him to a few of other keeper in the Premiership (Riena, Carroll, Paddy 'Ive been dropped by Ireland because I'm shit' Kelly and Weaver).

As for Stack!!!! I have always been behind Coppell with every single signing and he has been spot on more often than not, but this one. I couldnt work out why he signed him at the time as I had never rated him and from seeing his limited appearances he has had, mainly in the cup, he really is dreadful. He isnt a good shot stopper, his positional position is poor and he is more than just a little suspect at crosses (useless). Had a great debut for Leeds though :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 17:42

I think we signed Stacky on the basis of his outstanding performance while on loan to Millwall one year which resulted in the hooligans taking all three points against us.

During that game Stacky made three top drawer saves to keep us out before Danny Dichio scored a late header to win the points for the Sarf London thugs.

Anyone seeing that game would have been more than impressed with Stacky. I know I was and I remember thinking that if it wasn't for that barst*rd of an Arsenal keeper we would have won that game in the Dragons den!

aardvark

by aardvark » 10 Nov 2006 17:48

I think he's made a few mistakes this season. Is Simon Shephard still available?