Royals duo facing summer exit

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Royals duo facing summer exit

by readingbedding » 28 May 2010 14:45

No surprise who, but there are some other bits & bobs in here...

MAREK Matejovsky and Kalifa Cisse could become the highest profile names to leave Reading this summer.

Boss Brian McDermott has confirmed the midfield duo could be surplus to requirements after struggling to hold down a first-team place.

McDermott insists he is not looking to off-load the pair, but he admits there is little point in them staying at the Madejski Stadium if their opportunities are limited.

Matejovsky, 28, made 15 Championship appearances last season while Cisse, 26, made just two more.

The pair both have a year left on their contracts and Royals could command a transfer fee, or allow them to leave on loan to ease the wage bill.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: "Marek and Kalifa are getting to that age now where they need to be playing regularly and they may need to go somewhere else to make that happen.

"We'll see what comes of the situation over the summer but if they are not playing here they may look at other options.

"I don't know if they will go but I will never write off anything in football. The fact is they'll either be playing here next season or for someone else."

McDermott played a key role in recruiting both players while he was chief scout during Steve Coppell's rein. But neither has managed to establish himself as a regular.

McDermott also has plenty of options in central midfield where the pair prefer to play.

Jay Tabb and Brian Howard became the first-choice partnership during the team's storming finish to last season.

Jem Karacan and Brynjar Gunnarsson can also play there, as can Player of the Season Gylfi Sigurdsson who could be poised to extend his contract by a further 12 months until the summer of 2013.

And McDermott conceded Matejovsky and Cisse could move on in the coming weeks: "If they aren't getting games I have to be fair to them," he explained. "They didn't play much last season, though that was partly through injury.

"Marek in particular has had a tough time. He played at Bristol City in my first game as caretaker manager then he came off at half-time with his stomach problem at Plymouth in the next game.

"But he's not had many opportunities. He really needs a run of games and we will do what is best for him and for Kalifa. We'll just have to wait and see."

Meanwhile, Gylfi Sigurdsson admits he would be "stupid" to leave Reading at this stage of his career after signing a new three-year contract.

The 20-year-old hot prospect had been linked with a move to the Premier League after a sensational campaign for the Royals.

The Icelandic youngster smashed in 20 goals last terms to win the club's official, Chronicle-sponsored Player of the Season award.

The Icelandic ace said: "I am playing every week and I am happy to stay for at least another year.

"I signed a new contract just a few months ago, and having been offered a new contract again now, I'd be stupid to go elsewhere.

"I've finally got myself into the team, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and not play or just sit on the bench. I want to play every Saturday and Reading is the right place for me to do that."

Sigurdsson is set to make his senior international debut for Iceland in a friendly against Andorra this weekend.

I was there at Elm Park

Re: Royals duo facing summer exit

by I was there at Elm Park » 28 May 2010 16:00

Typical sensible approach by Brian Mac.

Sounds like he agrees with the majority on here that it would be better for all concerned if they left but knows we might not be able to shift them so is he still leaving them the chance to play themselves back in.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 28 May 2010 18:53

The LOL is truly on us over those two.

Signed for the Premiership, gash in the Championship

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 28 May 2010 19:06

Signed for the Premiership, shit in the Premiership, and gash in the Championship.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 May 2010 20:38

never forget mareks screamer at anfield though

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 28 May 2010 21:19

readingbedding The fact is they'll either be playing here next season or for someone else."

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 May 2010 22:52

Keep Matejovsky.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2010 23:00

LoyalRoyalFan Keep Matejovsky.

No oxf*rd thank you. Doesn't fit our style, doesn't fit the leagues style. Is a luxury player we don't need and can't afford. Done oxf*rd all to prove himself in two and a half years.

Cisse has at least played the games... Even if he's shown himself to be 100% not good enough.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 May 2010 09:58

Both are more than good enough to be playing every week in the Championship, but have never put together a consistent run of games and forced the manager to keep them in the team.

We can't afford to carry players next season, especially senior, experienced pros and I'd agree that it would make sense and free up squad places and wages if we managed to move them both on. McD has worked miracles with other underperforming players but you sense from his comments that he doesn;t believe he can do the same with these two.

Both would leave us with some good memories but a sense of frustration that they never fulfilled their potential in the hoops.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 29 May 2010 10:31

If by unloading the likes of Marek and Cisse it means we are able to acquire Griffin, then that is all positive, in all honesty these two arent going to feature as first team choices next season so a little dealing here and there coulod benefit all parties concerned.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 May 2010 11:07

No surprise really, should command a fee for both of them even if it's a loss on the approximate £1.6 million we paid for them. Both would be remembered with fondness in Harris-towers for two individual moments - Marek's screamer at Anfield and Cisse's screamer at Ashton Gate.

Unfortunately neither has commanded a first team place for an extended period of time, and Cisse in particular's last two appearances have seen him hauled off at half time after being 2-0 down (Notts Forest and Sheff Utd). Marek unfortunately clearly has talent, but carrying a player for a large proportion of any game is a luxury that clubs like Reading can't afford.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 May 2010 11:21

Ideal Good point, but you have to look at the reasons. Long for example was just terribly unfit, due to Rodgers' lack of a fitness regime

LOL. Yeah it was all Rodgers' fault, nothing to do with Long at all.

Marek and Cisse leaving is the most obvious thing ever so I reckon it's barely a news story.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 May 2010 11:30

Maguire
Ideal Good point, but you have to look at the reasons. Long for example was just terribly unfit, due to Rodgers' lack of a fitness regime

LOL. Yeah it was all Rodgers' fault, nothing to do with Long at all.

I've said before that no professional athlete can blame anyone but themselves if they are not fit enough. The players at Reading have the time and facilities to put in as much training as is needed and frankly I don't think there is too much wrong in the manager saying he's going to use the time he has the squad together to work on the technical side of the game.

Having said that I thought Long lost fitness because he was carrying an injury rather than because he couldn;t be bothered putting the work in.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 May 2010 11:37

I fear we are stuck with both of them for another season. Even is we don't ask for a fee, they must be on premiership wages are and aren't good enough for the championship. Matejovsky has probably given a goal away or been substituted against most of the possible English buyers, so who is going to take him off us? Our only hope is that a foreign team in a less competitive league without access to videos and the internet will pick them up, and I presume we have already waited twelve months for that to happen.

Can we cancel both their contracts and pay them off. We should be able to come up with a mutually beneficial compromise: they get a reasoanble pay-off and the chance to join another club for no fee; we don't have to pay huge wages for another year.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 May 2010 11:39

Handsome Man they must be on premiership wages

They won't be. We had a well publicised 40% drop in player's wages when we got relegated. They'll have had the same clause.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 May 2010 11:41

Sun Tzu

They won't be. We had a well publicised 40% drop in player's wages when we got relegated. They'll have had the same clause.

They are on Championship wages then.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 May 2010 11:47

Handsome Man
Sun Tzu

Probably what we'd expect for most of the players !!!

Suspect they'll most likely head home and we won;t look for much of a fee (if any).

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 May 2010 20:15

Handsome Man
Sun Tzu

I think you'll find that revenue drips by significantly more than 40% upon relegation. They are closer to Premiership wages than Championship wages which, combined with the end of our parachute payments, makes the two hard to afford for us.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 29 May 2010 20:41

loyalroyal4life never forget mareks screamer at anfield though

+1 Goal of our Prem years.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 May 2010 01:06

both not good enough and on high wages. Not sure what the debate is about?