Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

123 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

by Royal Lady » 23 Sep 2009 11:02

Oh get over yourself W_R - it's hardly the end of anyone's world if a few people on an internet message board state that they're not happy with the way the club is going at the moment. :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Sep 2009 12:21

Just the kind of condescending response I've come to expect from you.

The fact that the EP is actually now asking the players in their interviews on their views over whether Rodgers loses his job is a sad enditment on the mentality of the RFC fans.

We've always prided ourselves on being a well-run, non-reactionary, thoughtful, and sensible club. Sadly that is no longer the case.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Sep 2009 12:22

keep him until end of season then see where we are at

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2009 17:46

winchester_royal Just the kind of condescending response I've come to expect from you.

The fact that the EP is actually now asking the players in their interviews on their views over whether Rodgers loses his job is a sad enditment on the mentality of the RFC fans.

We've always prided ourselves on being a well-run, non-reactionary, thoughtful, and sensible club. Sadly that is no longer the case.

The vast majority of fans believe that he has not had long enough yet, and aren't calling for his head.

But plenty think that he has certainly failed to get us performing as well as we should and that he's made and making plenty of cock ups. That he needs to stop spouting so much drivel in the media and that he'd better start picking up results soon, or we won't be able to afford to give him as long as we & he would like.

We simply can't afford to get relegated again. If it happens, and it's not looking unlikely on current performances and results, we'll lose a massive chunk of the rfanbase we've worked so hard to build up over the last 10 - 20 years, be in a spot of financial bother and probably rot in League 1 for at least 2 or 3 seasons, if not longer.

If that happens all Coppelland Pardew's great work is completely undone and we have to start from scratch. If that means Rodgers gets the sack after 15 to 20 games because we've only won a couple of games and are in the relegation zone. Tough tits.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 23 Sep 2009 18:53

andrew1957 At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

He's gone out on loan to Ipswich.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 23 Sep 2009 19:06

Mr Angry Part of the problem imho is one of heightened expectations due to where we were only a couple of seasons ago, and a difficulty for some posters to realise that getting to that position took a lot of time and effort, with failures mixed into successes, and cannot be replicated overnight. I find it odd that some fans seem incapable of realising that what happened this Summer was always going to happen the moment the final whistle blew at the end of the home P/O semi; we are a transitional team and squad and shoudl be viewed as such.

This was always going to be a difficult season, and whilst the knee jerk reaction of some fans was to be expected, I find it sad that those individuals have neither the wit nor the wisdom to see beyond the immediacy of a Saturday afternoon.

If BR makes it - fantastic; but whoever came in after Coppell was going to have a tough job, so maybe certain fans should cut the guy - and the squad - a bit of slack.

The expectation of a season beginning like this was the most depressing thing about the P/O semi-final. It was obvious that a good number of the team would go, and though we were not to know it, those who remained were still injured when the season started. However, depressing or not, it seemed a great chance to build a new team. This is what is happening and the only thing I find depressing now is the attitude of so many fans who can't see that these things take time. Some of the most sensible people I know seem to have a blind spot in this regard.

Look at the clubs who regularly sack managers when they think things are not going well. For most of them it is a recipe for disaster and not a recipe I want to use for the club I support.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2009 19:22

Henleyensian
Mr Angry Part of the problem imho is one of heightened expectations due to where we were only a couple of seasons ago, and a difficulty for some posters to realise that getting to that position took a lot of time and effort, with failures mixed into successes, and cannot be replicated overnight. I find it odd that some fans seem incapable of realising that what happened this Summer was always going to happen the moment the final whistle blew at the end of the home P/O semi; we are a transitional team and squad and shoudl be viewed as such.

This was always going to be a difficult season, and whilst the knee jerk reaction of some fans was to be expected, I find it sad that those individuals have neither the wit nor the wisdom to see beyond the immediacy of a Saturday afternoon.

If BR makes it - fantastic; but whoever came in after Coppell was going to have a tough job, so maybe certain fans should cut the guy - and the squad - a bit of slack.

The expectation of a season beginning like this was the most depressing thing about the P/O semi-final. It was obvious that a good number of the team would go, and though we were not to know it, those who remained were still injured when the season started. However, depressing or not, it seemed a great chance to build a new team. This is what is happening and the only thing I find depressing now is the attitude of so many fans who can't see that these things take time. Some of the most sensible people I know seem to have a blind spot in this regard.

Look at the clubs who regularly sack managers when they think things are not going well. For most of them it is a recipe for disaster and not a recipe I want to use for the club I support.

I don't mind a bad start or a bad season, so long as I believe it won't hurt the club significantly in the long run. I'm realistic enough to realise there are going to be ups and downs and we can't be at the top of the table every season.

But I am genuinely worried that the circumstances we currently have could lead to the team underperforming to usch an extent that we get relegated, which would be a disaster IMO. I WANT to give Rodgers all the time he needs, but I'm scared doing it will see us relegated and we won't recover for years if not decades.

He's not helping win my support, because I'm not especially impressed with the way he is conducting himself. He seems very cocksure and set in his ways for a manager with such little experience. If we win the next two games we're pretty much on track points wise as far as I'm concerned.

But it seems more likely to me right now that we will lose rather than win the next two games, which would place us on a lot fewer points than I'd have pessimistically wanted us to have by game 10. In fact almost half as many.

I would never want us to make a habit of sacking managers, generally I think they should be given a minimum of a season, if not longer, but I'm not sure we can afford to do that this season with Rodgers, unless things pick up in the next month or two.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Sep 2009 22:43

winchester_royal Just the kind of condescending response I've come to expect from you.

Don't be so frigging precious you drama queen

winchester_royal The fact that the EP is actually now asking the players in their interviews on their views over whether Rodgers loses his job is a sad indictment on the mentality of the RFC fans.

Corrected for you. And really, getting in a tiz over what the Scrote says. You ARE a drama queen aren't you.

winchester_royal We've always prided ourselves on being a well-run, non-reactionary, thoughtful, and sensible club. Sadly that is no longer the case.

And for that you can point the finger at Steve Coppell and the class of 2006/07/08. The bar has been raised. Get used to it. If you don't like it then go watch little southampton or Winchester. Don't start whingeing and whining like a spoilt brat.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 24 Sep 2009 23:46

Head vs brick wall time - Can any of the 'Rodgers Out' brigade furnish us with examples of when the short-termism they long for has worked? When has a club consistently achieved or bettered expectations after rapidly changing managers?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Sep 2009 23:57

prostak Head vs brick wall time - Can any of the 'Rodgers Out' brigade furnish us with examples of when the short-termism they long for has worked? When has a club consistently achieved or bettered expectations after rapidly changing managers?

Getting rid of a useless manager at the start of the season worked pretty well for Sunderland when they appointed Roy Keane didn't it? They'd lost 4 on the bounce early doors and he came in and took them up.

Just because some people aren't happy with Rodgers and are suggesting he could be out on his ear in the not too distant future, does not mean that they are short-termist. There is after all no point in giving a manager a whole season to relegate you, when he is clearly producing nothing. Especially when you should finish safely mid-table whilst rebuilding.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 25 Sep 2009 02:53

Ian Royal Getting rid of a useless manager at the start of the season worked pretty well for Sunderland when they appointed Roy Keane didn't it? They'd lost 4 on the bounce early doors and he came in and took them up.

Just because some people aren't happy with Rodgers and are suggesting he could be out on his ear in the not too distant future, does not mean that they are short-termist. There is after all no point in giving a manager a whole season to relegate you, when he is clearly producing nothing. Especially when you should finish safely mid-table whilst rebuilding.

Going purely on memory here, didn't it take Roy Keane quite a few games to turn it around? Well - not enough to stop them going up but I don't recall it being instantaneous. And anyway, wasn't Niall Quinn just caretaking until they found someone who actually wanted the job - someone whom he and his consortium would give a big pot of cash to?

If those that would sack Rodgers early were mostly saying 'wait and see until January', I'd be less inclined to consider them short-termists. However, most (or at least the most vocal portion) of the people that way inclined on this board seem to want him to go immediately. I'm quite old-fashioned in how I think football clubs should be run, and I don't want to see Reading become the sort of club who are paying off two or three managers at the same time because of impatience and a pigheaded notion that we have a divine right to rapid success. Fortunately, I don't think the chairman is somebody who would think a completely new face with exactly the same resources is a lesser risk than allowing a man (one who clearly wants the team to advance, and wants this in a personal as well as professional capacity) time to steady the course.

Finally, and this will invariably wind somebody up, I'd be happy with with merely avoiding relegation this season - but if we do go down, for me it will be the least disappointing relegation I've experienced over 20 years of following Reading (signing of the lump of Baltic driftwood aside).

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Sep 2009 10:39

Anyone calling Reading a reactionary club, needs to look at some other clubs.

Are fans are very apathetic. Works both ways, we don't get the support, but we don't get the full scale riots we'd have seen at other clubs by now.

The club I work for had the fans on the pitch demanding the manager's head the season they got promoted to the Premiership....

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Sep 2009 10:49

prostak Head vs brick wall time - Can any of the 'Rodgers Out' brigade furnish us with examples of when the short-termism they long for has worked? When has a club consistently achieved or bettered expectations after rapidly changing managers?

Pompie stayed up after getting rid of adams early doors last season

Blackburn stayed up after getting rid of Ince early doors last season

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 25 Sep 2009 10:56

Ian Royal

The vast majority of fans believe that he has not had long enough yet, and aren't calling for his head.

But plenty think that he has certainly failed to get us performing as well as we should and that he's made and making plenty of cock ups. That he needs to stop spouting so much drivel in the media and that he'd better start picking up results soon, or we won't be able to afford to give him as long as we & he would like.

We simply can't afford to get relegated again. If it happens, and it's not looking unlikely on current performances and results, we'll lose a massive chunk of the rfanbase we've worked so hard to build up over the last 10 - 20 years, be in a spot of financial bother and probably rot in League 1 for at least 2 or 3 seasons, if not longer.

If that happens all Coppelland Pardew's great work is completely undone and we have to start from scratch. If that means Rodgers gets the sack after 15 to 20 games because we've only won a couple of games and are in the relegation zone. Tough tits.

Spot on, the club is and always should be bigger than sentiment for anybody!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Sep 2009 11:12

Getting rid of a useless manager at the start of the season worked pretty well for Sunderland when they appointed Roy Keane didn't it? They'd lost 4 on the bounce early doors and he came in and took them up.

They didn't have a manager. It was the chairman trying to keep things going.

:|

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 25 Sep 2009 11:34

No matter what we think of the management - tomorrow is a game where we have to support him and the team. The Watford fans are gonna give him grief (understament of the year!) and we don't need to give them the satisfaction that we're not happy!

However.... I can see tomorrow's game being the turning point of our season... it was always going to wait for the Watford game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2009 11:47

weybridgewanderer

The obvious comeback to that is who is to say they wouldn't have done so anyway?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Sep 2009 12:27

prostak
Ian Royal Getting rid of a useless manager at the start of the season worked pretty well for Sunderland when they appointed Roy Keane didn't it? They'd lost 4 on the bounce early doors and he came in and took them up.

Going purely on memory here, didn't it take Roy Keane quite a few games to turn it around? Well - not enough to stop them going up but I don't recall it being instantaneous. And anyway, wasn't Niall Quinn just caretaking until they found someone who actually wanted the job - someone whom he and his consortium would give a big pot of cash to?

If those that would sack Rodgers early were mostly saying 'wait and see until January', I'd be less inclined to consider them short-termists. However, most (or at least the most vocal portion) of the people that way inclined on this board seem to want him to go immediately. I'm quite old-fashioned in how I think football clubs should be run, and I don't want to see Reading become the sort of club who are paying off two or three managers at the same time because of impatience and a pigheaded notion that we have a divine right to rapid success. Fortunately, I don't think the chairman is somebody who would think a completely new face with exactly the same resources is a lesser risk than allowing a man (one who clearly wants the team to advance, and wants this in a personal as well as professional capacity) time to steady the course.

Finally, and this will invariably wind somebody up, I'd be happy with with merely avoiding relegation this season - but if we do go down, for me it will be the least disappointing relegation I've experienced over 20 years of following Reading (signing of the lump of Baltic driftwood aside).

Look at the vote ffs. 7 of about 90 want him gone immediately. There is a more significant group (which I'm in) that aren't willing to just give him until xams / january regardless. I've seen very few calling for his head immediately and all of them are well known idiots or 15 year olds.

We've got a lot of games before then. If he loses all of them it's too late. Of course that is an extreme example. But we need to pick up points and we could quite conceivably still be in single figures after the next 5 games. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we were after the Peterborough performance.

With the squad we have we can't afford to wait until we're cut adrift. We have a lot of new and young players. It's unlikely they are going to have the experience and mental strength to grab games by the neck and turn us around if we're significantly off the pace of 18/19/20 by the time we did get a new manager if Rodgers doesn't turn things around.

Currently I'd be happy with avoiding relegation as well, though I wouldn't be impressed if it was a close run thing, because it really shouldn't be. The resources we have should see us lower midtable and Rodgers, IMO, is currently misusing and mismanaging them. I have little confidence that if we're in a relegation fight, we'll survive it under him.

A lot of us are just preparing for the worst. Obviously we hope we'll pick up results, and we're certainly capable of coming good. But the big question is will we? There has not been a final decision made, but for many, the sands of time are running low in the hourglass of Rodgers Management at RFC.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Sep 2009 20:06

Stranded
weybridgewanderer

The obvious comeback to that is who is to say they wouldn't have done so anyway?

you can't have it both ways, you can't ask to show who has stayed up by changing their manager and when given a couple of examples then say how do you know they wouldn't have stayed up anyway.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Sep 2009 21:46

Ian Royal Just because some people aren't happy with Rodgers and are suggesting he could be out on his ear in the not too distant future, does not mean that they are short-termist. There is after all no point in giving a manager a whole season to relegate you, when he is clearly producing nothing. Especially when you should finish safely mid-table whilst rebuilding.

Spot on Ian. We did that with Bullivant, or have you all short memories!

Like Bullivant, BR's teams do in patches, in some games, give a glimpse of something positive, but the problem is these glimpses are few and far between at present.

Perhaps if BR showed a bit more humility and recognised that he himself is a very VERY green young manager, in his first full season, cuts out the Billy Big Bollox Bullshit and Ron Manager cliches that he seems to spout at the drop of a hat, he MIGHT just get the slack he needs from the rabid hoards calling for his head.

Respect cuts both ways BR. Get your head down, less talk and more work!

123 posts