Funniest RFC Moment?

Berry

by Berry » 17 Dec 2007 14:29

Also Remember losing 6.1 to Palace at Elm Park, Pitch invasion and Uri Geller giving it "We all must have faith" Mantra. Someone behind me shouted"Fcuk Off Geller and bend some spoons" Classic moment.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 17 Dec 2007 14:32

Funniest sight for me was when Andy Gurney threw up on the pitch during a home game in August 98 or 99. Can't remember the opposition, but a short time afterwards, the ball was hit long towards our right back position (where Gurney had ralphed three minutes earlier) and the striker sliding in to try and stop Gurney's clearance. He slid straight through the puke.

By now, Gurney had run up field and the striker went jogging back, looking down as he did. He stopped where the puke was, looked at the back of his shirt, to see it covered in vomit. The look on his face was priceless!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 Dec 2007 14:55

Norfolk Royal
Schards#2 I remember some guy getting turfed out in the early '80's being carried past the southbank by two coppers with another one carrying the bloke's false leg behind them.

Don't think that was the early 80s. That was a league cup game against Southampton in around 1977/8. Was going to nominate that as my funniest moment, along with anything Ollie Kearns did.

It was indeed the League Cup game against the Best Team In The League (tm) in 78. There was a ruck in the corner between the Town End and the South Bank. Two coppers were desperately trying to yank some nutter out right at the front and you could almost here the pop from the Tilehurst End. Hilarious picture in the EP of plod hauling him away with a WPC carrying his artificial limb.

Other funny that springs to mind is the announcer at Port Vale trying to pronounce Dariusz Wdowczyk. Eventually gave up after "Widow-check" and declared "....well, Reading fans, you know who he is anyway." Top man.

Another one involving Our Polish International was at Pompey when Dariusz got the yellow card. Someone screamed "Spell that, you c*nt."

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 17 Dec 2007 15:45

A1ndy
Jerry St Clair An honourable mention for Barry Hunter taking pot shots at the CCTV camera above the away end at Oxford.

Funniest moment for me, was an away supporter (Cant remember the team) falling from the top of the away end to the bottom after gesturing to the east stand. I know it sounds really harsh, but dont taunt the east stand, and then go and do something like that.

Can anyone recall this and tell me who this was against?

i can remember this. the guy was a total idiot he was giving the v to the east stand from the top row then he slipped and fell all the way down the south stand steps. he had to be taken away on a stretcher and the east stand started chanting wa!&*r give us a wave wa!"£R wa!"£r give us a wave. its the funniest thing i have ever seen even though you feel bad for laughing
at the poor bloke he was in agony

it was against norwich i think we won 2-0
Last edited by readingtillidie on 20 Dec 2007 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 17 Dec 2007 16:42

On a random note, does anyone know why there were pirate flags up on the flagpoles when we played Liverpool, instead of the usual reading and england ones?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Dec 2007 17:33

Because there was a Pirate themed party at the Conference centre. Or something.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 17 Dec 2007 17:38

I dont know if anyone remembers this but in the early seventies we played Hartlepool on a wet Saturday afternoon and they had just two fans behind the Reading end.The funniest thing was that one of them got thrown out by the police for threatning the Reading fans on the south bank.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 17 Dec 2007 17:41

May have been mentioned, havent read the whole thread.

Ballboys at Brighton away in 2005. Hilarious chants aimed at yellow and red stool.

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 17 Dec 2007 17:42

show my age here but I think it was Ray Flanagan coming on as sub many years ago and getting his very seventies hair caught in the zip of his track suit.

Gazza getting the "he's fat and he beats his wife" chants.

Brian Kilcline getting the "Gypo, gypo where's your wife" as he stepped up to take a pen in the Simod semi.

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 17 Dec 2007 21:33

Kevin Doyles Right Foot On a random note, does anyone know why there were pirate flags up on the flagpoles when we played Liverpool, instead of the usual reading and england ones?

the players and partners party was after the game they had to dress as pirates there are pictures on official web site

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 13,00.html

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Dec 2007 22:15

readingtillidie
Kevin Doyles Right Foot On a random note, does anyone know why there were pirate flags up on the flagpoles when we played Liverpool, instead of the usual reading and england ones?

the players and partners party was after the game they had to dress as pirates there are pictures on official web site

Only half right : http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69543

Percy Freemans Thighs

by Percy Freemans Thighs » 17 Dec 2007 22:20

Last season away at Charlton with Carson in goal, somone behind us spent the whole half (oxymoron?) shouting "Carson, you're f**king useless", "Carson, it's all your fault" and "If Carson can play for England so can I" (last one to the tune of if you've got a big banana give it a wave).

However, the joke was on us cos it was obviously a time traveller back from the England Croatia match, sending out a warning. If only McClaren had listened more to Reading fans.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 17 Dec 2007 22:20

Y21_Royal
donface Simon Shepperd.

HTH

Bobby Mihaylov

HTH

Van Der Kwaak

HTH

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 17 Dec 2007 22:34

Dirk Gently
readingtillidie

Only half right : http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69543

sorry only trying to help :roll:

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 17 Dec 2007 22:39

Berry Also Remember losing 6.1 to Palace at Elm Park, Pitch invasion and Uri Geller giving it "We all must have faith" Mantra. Someone behind me shouted"Fcuk Off Geller and bend some spoons" Classic moment.

Very similar.
I shouted "Fu*k off Geller, you bender!". See what I did there? I'll get me coat.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2007 08:30

donface
Y21_Royal
donface Simon Shepperd.

HTH

Bobby Mihaylov

HTH

Have I stepped into a parallel universe where the Bulgarian international Borislav Mihailov is worse/funnier than the utterly inept Shepperd? The man who spawned Tshirts with I'VE SEEN SHEPPERD CATCH A BALL on them?

Del Boy Trotter was selling T shirts referring to our keeper?

Must surely have been him on account of the incorrectly spelt name!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 18 Dec 2007 16:46

I remember finding it hilarious when Percy Freeman missed the goal by about twenty yards and laid out an old man at the Tilehurst end, who had to be carried out on a stretcher. Not funny for the old man; but I was a kid at the time and Percy Freeman was my hero.

Percy was a tall, heavy, lumbering cross between Giant Haystacks and Freddie Starr who for me was a non-stop comic turn on the pitch: I couldn't take my eyes off him. He had massive presence, despite a three-tier mullet that wobbled like a jelly in a high wind, but almost no skill: he did have one secret weapon, however-a lethally powerful shot, which was a nightmare for goalies on the rare occasions it found the target. Usually, Percy would execute a cumbersome seven-point turn, like a mastodon trying to ballet dance, in order to set himself up for a shot, and then, as a hush of anticipation fell over the ground, blast ridiculously wide of the goal. On the rare occasions it came off, Percy was a truly majestic sight to behold. I remember one game where he slowly gathered momentum from the half-way line like a runaway train before letting rip with a rocket that gave the goalie no chance. Then he did the same a couple of minutes later, leaving one little fan in seventh heaven. Percy didn't last long at Reading, and was eventually sold (given?) back to Lincoln, whence he had originally come.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 18 Dec 2007 17:02, edited 2 times in total.

TWRoyal

by TWRoyal » 18 Dec 2007 16:53

Phil Whitehead saving the ball from going out for a corner against Oxford only to present it to the striker that was standing in front of an empty goal. We won 4-3, IIRC, so could laugh at it.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Dec 2007 17:05

Berry Also Remember losing 6.1 to Palace at Elm Park, Pitch invasion and Uri Geller giving it "We all must have faith" Mantra. Someone behind me shouted"Fcuk Off Geller and bend some spoons" Classic moment.

I was sitting next to Geller during that game.

He knew nothing whatsoever about football.

........................hmmmm......maybe that's why he attached himself to Reading FC?

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 18 Dec 2007 17:20

Mid-Week FA Cup replay against Cardiff City at Elm Park, just before the start of extra time the tannoy announcer tells them the last train back to Cardiff leaves in 5 minutes !!!

Ha ha ha - and they lost on penalties.