we want Sir Steve Back

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: we want Sir Steve Back

by 1871 Royal » 17 Dec 2009 12:53

Don't really want him back to be honest. He has done so much for this club and if he wern't able to turn it around I would hate to see his RFC history in tatters.

Blue_Elm

by Blue_Elm » 17 Dec 2009 12:55

1871 Royal Don't really want him back to be honest. He has done so much for this club and if he wern't able to turn it around I would hate to see his RFC history in tatters.

If he failed he'd still be a hero. The fault would lie with the Chairman

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Dec 2009 12:59

Blue_Elm
1871 Royal Don't really want him back to be honest. He has done so much for this club and if he wern't able to turn it around I would hate to see his RFC history in tatters.

If he failed he'd still be a hero. The fault would lie with the Chairman

Idiot.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 17 Dec 2009 13:06

Crystal Palace (first spell; 1984-1993)
In June 1984, Coppell became manager of Crystal Palace. Aged just 28 years and 10 months upon his appointment, he became the youngest person to ever manage a club in the Football League. Coppell made budget signings of unwanted players from the First Division, as well as signing Ian Wright from non-league football. With this the team's fortunes greatly improved, and Palace won promotion to the top division through the play-offs in 1989. Palace stayed in the top flight for four seasons, and also reached the FA Cup Final in 1990, losing to Manchester United on a replay, after Coppell's inspired substitution of bringing on Ian Wright nearly won the first game for Palace.

Their semi-final victory over Liverpool perhaps made up for the 9-0 drubbing that they had received in a league match at Anfield early in the season. The following season, Crystal Palace finished in third place (their highest ever league finish) and won their first major trophy, the Zenith Data Systems Cup. The club's fortunes declined after that, and in May 1993, Coppell resigned after they were relegated from the Premier League. However, his name was linked with the England national coach's job six months later when Graham Taylor resigned, but he swiftly ruled out any interest in the job.

[edit] Crystal Palace (second spell; 1995-1996)
Coppell returned to Palace in June 1995 as Director of Football, with Ray Lewington and Peter Nicholas working alongside him as first team coaches. In February 1996, Dave Bassett was appointed manager and the club reached the final of the First Division Play-Offs where they lost 2-1 to Leicester City after extra time.

[edit] Manchester City (1996)
Coppell left Palace in October 1996 to become manager of Manchester City, a job that he would quit after only six games and 33 days in charge. He cited the pressure of the job as his reason for leaving the club.[3] His reign at the club is the shortest of any City manager to date.

[edit] Crystal Palace (third spell; 1997-1998)
After leaving Manchester City, Coppell returned to Palace as a scout. Following the resignation of manager Dave Bassett in February 1997, [b]Coppell was promoted once again to the role of manager. He secured another promotion via the play-offs, and he remained in charge of the club for the first seven months of the 1997-98 season. A boardroom takeover led to him again becoming Director of Football and the club being relegated again, with Terry Venables being appointed first team manager.
[/b]

[edit] Crystal Palace (fourth spell; 1999-2000)
Following the resignation of manager Terry Venables in January 1999, Coppell once again returned as the manager of Palace. By that time the club had severe financial problems and with relegation seeming a realistic possibility, he guided the club to respectable finishes of 14th and 15th in the league. In the 2000 close season Simon Jordan bought the club and replaced Coppell with Alan Smith, who had taken over from Coppell on his first resignation seven years earlier.

All in all, Coppell's exploits in SE25, from promotion to the Cup Final, to third place, even to First Division survival made him a favourite, and in 2005, he was voted as the manager for Palace's Centenary XI

i would settle for that.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 Dec 2009 13:22

londinium Crystal Palace (first spell; 1984-1993)
In June 1984, Coppell became manager of Crystal Palace. Aged just 28 years and 10 months upon his appointment, he became the youngest person to ever manage a club in the Football League. Coppell made budget signings of unwanted players from the First Division, as well as signing Ian Wright from non-league football. With this the team's fortunes greatly improved, and Palace won promotion to the top division through the play-offs in 1989. Palace stayed in the top flight for four seasons, and also reached the FA Cup Final in 1990, losing to Manchester United on a replay, after Coppell's inspired substitution of bringing on Ian Wright nearly won the first game for Palace.

Their semi-final victory over Liverpool perhaps made up for the 9-0 drubbing that they had received in a league match at Anfield early in the season. The following season, Crystal Palace finished in third place (their highest ever league finish) and won their first major trophy, the Zenith Data Systems Cup. The club's fortunes declined after that, and in May 1993, Coppell resigned after they were relegated from the Premier League. However, his name was linked with the England national coach's job six months later when Graham Taylor resigned, but he swiftly ruled out any interest in the job.

Coppell returned to Palace in June 1995 as Director of Football, with Ray Lewington and Peter Nicholas working alongside him as first team coaches. In February 1996, Dave Bassett was appointed manager and the club reached the final of the First Division Play-Offs where they lost 2-1 to Leicester City after extra time.

Coppell left Palace in October 1996 to become manager of Manchester City, a job that he would quit after only six games and 33 days in charge. He cited the pressure of the job as his reason for leaving the club.[3] His reign at the club is the shortest of any City manager to date.

After leaving Manchester City, Coppell returned to Palace as a scout. Following the resignation of manager Dave Bassett in February 1997, [b]Coppell was promoted once again to the role of manager. He secured another promotion via the play-offs, and he remained in charge of the club for the first seven months of the 1997-98 season. A boardroom takeover led to him again becoming Director of Football and the club being relegated again, with Terry Venables being appointed first team manager.
[/b]

Following the resignation of manager Terry Venables in January 1999, Coppell once again returned as the manager of Palace. By that time the club had severe financial problems and with relegation seeming a realistic possibility, he guided the club to respectable finishes of 14th and 15th in the league. In the 2000 close season Simon Jordan bought the club and replaced Coppell with Alan Smith, who had taken over from Coppell on his first resignation seven years earlier.

All in all, Coppell's exploits in SE25, from promotion to the Cup Final, to third place, even to First Division survival made him a favourite, and in 2005, he was voted as the manager for Palace's Centenary XI

i would settle for that.

BUT:

Rule number 1. Never go back!

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 17 Dec 2009 13:28

rhroyal
londinium Crystal Palace (first spell; 1984-1993)

[/b]

i would settle for that.

BUT:

Rule number 1. Never go back!

Rule No. 1 - Don't get RELEGATED!!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2009 13:29

But if he's shown he can go back and have decent success....

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Dec 2009 13:32

It's too early: he'd be too loyal to the players he signed, such as Kebe. But I'd like to see him come back in a few years time. He pointedly didn't rule that out when he left.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Dec 2009 13:42

Royalee 'Is Royalee crying?' hypocritical bint. You can do one and so can the rest of Coppell's hero worshippers, part of me wants to see him come back - I'd look forward to what a lot of you morons make of League 1, but then again you'd probably still come up with a way to blame that on Rodgers.

I think I can hazard a guess at your line of argument if Coppell did come back

Coppell does well - 'he's got lucky its only because of Rodgers that reading are doing well'

If Coppell did badly 'Its all Coppells fault'

To save us these tiresome arguments now could you put on record noe whether Rodgers tenure will impact on the next manager - either yes or no will do.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Dec 2009 13:53

Having been the one to start of the car park stuff I am in the camp of RL, SC did wonders at RFC, however I would hate to see that tarnished after the turmoil this summer.

There were big problems at RFC after early Jan last season, and Copps managed us through them to the play-offs, and within one win against Brum for auto, I so wish that we had beaten brum, because I firmly believe that Coppell had plans for his new team here, starting with some of the youngsters that are now part of the squad.

I think that Coppell would be a great mentor for a young manager, and might well have moved upstairs had we gone up, allowing him the break from the game he needed, after all no need to be around all the time then.

As I think about it the only way I would like to see him back is in that capacity, though could we afford him and fergie jnr on the new wage structure.

I once before put forward Giggsy as player manager, that would still be a colossal move.