The curse of the Futchers

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

The curse of the Futchers

by Dirk Gently » 22 Jan 2010 07:50

Discovered something today that I didn't know about the Futchers, who of course are on our hate list after Ron breaking Martin Hicks's jaw with an elbow in 1986.

It seems that as well as the two brothers there was also a sister - who had a son, called Danny Murphy, who scored at Fulham to relegate us.

What is it about that family?!? :twisted:

Comfortably Numb

Re: The curse of the Futchers

by Comfortably Numb » 22 Jan 2010 08:34

our futcher is bleak

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 22 Jan 2010 09:04

was it an elbow? or was it a blatant punch, my memory decieves me....

I remember Paul Futcher getting hoffific abuse whenever he played at Elm Park after that despite his brother doing the deed!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Jan 2010 09:22

If you all hate Futcher clap your hands, ccchh ccchh. It seemed to make no difference which one it was!

I had no idea about Danny Murphy. Obv he should now be dispised by us all.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Jan 2010 09:44

I had no idea about Murphy connection, either. Futcher. Mop headed muppet. Meh.

What was worse: Futcher's decking of Hicky or Kelly Haag's assault on Tom Jones?

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 22 Jan 2010 09:45

Dirk Gently Discovered something today that I didn't know about the Futchers, who of course are on our hate list after Ron breaking Martin Hicks's jaw with an elbow in 1986.

It seems that as well as the two brothers there was also a sister - who had a son, called Danny Murphy, who scored at Fulham to relegate us.

What is it about that family?!? :twisted:

A very interesting fact. How we could do with either of those guys in our team at the moment to give us a bit of bite!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 22 Jan 2010 09:47

Who was hated most Ron Futcher or Clive 'Flasher' Walker?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2010 10:17

I remember that. Against Barnsley in 86/87?

Ron Futcher was absolutely hated. He was public enemy #1. His brother Paul always copped for the abuse but it was a bit more subtle and along the lines of "You're brother is a w@nker".

Flasher Walker? Naaaah. Just a pathetic figure of ridicule IMHO.

I didn't know about Danny Murphy. Him scoring the goal to put us down is sufficient to despise him.

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 22 Jan 2010 11:37

Terminal Boardom I remember that. Against Barnsley in 86/87?

Ron Futcher was absolutely hated. He was public enemy #1. His brother Paul always copped for the abuse but it was a bit more subtle and along the lines of "You're brother is a w@nker".

Flasher Walker? Naaaah. Just a pathetic figure of ridicule IMHO.

I didn't know about Danny Murphy. Him scoring the goal to put us down is sufficient to despise him.

As far as I remember it, Ron decked Hicksy whilst playing for Bradford then the following week Paul turned up at Elm Park playing for Barnsley where the Southbank managed to wind him up to such an extent (with the help of, a blatant assault on/little bit of 'professionalism' from, Super Trev) that he was sent off.

The best bit was he seemed to have no idea why he was taking so much grief !!!

I never liked Murphy before and this certainly has not made him go up in my estimations.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Jan 2010 12:44

Focher Who was hated most Ron Futcher or Clive 'Flasher' Walker?

Clive Wilkes.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 22 Jan 2010 12:51

I remember Trevor Senior getting Paul Futcher sent off with a great bit of play acting shortly after Ron Futcher (vermin) had broken Hicks' jaw. Didn't realise Danny Murphy was their nephew though.

Clive Walker was just funny - one of my favourite awayday memories was when he skied that penalty into the away end at Craven Cottage as we all taunted him with chants of 'Flasher'!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Jan 2010 14:45

I still hate him.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 22 Jan 2010 16:24

I have a tale regarding 'Flasher' Walker. Away game at Craven Cottage in the early 90's - Reading won 2-1 if memory serves me right. Fulham were awarded a penalty which good old Clive looked to take. Seeing that I was in my mid teens, I was waving my arms whilst wearing my flared jeans and hooded top (this before the latter was deemed to be the fall of society). 'Flasher' wellied it over the bar, only to smack me full in the face as it made its way through the away end!!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 22 Jan 2010 16:26

Gandalf Presley I have a tale regarding 'Flasher' Walker. Away game at Craven Cottage in the early 90's - Reading won 2-1 if memory serves me right. Fulham were awarded a penalty which good old Clive looked to take. Seeing that I was in my mid teens, I was waving my arms whilst wearing my flared jeans and hooded top (this before the latter was deemed to be the fall of society). 'Flasher' wellied it over the bar, only to smack me full in the face as it made its way through the away end!!

G8 story and g8 username

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 23 Jan 2010 09:19

I still can't hear the name Clive Walker without chanting 'Child molester, rapist, hang him hang him hang him.' in my head.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 23 Jan 2010 09:35

Clive Walker was never hated. Just cheerfully vilified.

I remember a a game at EP in the early nineties with Paul Futcher playing. When the teams went off for half time C stand were on their feet hurling abuse at Futcher. I'd never saw them that animated about anything before.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 24 Jan 2010 19:51

Wasn't there a Ben Futcher who played for Lincoln or Bury down here who also copped dogs abuse and was related?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Jan 2010 20:14

I think we need to develop a definitive RFC hate list. Can I also add Joe Allon and Jon 'Elbows' Gittens.

http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/oppo ... telist.htm

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Jan 2010 01:12

Fox Talbot Wasn't there a Ben Futcher who played for Lincoln or Bury down here who also copped dogs abuse and was related?

Ben (28) is Paul Futcher's son and currently still playing Bury - be great to play against him so we could all sing your uncle is a ******

Ron (now 53) was playing for Oldham at the time and decked Hicks with a forearm smash while the ref was looking the other way. Ron is now coaching youngsters in Florida in the ways of the force.

Just for the record they also had an older brother called Graham who played for Chester where they all started their careers and I think there was another Futcher called Stephen who was related and with Wrexham for a while.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jan 2010 01:22

floyd__streete I think we need to develop a definitive RFC hate list. Can I also add Joe Allon and Jon 'Elbows' Gittens.

http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/oppo ... telist.htm

:lol: Was Spacey guest editing that page?