RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Oct 2009 22:57

Its sad really. He's a reading lad through and through - He's going to be hurting and I wish some of the foul mouth tirades would cut out. Fair enough, you might want him gone - but you know he wants to be successful and for us to come good. Contrary to popular belief he's not got an ego so I don't know why I am seeing these comments in that nature. Trying to remain positive when everything around you is falling apart is not having an ego. He's been put into a very, very hard job and doesn't have much managerial experience at all - its his own fault for accepting but it wasn't the right time.

So, he's seen the majority of the first team sold, I can't work out whether this is because of pressure from madejski or just rogders living in a dreamland thinking we could get away with it. However, you can't get rid of a cemented squad and bring in youngsters and random journeyman and expect it to work so quickly. We had a brick by brick process at this club - why did we knock it down with a sledge hammer?

This group of players are awful - I mean that. This group of players is probably worse than the one's we were relegated from elm park with. Back then we had at least a nucleus of a side and with Lambert and meaker we had some sort of shape down the wings with asaba and morley up front who could score goals. Fair enough, that side wasn't great but it had shape, effort and we occasionally played well, inconsistency and failure to beat the lesser sides sent us down. There were some good performances that season so going down sucked. I remember we outplayed forest, brayson hit the post and they scored a goal against the run of play - story of our season really.
When I think back to the team that got promoted back to div one years later - it is 4/5 times better than this. Again, we had SHAPE, quality and a strikers capable of penetrating defences. Forster, butler and cureton were a handful and if those three were back in their primes they would walk into this side.

I look at this side, the club and where we are and sadly I see no light at the end of the tunnel under the current regime. Madejski for all he's done for us needs to go. John, your time is up - we respect you for where you've put this club and you have earned your right in readings history books forever, please don't tarnish it now.

One thing makes me laugh. I remember those of us calling for us to invest in the squad throughout the prem years and last season. There were cries of " we'll do a Bradford, leeds or southampton you morons, god you pessimists get a grip" bla bla bla.

Well, guess what guys - we are doing a leeds, bradford and southampton - but without the spending part. Sad isn't it? They were forced into their situations, we had control over ours.

Rodgers isn't the man to take us forward, but madejski won't sack him for a while. Its grin and bear it times im afraid. January could be an interesting month.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Oct 2009 22:59

He manned up, showed how hurt he was and showed real passion. He has my backing till his last game,and ive never wanted anyone to turn it round so much. The players need to step up,and show the fight,balls and quality required for 90 mins ffs. Pointless sacking him yet. Jm needs to back him in the loan market,and the fans need to show the club the same passion he showed on monday. oxf*rd u all.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 20 Oct 2009 22:59

Mid to late to September we were picking up the odd point, playing quite well but not getting the results.

I think we should have tried to stay a bit more consistent. Instead Rodgers has made major changes game by game and now we look proper shite.

Go back to a similar team we had out in the Cardiff and Watford games. At least we were competing.

I would play this against Leicester.

4-4-2

Hamer
Tabb
Mills
O'Dea
Bertrand
Sig
Karacan
Howard
McAnuff
Rasiak
Long

clauski

by clauski » 20 Oct 2009 22:59

Super Kevin Bremner!
clauski
Super Kevin Bremner!
Tue 20 20:00 A QPR FLC L 1-4
Nine goals in last 2 games with a well above average Champ. squad

This is a wind-up surely? This is the most ridiculous stat I've seen - they've actually scored 8 in the last 2 and 4 of them were against us tonight! Think how many Leicester will have scored in their last two games when they put 5 past us on Monday!!

5-2 Barnsley
4-0 Preston

Ridiculous indeed.

My mistake, I forgot that their 2-0 defeat at Swansea and 1-1 draw with Newcastle inbetween these games were excluded from your stat. Sorry! :)

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 20 Oct 2009 23:00

I have great deal of sympathy for BR, he took the job in his belief that he could do it, but the clearout has just been too much, many areas of blame, Madejski, fr me is the main culprit, he employed a man with minimal experience, yet again choosing the cheap option. I just want to hear Madejski come out and say how he sees this comical attempt at football to be the footprint back to the premier league, something I honestly believe he wants about as much as a shot in the head.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Oct 2009 23:01

Good post FineRain although I don't agree with all of it particularly Michael Meaker.
If this run continues for much longer I think Rodgers will be gone sooner than you think.
I think he should go now but if by some miracle he can turn it around from here it would be brilliant...but I can't see it happening. Not now.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Oct 2009 23:01

Basingstoke Royal Mid to late to September we were picking up the odd point, playing quite well but not getting the results.

I think we should have tried to stay a bit more consistent. Instead Rodgers has made major changes game by game and now we look proper shite.

Go back to a similar team we had out in the Cardiff and Watford games. At least we were competing.

I would play this against Leicester.

4-4-2

Hamer
Tabb
Mills
O'Dea
Bertrand
Sig
Karacan
Howard
McAnuff
Rasiak
Long

Agreed - he needs to keep a settled team even if we are getting beat regularly. It's all about consistency and how are we going to develop that when he's changing it around so much?

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 20 Oct 2009 23:02

Clauski

So I missed the word 'Home' amongst my well thought out reasoned arguments.

Ridiculous.

What have you brought to this?

Woking Royal

by Woking Royal » 20 Oct 2009 23:03

I am a previous long term season ticket holder who gave it up at the end of last season having been bored to tears watching utter tripe for most of the season. i have come on here tonight to guage the mood, which as expected resembles a lynching party.

Am I alone in doubting whether changing manager at thi stage can have any impact at all? We are stuck with this squad for the forseeable (well till the January window anyway) and at the end of the day it is surely obvious that we do not have the players to compete in what is a seriously competitive division.

Are the results really any much worse than Steve Coppells were for large portions of his time here? And SC clearly was, and presumably still is, a highly competent Manager who delivered a record breaking season.

Below us are Darren Ferguson & Roy Keane, 2 of the games supposed bright young stars, one of which we apparently wanted at one stage.

No, I am sorry, this whole fall from grace has to be laid squarely at JM's feet. A lack of wise investment, and I suspect a waning lack of enthusiasm for the team. And who can blame him maybe?

It is all well and good fans ranting about the investment & success, but when you consider we did not even sell out the play off second leg last season, you do have to question the whole basis for our apparent right to be in this division, let alone aspiring to be Premiership material.

it was great while it lasted, but I fear this club is now finding it's level after a period of extraordinary good fortune & success, built largely on spiralling confidence, and punching well above our weight. Sadly, that confidence has now well and truly evaporated, and it is maybe time for a reality check.

Blaming BR for all of this? I am not at all sure that is right or fair.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Oct 2009 23:03

Btw are Ipswich going to get rid of Keane - 0 wins in 13 games now? :|

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 20 Oct 2009 23:04

I know Brendan picks the team so is ultimately responsible. But as has already been stated numerous times before, the rot had well and truly set in by the end of Steve's reign and that was always going to take a while to sort out no matter who took over. I'm not saying Brendan is the right man for the job but he deserves a bit more time to try and prove himself for all our sakes.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 20 Oct 2009 23:04

Woking Royal I am a previous long term season ticket holder who gave it up at the end of last season having been bored to tears watching utter tripe for most of the season. i have come on here tonight to guage the mood, which as expected resembles a lynching party.

Am I alone in doubting whether changing manager at thi stage can have any impact at all? We are stuck with this squad for the forseeable (well till the January window anyway) and at the end of the day it is surely obvious that we do not have the players to compete in what is a seriously competitive division.

Are the results really any much worse than Steve Coppells were for large portions of his time here? And SC clearly was, and presumably still is, a highly competent Manager who delivered a record breaking season.

Below us are Darren Ferguson & Roy Keane, 2 of the games supposed bright young stars, one of which we apparently wanted at one stage.

No, I am sorry, this whole fall from grace has to be laid squarely at JM's feet. A lack of wise investment, and I suspect a waning lack of enthusiasm for the team. And who can blame him maybe?

It is all well and good fans ranting about the investment & success, but when you consider we did not even sell out the play off second leg last season, you do have to question the whole basis for our apparent right to be in this division, let alone aspiring to be Premiership material.

it was great while it lasted, but I fear this club is now finding it's level after a period of extraordinary good fortune & success, built largely on spiralling confidence, and punching well above our weight. Sadly, that confidence has now well and truly evaporated, and it is maybe time for a reality check.

Blaming BR for all of this? I am not at all sure that is right or fair.

You are not alone.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Oct 2009 23:04

I have not given up hope yet. We have 3 of our next 4 at home - all winnable and Coventry away - also winnable. We have just played Preston, Boro, West Brom and QPR in a row (all potential top 6) and have 3 points - which is more than some thought we would get from those 4 games.

I am giving BR until the end of the next sequence of 4 games but IMO we need 6/7 points minimum. Anything less and I suspect his time is up.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Oct 2009 23:05

13 league games in

5 changes to the starting line up tonight

kinda says everything you need to know.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 Oct 2009 23:05

howser yet again choosing the cheap option.

how on earth is the best part of a million pounds compensation to Watford the cheap option?

I'd put him down as probably one of the most expensive options amongst the candidates who applied

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 20 Oct 2009 23:06

FiNeRain: I won't hear a good word said about the team that got relegated from this division last time: truly terrible, worse than the present lot. It's no good quoting the legendary Forest game, which was the one isolated win in a dismal sequence, and against a side a man down. Nor was that team the same one that Bullivant had been playing. Meaker and Lambert did not often play. Asaba and Morley were no longer the players they had been, and were incapable of scoring. We also had two full backs as porous as Cummings. There was no hope that that team could improve, whereas there is hope that this one can.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 20 Oct 2009 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 20 Oct 2009 23:07

PEARCEY Good post FineRain although I don't agree with all of it particularly Michael Meaker.
If this run continues for much longer I think Rodgers will be gone sooner than you think.
I think he should go now but if by some miracle he can turn it around from here it would be brilliant...but I can't see it happening. Not now.

Meaker blended though and compared to Kebe... well you know the answer

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Oct 2009 23:08

PEARCEY
winchester_royal Interesting stuff there SKB, and does put it slightly into perspective. We've had a tough run of games, and TBF to Rodgers he should probably get the next 4 games to see if he can sort it out.

Before tonight I would agree with giving him another four games...but conceding two goals against 10 men...that really hurts.

To be fair, only the second was where the "only 10 men" charge can be levelled.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Oct 2009 23:09

facaldaqui FiNeRain: I won't hear a good word said about the team that got relegated from this division last time: truly terrible, worse than the present lot. It's no good quoting the forest game, which was the one isolated win in a dismal sequence, and against a side a man down. Nor was that team the same one that Bullivant had been playing. Meaker and Lambert did not often play. Asaba and Morley were no longer the players they had been, and were incapable of scoring. We also had two full backs as porous as Cummings. There was no hope that that team could improve, whereas there is hope that this one can.

We hammered sunderland 4-0, we beat man city, charlton and west brom amongst others. Shock results. How can you say this team has hope? I'd take that team over this one any day - we have no strikers.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Oct 2009 23:11

Skbs review of those games is 100 percent spot on. Good to see some support for the lad on here.

467 posts