16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Are we a good option for a player??

yes we are proven at this level and above
51%
yes, things can only get better
22%
no, our support is poor and fickle
4%
no there are at least 6 teams at this level a player would join given the chance
22%

Total votes: 45
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

The great scheme of things

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Jun 2009 20:21

so as another player departs for more than we will currently pay, where does RFC stand in the great scheme of football things??

I would put us back to 2005 close season, but with the chance of paying 1/2/3 £million this time around instead of sod all, and buying players that might fetch 7/8/10£m if successful.

The difference now is will that priced player want to come to RFC?

Are we a better option than Leicester, Derby et al for a player, now we no longer have Coppell, who was and is proven at improving unkowns and advancing their careers.

I am hopeful that we have a manager that will move us up another notch, time will tell

bottom left hand corner

Re: The great scheme of things

by bottom left hand corner » 30 Jun 2009 20:31

not the way we are going to many exiting players but if i was a player i would give it a year and see were reading are at end of this up and coming season

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jun 2009 20:40

Our profile has risen considerably in recent years.

I can remember in 94 when we won promotion to Division 1, looking at the likes of Wolves and Sheffield United and just wishing that one day that could be us. Now it is! We're not a massive club, but nor are they. We have grown, we have a very attractive stadium and the facilities are second to none.

Are we an attractive club to join? Yes we are!

But there will always be bigger more attractive clubs, and sadly money tends to have too bigger say these days.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2009 21:04

How about none of those.

I choose: Attractive because we are proven at this level, well run with a lot of potential and good facilities. However there are plenty of other clubs who are similarly attractive for the same or different reasons.

And do you really think Doyle has gone to Wolves JUST because they will pay him more? If so, you're a bit dim.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jun 2009 21:06

Ian Royal How about none of those.

I choose: Attractive because we are proven at this level, well run with a lot of potential and good facilities. However there are plenty of other clubs who are similarly attractive for the same or different reasons.

And do you really think Doyle has gone to Wolves JUST because they will pay him more? If so, you're a bit dim.

Surely no one thinks that. It's about two things - money and premier league football. :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2009 21:12

Harpers So Solid Crew so as another player departs for more than we will currently pay,

I was rather assuming that was a reference to Doyle moving because he'd get paid more.

Although re-reading it I get the feeling it was actually meant for more than we'd spend on a transfer fee. Well no shit shirlock, Medium Sized Championship club in not paying Premier League transfer fees for Premier League quality players.

WTF happened to the sell high, buy cheap philosophy!? I'm pretty sure it used to be accepted as the best way forward. Now people only seem to want to see us spunk money left, right and centre on players because apparently throwing money at things shows ambition. Where do they think this money comes from? The Magic Money Tree!?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jun 2009 21:27

Michael Jackson I'm just excited about the kids

GJ79

by GJ79 » 30 Jun 2009 21:33

Ian Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew so as another player departs for more than we will currently pay,

I was rather assuming that was a reference to Doyle moving because he'd get paid more.

Although re-reading it I get the feeling it was actually meant for more than we'd spend on a transfer fee. Well no shit shirlock, Medium Sized Championship club in not paying Premier League transfer fees for Premier League quality players.

WTF happened to the sell high, buy cheap philosophy!? I'm pretty sure it used to be accepted as the best way forward. Now people only seem to want to see us spunk money left, right and centre on players because apparently throwing money at things shows ambition. Where do they think this money comes from? The Magic Money Tree!?

I want one please do B&Q sell them? :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2009 21:39

PM me your credit card number, security number, DOB, real name and address. I'll take £20 and send you one that's guaranteed to produce for at least 5 years with yields of between £500 and £5000 per year.

It's only the bonsai version I'm afraid. I've got shed loads cluttering up space and I can't keep them all alive until they bare fruit.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2009 08:54

Ian Royal

That philosophy was the corner stone of the successful Woolworths group ................. oh !!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Jul 2009 09:13

Ian Royal

Could start with the near on £15million recouped in player sales in the last year. Or the 2 years of parachute money. Or the 2 years of extortionate Premiership money that was barely spent on theplaying side. Any of that might be a place to start.

Because the amount of times you can go with that philosophy and be succesful is hit and miss. For every 1 you get i.e Doyle, you get Sodje, Bennett, Halls, Mooney, so you could argue in a roundabout way that hunting for bargains, we got 1 for around £900,000 of money spent.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jul 2009 09:50

Do we pay well - No.

Based on the above we are not a good option for any proven player.

However we are a fantastic option for any young Irish striker playing for Cork City who knows we will give them a chance, unless their first name is Dave.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 10:18

We also know that we can't pay well, so we make a conscious and real effort to be different to other clubs.

We really concentrate on taking care of our players, making them enjoy their time here, making them feel valued and part of the family and so on. It seems to work in many ways, but if a player is motivated purely by money - or if the money difference is massively big - of course players are going to move on.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2009 11:01

We can pay well.

In the Premiership we had a wage bill not too disimialr to the other clubs around us. Yes it was in the bottom third of the division so we probbaly can't compete with the bigger payers, but we can still pay well. Our wage bill was not too high as a proportion of our income either, so it probably isn't a case of won't not can't pay higher wages.

Also, don't forget the drain on our wage bill of some of the dross we bought. A more successful distribution of the money we spent on transfers and wages might've brought more success.

In this division our revenue will be one of the better one's around and certainly whilst we have the parachute payments we'll be among the top payers, so I don't see it as a great excuse.

Obviously we can't compete with Premiership clubs on wages whilst we're in the Championship though.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Jul 2009 11:09

Alan Partridge
Ian Royal Where do they think this money comes from? The Magic Money Tree!?

Could start with the near on £15million recouped in player sales in the last year. Or the 2 years of parachute money. Or the 2 years of extortionate Premiership money that was barely spent on theplaying side. Any of that might be a place to start.

I'd imagine that most of that money was spunked on players' wages!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2009 12:27

Thaumagurist*
Alan Partridge
Ian Royal Where do they think this money comes from? The Magic Money Tree!?

I'd imagine that most of that money was spunked on players' wages!

Indeed our wage bills were shown to be upwards of £25m and £30m in the two seasons we were there iirc. That's a massive chunk. And then there is the proportionately quite high increased spending on transfers despite what some people will tell you. Increased running costs were not just on the player wages.

Oh and the small matter of years and years of losses.

But all that has been said a million times before and ignored a million times before by those who can only see what is directly infront of their faces.

Previous year's figures are not just wiped out at the beginning of a new season. They roll over.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1