Team 'Strenghtening'...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Mar 2007 10:42

Gordons Cumming
Wycombe Royal
Gordons Cumming Strengthening also depends on who leaves and I don't think Sidwell will be the only one. :shock:

It doesn't take Einstein to work that one out. I'm sure a some of the academy and reserve players will be moving on like they do almost every summer.

Thanks

No problem.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 07 Mar 2007 11:52

For the summer i think that transfer activity should concentrate on the following:

- We have a number of CB's suddenly, but IMO Sodje is not good enough and will go and im not sure we'll take up the offer with Mate. I would look at another CB- eg Barnett or revive the Mensah deal, especially if we dont agree terms with Bikey (who i think we should sign).

- Left Back im not too concerned with- i think Goldbourne could step up next season if Shorey is injured. Right Back- DLC is worth another year and Halls will go. In mind mind I see Halford as the long term replacement for Murty so no need for players in this position.

- Centre Mid: The Sidwell scenario seems to be shifting towards him not staying around. If this is the case we need to replace him with a player of the same quality- this may mean having to shell out a bit but its an important area. Gunnarson and Oster can provide the cover, with Halford also able to fill in so nothing extra needed unless Sidwell goes. I would say though that we need some younger players in that position from the academy ready to challenge....

- Wingers: We have a number now at the club, though with Little getting older i think we should look at getting in a younger version of him in to challenge for the Right Wing spot with Seol as well.

- Strikers: I am pretty happy with the 4 strikers, though with Kitson's history of injuries and Longs relative inexperience ( i still think a spell on loan wouldnt harm him) i think Coppell should cast an eye over another potential forward- a target man if there is one around.

- Goalkeeper: I am still not convinced with Federici, and Andersson looks more one for the future but not yet- we need another experienced 2nd choice goalie.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Team 'Strenghtening'...

by AbovetheI » 07 Mar 2007 11:55

Wigan - Baines
West Ham - Ashton
Charlton - Ambrose
Watford - Henderson 8)
Sheff Utd - Jagielka

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2007 12:06

AbovetheI Wigan - Baines
West Ham - Ashton
Charlton - Ambrose
Watford - Henderson 8)
Sheff Utd - Jagielka

I think you're just being silly.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Mar 2007 12:19

Looking at that Bosman XI, Ben Haim would be a VERY good acquisition. In general ...

Goalkeeper

Cover/competition for Marcus, if it is decided A. Fed isn't ready yet. If we can get someone better than Marcus, then I would go for it - wages, cost being very limiting factors there.

Defence - Full Backs

Shorey may need more competition - cannot see Golbourne being good enough yet.

Murty and De La Cruz certainly need someone behind them - not sure where Halford comes in.

Defence - Central

I'll be honest. I don't think our cover centre backs are players we should have to rely on if we can avoid it. We have several but how many really instill confidence? So a big one and a clever one please.

I'll admit - not seen Duberry or Bennett play so if either fulfils the role, good.

Midfield - Wide

Left wing depends on Convey's return.

Right wing ... can Little keep it up? Will Seol improve his consistency?

I think right wing is somewhere we need to think about but it depends on cost and availability and Halford's role in the club.

Midfield - Central

Someone to replace Sidwell

Someone with a few years experience of defensive midfield in the Prem but also fits in the team ethic. Would be priced out of this, I fear. Last season, Butt would have been perfect but EVERYTHING would have been a problem.

Forwards

A big tough attacking player to cover/compete Kitson. Hulse at Sheffield United.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 07 Mar 2007 12:50

leon
readingbedding Alex Pearce has gone to the Cobblers on loan.

He can't have deteriorated that badly can he?

He's back at the weekend unless the loan is extended.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 07 Mar 2007 15:47

See I think Halford is here to replace Sidwell. That's where he plays a lot in the reserves. So in that case, we need someone to replace Murty, eventually.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Mar 2007 15:59

lozz2601 See I think Halford is here to replace Sidwell. That's where he plays a lot in the reserves. So in that case, we need someone to replace Murty, eventually.

I think that Halford will prove to be the new Gunnarsson, although hopefully better (not meant as a slight to Boris, either). I read somewhere that Halford thinks his best position is central midfield, but he has also played on the wing, at centre back and at right back. Just like Boris. As our record signing, I hope that we'll play him in his strongest position (whatever the caoching staff decide that to be), but he's clearly going to be able to cover gaps elsewhere on the field if necessary.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Mar 2007 21:25

Most of these have been mentioned at some point before but for what it's worth, I'm trying to be realistic in our signings, so there's my excuse for looking at who's at the bottom of the Premiership.

Goalkeepers - Marcus isn't getting any better, Stack is crap, Federici has potential but isn't ready for regular first team football and Andersen is young. I'd go for Myhill. Would cost less than £2m and be an excellent deal at that price.

Full backs. Offer De La Cruz another year as he now seems to be up to speed and loan out Goldbourne again. If Halford's future is in midfield, I'd look for a long term replacement at right back. If nothing else, it gives us another year to search for that unknown gem.

Centre backs - Sonks, Ivar and Bennett are the obvious three and Pearce looks one for the future. Duberry is a short term signing and Sodje isn't up to it IMO. Bikey has shown potential at this level and is maybe worth signing permenantly. I'd go for Gabbidon or Collins at West Ham though. We could probably get either at £2m.

Wingers - Hunt and Convey are ok on the left, likewise Little an Seol on the right. Oster can cover and and James Henry might get his chance next season. Not positions we have to worry about too much in the short term

Central Midfield - With or without Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Oster and Halford are good enough but we need another signing. Someone like Darren Ambrose perhaps.

Forwards - we have a decent mix up front but no cover for Kitson. I believe Kevin Davies is out of contract at the end of the season. Not prolific but an excellent target man. WCBAP but not unsumountable.

Reckon we could get Myhill, Collins or Gabbidon, Ambrose and Davies for £6m and none strike me as being big time charlies so would fit into the clubs ethos.

Knowing Coppell though he's probably got three or four signings lined up that no-ones thought of who are all a class act and cost tuppence.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 07 Mar 2007 23:13

Gordons Cumming
AbovetheI Wigan - Baines
West Ham - Ashton
Charlton - Ambrose
Watford - Henderson 8)
Sheff Utd - Jagielka

I think you're just being silly.

I know I know. Darius Henderson, we haven't got £10million.

Fezza

by Fezza » 07 Mar 2007 23:18

I'd like us to get in a quality left winger to match the "White Pele" for me Convey and Hunt just don't have the skill when it comes to crossing.

In terms of defence I expect SC to look to cover/replace Inga (don't get me wrong he has been fantastic this season) with someone who has a bit more pace and skill on the ball. I'd like us to get some cover for Murts assuming Halford moves into the centre. If we can sell Duberry and Sodje and get Bikey in I'd be over the moon.

With the Central midfield I'd love us to get someone a bit more creative than Harper (will Henry come through?) and maybe a Sissoko esc sort of wrecking ball (maybe that Fae chap???).

Up front I'd like a bit more experience and height to challenge Kitson and allow Long to be loaned out to the Championship.

If we get into Europe we'll need a large number of squad players to come in (say 3 or 4 new faces), if not the current squad size is fine.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Mar 2007 00:29

In my dream world...

In:

Carson, Luke Young, Barnes, Bendtner, Sidwell

Out:

Stack, Halls, Duberry, Seol, Sodje, De La Cruz,

Loaned out to Championship:

Pearce, A-Fed, Long, Cox, Henry, Hayes

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 08 Mar 2007 06:21

Get Alan Smith from Man Ure

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 08 Mar 2007 09:17

In:

Carson, Luke Young, Barnes, Bendtner, Sidwell

:?
Bentner wouldn't be a bad call, btw.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2007 09:32

id take jagielka off colin

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 08 Mar 2007 09:33

I think any Sheffield United players would have been easier to get had they been relegated.

Darren Ambrose at Charlton is a very underrated player that we could get though.

kirkrich

by kirkrich » 08 Mar 2007 12:10

Having never seen Halford play and knowing v little about him, where is his natural position?

aaronrfc

by aaronrfc » 08 Mar 2007 12:53

kirkrich Having never seen Halford play and knowing v little about him, where is his natural position?

he has played most of his games as a right back, but hasnt played there at all for the reserves yet. so what SSC has got in mind, we'll just have to wait and see
HTH

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Mar 2007 13:01

papereyes I think any Sheffield United players would have been easier to get had they been relegated.

There is still time................ :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2007 13:03

aaronrfc
kirkrich Having never seen Halford play and knowing v little about him, where is his natural position?

he has played most of his games as a right back, but hasnt played there at all for the reserves yet. so what SSC has got in mind, we'll just have to wait and see
HTH

Apart from the first 45 against Chelsea.

His natural position is a little uncertain as Colchester moved him about quite a bit. Right back was the position he played most of his games in though and I'm still undecided if I think Coppell is looking at him as a midfielder or he's just played there out of convenience for the Reserves.

When Halford signed he said he expected to have to wait for a place in the side because the right back was captain and playing really well. I think that might be a hint at where he expected to be challenging but it doesn't mean that's how Coppell see's things.

As for the rest of the squad I'd still like to see a keeper, a left back, a centre half, a winger and a forward join with the likes of Halls, De La Cruz, Sodje and Stack leaving and hopefully a few decent loan deals for the promising youngsters.

Obviously there is a need to replace Sidwell on top of that little list too!