Reality check

150 posts
Cookie

Re: Reality check

by Cookie » 03 Feb 2008 17:00

howser The team does ship goals, what has happened to the highly talented and highly thought of defnesive coach ?? I read that lots of you enjoy his ranting and raving at other teams and match officials maybe its time he did some shouting at this shambolic defense that he is producing each week !

That's a point, I've been thinking that as well.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Feb 2008 17:02

The Quiet Man It isn't Coppell you should be blaming for the current state of affairs the decisions are taken by JM and he has been clear and consistent in his pronouncements since winning promotion which can be summarised as:

- the club has achieved his original objectives and reached the premier league
- JM will not finance the premier league either in ground or player investment that is the job for the 'billionaire' he hopes to sell to

To date there has been no plan B announced to cope with the lack of a sale and the desperate need for player investment to compete at this level so we continue with the cheap as chips approach that has got us where we are today.

Some facts that should influence the current perspective:

- when we were promoted from the championship SC said that our wage bill at that time was around 13/14th in that division, i.e. we have massively overachieved to get promoted. I would suspect we are clearly bottom of the wages league for the prem by a considerable distance.

- SC has been as diplomatic as he can be but reading between the lines there have been plenty of hints about player investment, very similar in both playing style and disputes in playing direction that were evident the year before we got promoted (a 442 side that it not a 442 side because the personnel cannot deliver the style of play required).

The worry for me is that relegated or not will JM sanction the investment to keep us a credible side. If we go down can you see JM sanctioning a lets get the best championship players and get straight back up like Birmingham - I think not I would see a very general decline and possibly a struggle to stay in the championship as JM gets even more disillusioned at football.

I agree with all of that.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Feb 2008 17:04

On the wage bill - I remember an article in the Times towards the start of this season where our total annual wage bill was app. £10m. To put that in context, Wigan's was £20m, and they had the 19th highest wage bill in the Premier League. Admittedly our figure probably included some residual figures from the Championship, but still, it was evident then, and is now, that this club is being run on a shoe-string.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Feb 2008 17:05

Hmmm. A "billionaire" is looking to acquire a football club - does he go for one with the kudos of being in the Premiership, but needing a bit of investment to keep them there, or does he go for one that is relegated to the Championship and sliding down that league unless someone spends some money - I know what sort of team I'd rather go for, if I was looking for a club as an investment and with good prospects...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Feb 2008 17:14

We can stay in this divison if we do a few things :

1.Increase Player Confidence/Team Spirit
2.Drop Players who aren't performing. Eg.Lita
3.Increase are home form and improve are poor away form
4.Win the Vital Games
5.Make changes in games that we are losing early and not in the last 4 minutes.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2008 17:14

Royal Lady Hmmm. A "billionaire" is looking to acquire a football club - does he go for one with the kudos of being in the Premiership, but needing a bit of investment to keep them there, or does he go for one that is relegated to the Championship and sliding down that league unless someone spends some money - I know what sort of team I'd rather go for, if I was looking for a club as an investment and with good prospects...

if i had the dosh i'g go with Reading as we have an enormous catchment area

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Feb 2008 17:16

LoyalRoyalFan We can stay in this divison if we do a few things :

4.Win the Vital Games

6. win more games and lose less games

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Feb 2008 17:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Royal Lady Hmmm. A "billionaire" is looking to acquire a football club - does he go for one with the kudos of being in the Premiership, but needing a bit of investment to keep them there, or does he go for one that is relegated to the Championship and sliding down that league unless someone spends some money - I know what sort of team I'd rather go for, if I was looking for a club as an investment and with good prospects...

if i had the dosh i'g go with Reading as we have an enormous catchment area
Obviously both the teams in my analogy are Reading, one is where Madejski spends a bit to keep us as a Prem team, the other is what could effectively happen this year and in subsequent seasons. The only good news for the "billionaire" in question is that if we're relegated we won't be worth as much. :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Feb 2008 17:19

LoyalRoyalFan We can stay in this divison if we do a few things :

4.Win the Vital Games

Gosh, I hadn't realised it was all so straightforward! Thanks!

Erm, if we do 4, why do we need to bother with 1, 2, 3 and 5?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Feb 2008 17:29

cmonurz On the wage bill - I remember an article in the Times towards the start of this season where our total annual wage bill was app. £10m. To put that in context, Wigan's was £20m, and they had the 19th highest wage bill in the Premier League. Admittedly our figure probably included some residual figures from the Championship, but still, it was evident then, and is now, that this club is being run on a shoe-string.

A very frayed shoe-string that is about to break!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Feb 2008 17:30

Yep.
But we do need to win the next 13 vital games.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2008 18:04

Sir Dodger Royal Administration you have to be joking. £100million in and six bob out.

That's the sort of administration Mrs Dodger would like.

Get in the Dodger world of Facts not the make believe world of the RTGs.

You know it makes sense.

Twat

£100 million would not have saved Leeds so don't try those figures. That would also be the Leeds that owned their own big stadium, are a bigger club, history, etc...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Feb 2008 18:06

Ian Royal Just to answer a few points raised.

Those of us who are positive, myself included, contrary to popular belief do not think that we are guaranteed survival, or that we are too good to go down etc etc.

We are well aware of the table and that we are in one hell of a slump and in some pretty deep poo. What we are not doing, and I do apologise very much for this, is slitting our wrists and crying our eyes out assuming we are down.

A comparison if I may.

RTG's view - Matejovski looks extremely competant, has been highly praised for training and has contributed to two games already. He is on the edge of an extremely good international side and seems to be exactly what we have been missing. Also he comes from a league that looked fairly quick and physical from the clips we saw. This suggests he could have a big impact once he has a good grasp of ENglish and is back up to fitness after his winter break.

STG's view - Matejovski must be shit because Fae was and we hadn't heard of him before or paid £5m for him, he was playing in a league non of us knew anything about and he hasn't started a game yet. Total waste.

Now just take a calm collected look at those and see which you think belongs to the twat.

Likewise our ability to stay up.

STG's view - We've played crap and lost a lot of games, we've lost a lot of ground, we haven't signed anyone I've heard of or spent lots of money. We have basically the same team as 2 years ago which clearly proves we're crapper than anyone else. We are certain relegation fodder it won't even be close.

RTG's view - we've played below par and pretty awfully this season, our midfield has been over run and lacking in creativity and we can't get defence and attack working at the same time. The other relegation candidates seem to be finding some form and we're in big big trouble. But we arn't even in the relegation zone yet. We have quality in our team we just need to find a way for things to click and start working again. We're by no means down yet, but it's getting worse, although the possibility of an improvement now we have a couple of less difficult games is very much there. Will it be enough? Who knows but lets all give it a shot, we may not be able to have a massive impact, but being quiet or whinging and shouting abuse at players certainly isn't going to help, whereas being loud and positive might just tip the balance and get a couple of decent performances and points froma team low on confidence and ideas.

Plenty of the negative nancys are putting together the starts of very good arguements, but they ruin it with the dismissal that we have a chance of staying up and the ridicule of anythign positive. I've yet to see more than one or two positive people take the polar opposite view. Regardless of what the whining likes of AP and Floyde might have you believe.

Far too sensible and balanced, probably why no one replied to it!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Feb 2008 18:19

Uke

Those of us who are positive, myself included, contrary to popular belief do not think that we are guaranteed survival, or that we are too good to go down etc etc.

We are well aware of the table and that we are in one hell of a slump and in some pretty deep poo. What we are not doing, and I do apologise very much for this, is slitting our wrists and crying our eyes out assuming we are down.

A comparison if I may.

RTG's view - Matejovski looks extremely competant, has been highly praised for training and has contributed to two games already. He is on the edge of an extremely good international side and seems to be exactly what we have been missing. Also he comes from a league that looked fairly quick and physical from the clips we saw. This suggests he could have a big impact once he has a good grasp of ENglish and is back up to fitness after his winter break.

STG's view - Matejovski must be shit because Fae was and we hadn't heard of him before or paid £5m for him, he was playing in a league non of us knew anything about and he hasn't started a game yet. Total waste.

Now just take a calm collected look at those and see which you think belongs to the twat.

Likewise our ability to stay up.

STG's view - We've played crap and lost a lot of games, we've lost a lot of ground, we haven't signed anyone I've heard of or spent lots of money. We have basically the same team as 2 years ago which clearly proves we're crapper than anyone else. We are certain relegation fodder it won't even be close.

RTG's view - we've played below par and pretty awfully this season, our midfield has been over run and lacking in creativity and we can't get defence and attack working at the same time. The other relegation candidates seem to be finding some form and we're in big big trouble. But we arn't even in the relegation zone yet. We have quality in our team we just need to find a way for things to click and start working again. We're by no means down yet, but it's getting worse, although the possibility of an improvement now we have a couple of less difficult games is very much there. Will it be enough? Who knows but lets all give it a shot, we may not be able to have a massive impact, but being quiet or whinging and shouting abuse at players certainly isn't going to help, whereas being loud and positive might just tip the balance and get a couple of decent performances and points froma team low on confidence and ideas.

Plenty of the negative nancys are putting together the starts of very good arguements, but they ruin it with the dismissal that we have a chance of staying up and the ridicule of anythign positive. I've yet to see more than one or two positive people take the polar opposite view. Regardless of what the whining likes of AP and Floyde might have you believe.

Maybe they were waiting until after the Bolton game.

All I can see is yet another trite false dichotomy attempt to depict peoples' opinion as "polar opposites". Yawn.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Feb 2008 18:21

Please name these people who have said Matejovsky is shit, because I haven't seen any. Plenty were raving about him on here when he played his first 10 mins for us and plenty were raving yesterday. His performance yesterday appeared to be the only light in a very dark tunnel as far as I can make out.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 03 Feb 2008 18:22

The Quiet Man It isn't Coppell you should be blaming for the current state of affairs the decisions are taken by JM and he has been clear and consistent in his pronouncements since winning promotion which can be summarised as:

- JM will not finance the premier league either in ground or player investment that is the job for the 'billionaire' he hopes to sell to

To date there has been no plan B announced to cope with the lack of a sale and the desperate need for player investment to compete at this level so we continue with the cheap as chips approach that has got us where we are today.

- when we were promoted from the championship SC said that our wage bill at that time was around 13/14th in that division, i.e. we have massively overachieved to get promoted. I would suspect we are clearly bottom of the wages league for the prem by a considerable distance.

- SC has been as diplomatic as he can be but reading between the lines there have been plenty of hints about player investment, very similar in both playing style and disputes in playing direction that were evident the year before we got promoted (a 442 side that it not a 442 side because the personnel cannot deliver the style of play required).

The worry for me is that relegated or not will JM sanction the investment to keep us a credible side. If we go down can you see JM sanctioning a lets get the best championship players and get straight back up like Birmingham - I think not I would see a very general decline and possibly a struggle to stay in the championship as JM gets even more disillusioned at football.

Good post. I agree entirely. The question I have is whether in fact JM has seriously tried to find a buyer or whether in reality he enjoys being chair of a Premier League club but is not prepared to invest further funds. It seems odd that even Derby and clubs in lower leagues can attact wealthy investors but not Reading.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 Feb 2008 18:33

Ian Royal STG's view - We have basically the same team as 2 years ago

No Ian, the STG view (and they are right) is that without Sidwell and Little we currently have a worse team - in the Premiership - than what we had 2 years ago in the Championship.

cmonurz On the wage bill - I remember an article in the Times towards the start of this season where our total annual wage bill was app. £10m. To put that in context, Wigan's was £20m, and they had the 19th highest wage bill in the Premier League. Admittedly our figure probably included some residual figures from the Championship, but still, it was evident then, and is now, that this club is being run on a shoe-string.

Ian, would you characterize this as an 'STG view' or rather, the reality of the situation?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 03 Feb 2008 19:03

Denver Royal
Ian Royal STG's view - We have basically the same team as 2 years ago

No Ian, the STG view (and they are right) is that without Sidwell and Little we currently have a worse team - in the Premiership - than what we had 2 years ago in the Championship.

Ian, would you characterize this as an 'STG view' or rather, the reality of the situation?

re: the best XI being the same as 2 years ago (albeit you'd have to substitute Matejovsky for Sidwell) that's entirely right. The problem has been that we haven't bought wisely. Give that we can't have intented some of our dismal failure signings to be that bad - and some of them were not cheap - that looks to be a failure on the scouting side in being able to spot a player that'd be a good championship player, but not spot one that'd be a good premiership one.

The wage bill is almost certainly from our promotion season. Even if we said our squad was just 25 players, that'd work out at £8000 a week. It's at least double that.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Feb 2008 19:16

North Somerset Royal

Good post. I agree entirely. The question I have is whether in fact JM has seriously tried to find a buyer or whether in reality he enjoys being chair of a Premier League club but is not prepared to invest further funds. It seems odd that even Derby and clubs in lower leagues can attact wealthy investors but not Reading.

If you splashed out a fortune on a new car, would you want to have to drive around in it for the next ten years with the previous owner's personalised number plates still on it?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 Feb 2008 19:27

Uke

So clue me in here. I know what RTG's are. What are the STG's? Shite Tainted Glasses?

150 posts