who voted for stephen hunt?

135 posts
earleyroyal

Re: Player of the year award sums up....

by earleyroyal » 03 May 2008 23:36

Good post, can't argue with any of that. I think it's more of a case of Coppell or Madejjski, as either he didn't have the money to spend (in which case Madejski deserves the blame), or he did have the money and chose not to spend it (in which case it's his fault). 'The money' means a reasonable amount to spend on transfers and wages, probably something in the region of 10-20 million.

Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

by Apocalypse Now » 03 May 2008 23:42

Coppell's biggest error was not selling Hunt in January for big money. He's done nothing in the second half of the season and is now worth about £1m.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 03 May 2008 23:46

Agree with alot of that but Spurs are not a mid table team in reality. With the quality they have as they have proved in seasons past, they are easily up there with Everton and Villa it's just a poor start let them down. With a few more additions I fully expect them to be back up there next season.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 04 May 2008 00:06

Shinfield how bad our season has been!

Stephen Hunt works hard, James Harper runs around a lot but they do not have the composure or quality for Reading to be anything other than relegation fodder. This type of player would not get into another Premiership side on a regular basis.

How many Spurs players would you say worked as hard as Hunt today? I reckon none but they didn't have too. Their awareness, movement and technique allowed them to let the ball do the work for them. Spurs treated today as a training game where they could demonstrate just how far our team is behind. We must remember going into the game Spurs were only midtable and their display showed the massive differences in quality between midtable and bottom 3.

Unfortunately, two people are to blame for our lack of improvement this season - Coppell and Madejski. If Coppell had money to spend it is his fault for not being able to see that the majority of the squad is nowhere near good enough (especially when 22k less "qualified" people can see it as clear as day). If Coppell didn't have the money then Madejski is to blame for a serious lack of investment.

Relegation may not be a bad thing. I go to watch Reading compete (which they have not done in terms of quality this season). It is embrassasing when teams come to our stadium and take the p*ss because we cannot compete. At least next season we will be playing on a much more even playing field.

We need a clearout in the summer that's for sure and for me players such as Hunt, Harper, Shorey, Ivar, Duberry and Oster have to go. Maybe some of our youngsters will play especially if the Chairman insists on doing things on the cheap. Oh and forget about ticket prices going down....Madejski has us by the balls....he knows we want to support the team and we will be there.......a price freeze at the best.

Only two teams outside of the top 6 have won more than us at home!!!

And while you are at it, you may aswell just repeat the same boring comments about investment in the club that have been posted 100 times a day for the last 4 months

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 May 2008 00:11

AthleticoSpizz Marcus shoul've won it

Agree, which is ironic considering that he was critised at every opportunity earlier in the season.

Jeffers217

Stephen Hunt...Player of the year you must be joking

by Jeffers217 » 04 May 2008 01:21

Just wanted to dedicate a post to the topic of Stephen Hunt who imo should never have been given that award. Watching him today, he did not put one decent ball in the box, he played out of position and just stayed in the centre of the park. Week in week out I become disillusuioned by Coppell's team selection when I see Hunt being picked in front of the technically superior Convey. Yes Coppell, Hunt runs after the ball all day but that's no use if he's bloody useless when he gets it.
How we can't accept sunderlands MASSIVE £4.5million offer for him is an absolute joke as he is flamming out of his depth on that massive contract of his...which funnily enough since he signed that he hasnt played one decent game...a trend that has funnily enough been mirrored by the other shocking left sided player Nicky Shorey, who also couldn't cross the ball to save his life. What I found shocking was when Matejovsky was stood at the corner flag and Shorey came over to take it, the fans booed him and he just smiled to himself like he didnt even care. I wanna see players who care about this club and obv its gone to Shorey's head as he now thinks hes too big for this club. Not once did Sidwell not put in 100% when he knew he was leaving but yet Shorey thinks he can pi$$ around in every game he plays.
Harper 2nd in the player of the season...yer he played alright at the start but is not good enough for this division. In the centre of the park it shouldve been Marek and Bikey, every fan has said that but yet Coppell fails to see this.

Cookie

Re: Stephen Hunt...Player of the year you must be joking

by Cookie » 04 May 2008 01:26

Jeffers217 Just wanted to dedicate a post to the topic of Stephen Hunt who imo should never have been given that award.

You is in a little minority Jeffers

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 04 May 2008 03:18

Jeffers217 Just wanted to dedicate a post to the topic of Stephen Hunt who imo should never have been given that award. Watching him today, he did not put one decent ball in the box, he played out of position and just stayed in the centre of the park. Week in week out I become disillusuioned by Coppell's team selection when I see Hunt being picked in front of the technically superior Convey. Yes Coppell, Hunt runs after the ball all day but that's no use if he's bloody useless when he gets it.
How we can't accept sunderlands MASSIVE £4.5million offer for him is an absolute joke as he is flamming out of his depth on that massive contract of his...which funnily enough since he signed that he hasnt played one decent game...a trend that has funnily enough been mirrored by the other shocking left sided player Nicky Shorey, who also couldn't cross the ball to save his life. What I found shocking was when Matejovsky was stood at the corner flag and Shorey came over to take it, the fans booed him and he just smiled to himself like he didnt even care. I wanna see players who care about this club and obv its gone to Shorey's head as he now thinks hes too big for this club. Not once did Sidwell not put in 100% when he knew he was leaving but yet Shorey thinks he can pi$$ around in every game he plays.
Harper 2nd in the player of the season...yer he played alright at the start but is not good enough for this division. In the centre of the park it shouldve been Marek and Bikey, every fan has said that but yet Coppell fails to see this.

i wouldnt have given it to him either......my vote was for the South stand crossbar, 2nd to the south stand left post, 3rd USA....how did usa not win it? Hunt has been crap since he signed his contract, so has Shorey...funny that isnt it! Agree re: Harper, marek should have played from the start instead of Harper.....reckon Harper must be giving Coppell sexual favours or something....shame re: Fae as he may have played in the Derby game.....no chance now

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: who voted for stephen hunt?

by Gordons Cumming » 04 May 2008 07:45

I voted for Marcus

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 May 2008 08:00

Jeffers217 Watching him today, he did not put one decent ball in the box, he played out of position and just stayed in the centre of the park.

You did notice that we were playing 4-3-3 for the majority of the game didn't you?

Hunt was one of the three in the middle and so it was his job to play pretty centrally.

Sums up our season that a player who couldn't get a game in the Championship has won Player of the Year.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 May 2008 08:13

bobby1413
AthleticoSpizz Marcus shoul've won it

Agree, which is ironic considering that he was critised at every opportunity earlier in the season.

He wasn't really playing well at the start though was he??

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 May 2008 09:12

Hunty getting POTY sums up the season really, utter gash and embarrassing.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 04 May 2008 09:28

Voted Kitson. Top English goalscorer fr a long while, always gets the team into great positions, can dig himself out of a hole, and has a massive range of useful skills at his disposal.

fridays child

by fridays child » 04 May 2008 10:51

U-S-A, U-S-A

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 May 2008 11:11

Apocalypse Now Coppell's biggest error was not selling Hunt in January for big money. He's done nothing in the second half of the season and is now worth about £1m.
Yep, because we all knew he'd be awful in the second half of the season.

Given that we typically play a game with two wingers, and such a move would have left us with no fit wingers at all, some might suggest it wouldn't have been viewed as a wise move at the time.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 04 May 2008 14:40

I voted for Dave Kitson.
He has been the only person this season who has done enough up front to score goals and nearly merit a England call up.
Ok maybe he hasn't been great for the rest of the season but who has?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 May 2008 14:46

weybridgewanderer who voted for stephen hunt? go on, own up

It wasn't me, boss, I swear.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 May 2008 14:50

How much did Bolton sign Taylor for? We should have got Hunt out and Taylor in, good business in my view.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 May 2008 15:14

rhroyal How much did Bolton sign Taylor for? We should have got Hunt out and Taylor in, good business in my view.

It might well have been, had taylor not signed for Bolton before we had a bid for Hunt.

Cookie

by Cookie » 04 May 2008 15:40

I don't know how many votes were cast in total for those three, but however many there were, the message comes over loud and clear.

Hob Nob Opinion is not representative of general fan's opinion.
Last edited by Cookie on 04 May 2008 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

135 posts