Back from the game - Torquay

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Back from the game - Torquay

by Wycombe Royal » 12 Aug 2010 10:55

I'm a bit concerned for all our travelling support last night. Is no-one back yet?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Torquay

by floyd__streete » 12 Aug 2010 11:42

Apart from Compo having a torn scrotum, seems that there was a clean bill of health ultimately at the end of 'wall gate'. Apart from that hilarity, there was precious little to enjoy about the game last night. I will start with the positives - Hamer played very well in goal. At the back Bryn and Pearce looked shakey throughout and I counted no less than 4 last ditch clearances in the first half by our pressured defence. Williams was given the absolute chasing of his life by Torquay's Chris Zebroski, it was harrowing to watch. Howard struggled to impose himself on such a physical game, Kebe looked his disinterested self of old again and Antonio really is just pace and nothing else. Rasiak had an appaling game, appearing to go through the motions of jumping for headers at times. Then he pops up with a wholly undeserved winner, natch.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Aug 2010 11:43

floyd__streete Apart from Compo having a torn scrotum

:shock:

Sex game gone wrong?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Aug 2010 13:48

Well it wasn't fun was it? 120 minutes of tedium interspersed with Guy Branston hoofs and then an ultimately undeserved winner. Cue pandemonium at the front sparked off by said winner, Alex Pearce going nuts, and then the perimeter wall collapsing breaking a Torbay Windows advertisement. According to Alan Partridge in the home stand it sounded like a shotgun going off.

Positives: clean sheet (just), good amount of fight in the face of a pretty damn good Torquay side and a willingness to go for 120 minutes, and the level of territory we had second half onwards was pretty good. 761 fans turning up for a day out at the seaside, a funfair, football on the beach, and one of the best haddock, chips and gravy I've ever had. That really was it.

Negatives: a complete lack of mobility and movement up front resulting in an extraordinary amount of long balls pumped to Rasiak who won absolutely nothing in the air all game against Branston. A distinct lack of pace and mobility at the back from Pearce and Gunnarsson, both of whom looked very shaky against Benyon and Kee. Marcus Williams was owned by Chris Zebroski so much that Zebroski could have placed a hotel on him if he wanted to.

Torquay's performance came as no surprise to me having seen them a few times last season, they really are a pretty damn good side who's league placing for the majority of last season belied their true ability.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 12 Aug 2010 13:53

havoc

by havoc » 12 Aug 2010 14:14

no surprise to see this motley crew trying to score a cheap win with some finger wagging @ Torquay :roll:

STAR need to be getting their own house in order before wasting time with this

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Aug 2010 15:31

Well they say all in all it's just a, load of pricks through the wall.

Magnus

by Magnus » 12 Aug 2010 16:46

havoc

no surprise to see this motley crew trying to score a cheap win with some finger wagging @ Torquay :roll:

STAR need to be getting their own house in order before wasting time with this

I only hope STAR have more clout at TUFC than they do at RFC.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 12 Aug 2010 19:04

Brick by brick. It's the only way.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Aug 2010 20:17

Have to say that must be one of the worst games I have EVER seen Reading play, seriously if the team we put out could not do better than that then we will soon be in big trouble.

I cannot really remember us putting our stamp on the game, we did not string a good move together over 90 minutes.

The game was also fecking dire, it seems to me that both managers wanted players to take time over anything that stopped football actually being played. I doubt the ball was ever in play for more than 2 minutes, throw in, player picks up balls, looks around a bit, then puts it down for someone else to take, keeper (HAMER) taking kicks from ooposite side to slow it all down.

Was so bad we left at 90 mins, 45 mins later we heard a goal, possibly and assumed torquay had won.

One really good and positive point was Griffin, he can be the new Murty at RB, solid, concentrates, was awesome in a sea of mediocrity

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 12 Aug 2010 20:49

Be honest. I have seen a lot worst. I broke the wall..end of.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Aug 2010 21:01

Harpers So Solid Crew Have to say that must be one of the worst games I have EVER seen Reading play, seriously if the team we put out could not do better than that then we will soon be in big trouble.

I cannot really remember us putting our stamp on the game, we did not string a good move together over 90 minutes.

The game was also fecking dire, it seems to me that both managers wanted players to take time over anything that stopped football actually being played. I doubt the ball was ever in play for more than 2 minutes, throw in, player picks up balls, looks around a bit, then puts it down for someone else to take, keeper (HAMER) taking kicks from ooposite side to slow it all down.

Was so bad we left at 90 mins, 45 mins later we heard a goal, possibly and assumed torquay had won.

One really good and positive point was Griffin, he can be the new Murty at RB, solid, concentrates, was awesome in a sea of mediocrity
Where were you when you "heard a goal" ??

I think we have to remember that it wasn't our first team out there last night - I'm not worried. Yet. :wink:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Aug 2010 21:04

walking back to hotel, we kinda got lost, both ways!!! AA said was 15 mins, we heard a goal about 5 mins frm hotel, so about 25 mins, asssumed they had scored as was so loud.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 12 Aug 2010 22:36

Harpers So Solid Crew walking back to hotel, we kinda got lost, both ways!!! AA said was 15 mins, we heard a goal about 5 mins frm hotel, so about 25 mins, asssumed they had scored as was so loud.

Did you meet Basil and his little nest of vipers?? And did you get breakfast without him talking about the war?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 Aug 2010 09:15

TBF it was a bit like Fawlty towers, they could not find the proper room key for us, so we had a master key, we now have 25 laptops, 100 credit cards, various names, and a large collection of used ladies underwear(not for sale)

http://www.bishopscourtresort.co.uk/

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 Aug 2010 17:29

Bringing this back up because I stayed in torquay and have only just got back.

The game itself was dire Rasiak couldn't assert himself on the torquay defence and we couldn't get a grip on the game. We were lucky that torquay onl;y had league 2 standard strikers because they could of and should of scored a few against us but as was said earlier it was a weakened team so i'm not worried.... yet.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Aug 2010 17:43

parky Bringing this back up because I stayed in torquay and have only just got back.

The game itself was dire Rasiak couldn't assert himself on the torquay defence and we couldn't get a grip on the game. We were lucky that torquay onl;y had league 2 standard strikers because they could of and should of scored a few against us but as was said earlier it was a weakened team so i'm not worried.... yet.

Yes Hamer was in goal, Sigurdsson was away. Muffin was injured. Rasiak/Long/Church/Brayson are all interchangeable anyway - so, overall, not much of a weakened team.....

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Aug 2010 19:14

parky Bringing this back up because I stayed in torquay and have only just got back.

All of them apart from Bignall could realistically start games for Reading this year. Was it their best XI? No probably not but I wasn't impressed by many of the so called first XI players on show.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Aug 2010 19:38

Alan Partridge

All of them apart from Bignall could realistically start games for Reading this year. Was it their best XI? No probably not but I wasn't impressed by many of the so called first XI players on show.

I listened on the radio and the performance sounded desperate but to be fair we won whereas many of our competitors went out to lower league clubs so the result may well give the guys some confidence. I think the season may have started too late for us - looks to me like we were ready for it in July and peaked too early.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1