New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's last game?

by Coppelled Streets » 09 May 2008 16:02

rg6royal Tbh i think we will walk whatever happens come the end of the season.

Speak for yowself, I aint walkin' anywhere! :wink:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 May 2008 16:03

We should all stand up and sing his name at the end of the game, regardless of the result or what division we are in.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 May 2008 16:06

I think he may stay on next season and help try guide us back to the prem. He knows what it takes i mean without doubt the 106pt record breaking season was memorable plus the other teams going down derby and bham are beatable.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 May 2008 16:06

CMRoyal Bloody hell, I find myself welling up just thinking of him leaving. I think I'd rather we go down and he stay :!:

That last answer in the press conference will start some rumours. "It'll all come to a whole conclusion on Monday." He's probably referring to the season but it certainly could be interpreted another way.

me too :cry: :cry:

and thats an interesting question

which would you rather

stay up and coppell go/ go down coppell stay

i reckon its the latter for me

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2008 16:16

As critical as I've been of Coppell this season (and at times last season for those that moan that it's only coming about now we're struggling) he's been an absolute legend and a god send for my club.

I'm so grateful Peter Taylor turned us down and we got the little genius with the dry wit and dour fascade. However, I've thought for a while now that this Sunday will be his last game as manager and it's a sad way for it all to end.

I never thought I'd see the football we played under McGhee bettered by a Reading side, but Coppell achieved that and bought even more success with it. For that he'll always be remembered and thanked.

I just hope he leaves us as a Premiership club, but if not, at least next season will be an interesting return to more familiar surroundings.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 09 May 2008 16:24

Hoop Blah As critical as I've been of Coppell this season (and at times last season for those that moan that it's only coming about now we're struggling) he's been an absolute legend and a god send for my club.

I'm so grateful Peter Taylor turned us down and we got the little genius with the dry wit and dour fascade. However, I've thought for a while now that this Sunday will be his last game as manager and it's a sad way for it all to end.

I never thought I'd see the football we played under McGhee bettered by a Reading side, but Coppell achieved that and bought even more success with it. For that he'll always be remembered and thanked.

I just hope he leaves us as a Premiership club, but if not, at least next season will be an interesting return to more familiar surroundings.

You nearly made me cry then! I love Steve Coppell.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 May 2008 18:51

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 May 2008 18:59

He could be gone either way, but I think there is more chance that he stays if we stay up. Everyone agree?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 09 May 2008 19:01

Last year when Jewell resigned he said he would have stayed if they'd been relegated. I think if we go down Coppell may wish to try and sort it out. If we stay up, that's surviving the notorious second season and setting us up for a decent amount of time up here, I imagine Coppell will be much happier to leave with a sense of job done.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 May 2008 19:08

brendywendy stay up and coppell go/ go down coppell stay

:roll:

Fezza

by Fezza » 09 May 2008 19:26

floyd__streete
brendywendy stay up and coppell go/ go down coppell stay

:roll:

What you said - as good a servant of the club as he's been and as fantastic a job he's done (until about nine months ago) how could anyone prefer the Championship to the Premiership. Smacks of people trying to find a silver lining when ther really really isn't one. I'll certainly stand up and clap him for all he's done, but, as he himself says he is in charge of the football at reading and if it's not working the buck stops with him!

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 May 2008 19:38

Maybe the point they're trying to make is; should we go dwon and Coppell stays, we'd still have a fantastic manager at our clubs, who knows the ins and outs, the structure and the personnel, and has a proven record.

Or we stay up, Copell leaves, and we get Gregory / Dowie / some other, who disrupts the club, brings in a few faded superstars and tries to defend their way back up.

There is a nucleus within the squad capable of getting back to the top of the Championship next season, with half a dozen good additions. So unless Sven, Avram or Jose or any of the other out-of-work superstars of management feel like taking on Reading in the Premiership, I'd go with rebuild under Coppell.

But, I don't believe we'll go down, and if that happens, I suspect he'll stay.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 May 2008 20:30

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 09 May 2008 22:50

Kitsondinho http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/7393146.stm

I remember back in SC's Palace days, that he jacked straight after Palace being relegated one season. It wouldn't suprise me if he did the same.

Make of this what you will.

Coppell ducks question on future

Steve Coppell has refused to confirm he will still be in charge of relegation threatened Reading next season.

The Royals must get a result at Derby, who are already down, to have any chance of avoiding dropping out of the Premier League.

When asked whether he would continue as manager whatever the outcome, Coppell replied: "I can't say that.

"I'm not backing out of answering a question but I just want to concentrate on the football match."

Even victory at Pride Park on Sunday might not be enough as a Fulham win at Portsmouth would put Reading down anyway, with Birmingham's result against Blackburn also significant.

Coppell said: "Let's get Sunday out of the way and we will go from there. That's not giving myself an out, but my whole concentration is on Sunday.

"This has got nothing to do with my personal situation, it is about Reading Football Club trying to win a football game on Sunday, nothing else."

Coppell, who was voted manager of the year by the League Manager's Association in the last two seasons, has the support of Royals chairman John Madejski.

But Reading's fate is no longer in their own hands after a run of six games in which they have failed to score a goal and earned just two points.

Fulham's revival means they are now ahead of Reading on goal difference, leaving the Royals in the third relegation spot.

"The manager is always accountable. I have never hidden from that," said Coppell.

"At this club I have made great issue of that fact that the chairman leaves me alone and there is no interference.

"He leaves me to look after the football club and if the football is not working it's my responsibility 100%."
Last edited by Tinrib on 09 May 2008 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 09 May 2008 22:52

LoyalRoyal22 We should all stand up and sing his name at the end of the game, regardless of the result or what division we are in.

:lol:

He is out of his depth in the top division. His time at Palace and his time here proves that.

The moment there is any pressure whatsoever he starts putting out very strange team selections and refuses to drop players that played well two years ago.

Time for him to move aside, taking Kevin Dillon and Wally Downes with him. You need a ruthless management team to survive long term in this league. See Roy Keane and Steve Bruce.

Everyone seems obsessed that as Coppell went to uni this indicates an intelligent manager? Lets be honest a university education is not exactly a pre-requisite amongst football managers but Coppell? The guy spent all of his time at Liverpool missing lectures and ended up with a less than mediocre degree from a run of the mill uni.

The guy is not bright. I can see how appeals to the working class football fans though

Slacky

by Slacky » 09 May 2008 23:04

I think he will go regardless, and have thought this since last August. Keeps us up for two years (!hopefully!), no increase in money for wages for mid-table players and they don't want to come anyway, why would he want to fight for 17th again and again?

If we go down and he goes I don't see what's wrong with chorus of 5 Parkisons, 4 Parkinsons....etc etc

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 May 2008 23:11

SpaceCruiser He's got one more year on his contract and he's a honourable man, I'd expect him to see out his contract before taking that break he's talked about.
I think Spacey is 100% right

Cookie

by Cookie » 10 May 2008 00:07

AthleticoSpizz
SpaceCruiser He's got one more year on his contract and he's a honourable man, I'd expect him to see out his contract before taking that break he's talked about.

No.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 10 May 2008 00:08

Well STAR have been hush hush about the fan's forum last night and they said he got a standing ovation. We'll find out on Monday I guess.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 May 2008 00:11

Cookie
AthleticoSpizz

No.
why?

1747 posts