We need Convey back

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Dec 2006 22:35

Are you here all week?

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 23 Dec 2006 22:41

My Brentford mate cannot believe that Hunty is playing prem football, and i'm inclined to agree withi him. Great squad player, never moans when on the bench, 100% trier, effective coming off the bench (to either shore up the defence when in the lead or put pressure on when we are behind) and also fairly versatile.

However, for the rigid 442 that God likes to play, two very good wingers are needed and when Bobby comes back we'll have that. unitl then i think I'd play Seol left wing and Lita up front with Glenn on the right and Oster and Hunty on the bench.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 23 Dec 2006 22:44

Oster on the left, please. Need someone who can put a better ball in. Let Hunt play against Chelsea, though.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Dec 2006 22:56

Denver Royal Is this the same Convey who, when last seen, was 'in over his head and out of his depth' ? :P

TBH, we have a small squad and I think its showing, because to me we are starting to look tired. That doesn't bode well with all the holiday fixtures coming up. The January window can't come soon enough, but will we do anything when it does? :?

Yep, the same Convey who was leading our assists at the point which he got injured and for some time after. Well out of his depth. :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Dec 2006 00:35

Convey has been pretty miuch awful in every game he's played in the Prem.

Hunt was one of our better players today and has been pretty good for us this season.

Hunt so far has proven himself 200 times more than Convey has at this level.

Convey, I hope, has potential though.

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 24 Dec 2006 01:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup Convey has been pretty miuch awful in every game he's played in the Prem.

Hunt was one of our better players today and has been pretty good for us this season.

Hunt was Rubbish today, lost the ball countless times. He tries hard but really doesn't have the quality needed, he's a winger, he's supposed to create chances by putting the ball into the box with dangerous crosses, give me one example of dangerous Hunt cross today.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Dec 2006 02:01

2 world wars, 1 world cup Convey has been pretty miuch awful in every game he's played in the Prem.

Rubbish.

*edit because I can finally be bothered to respond in more than one word*

If Convey was awful in every game at the beginning of the season, would he have played the sort of ball into Doyle for his Sheffield United goal? It's funny how we could take corners at the beginning of the season and he was also leading the assists table.

Sorry, you're right, Hunt has done far better, proven himself to be an outstanding Premiership player and far better than Convey at this level. :roll:

Hunt is Mr Woof in disguise with his keepy uppy aimless running.
Last edited by Royalee on 24 Dec 2006 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Bracknell RFC

by Bracknell RFC » 24 Dec 2006 02:03

Hunt is league 1 standard, not bad but nowhere near prem quality. Worth a place for workrate but sadly lacking in talent.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 24 Dec 2006 08:36

savage 4 england Oster on the left, please. Need someone who can put a better ball in. Let Hunt play against Chelsea, though.

I'd say Oster or Convey. Covney of course hasn't played brilliantly this season, but he can deliver the style of play that our strategy demands at that position, and can hopefully bounce back to regular form.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Dec 2006 09:11

Royalee ...But Convey's not the same player and Hunt runs around a lot!

So? I could run around alot, and quicker. Hes shit.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 24 Dec 2006 09:15

I think I know why Bobby isn't playing well. According to the NOTW, first with all the news, he is blind in one eye :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Dec 2006 11:33

LoyalRoyal22
Royalee ...But Convey's not the same player and Hunt runs around a lot!

So? I could run around alot, and quicker. Hes shit.

Perhaps I should have left a wink in there - I was being sarcastic. Anyone can run around a lot, but he has zero intelligence off the ball, gives Shorey no options and no quality when he receives it.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Dec 2006 14:42

Royalee

Rubbish.

If Convey was awful in every game at the beginning of the season, would he have played the sort of ball into Doyle for his Sheffield United goal? It's funny how we could take corners at the beginning of the season and he was also leading the assists table.

Sorry, you're right, Hunt has done far better, proven himself to be an outstanding Premiership player and far better than Convey at this level. :roll:

Sarcasm - the mature and effective way to argue a point! ;)

Yeah you may be right I might be forgetting some of Convey's earlier crosses etc. but I thought he was largely ineffective, from memory. Hunt however had some good games and has set up a few goals. Convey may not be as bad as I say and Hunt may not be as great but one thing is for sure - it's six of one and half a dozen of the other at the moment: Convey has largely been a huge disappointment and Hunt also has his critics - the new Hughes.

Therefore althought I respect the opinion, I disagree with the notion that we "need Convey".

Our problems at the moment are not down to one player, or lack of, in my humble opinion.

International Royal

by International Royal » 24 Dec 2006 15:05

Hunt has done well but is a squad player at best. Convoy is far better and is missed badly. The 2 flanks are Reading's greatest threat, that's Little & Murty on the right and Convey & Shorey on the left. Seol, Oster and Hunt are squad players who can come on with 15 or 20 mins to go.

Hunt has done his best, no question. He always gives 100%, no question. But there is a very poor first touch, gives away possesion cheaply and he has little in the way of end product.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 24 Dec 2006 16:12

All agreed then... Convey is a better player than Hunt...we knew that as he go picked ahead of him last season.

All agree then ...bar a few crosses Convey has been fairly poor in the Premiership games he has started - bit much like Lita.

All agreed when Bobby is 100% fit he is awesome at championship level but much like Lita, hasnt done it yet in the premiership.

All agreed...Hunt gives you 100% each game and that is more than a lot of players have given in some games this season.

The obvious 'ideal senario' would be Doyle and Kits up front (Lita to come on if needed). And perm two from three out of Little, Convey and Seol on the wings with the hard working Oster and Hunt on the bench.

Strikes me that that is exactly what we did last season (not accounting for Seol)... we all know what our best team is and how we would like to play as we did it for a season pretty damn well.

I don't see the point of a 'we ned Convey back' or 'we need Kitson back' thread. It may just as well read 'we need Henry, Ronaldo and John Terry'.

doylefan

by doylefan » 24 Dec 2006 16:30

savage 4 england Oster on the left, please. Need someone who can put a better ball in. Let Hunt play against Chelsea, though.

I cant wait for Convey to come back!! but i agree until then, give Oster a go on the left - he's played everywhere else in midfield and seemed to play better yesterday there then he did the week before. One thing with Convey being out, is that Hunt's corners arent great and we need someone who can put them into the box. No disrespect to Hunt though, who has been there when we have needed him, just like last year when Convey was out for a couple of games or when he came on as a sub.

But yesterdau, Hunt didnt seem really with it, he put in a few good crosses, but not how he has been in previous games (maybe becasue chelsea game is coming up). I think start Hunt on boxing day and bring Oster on to play on the left later on! When Convey's fit play him with Hunt and Oster as cover. Although would love to see Little and Oster both playing on the wings in the same game again at some point -seems to work.

would like to see Lita play against chelsea though, with Seol on the bench

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Dec 2006 18:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Royalee

Rubbish.

Sarcasm - the mature and effective way to argue a point! ;)

Yeah you may be right I might be forgetting some of Convey's earlier crosses etc. but I thought he was largely ineffective, from memory. Hunt however had some good games and has set up a few goals. Convey may not be as bad as I say and Hunt may not be as great but one thing is for sure - it's six of one and half a dozen of the other at the moment: Convey has largely been a huge disappointment and Hunt also has his critics - the new Hughes.

Therefore althought I respect the opinion, I disagree with the notion that we "need Convey".

Our problems at the moment are not down to one player, or lack of, in my humble opinion.

I would agree that our problems aren't down to one player as I think our team has several weaklinks at the moment. However, Hunt isn't creating anywhere near enough and he also isn't showing for Shorey, which makes a huge difference. Convey always gives Shorey an option to pass to and it means Shorey can push forward, link with him and attack a hell of a lot more. His poor positional play also puts extra pressure on the likes of Sidwell and Harper (even though he's been nothing short of dreadful recently too).

In my opinion, the problems are:

1. Hahnemann's distribution or lack there of.
2. Ingimarsson up against Strong, quick or intelligent strikers of a substantially higher quality than the Championship.
3. Harper's weakness and inability to win headers or tackles and his constant backing off.
4. Hunt's general lack of quality and movement.
5. An obvious lack of a decent partner for Doyle who performs week in, week out.

...And also an even bigger lack of depth in that we've still been exceptionally lucky with injuries compared to the likes of Sheffield United and Fulham among others. I'd love to see what sort of side we'd put out with five or six regulars injured.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 24 Dec 2006 19:04

E. Andrew

I'd say Oster or Convey. Covney of course hasn't played brilliantly this season, but he can deliver the style of play that our strategy demands at that position, and can hopefully bounce back to regular form.

I meant putting Oster until Convey is 100% fit.

I don't think we should rush Convey back.

by 9165 » 24 Dec 2006 22:09

Come in Jonny Hayes, your time has come !

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 25 Dec 2006 09:55

So what will the team be on Boxing Day next year?

How about:

Hahneman

Shorey
AN Other1
Sonko
AN Other2

Convey
AN Other3
Sidwell
Little

Doyle
AN Other4