New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Sun Tzu » 02 Jun 2009 15:50

it would be interesting to know how much is being staked. I can't see this being a significant exposure for the bookies !

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Jun 2009 16:18

I think peterborough chairman made a fair point about us making an approach to interview ferguson as opposed to offering him a job!!

compare it to the steve bruce and sunderland job

Whistle

by Whistle » 02 Jun 2009 16:24

loyalroyal4life I think peterborough chairman made a fair point about us making an approach to interview ferguson as opposed to offering him a job!!

I thought the Posh chairman was incredibly uppity. Seems to think his club is the equal of ours :shock:

Swallowfield Posh

by Swallowfield Posh » 02 Jun 2009 16:30

Whistle I thought the Posh chairman was incredibly uppity. Seems to think his club is the equal of ours :shock:
I remember when it was.

MacAntony shoots from the hip, Fergie Jnr's input is the one I'd like to hear.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Jun 2009 16:34

Swallowfield Posh
Whistle I thought the Posh chairman was incredibly uppity. Seems to think his club is the equal of ours :shock:
I remember when it was.

MacAntony shoots from the hip, Fergie Jnr's input is the one I'd like to hear.

You'll have to meet the valuation before you'll hear anything.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jun 2009 16:38

The Posh chairman sounded a bit nervous.

Reading were never going to offer him the job outright. They never do without interviewing first.

I think he's worried. :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2009 16:46

2 points:

1. It would seem reasonable to assume, after receiving 100 applications (apparently), that, if we want to talk to him, Ferguson has applied.

2. The fact that we want to speak to him does not mean that he would be the successful candidate.

Sorry, doesn't really contribute anything but I wonder whether these points get overlooked by some people...

Anyway, I'm heartened by the Rodgers odds tumbling.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jun 2009 16:51

Royal Rother 2 points:

1. It would seem reasonable to assume, after receiving 100 applications (apparently), that, if we want to talk to him, Ferguson has applied.

2. The fact that we want to speak to him does not mean that he would be the successful candidate.

Sorry, doesn't really contribute anything but I wonder whether these points get overlooked by some people...

Anyway, I'm heartened by the Rodgers odds tumbling.

Except that he is under contract to someone already, which precludes him from applying - needing permission from us to talk to him also applies in stopping him from talking to us, even in the form of a written application.

What may have happened is his agent making the appropriate noises to Nicky H, saying that an approach would be welcomed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2009 17:02

I suspect we got a lot of applicants, but also had our eye on several managers who wouldn't be able to apply due to contracts.

Once we'd done the first couple of sifts and decided there wasn't an applicant who was stand out unmissable we decided to contact clubs about OUR shortlist, to try and get those managers in for interviews too.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Jun 2009 17:14

Ian Royal I suspect we got a lot of applicants, but also had our eye on several managers who wouldn't be able to apply due to contracts.

They probably did apply but not in an official way.......more through word of mouth etc via their agent in a wink wink nudge nudge type way!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jun 2009 17:18

loyalroyal4life I think peterborough chairman made a fair point about us making an approach to interview ferguson as opposed to offering him a job!!

dont think it was fair at all, seems odd to expect all that before an interview
we obviously need to see the prospectives before making a decision, and we cant make a decision before seeing them end of
if thats down to the system or whatever-i hardly see it as our fault

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2009 17:20

TBM
Ian Royal I suspect we got a lot of applicants, but also had our eye on several managers who wouldn't be able to apply due to contracts.

They probably did apply but not in an official way.......more through word of mouth etc via their agent in a wink wink nudge nudge type way!

So, not in fact with an application then?

It's much more likely we had a list of managers in other clubs we'd be interested in and approached their clubs. Possibly after some judicious; "would your client be interested if we approached his club" type thing.

I imagine quite a few agents gave us a nudge and a wink, and we ignored the majority.

tlcs

by tlcs » 02 Jun 2009 17:55

My work collegue is a Watford supporter, his best friend works on the Watford Observer.

He has been told that a deal has been done for BR and an announment will be made on wednesday

confirming that Rodgers is our new manager.

Royal Rob

by Royal Rob » 03 Jun 2009 09:39

tlcs My work collegue is a Watford supporter, his best friend works on the Watford Observer.

He has been told that a deal has been done for BR and an announment will be made on wednesday

confirming that Rodgers is our new manager.

Watford Observer? They will just be guessing, not got a clue. Although that said, it looks like a fairly well educated guess:

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/football/ ... ticle.html

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 03 Jun 2009 09:45

From the post

Royals swoop for Rodgers
By Nick Ive
June 03, 2009

Reading have made a move to land Brendan Rodgers as their next manager.

I understand Royals’ director of football Nick Hammond has now been in contact with Watford and a compensation package has all but been agreed.

It was initially thought it would cost Reading £500,000 to buy Rodgers out of his 12-month rolling contract, but Watford will demand more than that.

An approach was also made to Peterborough United to speak with their boss Darren Ferguson, but Reading appear to have been frightened off by Posh’s £1million-plus compensation package.

Cash-strapped Watford don’t want to lose Rodgers, who guided them to Championship safety last year, but they are now all but resigned to losing him.

The next move is for Reading to begin talks with the 36-year-old boss.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 03 Jun 2009 10:06

Odds onRodgers were 1/4 this morning - now betting on him is suspended - think its nailed on

Rodgers B (suspended)
Pardew A 7/2
Ferguson D 5/1

Source - Skybet

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jun 2009 10:08

Still hoping there is a dramatic twist yet and Ferguson gets the job,all this speculation forcing his hand to issue the 'come and get me' plea.............ahh we can hope. :cry:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Jun 2009 10:10

I don't really want Brendan Rodgers. :cry: I might start a car park protest and lie in the manager's parking place so he can't park there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2009 10:11

Don't think it'll happen AP - I'd say Posh said no, Watford said yes so we've gone for Rodgers.

I'd be very happy with either appointment.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Jun 2009 10:17

£60 of my hard earned will tell you it's Rodgers and the announcement is within the next 48 hours.

1747 posts