Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Apr 2007 18:08

londinium
AthleticoSpizz yes

why stand?

the seats are comfortable.....this aint Loftus Road...after all

its just about kids who never experienced standing in the Southbank January 1974 imho.

damp, smelly, over-run with opposition fans, no facilities (other than the "Police meat wagon (Bedford RL)" parked right by the South Bank entrance)

Smelly smell of damp whitleyite with bad tooth breath

The odd one or two "hard men" goading the opposition fans..................then running to find a safe haven and solstice behind the kids and dads

Nicotine stained parkas and damp raincoats

Narizz Fizz

power cuts....football being played on a Sunday before the sun went down

Percy Freeman :wink:

Seats?

Elm Park 1973-1980

you never had it so good :roll: them were the days

two minutes applause for the "living instead of the dead" would be nice.

Can I have some Brownie points please... I am Mr Super Loyal Fan.

I keep telling my kids that, and that we should send letters that take 1 day to reach the destination rather than an email that takes 1 second. I tell them that they should spend an hour and go upto the library to check out a fact rather than spend 1 minute on the P.C.
Colour telly kids... ridiculous, black and white is what you want to watch!
And while you are at it kids go and get that film developed from the camera rather than download them straight from the memory card.

Tonight I must tell my kids to go to bed with no dinner as they are not worthy fans like yourself as they have only been supporing Reading since 1995 and 1997 respectively (the days they were born) -Bloody Plastics.

How dare my kids be so young!!

So, have I got this right?

Whilst your kids send E- Mails rather than right letters and probably haven't seen a black & white TV, let alone watched one, they struggle with the concept of sitting in a modern all seater stadium and prefer the old fashioned way of watching footy on their feet.....................do they still sell fountain pens, I wonder :?

knobby_1871

by knobby_1871 » 28 Apr 2007 20:02

murts_the_god
Forbury Lion
M4 Junction 11 ... would be impressive if the west stand joined in ocassionally :roll:
Why don't you encourage them to participate?

"Can you hear the West Stand sing?"

might hopefully get a response of

"We're the West side, We're the West side, We're the west side of the ground"

Oh and then actually give them a chance to sing and join in before singing over them with a completely different chant :roll:

if the west stand weren't so busy eating the prawn sandwiches they might sing a song or two, but ill give it to the south stand they are getting more vocal with each game shame they didnt come out of the shadows of the east stand a bit earlier in the season

prawn sandwiches ?? make it a balti pie please

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Apr 2007 00:41

lozz2601
AthleticoSpizz yes

why stand?

its just about kids who never experienced standing in the Southbank January 1974 imho.

damp, smelly, over-run with opposition fans, no facilities (other than the "Police meat wagon (Bedford RL)" parked right by the South Bank entrance)

The odd one or two "hard men" goading the opposition fans..................then running to find a safe haven and solstice behind the kids and dads

Narizz Fizz

Seats?

Elm Park 1973-1980

Seriously. :roll: Some people on here are like a broken record.
Times change.
times change...memories and fact can't be

now go strangle yourself with your own nappy

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Apr 2007 01:32

Narizz Fizz

now that actually sorts the "plastics" from the boys

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Apr 2007 03:14

AthleticoSpizz yes

why stand?

Narizz Fizz

Seats?

Elm Park 1973-1980

Fan/plastic debates aside...

I found your post entertaining.

I only wish I was there back then. The Southbank was magical enough in my time, but back in 1974 it sounds even more grimy.

Was it really the case that there was no segregation? I'd heard this before but never really digested it.

I bet loads of fights would break out? Must have been tense every game surely.

Would people generally migle or would there be distinct informal ends?

Oh to be there as a Reading fan in those non-sterile days...

jenster81

by jenster81 » 29 Apr 2007 09:21

Leave the f*cking West Stand alone for gods sake. been sat in the upper west since the stadium opened, i prefer it up there, full stop. i, as do many others get very passionate, we all shout and scream but it's not always about chanting or singing.

I'm with Mr Angry on this one, who sits behind me a little, there ain't nothing wrong with being a west stander

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 29 Apr 2007 10:17

jenster81 Leave the f*cking West Stand alone for gods sake. been sat in the upper west since the stadium opened, i prefer it up there, full stop. i, as do many others get very passionate, we all shout and scream but it's not always about chanting or singing.

I'm with Mr Angry on this one, who sits behind me a little, there ain't nothing wrong with being a west stander

true, im in the east stand but at the end of the day we are all fans.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Apr 2007 10:26

rg6royal
jenster81 Leave the f*cking West Stand alone for gods sake. been sat in the upper west since the stadium opened, i prefer it up there, full stop. i, as do many others get very passionate, we all shout and scream but it's not always about chanting or singing.

Agreed, we're all the same just some are quieter than others ;)

jenster81

by jenster81 » 29 Apr 2007 10:30

M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

Everyone shows their support in different ways, and even though me and the people around me get laughed at for the singing we do - everyone is passionate up there. Whats pisses me off more is the people who leave ten minutes before the end - and that isn't just a west stand trait - are those people more of fans if they sing?!?!

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 29 Apr 2007 10:35

jenster81
M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

Everyone shows their support in different ways, and even though me and the people around me get laughed at for the singing we do - everyone is passionate up there. Whats pisses me off more is the people who leave ten minutes before the end - and that isn't just a west stand trait - are those people more of fans if they sing?!?!

To be fair its way easier to get out of the west stand at the end of the game.

jenster81

by jenster81 » 29 Apr 2007 10:50

Royalshow
jenster81
M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

ermm... WHAT?!?!?!?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 29 Apr 2007 10:58

IHMO Those that do try and get things going in the west stand are more special. In a way its easier to be vocal in support of your team when everyone else around you is doing the same.

jenster81

by jenster81 » 29 Apr 2007 11:11

M4 Junction 11 IHMO Those that do try and get things going in the west stand are more special. In a way its easier to be vocal in support of your team when everyone else around you is doing the same.

thanks.... usually the only time i get called 'special' is when it is associated with the word 'needs'

:lol:

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 29 Apr 2007 11:27

jenster81
Royalshow
jenster81
M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

ermm... WHAT?!?!?!?

Due to the fact that the west stand is split into two levels means that their are twice as many gates compared with the North and the East.As a result it doesn't take as long to get out of the ground.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Apr 2007 11:43

Royalshow
jenster81
Royalshow
jenster81
M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

ermm... WHAT?!?!?!?

Due to the fact that the west stand is split into two levels means that their are twice as many gates compared with the North and the East.As a result it doesn't take as long to get out of the ground.
Whooosh!

East or West... only one way to decide this.... Let's have a Footy Match, East v West.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 29 Apr 2007 12:02

murts_the_god if the west stand weren't so busy eating the prawn sandwiches they might sing a song or two,

I sit in the West stand, so where are these prawn sandwiches sold then?

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 29 Apr 2007 12:06

i was sat in the upper west for 4 seasons and in that time i was told to sit down and laughed at when trying to start chants, got sick of the lack of atmosphere and moved to the east stand, im not saying all the west standers are like this but where i was sat they were just more concerned with picking faults with the team.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 29 Apr 2007 13:30

Royalshow Due to the fact that the west stand is split into two levels means that their are twice as many gates compared with the North and the East.As a result it doesn't take as long to get out of the ground.

If, at the end of a Reading match in the Premiership, all you are concerned about is how long it takes to leave the stadium, then you should give your oxf*rd season ticket to someone else.

jenster81

by jenster81 » 29 Apr 2007 17:33

Royalshow
jenster81
Royalshow
jenster81
M4 Junction 11
rg6royal

ermm... WHAT?!?!?!?

mate... what the firking hell you going on about!? this has nothing to do with how slowly or quickly it bloody takes to get out of the ground regardless of the flippin stand.

the point was, that people leaving early, piss me off more than the 'supposed' lack of atmosphere in the west stand - well upper west for me. although where i sit, the atmosphere is fine... cos i create it! :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2007 17:56

you upper west boys
always with the fighting talk