Reserves V Plymouth

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Reserves V Plymouth

by winchester_royal » 08 Oct 2008 16:55

Drew 3-3 goals from Bignall, Mooney and Bossman.

Anyone go to the game?

chandog

Re: Reserves V Plymouth

by chandog » 08 Oct 2008 17:01

no

good to see mooney got one
will surely be given a chance in the first team soon

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Oct 2008 17:05

Went to see it, looked alright.

Has the second goal definately been given to Bignall then? Hard to see who actually scored it.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 08 Oct 2008 17:08

Went to the game and although it was 3:3 it really didn't seem a particularly exciting game. Harper was mostly anonymous.

Mooney makes some good runs but has the ball control skills of an elephant. I felt the same when I saw the 10:1 demolition of Lewes. Although he scored a hat-trick that day (even I could have), I thought he looked a bit of a donkey. Doesn't seem anywhere near good enough for Championship level. But, hey, you never know.

I thought the second goal was already over the line from Pearce's header, but been given as a tap-in to Bignall.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 08 Oct 2008 17:13

The stiffs concede 3 goals and Harper plays in midfield. You do the math.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Oct 2008 17:16

Squelchy2507
Mooney makes some good runs but has the ball control skills of an elephant. I felt the same when I saw the 10:1 demolition of Lewes. Although he scored a hat-trick that day (even I could have), I thought he looked a bit of a donkey. Doesn't seem anywhere near good enough for Championship level. But, hey, you never know.

I believe someone said the same type of thing about Long and he's an International player now. :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Oct 2008 17:19

Scarface The stiffs concede 3 goals and Harper plays in midfield. You do the math.

2+2=5?

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 08 Oct 2008 17:30

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 08 Oct 2008 17:33

We didn't win :(

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 08 Oct 2008 19:18

Reading website described it as a thriller and Plymouth said it was exciting! They also credited Pearce with the goal. I thought it was a bit disappointing given all the recent goals scored. Plymouth fielded probably a stronger side than us including Belgian international Emile Mpenza and on loan Nicholas Marin amongst an experienced side so perhaps the result was not too bad. Some sparks of good play from some of our youngsters but not consistent enough. Apart from perhaps Cisse, who had a solid game at centre half, nobody seemed ready to step into the first team on this showing.

R3AD1NG

by R3AD1NG » 08 Oct 2008 19:29

seemed like henry set everything up from the os

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 08 Oct 2008 19:41

Some good crosses but not up to his usual standard I thought. Also some good crosses from the other younger players as well. Perhaps in hindsight we could have won but conversion headers or shots were well blocked by the Plymouth goalkeeper and his defence.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Oct 2008 19:47

Scarface The stiffs concede 3 goals and Harper plays in midfield. You do the math.

However Plymouth did have a very strong team out............

bootboy

by bootboy » 08 Oct 2008 20:38

Personally I rather enjoyed the game as it livened up in the 2nd half and swung from one team to the other. The first half was not bad with Rfc edging it with a solitary goal but looking better in terms of their team play. The 2nd half was totally different. Plymouth came out straight on the front foot and looked dangerous consistently as they came forward for the first 15 mins or so. The games balance swung between the two teams as Plymouth edged in front only for Rfc to claw it back twice.

Thought Cisse was a rock in first half but not as good 2nd. Pearce was very dominant at the back and good goal. Henry 2nd half was a constant threat with his crosses and dead balls setting up plenty of opportunities to kill game off. Mooney for me is not this level and not sure if he will be, so the jury is out. Harper was very sluggish and only showed glimmers of his normal self. The rest of the team for me were as usual.

Overall an enjoyable game, 6 goals and some nice sunshine.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Oct 2008 20:49

chandog no

Not if the views of the two posters that went to the game are correct.
Maybe the Irish guy who posted on another thread that Mooney is better than Doyle is deluded. :roll: :

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 08 Oct 2008 21:58

I went to the game - but due to work commitments and only being allowed an hour for lunch, I only saw the 1st half.

When I left at half time it was 1-0 - Ressies looked ok actually - Cisse looked solid as did Pearce. Harper looked average really. The Young uns did themselves no harm, especially Sigurdsson.

Mooney was offside alot. Although he took his goal well. Actually saying that it was an open goal as the keeper came out - made a hash of the ball (again) it fell to Mooney who shimmied then lobbed the ball over everyone and it looked like it was going to hit row G at first - then it dipped and looked like the crossbar was going to stop it then it just slid down the back of the net - it must have only just missed that bar, never-the-less he scored, and i thought he took it well. But I remember him being offside quite alot.
He made good runs, but was on the end of some bad decisions in the passing - he went to go one way but the passer thought he was going to go somewhere else. It would have been interesting seeing some good balls put in from the wings into him but that was non-evident in the 1st half

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Oct 2008 22:13

Victor Meldrew
chandog no

Maybe the Irish guy who posted on another thread that Mooney is better than Doyle is deluded. :roll: :

Can't make up my mind who sounded worse, Harper or Mooney.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 09 Oct 2008 12:49

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew
chandog no

Can't make up my mind who sounded worse, Harper or Mooney.

I would have thought that Harper had little to prove other than fitness whereas Mooney needs to prove that he is a Championship(and preferably Premiership)standard footballer.
Hopefully with full-time training Mooney will end up being a bargain like Doyle rather than a waste of money like Bennett.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 09 Oct 2008 13:34

I would have thought that Harper has at least as much to prove as Mooney. He lost his place through injury and his replacement has shown that he is capable of holding his place in the team. If Harper thinks he just has some sort of divine right to regain his place without really having to show that he is good enough, then I hope he has to wait a very long time.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Oct 2008 17:53

Hampshire Royal I would have thought that Harper has at least as much to prove as Mooney. He lost his place through injury and his replacement has shown that he is capable of holding his place in the team. If Harper thinks he just has some sort of divine right to regain his place without really having to show that he is good enough, then I hope he has to wait a very long time.

I think that 5 years or whatever as a leading player in a side that has played at both Championship and Premiership level means that he has proven what he can do.
Meanwhile Mooney has played in Irish football plus a few Reserves and League Cup games for us.
So Harper has to work hard to regain a place and Mooney has to do the same -really there is no argument especially as James is a level-headed sort of bloke who realises that he has no divine right to a place.
This is Harper we are talking about not Lita.