Harper the most wonderful assist man in the world ever!

199 posts
zummerset

Re: James 'The Crab' Harper

by zummerset » 09 Feb 2009 18:22

He was poor on Saturday and Marek looked a lot more influential when he came on but he tried a bit too hard (no doubt frustrated by the lack of chances he gets). I try to be open minded about Harps and he does work hard, acts as a distribution hub and is clearly well respected by Coppell and other managers. But I can't get excited about any aspect of his game and with the £5 million price tag thats why he gets so much flak.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 09 Feb 2009 18:32

brendywendy
royalexile Now if Mick Gooding see's this potential and it is displayed when training then the question with Harps is does he lack the confidence to be assertive enough in the field of play when it counts. Admittedly he has shown this on occasion recently. He has shown he can take players on (Liverpool last season, and have a mare when a goal is conceded (Newcastle away)). Safe build up in midfield and holding play is great if Shunt / Kebe go on their positive mazy runs but so often recently these are breaking down far too early. He seems to lack the confidence to go in and tackle players when that is sometimes an easier option.

probably just a lack of confidence in the rest of the team compared to 05/06 where he KNEW he could rely on all of his team mates-so felt less soley responsible for keeping us solid etc, especially with the captaincy etc

Do so few people watch his accurate passes to the wings, etc? I noticed on Saturday that we seemed to lose our shape when he went off. I think "crab" is the wrong description, "spider" would be better as he is the centre of such a lot of our play. My only criticism is that I often wish he would take more shots at goal when the opportunity arises. We have seen some great goals from him in the past. The trouble is that we have no idea what instructions the boss gives them, and none of us on here (unless we are arrogant enough)can say otherwise.

I always rated Marek, but he will be suited to the Prem when/if we get there. This division is not for him with his along-the-ground passes which I must admit I like to see, but I feel we have to play too much in the air at present - particularly while our pitch is in its present condition.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2009 18:43

I think Harper's been affected by the captaincy. I think he feels his responsibilities more and so hangs back to organise and help cover the defence.

I think he's also been affected by Cisse's goals. Normally you'd expect Harps to be the more attacking of the two, but given Cisse has weighed in with a few I think Harps is leaving the forward play to him. And lets face it, Cisse has half the passing skill and creativity that Harper has.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Feb 2009 18:44

He was just as shit last season so the captaincy hasn't affected him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2009 18:45

Royalee He was just as shit last season so the captaincy hasn't affected him.

Completely wrong. And done so many times before I'm not going there again.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Feb 2009 18:46

Ian Royal
Royalee He was just as shit last season so the captaincy hasn't affected him.

Completely wrong. And done so many times before I'm not going there again.

Completely wrong to play him, every week.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2009 18:48

I still with the man who's won Manager of the Year twice in the last 4 seasons over you thanks.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Feb 2009 18:50

Ian Royal I still with the man who's won Manager of the Year twice in the last 4 seasons over you thanks.

Good managers don't have three relegations on their CVs.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 09 Feb 2009 18:55

Royalee
Ian Royal I still with the man who's won Manager of the Year twice in the last 4 seasons over you thanks.

But could have 3 premier promotions. Fecking hell :shock: :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Feb 2009 20:12

Royalee

no, thats great managers-you buffoon

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Feb 2009 08:45

brendywendy

no, thats great managers-you buffoon

You can't call a Bournemouth graduate a buffoon!!
:wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Feb 2009 13:18

londinium
Ideal Funny how nobody lambasts Kalifa "The Salmon" Cissé for all his shortcomings, yet the same people take advantage of every opportunity to point out every fault with James Harper.
Basicly all Cissé does is jump up and flap around, he's virtually useless in all other aspects of the game. Yet James Harper is the one singled out.

I can understand how people expect more from Harper than from Cissé, after all Harper is a million times the footballer Cissé is, in fact you'd struggle to call Cissé a footballer, but this criticism has really gone too far.

I'd like to see Cissé dropped in favor of Karacan, and Matejovsky sold to some european mediocrity where he is better suited to the style of play. After all he can't pass to anyone but the opposition, and he only has the stamina to play 20~25 minutes at most, and can't tackle to save his life. There has never been a player where the term "flatters to deceive" has been more appropriate. All hype and no end product.

I don't think I have agreed with a word you have ever said before today... but I have to say 'well said that man'.

+1 on all counts

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Feb 2009 13:52

Royalee

Very true, they are usually sacked before then and disappear into the ether. Great managers keep going and rebuild

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2009 13:55

outside views dont mean shit if you dont even watch games live

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2009 14:15

rg6royal The person who make this thread is an idiot.

Oy! :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2009 14:16

loyalroyal4life

BO-RING.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Feb 2009 15:20

Archie's penalty
loyalroyal4life

BO-RING.

Bit like this thread to be honest

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Harper the most wonderful assist man in the world ever!

by SteveRoyal » 14 Feb 2009 21:52

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ay_coppell

Harper critics won't sway Coppell
By Nick Ive
February 12, 2009

Steve Coppell says he has no intention of bowing to pressure from Reading fans who want James Harper dropped from the team.

Harper has been jeered on occasions this season by a Madejski Stadium crowd, frustrated by some of his displays.

In contrast Marek Matejovsky, who replaced Harper during Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Preston, was given a huge cheer when he entered the field.

But Coppell insists Harper remains one of his key players in what he hopes will be a promotion-winning season.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening Post, Royals boss said: “I am aware of him getting some stick, but he has always been a solid player for me.

“He isn’t as flamboyant as some players, but he is massively efficient and he covers lots of gaps and sometimes that is under-estimated.

“Players are judged on results. Everyone likes midfielders to be creative and be able to release other players, and weigh in with a couple of goals. But the best team is not always the best 11 players.

“Harps is an important cog in our team and he is a massive influence in the dressing room. At the moment I am comfortable with his performances.

“Could he do better? Yes, but so could everyone.”

Matejovsky, who is currently on international duty with the Czech Republic, is regarded as one of Reading’s most creative players.

However, he has only played a bit-part so far this season.

An ankle injury kept him out of the first half of the campaign, but despite over-coming that problem several months ago, he has been limited to a place on the bench.

Royals also have Jem Karacan and Brynjar Gunnarsson as recognised central midfielders, while new signing Jay Tabb and Andre Bikey can also play there.

Coppell added: “There is competition there, as there is everywhere. Marek is a very gifted player and as one player comes in it can change everything about a team and we play a certain way.

“I know people think the subtlety of some players makes a difference but it can affect the balance too.”

Meanwhile Coppell insists he is in no rush to discuss renewing his contract as manager as he is focusing on promotion.

His current deal runs out at the end of the season and, as we revealed yesterday, the club will open talks with him in the next few weeks.

“I never ever look beyond my existing contract,” said Coppell. “I am in exactly the same position as some of the players. I’m sure what will happen will be determined by where we finish – the same goes for the players.

“I don’t make the decisions. My only desire is to get as many points as we can and finish as high as we can.”

Reading will be keen to keep Coppell even if they do miss out on promotion.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 15 Feb 2009 19:32

rg6royal The person who make this thread is an idiot.

Coming from the person who can't speak English.

199 posts