Coppell "I'm due a break"

183 posts
gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 05 Dec 2007 12:11

i think coppell will walk away at the end of his contract with us. he would have been here 5 1/2 years at the end of it and thats a long time in a job when the average time in a footballing job is just under 2 years now.

he is win win in every aspect
relegated this year he has the chance to get us promoted again
stay up and relegated the next year,time for a change anyway
stay up and stay up again he's taken us as far as possible

remember we can't begrudge coppell leaving, he has done amazing well for us, first ever premiership manager for reading

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Dec 2007 12:22

gazzer, loyal royal i think coppell will walk away at the end of his contract with us. he would have been here 5 1/2 years at the end of it and thats a long time in a job when the average time in a footballing job is just under 2 years now.

remember we can't begrudge coppell leaving, he has done amazing well for us, first ever premiership manager for reading

I agree entirely - it will happen at the end of his contract. If Coppell left now however I would be VERY upset. There is simply no-one who could replace him at this point in time.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Dec 2007 12:38

I think what we are seeing is what we suspected, and what we feared, based on Coppell's managerial history. That is, he's a good front-runner when everythings going well. But he's perhaps not the best man for a crises.

And its hard to see how he could consistently be a front runner, long term, in this division, at this club, with its (lack of) resources.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 05 Dec 2007 12:51

Denver Royal I think what we are seeing is what we suspected, and what we feared, based on Coppell's managerial history. That is, he's a good front-runner when everythings going well. But he's perhaps not the best man for a crises.

You have expressed a thought which I was struggling to suppress. I very much hope not, but I fear that we may be witnessing the first chinks in SC's armour. Everyone has them and it doesn't mean that he is a loser from now on. Support is what is needed in such circumstances. I would much prefer an honest but weaker Coppell to the blustering pseudo-strength of an Allardyce.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Dec 2007 12:54

brendywendy
Royalee
brendywendy with fans like ours no wonder no one wants to stick around

LOL, get over yourself.

get over your own good self

if i had walked off to the boos of my own fans after a very tough match in which we got a draw(and after two three years of unparalelled success) i would be looking for the first available bus out of reading.

copps says hes a bit tired-and its "well oxf*rd off then"
convey struggles back from injury and has one full game in his position and its "oxf*rd off then"
etc etc etc

Good job then that, unlike you, Coppell has been in the game long enough to know what it is all about, expects that sort of treatment and knows how to handle it. He has frequently talked about how he recognises that when things are going well people are going to be full of praise for him and that when things go wrong they're going to say he's shyte. (words to that effect anyway).

gazzer, loyal royal i think coppell will walk away at the end of his contract with us. he would have been here 5 1/2 years at the end of it and thats a long time in a job when the average time in a footballing job is just under 2 years now.

If we do get relegated this year (and Sir Steve will have to bear a lot of responsibility for that) I still reckon he's our best chance of doing what Boothroyd appears to be doing at Watford and bringing us straight back up again. That's unless it's all going very wrong in terms of relationships/player trust and confidence behind the scenes/closed doors and only the likes of Hammond will know that.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 05 Dec 2007 13:12

Denver Royal That is, he's a good front-runner when everythings going well. But he's perhaps not the best man for a crises.

In light of the hysterical calls for people to "fcuk off" and the general tone of unflinching derision aimed at SC and some of the squad whom people deem to have reached the end of their shelf-life, this is easily a phrase applicable to most contributors to this thread. Calm heads and level thinking are called for in a crisis and there's not much of that being exhibited here by the armchair managers...

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 05 Dec 2007 14:49

3 veesinarow
Denver Royal That is, he's a good front-runner when everythings going well. But he's perhaps not the best man for a crises.

In light of the hysterical calls for people to "fcuk off" and the general tone of unflinching derision aimed at SC and some of the squad whom people deem to have reached the end of their shelf-life, this is easily a phrase applicable to most contributors to this thread. Calm heads and level thinking are called for in a crisis and there's not much of that being exhibited here by the armchair managers...

Well spoken, 3v's. Best contribution to this thread.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Dec 2007 14:53

The armchair managers should be sacked.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Dec 2007 14:59

All I say on this, is bearing in mind the upcoming transfer window and relegation battle, as a fan I want to be sure the manager is 100% committed and I'm not.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 Dec 2007 15:04

SpaceCruiser The armchair managers should be sacked.
Yeah! They can fook off!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Dec 2007 15:05

Scarface All I say on this, is bearing in mind the upcoming transfer window and relegation battle, as a fan I want to be sure the manager is 100% committed and I'm not.

I thank God that you are not in charge of the hiring and firing process.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2007 15:31

Scarface All I say on this, is bearing in mind the upcoming transfer window and relegation battle, as a fan I want to be sure the manager is 100% committed and I'm not.

In that case you must have been in a horrible situation every transfer window since Coppell arrived, given that he's only ever had a one year contract......until now.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 05 Dec 2007 16:24

If he left now I have a horrible feeling we would all have to look at Ian Dowie's Goonies impression every other weekend.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Dec 2007 16:40

RoyalBlue
brendywendy
Royalee
brendywendy with fans like ours no wonder no one wants to stick around

LOL, get over yourself.

get over your own good self

if i had walked off to the boos of my own fans after a very tough match in which we got a draw(and after two three years of unparalelled success) i would be looking for the first available bus out of reading.

copps says hes a bit tired-and its "well oxf*rd off then"
convey struggles back from injury and has one full game in his position and its "oxf*rd off then"
etc etc etc

Good job then that, unlike you, Coppell has been in the game long enough to know what it is all about, expects that sort of treatment and knows how to handle it. He has frequently talked about how he recognises that when things are going well people are going to be full of praise for him and that when things go wrong they're going to say he's shyte. (words to that effect anyway).

personally it would make me think after all ive done for them, a few dodgy games and its boo this, and oxf*rd off that
ungratefull bastards, im off.

maybe thats why i never became a top class football manager

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Dec 2007 16:57

quote="Scarface"]All I say on this, is bearing in mind the upcoming transfer window and relegation battle, as a fan I want to be sure the manager is 100% committed and I'm not.[/quote]

Why aren't you 100% committed ?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 05 Dec 2007 16:57

brendywendy maybe thats why i never became a top class football manager

Yep, reckon thats about the only thing thats held you back, brendy :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Dec 2007 17:15

Denver Royal
brendywendy maybe thats why i never became a top class football manager

Yep, reckon thats about the only thing thats held you back, brendy :wink:

dya think?

that and my chronic marajuana habit
being shit at football
not knowing a whole lot about football
man management skills not the best
tactically naive

i could go on

but mainly my inability to take criticism

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Dec 2007 18:56

I think RFC should look to maybe use coppell in helping choose the next manager

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 06 Dec 2007 00:40

Denver Royal
Royal Lady If Copps goes and we got Pards or McGhee back, I wouldn't renew my season ticket.

Why not? Pards and McGhee are two of the best managers we've ever had.

You go back in our history and look at all the bad managers we've had - and boy, we have had some absolute crap - and yet nobody ever mentions those guys. Never.

Yet guys like Pards and McGhee - who we actually achieved some success with - get trashed all the time. They are at the top of our list of managers as far as getting the most criticism. Its very strange and very sad.

i will tell you why not because they bloody craped on us showed us no loyalty and walked out on us so thats why there is a lot of us who hates them if either came back to this club i would burn my season ticket :evil:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Dec 2007 10:00

readingtillidie
Denver Royal
Royal Lady If Copps goes and we got Pards or McGhee back, I wouldn't renew my season ticket.

Why not? Pards and McGhee are two of the best managers we've ever had.

You go back in our history and look at all the bad managers we've had - and boy, we have had some absolute crap - and yet nobody ever mentions those guys. Never.

Yet guys like Pards and McGhee - who we actually achieved some success with - get trashed all the time. They are at the top of our list of managers as far as getting the most criticism. Its very strange and very sad.

i will tell you why not because they bloody craped on us showed us no loyalty and walked out on us so thats why there is a lot of us who hates them if either came back to this club i would burn my season ticket :evil:

they didnt just walk out
they both left at the worst possible time and played big parts in us losing out on promotions/playoffs

183 posts