Re: Ingimarsson rejects a new contract offer from Reading

by The whole year inn » 27 Nov 2009 09:08

I'd back a stroke victim in a wheelchair to turn faster than Alex Pearce

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 27 Nov 2009 09:27

The whole year inn
Royalee I get to nearly all games...it's funny because people who don't post on here all think Pearce is a decent player.

What? You cant call on imaginary people to back up your arguments :lol:

:lol: No, but I will. I've seen most of Alex's games, and I still think he's a huge prospect - he is good in the air and a decent reader of the game, and packs a really good crunching tackle. Yes, he lacks pace, which can be embarassing at times. But he's still young and very inexperienced, so as his (already reasonable) positional sense and ball-playing (hopefully) improve, he will be a major asset to us. And that's from a position where he's already probably as good as at least 40% of the centre-backs in this division. In the meantime we probably do need to surround him by reasonably pacy defenders, which is why I'm disappointed we are not making more of O'Dea. It would be a pity if we lost O'Dea before season's end, and I'll be sad to see Ingi go in the summer, especially as he can teach Pearce a thing or two about anticipation. But Alex and Mills are the way forward, and we'll have plenty time to bring in backup in the summer.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Nov 2009 10:17

re Alex Pearce, and everyone else for that matter. Sir Geoffrey Boycott may well have said that you can't put in what God left out.

As far as Ingi is concerned, plus the overall quality of our defence this season, there must be players out there that can make us stronger. It is too early to say whether Pearce and Mills will be successful. We also have Ingi until the end of this season so no need to panic there either. My concern is the distinct lack of cover and quality. You can get away with one slow CB. 2 slow ones? Don't make me laugh! Sonks covered Ingi for pace whereas Ingi covered Sonks when it came to the basics. Thats why they worked so well. This is one reason why defensively we have been a shambles this season.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 27 Nov 2009 10:41

Barry the bird boggler
brendywendy just cant believe it came down to money for ivar. :cry:

Perhaps it isn't - the other idiot idea this club has is that if you're over 30 you only get a 1 year deal if anything which is something else I'd like to see go along with the chairman....

Agreed. Personally I can see the club's reticence to offer players like Ingi a 2-year contract, given his age, form and recent injury. And I can also see why Ingi would rather go somewhere that gaurentees him an income for more than a year. I'll be very sad to see him go, but it's probably one of those inevitable things about a player approaching that age at a time when the club is...erm... renewing itself.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 27 Nov 2009 11:57

brendywendy just cant believe it came down to money for ivar. :cry:

I suspect that one factor involved in his decision is that the current dressing room no longer gives him the same buzz that he felt in earlier Reading teams. After all he is the only regular left from the glory days.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Nov 2009 12:05

i know, im just resistant to change!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Nov 2009 12:27

In the games I've seen this season Pearce has been vastly superior in the air than Ivar. Ivar's now getting turned more and more easily as well.

Ivar is a technically superior player, but our defence has been most organised with Pearce in the team. I'm not a Pearce lover, I don't think he'll ever be Premier League quality, unlike many of his fans. But I do think he is currently our best bet at centreback.

The more he plays the better he'll get and the fewer mistakes he'll make. He's on the rise and Ivar the decline. I'd rather not pair them, because neither is quick.

Disagree if you want, it's all about perception and opinion. But anyone suggesting we get rid of (or drop) Ivar now without a replacement is just as stupid as someone saying Pearce is and has been shit and should be dropped.

They're the pair at the moment and we're improving, no need to change until Mills or O'Dea force themselves in or one has an abysmal game. Ivar being the player who has had the most recent abysmal game as far as I'm concerned. He was truely woeful at QPR.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 Nov 2009 12:51

Ivar's had to come back from an injury that's kept him out for over six months though, hasn't he?

Pablo

by Pablo » 27 Nov 2009 13:50

Great servant and I hope he signs for another year.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Nov 2009 13:59

Royalee
londinium Have to totallly disagree... Pearce is a complete and utter liabilty...he is crap in the air, not very fast and has the positional sence and awareness of a cheesecake. Ivar may have had a couple of bad games this season but remember he was injured for a long period. Pearce hasn't had a couple of good games and has been at fault for more goals individually than any other player by a long way.

Ivar may not be the force of old but I would rate him above Pearce at the moment... infact I would rate both Mills and O'dea above Pearce too.

I'm at a loss as to where Pearce has been 'crap in the air' or has has 'the positional sense and awareness of a cheesecake'...do you actually get to games?

Agree with Royalee here; Pearce's strengths - and for all the rubbishing of him on this thread, he does have some strengths - are his ability to read the game and his aerial ability.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 27 Nov 2009 14:08

floyd__streete
Royalee
londinium Have to totallly disagree... Pearce is a complete and utter liabilty...he is crap in the air, not very fast and has the positional sence and awareness of a cheesecake. Ivar may have had a couple of bad games this season but remember he was injured for a long period. Pearce hasn't had a couple of good games and has been at fault for more goals individually than any other player by a long way.

Ivar may not be the force of old but I would rate him above Pearce at the moment... infact I would rate both Mills and O'dea above Pearce too.

I'm at a loss as to where Pearce has been 'crap in the air' or has has 'the positional sense and awareness of a cheesecake'...do you actually get to games?

Agree with Royalee here; Pearce's strengths - and for all the rubbishing of him on this thread, he does have some strengths - are his ability to read the game and his aerial ability.

I might hand it to you that he is average in the air, BUT 'read the game'... you are completely joking.... i can honestly say that I think he is one of the worst readers of the game I have ever seen for a centre back. I am not just rubbishing him for the sake of it as I like the bloke and think he has some potential but has too many negatives to be considered to be a main stay as centre back in the mold of either Ivar or Williams et al.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Nov 2009 14:16

londinium I am not just rubbishing him for the sake of it as I like the bloke and think he has some potential but has too many negatives to be considered to be a main stay as centre back in the mold of either Ivar or Williams et al.

I am tending to agree with you in all honesty. I think that he does have some strengths as a defender, but his performances this season have been patchy at best and he has not filled me with much confidence in him. I still think that he reads a game pretty well; like Ivar, he is pretty adept at - for instance - stepping up and cutting out an attempt at a through ball. Gets turned with consumate ease far too often for my liking.....again, a bit like Ivar.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Nov 2009 14:56

Ian Royal In the games I've seen this season Pearce has been vastly superior in the air than Ivar. Ivar's now getting turned more and more easily as well.

Ivar is a technically superior player, but our defence has been most organised with Pearce in the team. I'm not a Pearce lover, I don't think he'll ever be Premier League quality, unlike many of his fans. But I do think he is currently our best bet at centreback.

The more he plays the better he'll get and the fewer mistakes he'll make. He's on the rise and Ivar the decline. I'd rather not pair them, because neither is quick.

Disagree if you want, it's all about perception and opinion. But anyone suggesting we get rid of (or drop) Ivar now without a replacement is just as stupid as someone saying Pearce is and has been shit and should be dropped.

They're the pair at the moment and we're improving, no need to change until Mills or O'Dea force themselves in or one has an abysmal game. Ivar being the player who has had the most recent abysmal game as far as I'm concerned. He was truely woeful at QPR.

personally id have preferred mills/odea in there too

but the two incumbents were fortunate to be paired for our upturn in form, and should stay until injury or a drop in form dictates a change IMO

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Nov 2009 16:55

How old is Pearce, he's young and I think he'll improve.
I'd prefer a 21 yr old Ivar, but that's impossible.

Pearce is alright.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Nov 2009 17:04

IcelandicStokie Ivar Ingimarsson has rejceted a new contract offer
Don't blame him to be honest, I'm going to reject the offer to renew my season ticket for the same reasons.

IcelandicStokie ]He's fallen in quality over the last 2 years so the loss will be minimum in players quality I would suggest.
I wish I had that much faith in Brendan Rogers ability to replace key players with equal or better replacements.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Nov 2009 18:10

Forbury Lion
IcelandicStokie Ivar Ingimarsson has rejceted a new contract offer
Don't blame him to be honest, I'm going to reject the offer to renew my season ticket for the same reasons.

IcelandicStokie ]He's fallen in quality over the last 2 years so the loss will be minimum in players quality I would suggest.
I wish I had that much faith in Brendan Rogers ability to replace key players with equal or better replacements.

Have all his signings so far been rubbish then?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 27 Nov 2009 18:27

Centre-backs get injured - imagine Pearce's pace if he was coming back from an injury :?

The guy is a dope and only in the team as Rodgers made some sort of commitment to play youth.

1000 people that dont post on here agree with what I just wrote

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Nov 2009 18:32

Jamie Carragher and John Terry are both very slow...does that mean they're automatically 'dopes' and crap defenders? The low level of thought behind some of the posting on here is hilarious.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Nov 2009 18:37

Royalee Jamie Carragher and John Terry are both very slow...does that mean they're automatically 'dopes' and crap defenders? The low level of thought behind some of the posting on here is hilarious.

Pearce is never going to get close to their level imho.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Nov 2009 18:49

No, but the principle is the same.

144 posts