New signings

1201 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: New signings

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 15:59

(.)Boobies(.)
winchester_royal
(.)Boobies(.) Deal is in place for Brian Howard. I would expect confirmation shortly.

Harper going the other way?

I have to bite my lip on this. Seems I've annoyed some people with the Howard rumour. There is interest in Harper, um, sorry.

So you're saying he could go, but you're not allowed to say anything else?

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 01 Sep 2009 16:01

I'm saying only what I've said already and no more - There has been interest in taking Harper.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:04

Archie's penalty
rabidbee
koran According to a poster on the BBC site - "The deadline for most European countries passed yesterday and so they can no longer bring players in. However, the deadline was extended for the UK due to the Bank Holiday. As a result, UK clubs are allowed to bring players IN from abroad, but no players from the UK will be going OUT to European clubs."

I wonder if that extends to loans?

In the Championship it certainly does.

And Howard was very impressive during Barnsley's run to the Semi-Finals of the cup. I remember he scored a great goal against Liverpool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynRKgvt37Vc

Definitely worth giving him a shot. Creative and much more suited to the English game then your mate Marek.

He's no better than what we have...and its no good talking about what he was like then (remember he was an average player in a pretty shite team that had a freak cup run) - but its what he's like now, and obviously not even good enough for Blades first XI ...this is the frustration, unless there is a deal in the pipeline, we've spent £800k during the summer period, and Bugs will be playing with his c*ck thinking - good job done! Lets not get above ourselves, we beat the team, bottom of the league, on Saturday - no more than that!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:07

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
He's no better than what we have...and its no good talking about what he was like then (remember he was an average player in a pretty shite team that had a freak cup run) - but its what he's like now, and obviously not even good enough for Blades first XI ...this is the frustration, unless there is a deal in the pipeline, we've spent £800k during the summer period, and Bugs will be playing with his c*ck thinking - good job done! Lets not get above ourselves, we beat the team, bottom of the league, on Saturday - no more than that!

The main reason he has disappointed at Sheff Utd is that he doesn't fit their style of play. He's a decent player when the ball is played through midfield. Good signing if it happens IMO.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 01 Sep 2009 16:08

brenda side we were getting in 3 or 4 after rasiak and mcanuff

ok so o dea is on and howard is on his way (no fees for both, surprise, surprise)

i want at least one decent permanent signing and ideally two

two from these three and I'll be satisfied:

stock, campbell-ryce, king

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 01 Sep 2009 16:10

Gus the teenage cow brenda side we were getting in 3 or 4 after rasiak and mcanuff

ok so o dea is on and howard is on his way (no fees for both, surprise, surprise)

He said 2 or 3 not 3 or 4 which means it could well be the case O'Dea and Howard are the only 2

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 01 Sep 2009 16:10

Gus the teenage cow brenda side we were getting in 3 or 4 after rasiak and mcanuff

You'll get none of them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:11

Loan signings can have fees attached.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:11

Since when do you decide which players we sign or don't sign?

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:11

West Stand Flash lets hope the Howard deal goes through otherwise we look a little lightweight in midfield.

Whilst we may disagree about the quality of central midfield, we are certainly not short of quantity. For just three starting places (assuming 4-5-1) I make it that we currently have nine players (choose your own preferred order)... Harps, Marek, McAnuff, Tabb, Bryn, Karacan, Davies, Gylfi and Cisse. So an on any given day you'd expect (with Howard as well) 7 of those to either be on the bench or not involved at all(albeit some of those names can and do play in other positions, of course).

So I don't think we're lightweight there and, in fact, central midfield is the primary position where we could easily let a couple go.
Last edited by Hogmeister Royal on 01 Sep 2009 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:11

winchester_royal
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

The main reason he has disappointed at Sheff Utd is that he doesn't fit their style of play. He's a decent player when the ball is played through midfield. Good signing if it happens IMO.

If Reading were prepared to push the boat out a bit - Stock is a far better prospect for the club..so I guess it will be Howard!

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 01 Sep 2009 16:11

W&E Royal
Gus the teenage cow brenda said we were getting in 3 or 4 after rasiak and mcanuff

Since when do you decide which players we sign or don't sign?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:12

Hogmeister Royal
West Stand Flash lets hope the Howard deal goes through otherwise we look a little lightweight in midfield.

Whilst we may disagree about the quality of central midfield, we are certainly not short of quantity. For just three starting places (assuming 4-5-1) I make it that we currently have nine players (choose your own preferred order)... Harps, Marek, McAnuff, Tabb, Bryn, Karacan, Davies, Gylfi and Cisse. So an on any given day you'd expect 7 of those to either be on the bench or not involved at all(albeit some of those names can and do play in other positions, of course).

So I don't think we're lightweight there and, in fact, central midfield is the primary position where we could easily let a couple go.

You should be counting Henry as well. Played centrally in both cup games if I'm not mistaken.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:12

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
winchester_royal
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

If Reading were prepared to push the boat out a bit - Stock is a far better prospect for the club..so I guess it will be Howard!

How the oxf*rd would you know.

I trust Brendan far more than you on who this club needs.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2009 16:14

Hogmeister Royal

Whilst we may disagree about the quality of central midfield, we are certainly not short of quantity. For just three starting places (assuming 4-5-1) I make it that we currently have nine players (choose your own preferred order)... Harps, Marek, McAnuff, Tabb, Bryn, Karacan, Davies, Gylfi and Cisse. So an on any given day you'd expect 7 of those to either be on the bench or not involved at all(albeit some of those names can and do play in other positions, of course).

I tend to agree, Howard doesn't seem very necessary. Certainly can't see it happening if Harper and Marek stay on our books. What'd be the point?

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:15

Ian Royal
Hogmeister Royal

You should be counting Henry as well. Played centrally in both cup games if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, point taken - and I seem to remember that even Mooney was played in midfield pre-season (!). Point being that it's the one part of the field where we're not light.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 01 Sep 2009 16:16

winchester_royal
Thomas L'Heureux I personally cannot stand Brian Howard. I don't know why it is, but I really seem to hate him. :evil:

It's probably his face. Very irritating looking thing.

Mind you, he's Winchester born, so must be good. 8)

Isn't Stock 'Winchester born' too? It's obviously an essential requirement.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:16

as you said, in quantity.

We've had quantity before and it's not done us a great deal of good. We had it last season and midfield was one of our weaker areas.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Sep 2009 16:17

Royal Rother
Hogmeister Royal

I tend to agree, Howard doesn't seem very necessary. Certainly can't see it happening if Harper and Marek stay on our books. What'd be the point?

Would you accept that if Harps and Marek BOTH left, Howard would be a necessity?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:17

phil in cornwall
winchester_royal
Thomas L'Heureux I personally cannot stand Brian Howard. I don't know why it is, but I really seem to hate him. :evil:

It's probably his face. Very irritating looking thing.

Mind you, he's Winchester born, so must be good. 8)

Isn't Stock 'Winchester born' too? It's obviously an essential requirement.

That is true.

It's a breeding ground for quality footballers.

1201 posts