Worst player you've seen at Reading

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Worst player you've seen at Reading

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 13:25

Number 9
dobcheck Paul Bodin was rubbish

Am I the only one who tought Paul Bodin was pretty good?

Yep.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 18 May 2008 13:31

Eamon Dunphy seemed to me, as a mere nipper, to be absolutely dire. Always found it somewhat amusing that he's now such an aggressive pundit, when he was, in the games I saw, utterly useless.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 May 2008 13:34

Here's Bas at his best for Bristol City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JHt_9RltY

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 18 May 2008 13:47

Tommy Youlden's Ears Eamon Dunphy seemed to me, as a mere nipper, to be absolutely dire. Always found it somewhat amusing that he's now such an aggressive pundit, when he was, in the games I saw, utterly useless.

Sorry mate. Got to put you straight on this one. You were only a nipper at the time but Dunphy was superb for us. It was towards the end of his career but he clearly had a football brain. He famously fell out with Charlie Hurley of course and he probably had strong opinions even then. He was known for liking a drink.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 18 May 2008 13:58

ankeny Obviously none of you ever saw Malcolm Swain.

Good call that. Can't think of many worse than him. I felt sorry for him because the Reading management had clearly told him he could make a footballer and nothing was further from the truth. I understand he took up rugby after leaving Reading, although I find that hard to picture.
Another player I felt sorry for because he was so useless was a centre back called Martin James. In those days footballers were not well paid (certainly not in the lower divisions) and James was persuaded to quit a decent day job and give it a go as a professional. One look at him told you it was a huge mistake.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 18 May 2008 14:12

Broxroyal
Tommy Youlden's Ears Eamon Dunphy seemed to me, as a mere nipper, to be absolutely dire. Always found it somewhat amusing that he's now such an aggressive pundit, when he was, in the games I saw, utterly useless.

Sorry mate. Got to put you straight on this one. You were only a nipper at the time but Dunphy was superb for us. It was towards the end of his career but he clearly had a football brain. He famously fell out with Charlie Hurley of course and he probably had strong opinions even then. He was known for liking a drink.

OK. I stand corrected. Still a gobshite, though.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 May 2008 14:31

Funny I was just thinking that posters on this thread must be too young to remember Malcolm as if they did there would be no contest. Not only was he useless he did not even look like a footballer. I do recall him scoring a very long range goal at Fulham once but otherwise was very lightweight.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 May 2008 14:42

Tommy Youlden's Ears
Broxroyal

OK. I stand corrected. Still a gobshite, though.

I agree Eamon Dunphy was an intelligent player and inspirational captain. He has written several books and will always be remembered by me for the quote about Swindon being a team comprising old men who did not want to play and youngsters who did not know how to.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 May 2008 14:47

I heard something about this player who was meant to be awful in the 70s. Somebody going by the name of Robin Friday, I believe........

double d

by double d » 18 May 2008 16:51

RoyalBird
rfcjoe Andy Hughes, Paul Brooker, Loloyd Owusu, Anthony Rougier? Keith Scott.

Those players, apart from Keith Scott, weren't great but all had their great moments and performed consistently average or good (doesn't count when they left the club except for Hughesy for that bargain!) The Division 2/League 1 era had quite a few catastrophes, such as Mass Sarr, Paul Brayson, Elroy Kromheer, Peter van der Kwaak, Sean Evers, Jimmy Crawford, Andy Gurney, Robert Fleck, among others. Don't forget the forgotten ones that did nothing for Reading, like Eric Obinna Chukwynely (Is that how you spell his last name?), Sekou Baradji, Omar Daley and Peter Mate. Plus the waste of money buys like Greg Halford, Emerse Fae (as it looks like it's turned out to be), Scott Murray and one or two Tommy Burns signings.

the only thing baradji ever done was that glorious free kick to set the winner up against sheff united in the CCC in the last minute. whats about alan bennet? he has done zero or we bought some dodgy irish guy in the CCC somthing dobson?

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 18 May 2008 17:01

Mark Reilly, Mark Reilly and Mark Reilly again

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 May 2008 17:02

papereyes
AthleticoSpizz
Row V What about "Barn-door Brayson"?
(he who scored shit loads for Northwich and Gateshead ?

Err. We play at a bit of a higher level than those two.

I love Spizz' boozed fuelled weekend posts. :lol:

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 18 May 2008 17:04

Paul Brooker spring any memories for anyone. Did he ever do anything?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 May 2008 17:05

Readingfanman Paul Brooker spring any memories for anyone. Did he ever do anything?

Wigan away. He minced.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 18 May 2008 18:44

how come a garrison boy wins the prize by nominating the "goat"?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 18:48

Scott Howie, Van Der Kwaak, Simon Shepherd - Christ we've had some good keepers down the years.

Booty, Swailes, Gray, Maybury...

Evers, Reilly, McIntyre, Brooker...

Scott, Brayson, Fleck, Owusu, Goater...

All crap

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 May 2008 19:57

Readingfanman Paul Brooker spring any memories for anyone. Did he ever do anything?
Yes..............sad to say, you weren't there to see it

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 May 2008 21:04

Oh yes I did - amd he was, without any doubt the worst I've seen in a Reading shirt.

Didn't he score in a high scoring testimonial - against Phil Parkes, and from long range. That was the only time he did anything right, and it was a bloody friendly.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 May 2008 21:53

Don't really understand the antipathy towards Tony Roufier. I think too many were blinded by his decent goal scoring record at Port Vale. In recent years, Glenn Little is the only player we've had that compares for skill and dribbling ability. He was one of those players who created a buzz of anticipation when he got the ball at his feet and started running even though you knew the ball would end half way up the stand. How does that make him any different to Michael Gilkes?

Worst Reading player ever? Only one contender - Mark Whitlock. Fat, slow and utterly useless. And a dodgy moustache.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 18 May 2008 22:50

Martin James, by a long mile. He came into the worst side I remember, when we were below half way in the 4th division, and we released him at the end of the season to work at Sainsburys. Why he stands out is that he wasn't a football player; though tall, he didn't look or move like one, being totally unco-ordinated.

Setting him aside, I used to loathe watching Ollie Kearns, a striker who hardly ever scored and never looked like doing so.

In recent times, I remember some terrible players during our relegation season under Bullivant. There was a full back called Swain who was to defence what holes are to Gruyere cheese.